Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

What is it about Jobbridge's supporters and their total lack of empathy for the unemployed? Methinks it's down to too many times **** to "Atlas Shrugged".

I'm fairly apathetic to Job-bridge to be honest, it's a good idea that has been poorly implemented and taken advantage of by certain employers to get cheap workers.

My problem is with people who can't get a job easily complaining about things they can change themselves to increase their employment prospects.

No one owes you your dream job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I'm fairly apathetic to Job-bridge to be honest, it's a good idea that has been poorly implemented and taken advantage of by certain employers to get cheap workers.

My problem is with people who can't get a job easily complaining about things they can change themselves to increase their employment prospects.

Who is after a dream job? A job that pays a fair wage is what I want - and that doesn't mean a job that pays below minimum wage and is subsidised by the State.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

There are not enough jobs on Earth, for all of the unemployed people on Earth - do you want all of them to emigrate looking for work?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

There are not enough jobs on Earth, for all of the unemployed people on Earth - do you want all of them to emigrate looking for work?

The last time it happened was great craic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migration_Period

What of all the people who can't just pack up and move, those with families, mortgages and the dozens of other things that keep someone at home. And even for those that can move it's not like there are loads of jobs out there, there are very few and competition is fierce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

sligoface wrote: »
    If I was derailing the thread I'd hear about it from a mod. Your posts are hardly adding much to it in fairness, your last post was two words calling me cynical. It's a government implemented program which allows unwaged work in menial jobs, what else can you call it? It's not an internship, an internship is supposed to be training for a career. Show me another country where people do internships to wait tables or clean cars. Show me a country where people who wait on others for free are called anything but servants. Maybe then I'll cop on and say it's all fine and dandy that jobbridge is replacing what has always been entry level paid work with free labor.

Its not unwaged, you are just going overboard. If you have read the thread you'll know i have spoken out about those types of internships on a regular basis.

So yes, its not legal slavery. Cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Its not unwaged, you are just going overboard. If you have read the thread you'll know i have spoken out about those types of internships on a regular basis.

So yes, its not legal slavery. Cop on.

I'll cop on when youshow me where the wages are and who is paying them. There is no wage. I guess if you consider the dole a wage, sure. But I don't, do you know why? Because in most cases the unemployed person has paid tax for years, which in turn entitles them to unemployment benefits if they lose their job. They paid into the same organization that now pays them their dole.

Also, we have a minimum wage of 8.65 per hour, so if you are working for less than that it's not a proper wage. How can you call it a wage at all when the payment is from the dept of social protection, not the company who profits from the labor? It's a basic subsistence payment to ensure you can afford necessities while you seek work. Not be your 'wage', while you do a forty hour week!

Or do you consider the extra fifty euro to be the wage? Because that's laughable. It equates to 1.25 per hour in a forty hour week. That's 14.5 percent of the min. wage. But I suppose you're right, it's not totally unpaid. And if I sell a car worth 2 grand for 14.5% of itr's value (290.00), technically I didn't give it away, but...

The county I live in has the highest percentage of people on jobbridge. A quick search on the Fas site shows more internships here are available than jobs. More than half of the shop units in town are empty (that's not an estimate by the way). Sligo County Council, for anyone that doesn't know, is bankrupt and seeking a bailout. Meanwhile our local politicians are claiming numbers like this:

Cawley, Veronica (Ind) €88,771
    McGrath, Pat (FG) €79,775
    Mullaney, Gerard (FG) €75,975
    Fleming, Michael (FG) €72,693
    Mulvey, Dara (FG) €70,981
    Barrett, Mary (FG) €68,408
    Lyons, Matt (FG) €66,654
    McGarry, Jim (Lab) €65,442
    Lundy, Jerry (FF) €60,048
    Keany, Hubert (FG) €57,763
    Collery, Thomas, (FG) €55,253
    O'Grady, Rosaleen (FF) €55,247
    Baker, Martin (FF) €55,021
    Queenan, Joe (FF) €54,211
    Barry, Patsy (FF) €53,736
    MacManus, Sean (SF) €53,476
    Clarke, Michael (Ind) €53,057
    Devins, Jude (FF) €51,975
    Murray, Gerry FG (RIP) €51,108
    Healy-McGowan (FF) €50,796
    Gormley, Margaret (Ind) €50,792
    Cawley, David, (FG) €50,665
    Bree, Declan, (Ind) €50,367
    McLoughlin, Aoife (FG) C/O €47,119
    Leonard, Joe (FG) €44,581
    (From http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=31068)

It's not me going overboard, it's our greedy politicians who are going overboard spending our taxes while implementing schemes like this to lie to the public about unemployment figures and replacing real jobs with internships while calling it training. When you have people falling for this crap and thinking it's brilliant that people are being made to 'get of the couch' etc, it makes my blood boil. There is already a shortage of jobs and they are now allowing jobs to be replaced by free labour, which isn't actually free at all because the taxpayer pays for all of it.

