Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

gutteruu wrote: »

The worst part is this new bull$hit of "Jobplus" scheme. Where they pay the employer 7.5-10k euro cash to take on someone who is unemployed more than 12 months. This means anyone who loses their job has to be on the dole a minimum 12 months to compete for any job. The government should be hung for screwing up the leftovers of our jobs market. I pity the poor politician that comes canvasing to my door next time.

I spotted a brochure for that on the boss' desk and I'm hoping they'll offer me a permanent position here, but I get the feeling it's for a new receptionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The worst part is this new bull$hit of "Jobplus" scheme. Where they pay the employer 7.5-10k euro cash to take on someone who is unemployed more than 12 months. This means anyone who loses their job has to be on the dole a minimum 12 months to compete for any job. The government should be hung for screwing up the leftovers of our jobs market. I pity the poor politician that comes canvasing to my door next time.

What :eek:
    That's a new scheme? That's insane.
    Employers wont even look at you if you arent on the dole 12 months so (as you say) How can the government make something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Rainbow_Bright

Looking through job sites and come across one company which is seeking 4 interns - is this allowed or are they taking the ****?! I'm aware that a company can hire something like 10% of its workforce in interns but this kind of thing bugs me.

Sorry, rant over!!

Here's the link: http://ie.indeed.com/jobs?q=ratoath+college&l=meath&sort=date

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Looking through job sites and come across one company which is seeking 4 interns - is this allowed or are they taking the ****?! I'm aware that a company can hire something like 10% of its workforce in interns but this kind of thing bugs me.

Sorry, rant over!!

Here's the link: http://ie.indeed.com/jobs?q=ratoath+college&l=meath&sort=date

County Councils can hire as many as they want due to their size, I know mine has over 20 at the moment, which is more than taking the pi*s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Xxxxxxxx Xxxx Care Supervisor (JobBridge Scheme)

Suitable candidates should have a degree in Nursing or Social Care and possess relevant experience.

I'm not sure if we're allowed name the agency involved .

The job description itself is priceless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Why wouldn't you be allowed? You're not giving information that isn't publicly available, and not implying they're doing anything illegal...post away I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

So they're looking for someone who has a degree and experience to do a supervisory role for nothing? Am I reading that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Shop assistant in Cork

An enthusiastic person is required for a gift shop in Merchants Quay Shopping Centre. The intern will gain practical experience in: dealing with customers on a daily basis, money handling, restocking shelves, arranging displays, etc. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: operating the till and cashing up, selling techniques, stock monitoring and doing up lists for restocking, principles of visual merchandising, dealing with difficult customers. On completion the intern will have attained skills in: excellent customer service, selling techniques, general housekeeping.

Candlemania - go f*ck yourselves. Tight as f*ck.

Just got told there that we are getting a new person in on Job Bridge on Monday, I enquired what they would be doing and was told " ah sure we will find some ****ty jobs to give them" and that they are only being hired to fill a quota.

• Advertisement

I can't wait for the day this scheme ends. I really can't.

Anyone know when the scheme is due to end? It can't go on forever. So many businesses are loving the idea of free staff, paid for by taxpayers. Let this madness end.

I can't wait for the day this scheme ends. I really can't.

Anyone know when the scheme is due to end? It can't go on forever. So many businesses are loving the idea of free staff, paid for by taxpayers. Let this madness end.

It was due to end at the start of this year, but so far that does not seem like happening.

http://www.ucd.ie/hr/recruitment/jobbridge/

Offering ones till June 2014 in UCD.

I guess it will be around as long as the government is in power. Honestly, the scheme is a joke and that taxpayers are not up in arms over it is surprising to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

The Niece wrote: »
    Boyfriend finished up his contract in a well known supermarket because 'there was no more work'

The next week, a load of people started on jobbridge

I hate Jobbridge

If this is true, do something about it.

I must be missing something, do you *have* to do a jobsbridge? I thought not.

What do you get for doing menial labour jobsbridge? 50euro
    What does the economy get? More goods and services
    What does the employer get? Better margin
    What does the government get? Pays extra 50euro, receives tax on the additional output in the economy, most likely a net gain.

What do you get for doing a high quality internship? The experience you need to get a high quality job!
    What does the employer get? A probationary period that costs them nothing, and they dont feel guilty about firing slackers.

Jobsbridge FTW!

Potential downside - short term contracts are disappearing as people use interns to cover tempory capacity issues.
    Are entry level positions disappearing? No. If there is genuine need for someone to progress, a series of interns won't be sufficient. What happens is that they hire you as an intern, and then if you're any good, keep you on. i.e. its now a part of the recruitment proces.

Facts easy enough to find: http://www.businessandleadership.com/business/item/40837-three-in-five-jobbridge-par

What does the government get? Pays extra 50euro, receives tax on the additional output in the economy, most likely a net gain.

