Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

El Gato wrote: »
    €5.80 per hour? National minimum wage is €8.65 per hour which again proves that this scheme is exploitative

Maybe it proves the minimum wage is too high
    The minimum minimum is 6.06 anyway, it's not miles off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭El Gato

First off, way to let me know how important and smart you are. Second off, apologies, my brain wandered and I put El Gato instead of Ed Castle.

Not important or smart, just worked hard throughout my life and continue to do so....Only on reflection of your post I guessed that you had listed the wrong name ;)

bluewolf wrote: »
    Maybe it proves the minimum wage is too high

Not for the prices charged in this country COL etc

The minimum minimum is 6.06 anyway, it's not miles off

For someone under 18 and technically (as listed previously) the rate would be €1.25 per hour, so yes, miles off

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Better jobs?

If you can't get an entry level job by your own dint, why should the state plonk you into a "better" one?

The scheme was designed and advertised from the start with aiming to provide unemployed people with work experience employers with free labour at tax payer's expense so they have no need to hired paid staff, which it exactly does.

fixed your post

In relation to this whole issue.

If a company is serious about providing an internship with the intention of developing the intern for a particular role within the company, they will NOT use a scheme like this. They will PAY the intern (maybe not the salaried level but €10/€11 per hour for the duration of the internship) and provided the intern progresses to the expected level by the end of the internship, make an offer of full employment at a proper salaried level.

The majority of companies who use this scheme have no intention of mentoring the slave 'intern' to develop them to become a productive permanent member of the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If someone has no experience and can't even get a minimum wage job in the field, why would a company suddenly say ok we'll pay more than min wage? And how is that an internship any more? :confused:

If someone has no experience and can't even get a minimum wage job in the field, why would a company suddenly say ok we'll pay more than min wage? And how is that an internship any more? :confused:

I'm not talking about minimum wage jobs. In reality, internships are mainly a prelude to 'white collar' jobs.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/27/intern-history-apprenticeship-leadership-careers-jobs.html

If you read my post again, I said that a real internships are offered by companies who have a need for a particular role, want to fill the role and develop the intern into a full member of the company.

Many companies offering real internships will also pay a proper wage. how do I know? because I have experience of this.

There are REAL internships out there and offer REAL job prospects, it just takes a little more digging than just going on the FAS website every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I was at an interview with FAS today. I was told by a new law if you turn down a internship that they put your name forward for than you will recieve penalties from the social. Surely this cant be right if you think the job is not helping you get experience in what you studied in surely you can keep looking for a internship that suits.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I was at an interview with FAS today. I was told by a new law if you turn down a internship that they put your name forward for than you will recieve penalties from the social. Surely this cant be right if you think the job is not helping you get experience in what you studied in surely you can keep looking for a internship that suits.

What 'law' was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What 'law' was this?

I don't know maybe he is spoofing me but i am not sure if i can get cut for refusing to take up an offered position. I have got a letter after an interview asking if i am still interested. I need to reply to them to let them know if i am still interested. I fear if i say no i will get cut in my social welfare payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nuts102 wrote: »

So if you do a internship and not get hired, they will leave you alone after its completed seeing they will not be able to find anymore jobs for you.

I have searched and cannot find a 'law' in relation to this.

If there are penalties for refusing, you COULD - accept the position and on the 1st day give the required 1 weeks notice citing 'reasons'

Just a few links I found while looking for the 'Jobbridge Law'....

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/jobbridge-should-be-abandoned-1.738894

http://www.irishkop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19289

http://rabble.ie/2011/09/20/planet-of-the-interns-the-dark-side-of-job-bridge/

Xenji wrote: »
    So if you do a internship and not get hired, they will leave you alone after its completed seeing they will not be able to find anymore jobs for you.

At present, the maximum number of internships an individual is permitted to do is 2.

But, as with everything else these cûnts in gov't do, they'll probably change that too to allow unlimited number of internships per person.

In response to an earlier question regarding refusing an internship:

"A spokesman for the Department of Social Protection defended the JobBridge scheme, adding that an evaluation of the scheme is under way..... Participation in the scheme is voluntary and an intern may contact the JobBridge team at any stage of their internship for advice and support. Consequently any individual, who suspects that an internship may be in breach of the scheme’s criteria, including cases of suspected displacement and quality, may contact the JobBridge Unit of the department."

From this article.. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/jobbridge-should-be-abandoned-1.738894

Wonder where the report by Indecon International Economic Consultants is?

“The department have commissioned an independent evaluation of the scheme. Indecon International Economic Consultants have been engaged to assess the design, delivery and impact of JobBridge. It is anticipated that this report will be available at year end 2012 and full details of this report will be made publicly available,” the spokesman said said....

http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/Indecon-Report-on-Evaluation-of-JobBridge.pdf

I have not read the report yet so anyone with a unbiased synopsis and not an 'interpretation' is welcomed :)

At present, the maximum number of internships an individual is permitted to do is 2.

You can have a maximum of 2 internships. However, the total time you can spend on JobBridge is 9 months (39 weeks). So when I am finished my 9 month one, one I have already been told that I will not be kept on at the end of it, I will go back on the 188 euro and try to find a new job, the social cannot force me take another job as all they offer are internships at the moment and cannot cut my rate as they cannot offer me another internship.

If they have told you they will not be keeping you on this early, surly that's grounds not to take up the role as there is no possibility of ongoing work with the host.....or...maybe not.....