Yes I'm aware of the option to move from this deadzone county (as if it never occurred to me) but the Catch-22 is I can't afford to unless I get a job because the dole barely covers expenses now and I can't save the amount needed to move to a city. I actually moved here from an even smaller town up in Donegal because there was no work there and I got a job here. When it closed I went to college here also. But despite feeling like Sligo is my home now, I would move if I could afford it and had an offer of work, I'd do it in a heartbeat because it's so depressing here now with nothing but internships on offer and no jobs.

And I'm not looking for my dream job, my last jobs were 12 hr nights in a factory, waiter in a hotel, and working in a call centre. My first job was at 16 working the fryer in McD's. They all sucked pretty bad but you get on with it for the paycheck. But calling 238 a week a wage, when you consider living costs in this country is way off the mark IMO. If anyone thinks the dole is a wage it must be a while since they've had to try and live off of it. I know people who are living independently and have had their dole cut to 144 euro because they are under 25. Fas couses don't even pay the full 188 for young people anymore, so young people are being forced to take up internships just for 194 a week so they can survive. It's as close to slavery as you can get. If you don't see that, I think it's you who needs to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's as close to slavery as you can get. If you don't see that, I think it's you who needs to cop on.

The issues with jobbridge can be aired without comparing it to an existence in which people were treated as property to be bought and sold, held against their will, forced to work, and vulnerable to a range of abuses without any recourse to law.

You do yourself no favours by continuing to equate the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'll cop on when youshow me where the wages are and who is paying them. There is no wage. I guess if you consider the dole a wage, sure. But I don't, do you know why? Because in most cases the unemployed person has paid tax for years, which in turn entitles them to unemployment benefits if they lose their job. They paid into the same organization that now pays them their dole.

Also, we have a minimum wage of 8.65 per hour, so if you are working for less than that it's not a proper wage. How can you call it a wage at all when the payment is from the dept of social protection, not the company who profits from the labor? It's a basic subsistence payment to ensure you can afford necessities while you seek work. Not be your 'wage', while you do a forty hour week!

Or do you consider the extra fifty euro to be the wage? Because that's laughable. It equates to 1.25 per hour in a forty hour week. That's 14.5 percent of the min. wage. But I suppose you're right, it's not totally unpaid. And if I sell a car worth 2 grand for 14.5% of itr's value (290.00), technically I didn't give it away, but...

The county I live in has the highest percentage of people on jobbridge. A quick search on the Fas site shows more internships here are available than jobs. More than half of the shop units in town are empty (that's not an estimate by the way). Sligo County Council, for anyone that doesn't know, is bankrupt and seeking a bailout. Meanwhile our local politicians are claiming numbers like this:

Mullaney, Gerard (FG) €75,975
    Fleming, Michael (FG) €72,693
    Mulvey, Dara (FG) €70,981
    Barrett, Mary (FG) €68,408
    Lyons, Matt (FG) €66,654
    McGarry, Jim (Lab) €65,442
    Lundy, Jerry (FF) €60,048
    Keany, Hubert (FG) €57,763
    O'Grady, Rosaleen (FF) €55,247
    Baker, Martin (FF) €55,021
    Queenan, Joe (FF) €54,211
    Barry, Patsy (FF) €53,736
    MacManus, Sean (SF) €53,476
    Clarke, Michael (Ind) €53,057
    Devins, Jude (FF) €51,975
    Murray, Gerry FG (RIP) €51,108
    Healy-McGowan (FF) €50,796
    Gormley, Margaret (Ind) €50,792
    Cawley, David, (FG) €50,665
    Bree, Declan, (Ind) €50,367
    McLoughlin, Aoife (FG) C/O €47,119
    Leonard, Joe (FG) €44,581

It's not me going overboard, it's our greedy politicians who are going overboard spending our taxes while implementing schemes like this to lie to the public about unemployment figures and replacing real jobs with internships while calling it training. When you have people falling for this crap and thinking it's brilliant that people are being made to 'get of the couch' etc, it makes my blood boil. There is already a shortage of jobs and they are now allowing jobs to be replaced by free labour, which isn't actually free at all because the taxpayer pays for all of it.

Yes I'm aware of the option to move from this deadzone county (as if it never occurred to me) but the Catch-22 is I can't afford to unless I get a job because the dole barely covers expenses now and I can't save the amount needed to move to a city. I actually moved here from an even smaller town up in Donegal because there was no work there and I got a job here. When it closed I went to college here also. But despite feeling like Sligo is my home now, I would move if I could afford it and had an offer of work, I'd do it in a heartbeat because it's so depressing here now with nothing but internships on offer and no jobs.

And I'm not looking for my dream job, my last jobs were 12 hr nights in a factory, waiter in a hotel, and working in a call centre. My first job was at 16 working the fryer in McD's. They all sucked pretty bad but you get on with it for the paycheck. But calling 238 a week a wage, when you consider living costs in this country is way off the mark IMO. If anyone thinks the dole is a wage it must be a while since they've had to try and live off of it. I know people who are living independently and have had their dole cut to 144 euro because they are under 25. Fas couses don't even pay the full 188 for young people anymore, so young people are being forced to take up internships just for 194 a week so they can survive. It's as close to slavery as you can get. If you don't see that, I think it's you who needs to cop on.
    The Dole + 50 euro is the wage, and its completely indicative of the ridiculous entitlement culture that people can't even see this. Even more ridiculous and ignorant is comparing it to slavery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

AdamD wrote: »
    The Dole + 50 euro is the wage, and its completely indicative of the ridiculous entitlement culture that people can't even see this. Even more ridiculous and ignorant is comparing it to slavery.

