Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cook a coconut milk based curry

Options
  • 05-07-2013 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭

Okay, I've good curry paste, coconut milk, wholemeal rice, peppers, onions, chillis, chill flakes, oil etc.

How do I make a coconut curry and do I need to put prawns or chicken into it? What other ingredients do I need?

Any help would be appreciated - I'm starving and a terrible cook!!!:D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There are some really good curry recipes in the cooking Club - here's the list of recipes for 2010, 2011 and 2012 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056501486
    There's one here from this year http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056172200, and even more in the Cooking & Recipes forum of you do a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I find a teaspoon of sugar and a dash fish sauce/soya really improves a curry made with coconut milk.

For some reason, I tend to use different veg depending on the colour of the paste.

For a green paste, I usually add mushrooms and brocolli with chicken. The brocolli soaks up the curry sauce and releases it when bitten into...nice.

For red paste, I normally use carrot and mange tout with chicken.

Have never tried yellow.

Prawns would go very well also. I never use onions with thai curry. Don't think they really go with the overall dish.

I usually fry the paste with a bit of oil, add the milk, bring to a light boil, add the chicken and veg. Reduce the heat and cook for 20 mins. Add sugar and fish sauce towards the end. I have no idea if this method is right or wrong but it always turns out nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Biggest problem with using coconut milk is that if you boil it, it will split so keep an eye on it and just keep it simmering once you add it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

per person use 1 tbs paste, 200ml coconut milk and 200ml stock.

Heat the oil in a wok or pan, add the garlic and curry paste and fry for 30secs.
    Add the sliced chicken and a couple of tablespoons of the coconut milk and fry for about 3 minutes.
    Add the veg, keep the pan hydrated by adding small amounts of coconut milk and cook for 2 minutes.
    Add the rest of the coconut milk and then the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 5mins or until the veg is tender.
    Add the palm sugar and the fish sauce 1tbs at a time to taste.
    Stir in the basil leaves and serve.

coconut milk doesn't split in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Coconut milk does split. I agree with others the trick is to not let it boil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I have palm sugar, it came in a little plastic cup like container, like you get that ice-cream with red and green stripes in it.

It's like a hardened brown block - what is the method for using this? How do I remove the sugar from the block in an efficient manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have palm sugar, it came in a little plastic cup like container, like you get that ice-cream with red and green stripes in it.

It's like a hardened brown block - what is the method for using this? How do I remove the sugar from the block in an efficient manner?

Just shave it off with a knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Coconut milk does split. I agree with others the trick is to not let it boil.
    Good quality coconut milk/cream tends to not split too easily. Which is probably why you had that issue and Curry addict didn't.

I use a small cheese grater. A micro-place would work well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Mellor wrote: »
    Good quality coconut milk/cream tends to not split too easily. Which is probably why you had that issue and Curry addict didn't.

Absolutely. Chaokoh does not split on me, ever.

emaleth wrote: »
    Absolutely. Chaokoh does not split on me, ever.

i also use Chaokoh its my favorite. sometimes i make my own which i would highly recommend as it makes a massive difference to the end result.

• Advertisement

i bash it with a hammer until it cracks and then use a mortar and pestle to grind it down, its very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

sometimes i make my own which i would highly recommend as it makes a massive difference to the end result.

My mammy makes her own too. She would grate the coconut flesh, mix it with a bit of boiling water and squeeze the milk out -- this would become the first 'press' or thick milk.
    She would then pour more water and get 2nd press or thin milk out of this.
    The thin milk is what you use to boil the paste with. Towards the end of the cooking, around 10 minutes, pour in the thick milk. You won't have long to cook then, so it prevents the split.

This method can be used similarly with canned coconut milk -- scoop aside the top half that's creamy to add in towards the end, and use the bottom half that's watery at the beginning of cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DianaN

I know its not exactly what you asked, as you already have the paste but I just made this Indonesian curry last night.

I've made curries before but this was by far and away my best effort.
    I'm having some frineds to stay next weekend and wanted to practice.

Tasted brilliant. I cooked it late, then let it cool, and stuck it in the fridge. Reheated some for lunch and the only way I can describe it is lush.

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/106/Kari-ayam-%28chicken-curry%29/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

DianaN wrote: »
    I know its not exactly what you asked, as you already have the paste but I just made this Indonesian curry last night.

I've made curries before but this was by far and away my best effort.
    I'm having some frineds to stay next weekend and wanted to practice.

Tasted brilliant. I cooked it late, then let it cool, and stuck it in the fridge. Reheated some for lunch and the only way I can describe it is lush.

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/106/Kari-ayam-%28chicken-curry%29/
    Looks good, the only thing I am missing is the Belachan and thats pretty important.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DianaN

I didn't have any so I just used 2 tbs fish sauce.
    Didn't have candlenuts either, but googled a bit and found that although thy have a bitter type taste they are mainly used for the oil content and could be left out.

Still tasted lovely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

DianaN wrote: »
    Didn't have candlenuts either, but googled a bit and found that although thy have a bitter type taste they are mainly used for the oil content and could be left out.

Candlenuts can be replaced with macadamia, brazil or almond.

Advertisement