Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

€1000 to €1500 to spend - Alarm or CCTV ??

• 05-07-2013 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭

I have between €1000 and €1500 to spend on security for my house. I have the house pre-wired for an alarm. But i am torn between getting a burglar alarm or a CCTV system.

My big fear is people breaking in and ripping out copper etc and destroying the house. Which option would people recommend? Its a detached house on edge of town. Plenty of neighbours.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭kub

Great question, ok most of us on here install both systems. Its a case of horse's for courses.
    A CCTV system will record a scene for you, however it may only provide you with adequate playback after an event has occurred, there are too many variables, weather, illumination and of course were the intruders wearing hoodies, is the reg of their vehicle identifiable, etc.

So I would recommend you start with an alarm, if specified correctly it should activate before the intruder actually gains access to your property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Initially i wanted to get the alarm but i don't have a landline so i was looking to have it configured to call my mobile phone if the alarm activated. I have since heard that burglars can use blockers to block the signal. Then i started thinking on CCTV instead.

woodoo wrote: »
    Initially i wanted to get the alarm but i don't have a landline so i was looking to have it configured to call my mobile phone if the alarm activated. I have since heard that burglars can use blockers to block the signal. Then i started thinking on CCTV instead.

What you heard about intruders and GSM blockers is true, I will be mindful of my comments on a public forum here now, but if you have a reputable installer he will have a solution to this fear.
    Did you mention you had neighbours? Sometimes they can provide the best response, if so you may not for now require a GSM type solution.

kub wrote: »
    What you heard about intruders and GSM blockers is true, I will be mindful of my comments on a public forum here now, but if you have a reputable installer he will have a solution to this fear.
    Did you mention you had neighbours? Sometimes they can provide the best response, if so you may not for now require a GSM type solution.

I think i'll go ahead with the alarm system. I won't bother with the communicator to mobile though. What system would you recommend (if boards allows).

I think i'll go ahead with the alarm system. I won't bother with the communicator to mobile though. What system would you recommend (if boards allows).

For a house that is prewired you have a choice of HKC or Siemens. Also please make sure that your installer has a PSA licence. If you have any further queries you know where we are.
    Good choice, by the way.

• Advertisement

For a house that is prewired you have a choice of HKC or Siemens. Also please make sure that your installer has a PSA licence. If you have any further queries you know where we are.
    Good choice, by the way.

One of the guys who priced me was selling Napco. Have you heard much about them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

I would go for both .... Cctv and an alarm. Easily achievable on that budget and the house being wired saves money.
    The visonic powermaster system has Pirs that have built in cameras .. When the alarm is set and these are tripped they alert the monitoring station with an alarm signal and video footage .
    Or you could go for separate systems such as HKC or siemens and 2-4 cameras and a DVR with remote access.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The downside to the Powermaster is the PiRs are not viewable by the end user.
    Unacceptable by most users wanting a CCTV system I'd imagine.

KoolKid wrote: »
    The downside to the Powermaster is the PiRs are not viewable by the end user.
    Unacceptable by most users wanting a CCTV system I'd imagine.

There is alot to think about. I know very little about home security. What system or set up would you recommend koolkid?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Spend the money on a Siemens SPC4320 alarm with IP access & then add IP cameras. Siemens IP cameras would be supported via SPC Anywhere App and you could add an NVR later.

• Advertisement

Are you certain about this on the powermaster system ?
    Last I checked the cameras recordings can be sent to a server and then emailed to 4 email addresses .. Most smart phone can utilise this .

It probably can do that. That would not be remote viewing in my book.
    Most other systems allow live viewing via phone app or web browser.
    Many also allow playback.
    Compared to that the Powermaster is a poor option.
    I also find most people want CCTV externally .

Jeeze you should really do your homework ..
    Im talking about a monitored system ..
    I wouldn't bother with the SPC I'd get two separate systems if the powermaster wouldn't suit .

I am referring to the OPs original request re CCTV or Alarm.
    In my experience most people want a CCTV system that's viewable & accessible by them not a monitoring station.
    The Powermaster is primarily an alarm verification system aimed at the UK market where there are proposals for large fines on householders where the police are called out to false alarms on residential properties.
    2 Separate systems would be an option, but with IP being the way forward IP cameras and a NVR could integrate & be incorporated into SPC giving the benefit of both.
    As the OP is working to a budget , adding IP to a SPC system initially would allow some CCTV viewable remotely over an app. This gives the benefit of adding a NVR later to make it a separate system as you suggested. It also allows you to go the monitored route and use the images for alarm verification if you wish.
    The difference here is you have access to your own cameras either way.
    You also have a larger range of IP cameras to choose from as opposed to the fixed PiR ones from Powermaster.

Just re the Powermaster, didn't the OP mention that the house was prewired?

Terrible waste of alarm cables

Just re the Powermaster, didn't the OP mention that the house was prewired?

Terrible waste of alarm cables

He did.!
    I have the house pre-wired for an alarm.

Its really hard to see any benefit here for the Powermaster.
    Don't get me wrong, its a good system at what it does.. But I don't think its what the OP is looking for.

Don't get me wrong, its a good system at what it does.. But I don't think its what the OP is looking for.

Thats right, i would like to make use of the pre-wired set up.

SPC is really giving you the best of all options here.

what kind of picture quality can you get on the SPC ? What's the video playback like ?

With SPC your using IP. Depends on the MP of the camera your using.

• Advertisement

What's the playback like though ?

Op you could get a HKC system and a separate CCTV system with a DVR Recorder easily for that budget .. Would probably be the best option .

Playback would depend on the camera as well as the NVR thats used.
    What would be the advantage of using a HKC system over SPC on this application?

Not just HKC but the Siemens ect would be fine . A separate camera system would be less hassle . Catching myself out here but if one was to go down it won't drag the other down with it .

I think separate systems are the ultimate goal of the OP. But in the meantime SPC has the added benefit of being able to add some IP cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

If it's a question if one of the other, Get the alarm system first. You can buy a dummy camera with any change you have to suit you temporarily.

He should easily have enough to get the two done on that budget .
    Any installer looking for €1000 for a pre- wired system is crazy unless the house has loads of access points.
    How many accessible doors and windows have you OP ?

€1500 to do both correctly is not enough...
    Any installer doing an alarm & CCTV job for that is shopping in China.

Really ???? I know companies installing HKC gear For €700-€800 prewired and good CCTV for €450 -€600

Then you definition of high quality & good differs from mine.;)

• Advertisement

Then you definition of high quality & good differs from mine.;)

All depends on the cameras placement :)
    The cameras they are using are sony 700tvl Vf

Advertisement