Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    You could always rip off the system until they have to scrap it I guess. :-)

Well, if history has taught us anything, it is that emancipation will come for those who's rights are being abused.

"Free the job bridge 5,000!" :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Guess again.
    Nah, thanks anyway. I like my first guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

A couple of months ago I was self-employed and I was looking for a full-time, stable job when a friend of mine gave my CV to a company he was working in who were offering a jobbridge internship. They called me up and told me they had a hundred CVs in and they were all rubbish and interviewed a few people with no relevant experience, but they really liked the look of my CV and so they gave me an interview.

They really liked me and said I was ideal and promised a full time job at the end of the internship. But when I mentioned I was self-employed they told me I wasn't eligible. I had no idea as I hadn't looked into jobbridge before. I asked -since they said I was the only candidate suitable in their eyes- is there any way I could take the job, but they just refused me.

Since then, I've had to quit the business and go on the dole to make ends meet, but if this jobbridge scheme never existed I would have full time work and not have to collect the dole. Now, since I can't find an entry level job, I'm actually looking at taking one of these internships as a way in the door to a proper job that may or may not exist at the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Morpork wrote: »
    A couple of months ago I was self-employed and I was looking for a full-time, stable job when a friend of mine gave my CV to a company he was working in who were offering a jobbridge internship. They called me up and told me they had a hundred CVs in and they were all rubbish and interviewed a few people with no relevant experience, but they really liked the look of my CV and so they gave me an interview.

They really liked me and said I was ideal and promised a full time job at the end of the internship. But when I mentioned I was self-employed they told me I wasn't eligible. I had no idea as I hadn't looked into jobbridge before. I asked -since they said I was the only candidate suitable in their eyes- is there any way I could take the job, but they just refused me.

Since then, I've had to quit the business and go on the dole to make ends meet, but if this jobbridge scheme never existed I would have full time work and not have to collect the dole. Now, since I can't find an entry level job, I'm actually looking at taking one of these internships as a way in the door to a proper job that may or may not exist at the end of it.

Welcome to the new Ireland, where the ultimate aim is to drive the average wage down to 250 euros a week

How did you manage that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

it won't exist

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Self-employment is not allowed here, red flag that, ye must be on the fiddle somehow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Sounds like the whole job promise was just sheet talk then TBH and they were just playing the Job bridge game.

Moral of the story, don't ever go self employed in Ireland unless you are certain of absolute success.
    What a great set of policies this country has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Moral of the story, leave this kip (and europe) if you can.

• Advertisement

ryan101 wrote: »
    Moral of the story, don't ever go self employed in Ireland unless you are certain of absolute success.
    What a great set of policies this country has.

I'm just surprised he was able to go from self-employed to signing-on...

But, yeah, it's a disgrace how people are viewed when they make a go at creating a business and aren't successful. :mad:

Fail again. Fail better.

rockbeast wrote: »
    I'm just surprised he was able to go from self-employed to signing-on...

But, yeah, it's a disgrace how people are viewed when they make a go at creating a business and aren't successful. :mad:

Fail again. Fail better.

You can cease self-employment and apply for Jobseekers Allowance which is means-tested. Basically you have to be screwed before you get any assistance.

DubVelo wrote: »
    You can cease self-employment and apply for Jobseekers Allowance which is means-tested. Basically you have to be screwed before you get any assistance.

??

You sure? I know a few people who couldn't claim a cent when their businesses shut up shop. No stamps or something. And one fella's wife wasn't working either.

Anyway, back to job bridge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Those who have any capital or a second house or a wife working can forget it. You are supposed to beg money off your wife who may not even have enough dough for herself.......

Try selling the 2nd house in todays market without incurring a big loss......

Certain small allowances are made for kids and house rentals etc but nothing allowed for adult dependents who can claim in their own right but are reduced in rate if living at home.

Most self employed people need to work and stay working no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

I had no issues claiming. They just asked for proof that I quit, ie the letter from the revenue, as well as bank statements. I wasn't even aware it was suppose to be an issue!

According to this page you can be self-employed and claim job seekers allowance.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/self_employed_and_unemployment.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

rockbeast wrote: »
    ??

You sure? I know a few people who couldn't claim a cent when their businesses shut up shop. No stamps or something. And one fella's wife wasn't working either.

Anyway, back to job bridge...

