Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

Tony EH wrote: »
    People are quite correct to vent their anger against this farce of a scheme and anybody supporting such vile exploitation needs their head examined.

They can vent their anger without resorting to expeltives.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

An expletive is a perfectly valid way of expressing ones anger, especially in the written word.

I am under no illusion about how the poster feels about the issue...nor is anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Devane

I can't post a link. It won't let as I have too few posts.
    Check out...
    1,500 jobseekers are being put on compulsory JobBridge at thejournal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I thought the employers contributed that extra 50 euro on top of the dole payment for interns. Jaysus thats even more sickening, could they not contribute at least something to bring the wage up to around 300-320. Shower of basstards!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

NZ_2014 wrote: »
    Language evolves :)
    Not like that it doesn't, using foul language diminishes your argument in the eyes of many people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

On the JobBridge scheme, most work for 30 hours for their dole + €50. In most cases this works out at €7.90 per hour for up to 9 Months. IF used as it ideally should, this would give school leavers or new graduates invaluable experience in the work place.

There are 400,000 people on the dole. They cant find jobs. There isn't a shortage of people to fill jobs so what good is giving people 9 months experience? Are they now going to be a more desirable employee than the one on the dole with 10 years experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

I'm 25 and on the dole 3 weeks now. Jobbridge in general has destroyed my chances of getting an entry level job. I have a scientific background and all the jobs in my area are now internships. The 50 Euro extra a week literally just covers my travel. As it is 10 Euro a day return bus ticket into the city centre from kildare. I'm sure bus eireann will be increasing that price yet again soon.

I have looked at positions I would love e.g. research assistant in breast cancer rsearch in the labs in trinity college. Internship. Bear in mind I am also on the lower pay amount of 144 because apparently between 25 and 26 you suddenly become worthy of more money. To top it off I can't even apply for jobbridge for 78 days so basically I have to sit on the dole with no opportunity for work in my field and wait to be eligible for these internships.

It's a completely messed up system and anyone who says it's "great for young people to get a bitof experience in their field" is extremely naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Not like that it doesn't, using foul language diminishes your argument in the eyes of many people.
    They can vent their anger without resorting to expeltives.
    Valetta wrote: »
    I certainly do, but refuse to debate with posters who use obscene language in their posts.
    So they're pr*cks now, as well as c*nts?

I rest my case.
    And this is why there is both a perceived and real entitlement culture among the unemployed.

Disgraceful post.

Sorry guys for my language. I understand how this language is frowned upon by many people. By many other people however it is par for the course! Let me rephrase what I said:
    Most companies want nearer the 40 than the 30hours..because they are c*nts.

Most companies want nearer the 40 than the 30hours..because they are very greedy.
    Instead, most of the pr*cks take advantage and have them in for the 40hours.

Instead, most of the selfish so-and-sos take advantage and have them in for the 40hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

They should just offer emigration grants.

I'd gladly take it. Thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

They should just offer emigration grants.

I'd gladly take it. Thank you very much.

What and let the free slave labour go ? You must be joking.

• Advertisement

ryan101 wrote: »
    What and let the free slave labour go ? You must be joking.

Could work.

Instead of doing a 9 month jobbridge, give them the €50 topup in one lump sum

36 weeks x €50 = €1800

X 2 jobbridge allowed for 18 months = € 3600

And im being nice with the €50.

Does anyone fancy going to the south of France? Or Spain? Or Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Could work.

36 weeks x €50 = €1800

But where will the private sector get their free labour, paid for by the taxpayers of Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Could work.

36 weeks x €50 = €1800

Three areas where unemployment is pretty much as bad as here?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

DubVelo wrote: »
    Worse in fact

DubVelo wrote: »

Ok never mind.

But since you know how bad those countries are. Do you know what the UK is like. Im moving over myself at the end of the summer.

Ok never mind.

But since you know how bad those countries are. Do you know what the UK is like. Im moving over myself at the end of the summer.

Numbers wise the UK is not too bad at about 6.9%, Germany though unemployment is only 5.3%.
    Had a mate in Berlin when I was living in London, his cost of living was a fraction of what mine was and he seemed generally way more chilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

Most people in the world have no dole, no free healthcare. If they get sick and they don't have money, they die. That is the reality. People in the west have been living in a dream whereby they think they are "entitled" to dole just because they paid PRSI for years but the only thing you are entitled to in this life, is death. Governments have wasted our money and gambled our futures and overseen the biggest transfer of money to the rich in a generation. Combine that with a globalisation driven race to the bottom, economists who haven't a clue, mass immigration of cheap labour and luddite style technological advances rendering many jobs redundant, the future is not looking good. Human beings have always exploited eachother and always will.

I'd advise anyone with any sense to emigrate, the sooner the better (as the poor around the world do). You think that slimeball Enda Kenny gives two fukcs about your future?