If they have told you they will not be keeping you on this early, surly that's grounds not to take up the role as there is no possibility of ongoing work with the host.....or...maybe not.....

I am 4 months into it and I am enjoying it, I will have a lot to put on my CV when I am done, they knew when they advertised for it that they would not be hiring anyone after the 9 months, as it is with a County Council and they still have a moratorium on hiring.

I am 4 months into it and I am enjoying it, I will have a lot to put on my CV when I am done, they knew when they advertised for it that they would not be hiring anyone after the 9 months, as it is with a County Council and they still have a moratorium on hiring.

IMO, county councils and gov't offices should NOT be allowed to use this scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

IMO, county councils and gov't offices should NOT be allowed to use this scheme.

But it helps cut the public sector bill so they can say they're doing a great job in cutting it... just like it cuts the figures of unemployed. I'm sure it makes perfect sense if you're planning on running for re-election

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Run my website for six months but be warned,your getting nothing for doing it (at least he's honest i s'pose)

http://foot.ie/threads/181164-Foot-ie-General-IT-amp-Admin-Internship-Available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Run my website for six months but be warned,your getting nothing for doing it (at least he's honest i s'pose)

http://foot.ie/threads/181164-Foot-ie-General-IT-amp-Admin-Internship-Available

That's good experience too. Can get Web Master and System Administrator down on your CV. Good for somebody who might just be f**kin around for the next few months otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

People think a 6 - 12 month gap of unemployment on their CV is HUGE .It's not!
    That internship is just taking the drudgery off someone elses shoulders and placing it fair and square on somebody elses.
    You won't get much out of this internship-a headache maybe-set up your own website and reap the benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Wompa1 wrote: »
    That's good experience too. Can get Web Master and System Administrator down on your CV. Good for somebody who might just be f**kin around for the next few months otherwise.

Without this scheme, someone would probably be doing this for him/her for around €100e a week part time and no expense to the Government and tax-payers.

How can the Government end this scheme when they don't want the 5,000-plus on itback on the live register? I suppose it will just keep running and until it ends, there will be a lot of genuine jobseekers stuck on the dole.

This system should be getting the media expose as a sham that it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 demondoug

im doing a jobbridge because the only way i could get work was doing this because
    most of the jobs in fas seem to be jobbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Glad your enjoying it. Shame the council laid me off after 4 years only for my position to be replaced with a jobbridge. Government should f**king burn for this scheme.

Every single thing the gov put their hand to they f**k up. Banks/housing market etc. Now they are destroying any remnants of a jobs market.

edit: Sorry, I forgot to add that when I was unemployed every proper 'paying' job dissapeared overnight with the introduction of this scam/scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

maybe i should advertise a position for a slave - would be cheaper than a wife :P

how does this advert look?

House cleaner wanted - 9 month jobsbridge scheme

here you will gain valuable knowledge about my disgusting living habits

you will be responsible for cleaning up after my lazy fat ass, washing my clothes, cooking my meals, tidying my flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭SugarCoat

gutteruu wrote: »
    Glad your enjoying it. Shame the council laid me off after 4 years only for my position to be replaced with a jobbridge. Government should f**king burn for this scheme.

Every single thing the gov put their hand to they f**k up. Banks/housing market etc. Now they are destroying any remnants of a jobs market.

edit: Sorry, I forgot to add that when I was unemployed every proper 'paying' job dissapeared overnight with the introduction of this scam/scheme.

Hearing that even the government itself has used this scheme to displace its staff is absolutely sickening and certainly proves that it is rotten to the core :mad:. I wonder if certain cases have sufficent grounds for legal action if people could prove that X number of people were let go and X number of people were introduced on jobbridge to do the same job.

Is it also possible that there could be a breach of EU laws if jobseekers are being forced to take up positions in jobbridge to avoid having their dole cut? Another factor is that in the US and UK, the difference between an unpaid internship and an employee is becoming much more clearcut after cases of exploitation have been brought to attention.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/unpaid-internships-legal-understanding-court-recent-rulings-170448397.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

SugarCoat wrote: »
    Hearing that even the government itself has used this scheme to displace its staff is absolutely sickening and certainly proves that it is rotten to the core :mad:. I wonder if certain cases have sufficent grounds for legal action if people could prove that X number of people were let go and X number of people were introduced on jobbridge to do the same job.
    [/URL]

They will use the excuse there was a 12+ month gap between when they laid off over 400 of us (just my council) and when they took on the jobbridge replacements. Its a shame most of the people who could bring a case probably had to emigrate.

The worst part is this new bull$hit of "Jobplus" scheme. Where they pay the employer 7.5-10k euro cash to take on someone who is unemployed more than 12 months. This means anyone who loses their job has to be on the dole a minimum 12 months to compete for any job. The government should be hung for screwing up the leftovers of our jobs market. I pity the poor politician that comes canvasing to my door next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

gutteruu wrote: »
    They will use the excuse there was a 12+ month gap between when they laid off over 400 of us (just my council) and when they took on the jobbridge replacements. Its a shame most of the people who could bring a case probably had to emigrate.

I think that applies to any position that has been made redundant - I think the law states the employer can't refill the position for 6 months or sometime like that.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,409 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

just got rejected a internship which i have a third level qulification in. They siad '
    'We have had a great deal of interest and we have shortlisted suitable candidates for interview. unfortunatly you have not been successful at this time'.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( (Sometimes you wonder is life worth it)

Advertisement