Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimla Served with Closure Order

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Second time now, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

I went in there once and never again. They had someone in fixing the fridge at the time and the place was nearly empty. Atmosphere zero.

Interesting to note that the majority of the closure orders have been against Indian restaurants.

Discrimination or are the staff/owners of some Indian restaurants dirtier/less hygienic than other nationalities.

Having said that, just across the road from the Shimila, in Coolmine Industrial Estate, is Spice Heaven, which is an Indian takeaway restaurant. When they were upstairs in the building (that they are still in, but downstairs now) you could actually see your food being prepared through a huge window in the wall.

I always like to watch food being prepared. Anytime I was there, their kitchen was always immaculate and their Chicken Tika Masala was georgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I love Shimla.

IMO it is best Indian food in d15.

Hope they fix the issue and re-open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Good to see that the FSAI are visiting and examining lots of food outlets.

I remember a programme on RTE that highlighted jobs that most people don't know about e.g. litter warden and FSAI employee. There are a lot of rules to follow - I don't envy those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I passed by Shimla on Sat evening last and I see all the signage has been removed from the building.

I never bought anything from them myself, as I always noted the complete lack of customers either waiting for take away's or having a sit down meal. Honestly, it amazed me that it had remained in business for so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I passed by Shimla on Sat evening last and I see all the signage has been removed from the building.

I never bought anything from them myself, as I always noted the complete lack of customers either waiting for take away's or having a sit down meal. Honestly, it amazed me that it had remained in business for so long.
    Are you thinking restaurant on clonsilla rd, next to clonsilla inn? If so, they moved from there weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

amdublin wrote: »
    I love Shimla.

IMO it is best Indian food in d15.

Hope they fix the issue and re-open.

I got a take away from there a few times - really good food - more suited to eat in as kind of expensive for a take away - and very slow - 25 minutes wait one time - so havent been in a long time. Sorry to see it closed though hope they get their problems sorted.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

dodzy wrote: »
    Are you thinking restaurant on clonsilla rd, next to clonsilla inn? If so, they moved from there weeks ago.

They have closed the restaurant in Clonsilla and moved to Coolmine Ind Est in the last few weeks, as the address on the orders is Unit 8 Coolmine Ind Est. That they have only been in their "new kitchen" for a relatively short period, to have incurred a closure order and a prohibition order in that period. You would have to some seriously questions over the cooking and preparation hygiene along with the overall management of the operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The issuance of a Prohibition Order is rather unsettling, its not just a non compliment kitchen

From the FSAI site: http://www.fsai.ie/enforcement_audit/enforcement/enforcement_powers.html

"It is issued if the activities (handling, processing, disposal, manufacturing, storage, distribution or selling food) involve or are likely to involve a serious risk to public health from a particular product, class, batch or item of food. The effect is to prohibit the sale of the product, either temporarily or permanently."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'm surprised at the posts looking forward to it re-opening. Bad hygiene and bad practices are hard to unlearn. I'm not a believer in second chances when it comes to food, especially Indian Food where the spices can easily disguise a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

athtrasna wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the posts looking forward to it re-opening. Bad hygiene and bad practices are hard to unlearn. I'm not a believer in second chances when it comes to food, especially Indian Food where the spices can easily disguise a problem.

Don't watch much Kitchen Nightmares then I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

athtrasna wrote: »

Thats a bit rough though? - you are saying one strike and your out of business and staff let go? Its great we have such watchdogs, keeping up important standards - but if the faults are corrected and retested why should they not be allowed to continue business?

Granted this is their second strike though :/ (first I think was kitchen was too small or something)...

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

ozmo wrote: »

Granted this is their second strike though :/ (first I think was kitchen was too small or something)...

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

ozmo wrote: »
    Thats a bit rough though? - you are saying one strike and your out of business and staff let go? Its great we have such watchdogs, keeping up important standards - but if the faults are corrected and retested why should they not be allowed to continue business?

Not rough at all. And two strikes.....should be game over IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Don't watch much Kitchen Nightmares then I take it?

Look at the stats for those places shutting down after the series, the US one in particular is very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

Shimla food was fantastic . Worth the wait and worth the extra couple of quid .

Pity they are gone . Nicest indian iv ever had . EVER

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Hopefully they'll sort the problem and open up again.

Advertisement