'Inda' will be gone soon enough. (Though if we get Zombie-FF back in next time, I'm leaving for good.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

England are treating their unemployed like scum at the moment,forcing them to use food banks and punishing them with counter productive,punitive benefit sanctions for not working for free for in profit corporations,in a system that actually costs more to implement than it would to establish training schemes that would help those on the dole have a better chance at securing ft employment.

Expect whichever spineless party who are in government here (FF/FG/Lab/all the same) to follow suit in the next 4 or 5 years,much to the delight of sneering idiots who have never found themselves out of work for a sustained period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Devane wrote: »
    I can't post a link. It won't let as I have too few posts.
    Check out...
    1,500 jobseekers are being put on compulsory JobBridge at thejournal.ie
    Here is the link:

http://www.thejournal.ie/compulsory-jobbridge-1455019-May2014/
    THE DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL Protection says that 1,500 people are being referred to compulsory JobBridge schemes that may result in a cut in their dole payment if they are not accepted.
    The compulsory element of the Youth Guarantee scheme was announced by the department in February. The number of claimants required to take part was revealed by the department in a letter to the Unite trade union last week.
    In March, Unite wrote to Minister for Social Protection Joan Burton arguing that the sanctions for failing for participate in the scheme are “unjustified and onerous”.
    The department’s response, dated 30 April, was published today by Unite and claims that 1,500 jobseekers who have been referred to the scheme are “most in need of a more intensive activation intervention”.

full text of the response to Unite available here:

http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2014/05/letter-from-dsp-300414-1.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭AlwaysAnyTime

This idea of private companies replacing minimum wage jobs with "internships" needs to be stamped out before forcing people to work for their dole. I'm not opposed to them being forced to help out local councils and government departments even for 20 hours a week. I'm sure no person genuinely job seeking would be against this setup.

"referred to compulsory JobBridge schemes"
    Whose wording is that? "Referred" isn't the same as "Compulsory" Referred would suggest they were pointed in the direction of, compulsory would suggest they were given no choice. To me it reads like the 1,500 concerned weren't engaging with DSP and were being given every chance to do so. JobBridge is and remains a scheme one applies for, unlike TUS and Gateway.
    Having said that, there are some "Internships" on offer that are an insult to the unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

On entitlement culture: If the government is entitled to tax a citizens earnings during periods of employment, than those same citizens are entitled to financial help during periods of unemployment until another job is found. Without that help, many people will end up homeless, some will turn to crime. People without homes or with criminal records will havea much harder time finding employment. So it behooves everyone to have the dole available so people can get into another job as soon as possible, where their earnings are taxed and spent on goods. If the dole was cancelled our economy would be hit big time. Even the lifelong dolies who everyone complains about, they put money into the economy, in fact all of it probably goes back into buying goods and services. It's not like the government would cut taxes if they cut or cancelled the dole. They'd keep that money for themselves or give it to the banks or whatever. They cut the dole a few years back before implementing the property tax and raised taxes on certain products.

Being against work for dole schemes does not mean one feels entitled to anything. I don't feel I'm entitled to the dole if I'm not looking for work. But if there is very little work available, the government should not be replacing those jobs with internships, and then saying that people who won't take the internships up are mascots for 'entitlement culture'. That's what is happening here.

Any of you who are calling the dole or jobbridge payment a wage, I suppose you're in employment, yes? Would you be happy to do your same job at the same hours for 238 euro week? On a nine month temporary contract?

I think you'll find that's where most peoples support for this scheme ends. As long as it's someone else, (like those lazy kids on the dole taking my tax), they're fine with it. They'll support it as long as they don't have to do it. But if your employer decides to replace you with an intern, and other companies in your field are also filling their positions with jobbridge, what will you do then, besides emigrate?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Agree.. So true.... The people who usually sign the praises of these schemes seem to be oblivious to the larger societal screw up these schemes produce.... How they actually cause more and more unemployment, taking jobs, not giving them.. And allowing private companies to PROFIT for the very tax they are so begrudging to pay. These companies, by getting free state paid for workers are profiting from your taxes... It is not rocket science and the implementation of jobsbridge, the employers who use this scheme are profiteering on the misery of others, by not creating REAL jobs that they actually have to pay for.... What idiot is going to pay someone when they can get someone for free........

Very sick system.. So many daily mail type fools out there who are spoon fed that their taxes are being abused by people on the dole..... WRONG... Their taxes are being abused by allowing the government to essentially provide free labour AND pay for it with your taxes! meaning NO jobs will be created, no future for the poor feckers having to do these scams. I feel more sorry for the people who actually think this is a good idea, because their handle on the world and the way this system works is rose tinted, and will become crystal clear in the very near future when their own jobs go.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

dharma200 wrote: »
    Agree.. So true.... The people who usually sign the praises of these schemes seem to be oblivious to the larger societal screw up these schemes produce.... How they actually cause more and more unemployment, taking jobs, not giving them.. And allowing private companies to PROFIT for the very tax they are so begrudging to pay. These companies, by getting free state paid for workers are profiting from your taxes... It is not rocket science and the implementation of jobsbridge, the employers who use this scheme are profiteering on the misery of others, by not creating REAL jobs that they actually have to pay for.... What idiot is going to pay someone when they can get someone for free........

