Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for someone with a story.

Options
  • 05-07-2013 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭

Might be a bit of a strange one:)

I work as a cameraman/editor. I do loads of weddings and web videos for businesses and the occasional bits and pieces for TV.

I bought a new camera recently and I've been out and about testing it and getting used to it. I want to put it through it's paces properly now by using it on a real shoot (but not one that I'm getting paid for yet, I want to know the camera inside out for that) and what I have in mind is a mini doc (about 3-5 minutes) I just need a subject now:)

If anyone knows anybody with a story to tell, do please get in touch. It could be about anything; it could be happy, sad, funny, or just plain weird.

I'm just looking for an interesting story that I can help tell, and someone who's willing to tell it.

Thank you all!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭NoPasaran

Just make one up, doesn't stop everything else from going viral amongst the goons of Twitter & Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

NoPasaran wrote: »
    Just make one up, doesn't stop everything else from going viral amongst the goons of Twitter & Facebook.

You might have picked me up wrong. This isn't something I'm trying to make go viral. If it comes out well I'll probably have it online so that I can send the link to people interested in hiring me, but its not something I'm actively going to try and push.

As for making something up; I do have a short in mind that I'll probably do with it, but I enjoy real people's real stories better. I find then more engaging and a nice challenge to shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 GCSD

Hi there,
    I recently set up a roller derby team in Galway. You could do a little doc on that?

GCSD wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I recently set up a roller derby team in Galway. You could do a little doc on that?

I had no idea what roller derby was so I had to Google it there.

Certainly looks interesting. Can I ask what made you set it up? Doesn't seem like a very common sport (could be very wrong there though) so I'm just wondering where the idea to set a team up came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Can I ask what made you set it up? Doesn't seem like a very common sport (could be very wrong there though) so I'm just wondering where the idea to set a team up came from.
    Isn't this what you should ask when the camera is rolling?

Badum tisch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Roller Derby would be a great topic for a documentary I'd imagine. Also you'd have a whole team of girls,girls friends ,bfs and people who think it's just girl fights on wheels who'd share it on facebook for you.

I actually only know it as girl fights on wheels so even I ,who'd be terrified of doing it myself, would watch just to see what it was .Particularly if I might see Galway people I know in it.

I think you're onto a winner OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

You could do one with 091 Labs, the Galway maker/hacker space, on the maker culture and volunteerism in Galway.

Disclosure, I'm a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

You could do one with 091 Labs, the Galway maker/hacker space, on the maker culture and volunteerism in Galway.

I think that is a great idea. That is a story about volunteers that i think people should know. Could increase volunteers as well in the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Rollerderby would be a good Doc, team started up last year in Galway and have been growing steady since, have friends who do it and they cannot stop ranting about it, would be great exposure for the team, as well as the camera since you'll have a whole team, and their friends and family sharing it across the web on Facebook/Twitter! :)

Rollerderby would be a good Doc, team started up last year in Galway and have been growing steady since, have friends who do it and they cannot stop ranting about it, would be great exposure for the team, as well as the camera since you'll have a whole team, and their friends and family sharing it across the web on Facebook/Twitter! :)

Do you know who set up the team and why they did it by any chance? Just looking for the reasons behind it to see if there's a strong story there. This one peaks my interest as it could be very interesting visually.

• Advertisement

Who set it up? And do you know why? With the amount of volunteers I imagine are part of it, I'd say there's a wealth of different stories there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

There were a small group of members in the beginning I believe, who answered a call on boards.ie from someone who wanted to set up a hackerspace in Galway.

Why? Mutual interest. Other major cities have hackerspaces. You'd have to ask them.

You can get more info at the website 091labs.com
    or by posting the public mailing list https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/091labs-public

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MagicianBF

Hullo Average-Ro,

I have yet another suggestion (as you are luckily located in Galway) a docu on the street performers of Galway. I'm a stilt-walker and fire performer and know most of the usual Galway buskers, and am on the way to making friends with the new ones out here for the Galway Arts Festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

If you need a second camera man I'll gladly volunteer. Bought a DSLR camera last year and have done four short films to date. Looking to maybe find/start a collective of amateur filmmakers here to work on projects together. PM me if interested!

What about the origins of boards.ie - Cloud is here in Galway

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1

Advertisement