Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do i feed my pup.

• 05-07-2013 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

Hi all - new pup owner here - does anyone have the pedigree vital protection puppy food:
    We have a 2kg dog, 8 weeks old - do we feed it 90 grms 4 times a day or 90 grms divided into 4 meals.

Very confusing package instructions: any advice please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

dball wrote: »
    Hi all - new pup owner here - does anyone have the pedigree vital protection puppy food:
    We have a 2kg dog, 8 weeks old - do we feed it 90 grms 4 times a day or 90 grms divided into 4 meals.

Very confusing package instructions: any advice please
    Ok the first thing you need to do is post pics of the puppy!! :D

Assuming whats on their site matches your bag the line at the top is the dogs expected adult weight..Now for a lab I'd be going for about 25kgs so you'd be feeding 235 divided into 4 meals. The reason I'm saying 25kg is because you want to keep the pup lean so it doesn't get fat and damage it's bones and joints before they're fully formed.
    Just a heads up - pedigree is complete rubbish!..but don't just switch to a new food - you need to slowly swich over say 2 weeks - gradually increasing the new food and decreasing the pedigree.
    We'll have a new retriever pup in 2 weeks and she'll be fed raw like her big brother but there's tons of good quality foods that won't break the bank eg barking heads and taste of the wild - you want imo something that's cereal free as labs can have sensitive tummies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭dball

tk123 wrote: »
    Ok the first thing you need to do is post pics of the puppy!! :D

Assuming whats on their site matches your bag the line at the top is the dogs expected adult weight..Now for a lab I'd be going for about 25kgs so you'd be feeding 235 divided into 4 meals. The reason I'm saying 25kg is because you want to keep the pup lean so it doesn't get fat and damage it's bones and joints before they're fully formed.
    Just a heads up - pedigree is complete rubbish!..but don't just switch to a new food - you need to slowly swich over say 2 weeks - gradually increasing the new food and decreasing the pedigree.
    We'll have a new retriever pup in 2 weeks and she'll be fed raw like her big brother but there's tons of good quality foods that won't break the bank eg barking heads and taste of the wild - you want imo something that's cereal free as labs can have sensitive tummies.

sorry don't have a pic yet, its a cross between a springer spaniel (bitch) and
    a cavalier king Charles.- had him at the vet yesterday and he is 2.5 kgs, 8 weeks old.
    I agree with the dog food choice being poor - we spoke to the vet about it and plan to change him gradually in the next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

dball wrote: »
    cross between a springer spaniel (bitch) and
    a cavalier king Charles.- .

Lol I was talking to somebody about Labrador pups before I posted so must had them on the brain :p. In that case you're probably best to play it safe with 90g divided into 4 meal and see how he gets on.

thought as much:thanks
    for the record the pup is well able to put away 2 servings of 45 grams and prob would have been able for another 2
    which would have been me double feeding him - the little sh1t!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I'm currently feeding my Ridgeback puppy four times a day on Burns Puppy. He also gets a drink of goats milk with his last meal which he loves. He is now 11 weeks.

• Advertisement

thanks for all your replies - no i wasn't over feeding him but he is a very hungry dog.
    Were feeding him 3 times a day now the recommended amount and he is a lunatic when it comes to being fed. in fact its very funny (i must record it) He sees me grabbing the food bowl and he is off - circling and circling whil following me to the food and then when its placed down in front of him - its like he has never seen a meal in a week. 30 seconds later its all over - 10 minutes later and he is on the prowl following every move around the kitchen - in the hope of getting a scrap or a crumb.
    Are all dogs this mad when it comes to food or will he calm down.
    Hes 15 weeks now

:pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd recommend getting him a slow down food bowl then (can be done by putting a ball in the middle for example) as it's not good for them to hover it all down to quickly.

Advertisement