Very sick system.. So many daily mail type fools out there who are spoon fed that their taxes are being abused by people on the dole..... WRONG... Their taxes are being abused by allowing the government to essentially provide free labour AND pay for it with your taxes! meaning NO jobs will be created, no future for the poor feckers having to do these scams. I feel more sorry for the people who actually think this is a good idea, because their handle on the world and the way this system works is rose tinted, and will become crystal clear in the very near future when their own jobs go.....

One of my mates did an internship, he worked really hard but did not get kept on and they got another intern in, by changing the title from 'marketing assistant' to 'advertising assistant'. He is still on the dole, says he's not having success finding work because those jobs are nearly all internships now. I asked him what did he get out of the nine months then, and all he could come up with was 'At least they can't make me do one again, like they're going to start doing now.' I didn't want to add to his misery by mentioning that you can actually do two nine month internships and the government also wants to extend single internships to 18 months according to Joan Burton.

I applied for a job last year, interviewed, didn't get it. The same position was later advertised as an internship. But since I'm on the dole still, I guess I must be feeling 'entitled', right?

It's the employers who are feeling entitled to free labor, that's the real entitlement culture we have now. No one is telling them to leave the country if they can't afford employees, but young people are being told to get out if they can't find work and that they'll be made destitute if they won't be a slave. And some people think that's all above board, but that's only because they aren't the ones stuck for a job.

sligoface wrote: »
    One of my mates did an internship, he worked really hard but did not get kept on and they got another intern in, by changing the title from 'marketing assistant' to 'advertising assistant'. He is still on the dole, says he's not having success finding work because those jobs are nearly all internships now. I asked him what did he get out of the nine months then, and all he could come up with was 'At least they can't make me do one again, like they're going to start doing now.' I didn't want to add to his misery by mentioning that you can actually do two nine month internships and the government also wants to extend single internships to 18 months according to Joan Burton.

18 months? ... Are you joking?

Then extend it to two years.

Its pure slavery.

I applied for a job last year, interviewed, didn't get it. The same position was later advertised as an internship. But since I'm on the dole still, I guess I must be feeling 'entitled', right?.

Did you report this?

"I didn't want to add to his misery by mentioning that you can actually do two nine month internships and the government also wants to extend single internships to 18 months according to Joan Burton." Have you a link to this, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

On entitlement culture: If the government is entitled to tax a citizens earnings during periods of employment, than those same citizens are entitled to financial help during periods of unemployment until another job is found. Without that help, many people will end up homeless, some will turn to crime. People without homes or with criminal records will havea much harder time finding employment. So it behooves everyone to have the dole available so people can get into another job as soon as possible, where their earnings are taxed and spent on goods. If the dole was cancelled our economy would be hit big time. Even the lifelong dolies who everyone complains about, they put money into the economy, in fact all of it probably goes back into buying goods and services. It's not like the government would cut taxes if they cut or cancelled the dole. They'd keep that money for themselves or give it to the banks or whatever. They cut the dole a few years back before implementing the property tax and raised taxes on certain products.

Being against work for dole schemes does not mean one feels entitled to anything. I don't feel I'm entitled to the dole if I'm not looking for work. But if there is very little work available, the government should not be replacing those jobs with internships, and then saying that people who won't take the internships up are mascots for 'entitlement culture'. That's what is happening here.

Any of you who are calling the dole or jobbridge payment a wage, I suppose you're in employment, yes? Would you be happy to do your same job at the same hours for 238 euro week? On a nine month temporary contract?

I think you'll find that's where most peoples support for this scheme ends. As long as it's someone else, (like those lazy kids on the dole taking my tax), they're fine with it. They'll support it as long as they don't have to do it. But if your employer decides to replace you with an intern, and other companies in your field are also filling their positions with jobbridge, what will you do then, besides emigrate?

Absolutely bang on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

takeaway staff on jobbridge.
    Our Plaice in Creggs, Galway.
    50 euro over dole for working in an unskilled position dealing with drunk abusive customers at night and at weekends. No thanks!
    Looking at their facebook page they open from 5pm most days. open late on a Saturday.
    facebook also shows they are opening up a steak house too.
    Ref. INTE-831290 on jobbridge site.

• Advertisement

Phil_Lives wrote: »
    takeaway staff on jobbridge.
    Our Plaice in Creggs, Galway.
    50 euro over dole for working in an unskilled position dealing with drunk abusive customers at night and at weekends. No thanks!
    Looking at their facebook page they open from 5pm most days. open late on a Saturday.
    facebook also shows they are opening up a steak house too.
    Ref. INTE-831290 on jobbridge site.

Sure with the free labour there'll be plenty of room to grow the business, they could staff the whole steak house with interns.

Advertisement