Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

DubVelo wrote: »
    Sure with the free labour there'll be plenty of room to grow the business, they could staff the whole steak house with interns.

There's a nice profit on chipper if the taxpayer is paying the slave wages for you. Fair play to Enda Kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

What makes me laugh is that if these internships were in the public service the taxpayer would at least be getting value for money but you can imagine the public sector unions would go absolutely mental at the perceived threat to their jobs and wages.

What makes me laugh is that if these internships were in the public service the taxpayer would at least be getting value for money but you can imagine the public sector unions would go absolutely mental at the perceived threat to their jobs and wages.

Hmm, the public service is taking interns on all over the place to cover staff shortages, but there a recruitment ban on ever taking anyone on afterwards.

So the people suffering yet again, are the unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Phil_Lives wrote: »
    takeaway staff on jobbridge.
    Our Plaice in Creggs, Galway.
    50 euro over dole for working in an unskilled position dealing with drunk abusive customers at night and at weekends. No thanks!
    Looking at their facebook page they open from 5pm most days. open late on a Saturday.
    facebook also shows they are opening up a steak house too.
    Ref. INTE-831290 on jobbridge site.

I think there will be piss in the deep fat fryers.

Enjoy your pissy fish and chips people.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Try and say 'pissy fish and chips' ten times fast! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I having trouble in work for refusing to use this ( I ops manager) owners and CEO want us to do this. I flat out refuse and will win.

My main reasons for not employing these people are (AH agree disagree as you wish)

Loyalty: My team is loyal to me and any freebie newbies wont be.
    Effort: i expect 100% from all my staff and motivate them to do this, freebies imo are unmotivatable.
    Attitude to work: i expect people to be in work everyday i dont tolerate sickies or lates. Imo going a year without either is expected so hate those attendance awards....its your fcuking job your supposed to be there.
    Reward: I reward staff who work as I expect with money....no point offering anything else its the reason we all work. I cant reward freebies as it breaks TOS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

As long as it only affects new people the unions wont do anything. We'll be seeing teachers on the scheme in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

That is the reality. People in the west have been living in a dream whereby they think they are "entitled" to dole just because they paid PRSI for years
    Funny how the long term wasters who have never paid in seem to be "entitled" to so much...

sligoface wrote: »
    I didn't want to add to his misery by mentioning that you can actually do two nine month internships and the government also wants to extend single internships to 18 months according to Joan Burton.

I applied for a job last year, interviewed, didn't get it. The same position was later advertised as an internship. But since I'm on the dole still, I guess I must be feeling 'entitled', right?

Sligoface, Do you have a crediable link to the above? Or are you confising it with the change that allowes an intern do 18 months in total, but only 9 with the same company?
    As for your last statement, did you report it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

http://www.scambridge.ie/ Sign the e-petition.

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    http://www.scambridge.ie/ Sign the e-petition.

I think people would be better served by not applying for the menial type of jobs offered and only went for the ones that actually would be of some use. Expecting a job at the end of an internship is futile. They are for further training. An internship in accounting or any other white collar trade would be invaluable experience for a newly qualified graduate.
    And please don't quote the guff about being forced onto these positions. What employer wants someone in their business that are more of a hinderence than a help? If someone is told go for an interview for something demeaning, then there are ways of making sure you don't get the position! Use yer loafs! A man I know was sent for a FAS CE scheme interview for something he didn't want. He made sure he wasn't washed or shaved. Went in grubby jeans and when he felt he may not have gone far enough, took out a pen knife and started cleaning under his nails! He didn't get the position!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I think people would be better served by not applying for the menial type of jobs offered and only went for the ones that actually would be of some use. Expecting a job at the end of an internship is futile. They are for further training. An internship in accounting or any other white collar trade would be invaluable experience for a newly qualified graduate.
    And please don't quote the guff about being forced onto these positions. What employer wants someone in their business that are more of a hinderence than a help? If someone is told go for an interview for something demeaning, then there are ways of making sure you don't get the position! Use yer loafs! A man I know was sent for a FAS CE scheme interview for something he didn't want. He made sure he wasn't washed or shaved. Went in grubby jeans and when he felt he may not have gone far enough, took out a pen knife and started cleaning under his nails! He didn't get the position!
    Why should it be up to the victims to deal with this scam?

You think paying someone 250 a week for a job they aren't qualified to do is value for money?

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Why should it be up to the victims to deal with this scam?

So we have the victim mentality now too? Bloody Hell.

And don't ask what's in the secret sauce. It's a secret. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

That statement is all people need to know about a certain type of "jobseeker" in this country.

What an ignorant, uninformed and idiotic attitude

I live in Kildare, am looking for a job in Kildare, Dublin, Carlow, Laois, Wicklow and Kilkenny. Should I move county?

Ps That would mean that my wife loses her job and would have to saw rent on top of a mortgage

PPS: I also have two level 8 qualifications but one is new so I am a graduate. I guess I should just go on an unpaid internship; wait I have been on one and got nothing from it

So if you get punched in the face on the street you'd have a "victim mentality" if you went to the police? Same theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Whay are you advocating against reporting internships that are abusing the scheme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

:)

BUT know a lad who asked for and got €250 from relief officer for "a suit" to go to a jobbridge interview. needless to say that money wasn't spent on a suit.:eek:

PS he didn't get that job either. Make the system work for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Yea, people feeling victimized, when employers abuse an internship program, to use them for cheap labour *shock*

No, that's not a sign of them being victimized or abused in any way, it is entirely a problem with the interns mental state, and it is all in their head... (because there is absolutely no evidence, of employers abusing the program for cheap labour...)

Learn what 'victim mentality' means.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

kuntboy wrote: »
    People in the west have been living in a dream whereby they think they are "entitled" to dole just because they paid PRSI for years

they are entitled, what else is insurance for?
    You pay your premium and get money from claim in time of need

rockbeast wrote: »

BUT know a lad who asked for and got €250 from relief officer for "a suit" to go to a jobbridge interview. needless to say that money wasn't spent on a suit.:eek:

So the answer to a crap system is to exploit that crap system.
    Sheesh.

osarusan wrote: »
    Whay are you advocating against reporting internships that are abusing the scheme?

Read my other posts before commenting.

It's scrounging cheating tramps like this that give everyone a bad name

Read my other posts before commenting.
    No. You tell us why tackling this BS system should take second place to exploiting it to make it worse than useless.

No. You tell us why tackling this BS system should take second place to exploiting it to make it worse than useless.

As I said - read my other posts.

So the answer to a crap system is to exploit that crap system.
    Sheesh.

Pretty much, yes.:)

The issue for me with jobbridge is the "mentors".

Neither I, nor anybody I work with, would "mentor" anyone. I believe this is where jobbridge can be brought down. We've had advice on our contracts and it ain't mentioned! Hence the company can't bring any jobbridge interns in, as much as they'd like to...

Are "mentors" the new Scabs? I think they are, or should be, at least...

ryan101 wrote: »
    It's scrounging cheating tramps like this that give everyone a bad name

If you're looking for a bad name then I refer you to "Jobbridge"

Pretty much, yes.:)

The issue for me with jobbridge is the "mentors".

Neither I, nor anybody I work with, would "mentor" anyone. I believe this is where jobbridge can be brought down. We've had advice on our contracts and it ain't mentioned! Hence the company can't bring any jobbridge interns in, as much as they'd like to...

Are "mentors" the new Scabs? I think they are, or should be, at least...
    You could always rip off the system until they have to scrap it I guess. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You could always rip off the system until they have to scrap it I guess. :-)

Guess again.

Advertisement