Jobseekers Allowance is means tested, stamps relate to Jobseekers Benefit, which is calculated on "stamps" (or tax paid). IIRC you are automatically tested for allowance if you apply for but don't qualify for benefit, and it you don't get it then (according to the government at least) you have enough means to get by on your own. Quite often this is because of assets in the bank like large savings, or a partner who works and is earning over a certain amount...

Anyway I am seriously considering leaving my current job for the good of my mental and physical health, and going back to full time education. When I graduate I'll have an IT degree. I love computers so no regrets about it but from what I've read, IT graduates have the highest levels of unemployment in the country, relative to any other degree.

Oh there are lots of IT jobs, but they all need experience. So it'll be JobsBridge for me in a few years (unless I get lucky). It's getting to be a right of passage now. :mad:

I had no issues claiming. They just asked for proof that I quit, ie the letter from the revenue, as well as bank statements. I wasn't even aware it was suppose to be an issue!

According to this page you can be self-employed and claim job seekers allowance.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/self_employed_and_unemployment.html

??

Sounds strange you'd get a claim on that but happy you did:)

Hope you make a go of working for yourself again. good luck.

PS never work for free.

Elessar wrote: »
    Jobseekers Allowance is means tested, stamps relate to Jobseekers Benefit, which is calculated on "stamps" (or tax paid). IIRC you are automatically tested for allowance if you apply for but don't qualify for benefit, and it you don't get it then (according to the government at least) you have enough means to get by on your own. Quite often this is because of assets in the bank like large savings, or a partner who works and is earning over a certain amount...

Anyway I am seriously considering leaving my current job for the good of my mental and physical health, and going back to full time education. When I graduate I'll have an IT degree. I love computers so no regrets about it but from what I've read, IT graduates have the highest levels of unemployment in the country, relative to any other degree.

Oh there are lots of IT jobs, but they all need experience. So it'll be JobsBridge for me in a few years (unless I get lucky). It's getting to be a right of passage now. :mad:

Wish you well, life's too short not to go for it:) I think you'll need a letter from the company saying you were let go rather than left in order to do that, but if you get on with boss that will be fine.

How does one apply to get a couple of these interns, anyone know?

(Muahahaha...!)

Mr.S wrote: »

The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: Stocktaking, shelf stacking and store and shop management.

Informal shelf stacking training - I want some of that!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Sligoface, Do you have a crediable link to the above? Or are you confising it with the change that allowes an intern do 18 months in total, but only 9 with the same company?
    As for your last statement, did you report it?

Not sure,could be a mixup, it was an interview with Joan Burton I remember hearing, only link I found with a quick search was a small piece from midlands 103 and says its only speculation. I hope it's not true, it would really increase displacement of real jobs even more and threaten current workers jobs big time.

Though it turns out you can do up to 3 internships for a total of 18 months according to jobbridge site. I wonder what an employer would make of an applicant who had 3 internships on a CV.

All I know is, if the scheme was scrapped, there would be more jobs available to the unemployed. The amount of real jobs that are internships now would go back to being real jobs and people would be eager to take them up. This benefit would most likely outweigh the handful of people who get kept on by the host company. Keep in mind the whole 3 in 5 get a job spin by the gov is a number which includes people who get work with any company in any field within 5 months of completing the scheme, it is not 3 in 5 get kept on by their host co or with a co in the field they interned in. And does not include the significant amount who quit the scheme not because they get paid work elsewhere but because they are unhappy with it.

A few posters asked did I report the paid position I applied for now being advertised as an internship. I would have if I thought there was any point. I reported stuff to them before about my previous internship, nothing was done about it. They know it's being abused but it's here to stay and their job is to expand the scheme not exclude companies from it. Whether intern or employee, it's a person off the register for them and that's all that matters.

An update on the course I spoke about earlier where 42 people were place on 3 month internships. Of the 42, not one was offered a job though given that most were placed in the school offering the course that's not unexpected. Of the 16 or so who got placements only one got close to a job, he's been asked to come back for an interview and if successful do 3 further months unpaid before they consider a contract. This is in one of Irelands largest providers of products to supermarkets and there were 6 interns there with the business asking 5 of them to extend their internship by a further month or two. In the time they were interning 3 members of staff had hours cut back substantially with extra free labour brought in to cover the hours.

It seems that most places have just stopped trying to dress up their positions as anything other than they are, this one is a real step up on any career path.

doolox wrote: »
    Those who have any capital or a second house or a wife working can forget it. You are supposed to beg money off your wife who may not even have enough dough for herself.......