What do you get for doing a high quality internship? The experience you need to get a high quality job!
    What does the employer get? A probationary period that costs them nothing, and they dont feel guilty about firing slackers.

Jobsbridge FTW!

Potential downside - short term contracts are disappearing as people use interns to cover tempory capacity issues.
    Are entry level positions disappearing? No. If there is genuine need for someone to progress, a series of interns won't be sufficient. What happens is that they hire you as an intern, and then if you're any good, keep you on. i.e. its now a part of the recruitment proces.

Facts easy enough to find: http://www.businessandleadership.com/business/item/40837-three-in-five-jobbridge-par

If you are on social welfare, they can force you to do a Job Bridge or cut your payment. You should read through this thread at bit more before thinking that people are getting high quality internships, we have seen ones for barmen, deli assistants and housekeepers.

In the council I am doing my Job Bridge in, they have over 20 people doing various Job Bridges and all have been tolod they will not be kept on in the end and that we are just plugging the gaps due to councils being understaffed due to the moratorium on hiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Jobsbridge FTW!

this is funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

This scheme is just rigging unemployment statistics and not caring that it is destroying real jobs.

Now schools getting in on the scam...

http://happyrobotslifefine.blogspot.com/2013/07/jobsbridge-stealing-real-jobs.html

This scheme is just rigging unemployment statistics and not caring that it is destroying real jobs.

http://happyrobotslifefine.blogspot.com/2013/07/jobsbridge-stealing-real-jobs.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

I got laid off and Xenji is now being forced to do my job for free. And you think this is good for.....everyone ?

Fair enough Joan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Xenji wrote: »
    Just got told there that we are getting a new person in on Job Bridge on Monday, I enquired what they would be doing and was told " ah sure we will find some ****ty jobs to give them" and that they are only being hired to fill a quota.

Report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I heard Boards.ie are going to advertise for Jobbridge Mod shortly , they just gotta sack a few Mods first.

If you are on social welfare, they can force you to do a Job Bridge or cut your payment

Link please. Jobsbridge website and Citizen Info website describe it as optional.

I got laid off and Xenji is now being forced to do my job for free.

If this is true it is against the law; DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

You should read through this thread at bit more before thinking that people are getting high quality internships, we have seen ones for barmen, deli assistants

You should read my post :p

That menial jobs exist does not preclude quality jobs. Two of my close friends have done Jobs Bridge internships with quality employers and got good jobs on the back of them

Link please. Jobsbridge website and Citizen Info website describe it as optional.

I have no link for it, just the experience of being told it myself and friends have been told the same thing by our social welfare office.

I would certainly recommend you take the time to learn what you are talking about; and when someone threatens you with a penalty, that you learn as much as you can about what the rules are.

The Social Welfare Act, 2010 provided for “penalty rates of payment” which is a reduction in jobseeker's benefit, jobseeker's allowance and supplementary welfare allowance where a person has, without good cause refused to participate or to agree to participate in a course of training which is considered appropriate; or failed to avail of any reasonable offer of training provided or approved by FÁS.

What this means in practice is that you have to attend a lot of interviews that previously people fobbed off. For example, a highly qualified FS professional couldn't be arsed going to a FÁS interview. One peer of mine in 2012 went to chat with FAS and was asked if he considered emigrating, and what was it he expected FÁS to do for him?

Do you have to take a jobs bridge internship as a shelf packer in Tesco; No. An unemployed person just has to demonstrate that they are looking for work and appropriate internships, and have reasonable grounds to refuse training / internships offered.

• Advertisement

I would certainly recommend you take the time to learn what you are talking about; and when someone threatens you with a penalty, that you learn as much as you can about what the rules are.

The Social Welfare Act, 2010 provided for “penalty rates of payment” which is a reduction in jobseeker's benefit, jobseeker's allowance and supplementary welfare allowance where a person has, without good cause refused to participate or to agree to participate in a course of training which is considered appropriate; or failed to avail of any reasonable offer of training provided or approved by FÁS.

What this means in practice is that you have to attend a lot of interviews that previously people fobbed off. For example, a highly qualified FS professional couldn't be arsed going to a FÁS interview. One peer of mine in 2012 went to chat with FAS and was asked if he considered emigrating, and what was it he expected FÁS to do for him?

Do you have to take a jobs bridge internship as a shelf packer in Tesco; No. An unemployed person just has to demonstrate that they are looking for work and appropriate internships, and have reasonable grounds to refuse training / internships offered.

Honestly no point in arguing with you, since you came into this thread you have made no constructive points and are just quoting stuff from websites without really knowing what is actually going on in the real world, if you are ever unlucky enough to end up in the situation that some of the people here are in, you will see what they say and what they do are two completely different things when it comes to the social welfare.

Advertisement