Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

ryan101 wrote: »
    DONE. I'll get another intern in for the other duties.

So you don't mind the wig, false teeth, chicken fillets, etc? Kinky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

So you don't mind the wig, false teeth, chicken fillets, etc? Kinky!

You haven't seen what you're oiling yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Am I the only one for whom this springs to mind with some of the comments from posters in this thread?

Like job bridge - Not working ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Any company which has turned a profit for three consecutive quarters should be excluded from the scheme. That way, companies who can afford to hire staff will have to do so while struggling companies will get a dig out and the intern gets experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Any company which has turned a profit for three consecutive quarters should be excluded from the scheme. That way, companies who can afford to hire staff will have to do so while struggling companies will get a dig out and the intern gets experience.

there should be no internships full stop

why should taxpayers give a dig out to struggling companies...if they cant afford to hire/loss making they should close and let new better companies take over if that area viable...government should look after people not companies

the type of companies that use interns will just cook the books anyway

there should be no internships full stop

why should taxpayers give a dig out to struggling companies...if they cant afford to hire/loss making they should close and let new better companies take over if that area viable...government should look after people not companies
    Right, and where does the government get the money to "look after people"?
    Giving struggling companies a dig out will keep their existing staff and owners off the dole

Giving struggling companies a dig out will keep their existing staff and owners off the dole

emm from tax...not by paying wages of people:rolleyes::rolleyes:...if the company cant pay its staff...it should take them on imo

emm from tax...not by paying wages of people:rolleyes::rolleyes:...if the company cant pay its staff...it should take them on imo
    Ok and where does tax come from?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If I wanted an internship I would prefer it from a company that has proven it's worth in my desired area.

Ok and where does tax come from?

taxpayers and vat receipts
    and almost everywhere else you can nearly think of

not from paying to prop up failing/struggling businesses with free staff

its nonsense thinking like this lead to forming of NAMA...an effort to prop up a failing housing market and by extension leading to bank bailouts

let new businesses take over...why continue mistakes of the past

CramCycle wrote: »
    If I wanted an internship I would prefer it from a company that has proven it's worth in my desired area.

Yep fair point but if a company has proven its worth and is in the black, it should pay its staff.

taxpayers and vat receipts
    and almost everywhere else you can nearly think of

not from paying to prop up failing/struggling businesses with free staff

its nonsense thinking like this lead to forming of NAMA...an effort to prop up a failing housing market and by extension leading to bank bailouts

let new businesses take over...why continue mistakes of the past
    I agree with you but in an effort to keep people in employment and the vat receipts and prsi rolling in, government has to step in sometimes.

I agree with you but in an effort to keep people in employment and the vat receipts and prsi rolling in, government has to step in sometimes.

its delaying the inevitable though...keeping businesses afloat if they are unviable...and people complain of lack of entrepreneurs in Ireland...what would be the point of opening a business into a market where rival companies have access to free staff

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

its delaying the inevitable though...keeping businesses afloat if they are unviable...and people complain of lack of entrepreneurs in Ireland...what would be the point of opening a business into a market where rival companies have access to free staff
    That's only unviable at current wage levels though. If the minimum wage was lowered to 194 euro for a standard week for under 25s it would have the same effect.

The fact is the lower the wage levels the more people companies are willing to take on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Absolutely ridiculous. You're saying that unemployed people should work in a struggling business for free to prevent the people who own the businesses or are currently working there from becoming unemployed. Then at the end of nine months what happens?

The struggling business tells the intern 'Sorry but we can't afford to take you on so you're going back on to the dole. But hey, thanks a million for keeping us from having to go on it as well by working here for free. If not for your valiant unpaid efforts, we'd all be living a life just as crap as yours.'

One of the dumbest posts I've read in this thread, seriously.

sligoface wrote: »
    Absolutely ridiculous. You're saying that unemployed people should work in a struggling business for free to prevent the people who own the businesses or are currently working there from becoming unemployed. Then at the end of nine months what happens?

The struggling business tells the intern 'Sorry but we can't afford to take you on so you're going back on to the dole. But hey, thanks a million for keeping us from having to go on it as well by working here for free. If not for your valiant unpaid efforts, we'd all be living a life just as crap as yours.'