All most people on the dole want is a full time paid job, "entitlement culture "
    Very few on the dole feel entitled.

• Advertisement

I'll cop on when youshow me where the wages are and who is paying them. There is no wage.
    Or do you consider the extra fifty euro to be the wage? Because that's laughable. It equates to 1.25 per hour in a forty hour week. That's 14.5 percent of the min. wage. But I suppose you're right, it's not totally unpaid.
    Meanwhile our local politicians are claiming numbers like this:

Fas couses don't even pay the full 188 for young people anymore, so young people are being forced to take up internships just for 194 a week so they can survive. It's as close to slavery as you can get. If you don't see that, I think it's you who needs to cop on.

An Internship is a temporary period of on the job work experience, in white colar jobs, which can be either paid or unpaid.
    On the JobBridge scheme, most work for 30 hours for their dole + €50. In most cases this works out at €7.90 per hour for up to 9 Months. IF used as it ideally should, this would give school leavers or new graduates invaluable experience in the work place.
    It is the small number of menial jobs advertised that are getting up peoples noses. Comparing possible wages of unemployed people with TD's, Senators, Councillors, Doctors, etc is futile as you are not comparing like with like.
    To say it is slave labour is an insult to those who suffered in regimes like that. The grass always seems greener on the other side. Unfortunately, we don't live there. We live in the here and now and must make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

AdamD wrote: »

"entitlement culture" ???

Fucking hell... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

On the JobBridge scheme, most work for 30 hours for their dole + €50. In most cases this works out at €7.90 per hour for up to 9 Months..

Most companies want nearer the 40 than the 30hours..because they are c*nts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    All most people on the dole want is a full time paid job, "entitlement culture "
    Very few on the dole feel entitled.

I'm not surprised that those who speak of an "entitlement culture" never talk about said "entitlement culture" existing in the boardrooms of multi-million/billion euro companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

NZ_2014 wrote: »
    Most companies want nearer the 40 than the 30hours..because they are c*nts.

And this is why there is both a perceived and real entitlement culture among the unemployed.

Disgraceful post.

Valetta wrote: »
    And this is why there is both a perceived and real entitlement culture among the unemployed.

Disgraceful post.

I don't see how that proves there is some entitlement culture. Honestly, if you're working a 40 hour week you should be getting more than €238 euro. And what of all those under 25 who are working a 40 hour week and getting €150 euro, hardly seems right does it. And let's not forget that many businesses will have interns working closer to 50 hours per week.

Employees get certain rights, they get sick leave, certain job protection and so on. Those on jobsbridge aren't do lucky. You have few rights and many people are finding themselves being told to come in when sick. I know someone who spent a week working in a theatre with a horrible cold, he told his employer he was sick and they told him he had to come in or they'd report him to FAS.

Disgraceful post.

If your getting someone to work for your company for no cost, you should cut the intern a bit of slack and have them in for the 30 hours, thats the least you could do to return the favour.

Instead, most of the pr*cks take advantage and have them in for the 40hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Does the employer make some contribution for wages somewhere along the line, or do they literally just get free labour?

DubVelo wrote: »
    Does the employer make some contribution for wages somewhere along the line, or do they literally just get free labour?

They contribute nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

DubVelo wrote: »

They make no contribution. Though it's not classified as "labour". Internships are not jobs apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

If your getting someone to work for your company for no cost, you should cut the intern a bit of slack and have them in for the 30 hours, thats the least you could do to return the favour.

Only a couple of pages back it was mentioned that some retail shop cut the hours of the paid workers and took on interns for 40 hours a weeks. Now thats a piss take.

So they're pr*cks now, as well as c*nts?

I rest my case.

I rest my case.

Good for you, as do I.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Only a couple of pages back it was mentioned that some retail shop cut the hours of the paid workers and took on interns for 40 hours a weeks. Now thats a piss take.

Totally foreseeable consequence of a misconceived policy like this though.
    It's economic sabotage just the same as bailing out failed financial institutions.
    Muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Yeah that's the thing. An intern has to do some work otherwise there's no benefit but if it displacing jobs.

The whole thing needs tighter controls. Plus I really think there should be a gap in between hiring interns (there could be). Say hire an intern for 9 months and you can't hire one again until after 3 months. Would stop the conveyor belt approach.

I rest my case.

You don't really have a case.

Tony EH wrote: »
    You don't really have a case.

I certainly do, but refuse to debate with posters who use obscene language in their posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

If you can't make a profit using free labour, you must be brain dead.

I always be grateful to Enda Kenny for permanently providing free workers for my business, paid for by the taxpayers of Ireland.

I certainly do, but refuse to debate with posters who use obscene language in their posts.

People are quite correct to vent their anger against this farce of a scheme and anybody supporting such vile exploitation needs their head examined.

• Advertisement

Language evolves :)

Advertisement