And your supposed to take up a job bridge position at 50 euros per week.
    238 euros was bad enough, but 50 euros per week for now 18 months with no job at the end ? Your lunches and petrol would cost more than that alone.

Effectively, as long as scam bridge lasts, anyone who is currently unemployed, but their partner is working, will never be employed again, unless their wife quits and they both go on the dole. This is the biggest scandal of scam bridge, and is being totally ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

sligoface wrote: »
    Not sure,could be a mixup, it was an interview with Joan Burton I remember hearing, only link I found with a quick search was a small piece from midlands 103 and says its only speculation. I hope it's not true, it would really increase displacement of real jobs even more and threaten current workers jobs big time.

You can only do one internship for a company, I found out when mine was up and the manager of called up and tried to A) have my job-bridge extended for 4 or 5 months more then B) asked if I could be tagged on to do another 9 months.

All with out asking me, obviously. Why would they need to chat to me about it, sure once it was up they could just go "Oh, your gonna be working here for another 9 months for nothing, cya Monday!!" :rolleyes:

SITUATION VACANT

Asian Masseuse Technician Internship

Duties include learning the intricate art of oiling, rubbing, sliding, twerking, asian cooking, cleaning of premises, ironing and bedmaking.

Full training and mentorship will be provided. Colour A4 printed certificate provided for successful completion of the internship.

PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    You can only do one internship for a company, I found out when mine was up and the manager of called up and tried to A) have my job-bridge extended for 4 or 5 months more then B) asked if I could be tagged on to do another 9 months.

All with out asking me, obviously. Why would they need to chat to me about it, sure once it was up they could just go "Oh, your gonna be working here for another 9 months for nothing, cya Monday!!" :rolleyes:

So they obviously have a position there that should be a real job. If you weren't qualified or they weren't making money off your labor they wouldn't have made such a request. Did you get a job from it in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

doolox wrote: »
    or a second house or a wife working can forget it. You are supposed to beg money off your wife who may not even have enough dough for herself.......

Try selling the 2nd house in todays market without incurring a big loss......

Certain small allowances are made for kids and house rentals etc but nothing allowed for adult dependents who can claim in their own right but are reduced in rate if living at home.

Most self employed people need to work and stay working no matter what.

I found out recently that this goes for people who live with (rent the same apartment as) their boyfriends/girlfriends too... don't even have to be married!

The one with the job has to pay for rent, bill, and food... for two

sligoface wrote: »

Though it turns out you can do up to 3 internships for a total of 18 months according to jobbridge site. I wonder what an employer would make of an applicant who had 3 internships on a CV.

All I know is, if the scheme was scrapped, there would be more jobs available to the unemployed. The amount of real jobs that are internships now would go back to being real jobs and people would be eager to take them up. This benefit would most likely outweigh the handful of people who get kept on by the host company. Keep in mind the whole 3 in 5 get a job spin by the gov is a number which includes people who get work with any company in any field within 5 months of completing the scheme, it is not 3 in 5 get kept on by their host co or with a co in the field they interned in. And does not include the significant amount who quit the scheme not because they get paid work elsewhere but because they are unhappy with it.

A few posters asked did I report the paid position I applied for now being advertised as an internship. I would have if I thought there was any point. I reported stuff to them before about my previous internship, nothing was done about it. They know it's being abused but it's here to stay and their job is to expand the scheme not exclude companies from it. Whether intern or employee, it's a person off the register for them and that's all that matters.

Thanks for that, Sligoface. Like you, I have little faith in JobBridge and agree it's taking the chance of real jobs from the unemployed. My issue with your post was I thought you were claiming speculation as fact. Thanks for clarifying it for me.

ryan101 wrote: »
    SITUATION VACANT

Asian Masseuse Technician Internship

Duties include learning the intricate art of oiling, rubbing, sliding, twerking, asian cooking, cleaning of premises, ironing and bedmaking.

Full training and mentorship will be provided. Colour A4 printed certificate provided for successful completion of the internship.

PM me.

Me me me me. If you leave out the twerking and ironing!

• Advertisement

Me me me me. If you leave out the twerking and ironing!

DONE. I'll get another intern in for the other duties.
    Two pairs of hands are always better than one I say ;), all paid for by the Irish taxpayer.

Seriously though, what's stopping anyone from doing it, or getting anyone in as an au pair, cleaner etc. and effectively paying nothing for it. Judging by some of the ads any red tape looks very easy to circumvent.

Advertisement