Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweet Potatoes

Options
  • 05-07-2013 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to improve my evening meals which basically consist of a pile of veg fried and either stirred through with sauce and served with rice or used as a wrap filling or to fill out a pasta.

I've bought some sweet potatoes and I'm already bored with them. I've chipped them in the oven, mashed them and baked them, but still I find their texture soo soft - unlike the normal potato.

What can I do to liven these things up and get some texture and taste going?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I too have experienced disappointment with the sweet potato!

I've tried roasting them - hated the texture.

I've put pieces in red thai curry and it was lovely the first day but got a bit too soft for my liking by the next day. I still enjoyed it, but I recall a few pieces of sweet potato left on the plate.

The only way I've thoroughly enjoyed sweet potato is by making them into mash with normal spud, celery [most important ingredient for the overall taste] and maybe some carrot. I just peel/chop all the veg and steam them. Mash with butter etc. It's really really nice and hearty. Easy to make and brightens up a simple meat and two veg dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I use them to make fish cakes with coriander and lemon juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 moopants

Thinly sliced, they should crisp up well in the oven (drizzle of oil,salt, and whatever seasoning you like).
    Alternatively, they can go well in a curry or soup, but should be cubed, browned and then not left in the liquid too long.

Might be a silly question, but if you prefer the texture of regular potatoes, why not just us them ?

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Cut them into big wedges, drizzle with olive oil & then sprinkle with ground cumin/coriander/chili/paprika (whatever takes your fancy). Goes lovely with a couple of chops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I love sweet potatoes - I tend to mix them with normal potatoes when I am making homemade wedges in the oven - they love pepper.

They also work well in a salad, in little squares - sometimes I fry them in butter in the pan (if you are into butter that is) or oil if you are not (or watching your cholestrol) the butter is far superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

I saw a recipe for butternut squash that turned out delicious, should work similar with sweet potato ?

Cut the squash into thick rings (no need to peel) and then brown one side for a few minutes in a hot pan with butter. Put into an oven-proof tray, browned side up and pour in your juice (I used a mixture of stock and red wine, but could use anything flavoursome) to just below the top of the squash ring.

Simmer for about 25 minutes, then serve and eat ! The top part is crispy from the browning, and the rest is soft and tender, plus it picks up the flavour of the stock/wine/juice.

Went well with venison which I also browned and then cooked for a few minutes in the oven.
    F.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Cats.Whiskers

Sweet Potato Recipe - A dessert option not a dinner one

Probably not what your looking for but if you've sweet potatoes left over - I've made these 3 or 4 times and they're yum

Dan leopard's Sweet Potato Brownies

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/aug/19/sweet-potato-brownies-recipe-lepard

Dan-Lepard-sweet-potato-b-007.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

twerg_85 wrote: »
    I saw a recipe for butternut squash that turned out delicious, should work similar with sweet potato ?

Cut the squash into thick rings (no need to peel) and then brown one side for a few minutes in a hot pan with butter. Put into an oven-proof tray, browned side up and pour in your juice (I used a mixture of stock and red wine, but could use anything flavoursome) to just below the top of the squash ring.

Simmer for about 25 minutes, then serve and eat ! The top part is crispy from the browning, and the rest is soft and tender, plus it picks up the flavour of the stock/wine/juice.

Went well with venison which I also browned and then cooked for a few minutes in the oven.
    F.

Unfortunately, even a whole sweet potato would be mush after 25 minutes of simmering. Cut into rings, it would just disappear. I'll definitely try that with squash, though.

Anyway, given the weather that's in it, sweet potato is fantastic on the barbie. Scrub well, dry off, but don't peel. Cut into 1cm thick rings, then toss in a large bowl with a little oil, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and cumin to taste. Make sure each slice is well coated, then stick on the barbie and grill for about 5 mins each side until just beginning to blacken.

Another great combo for this is oil, salt, pepper, the zest of a lemon and an extremely finely chopped red chilli.

Advertisement