One of the dumbest posts I've read in this thread, seriously.
    Youve got me all wrong bro
    The scheme as it stands is flawed, my suggestion wouldnt make it perfect, just rationalise it a bit and cut down on company's scope to abuse it.

Youve got me all wrong bro
    The scheme as it stands is flawed, my suggestion wouldnt make it perfect, just rationalise it a bit and cut down on company's scope to abuse it.

How? I would consider taking on an intern that is hoping to 'bridge' themself into a job at your firm, when the boss knows in reality is there is no chance of that whatsoever, to be a blatant abuse of the scheme. Your suggestion would encourage such abuse!

Jobbridge is not going to save jobs at struggling businesses. It will just encourage struggling businesses to replace or cut paid staff with free workers. And part of the reason businesses are struggling is because so many are unemployed. Unemployed people and unpaid interns are not going to have much income to spend in local businesses. Free labor is not going to solve any of the problems we are having.

How? I would consider taking on an intern that is hoping to 'bridge' themself into a job at your firm, when the boss knows in reality is there is no chance of that whatsoever, to be a blatant abuse of the scheme. Your suggestion would encourage such abuse!

Jobbridge is not going to save jobs at struggling businesses. It will just encourage struggling businesses to replace or cut paid staff with free workers. And part of the reason businesses are struggling is because so many are unemployed. Unemployed people and unpaid interns are not going to have much income to spend in local businesses. Free labor is not going to solve any of the problems we are having.
    I like when we bounce ideas around like this

• Advertisement

I like when we bounce ideas around like this

I'm not bouncing around ideas. I'm saying flat out that Jobbridge is a sick joke being played on the unemployed and the Irish public in general. It's pure exploitation and is being abused by profitable companies for financial gain and by our government to spread misinformation about the true levels of unemployment.

I understand that some people, even those who know that the live register reductions being reported are nothing but spin and half truths, will support the scheme because they are delighted to see people being made to work for the dole. They think all the unemployed are scroungers with a sense of entitlement. And they all have that neighbor they give out about, who doesn't work but drives a nicer car or goes on more holidays than they do, etc. Schemes like this allows the government to pander to these people, the middle class taxpayers who are unhappy with their lot and blame the dole for every cent that gets taken out of their pay. I get that, even if I disagree with it.

But to hear someone say that unemployed people should be willing to work for free to heroically keep struggling businesses afloat is an entirely new level of absurdity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'm not bouncing around ideas. I'm saying flat out that Jobbridge is a sick joke being played on the unemployed and the Irish public in general. It's pure exploitation and is being abused by profitable companies for financial gain and by our government to spread misinformation about the true levels of unemployment.

I understand that some people, even those who know that the live register reductions being reported are nothing but spin and half truths, will support the scheme because they are delighted to see people being made to work for the dole. They think all the unemployed are scroungers with a sense of entitlement. And they all have that neighbor they give out about, who doesn't work but drives a nicer car or goes on more holidays than they do, etc. Schemes like this allows the government to pander to these people, the middle class taxpayers who are unhappy with their lot and blame the dole for every cent that gets taken out of their pay. I get that, even if I disagree with it.

But to hear someone say that unemployed people should be willing to work for free to heroically keep struggling businesses afloat is an entirely new level of absurdity.

Why should a company hire somebody with little to no experience when there's thousands of people to pick from? If done right and regulated an internship scheme could help greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

cloudatlas wrote: »
    http://www.scambridge.ie/ Sign the e-petition.
    I think people would be better served by not applying for the menial type of jobs offered and only went for the ones that actually would be of some use. Expecting a job at the end of an internship is futile. They are for further training. An internship in accounting or any other white collar trade would be invaluable experience for a newly qualified graduate.
    And please don't quote the guff about being forced onto these positions. What employer wants someone in their business that are more of a hinderence than a help? If someone is told go for an interview for something demeaning, then there are ways of making sure you don't get the position! Use yer loafs! A man I know was sent for a FAS CE scheme interview for something he didn't want. He made sure he wasn't washed or shaved. Went in grubby jeans and when he felt he may not have gone far enough, took out a pen knife and started cleaning under his nails! He didn't get the position!

Cloudatlas said nothing, just posted a link.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Cloudatlas said nothing, just posted a link.

That was aimed at all posters, not just Cloudatlas! Scambridge would be taken more seriously if they dropped the idea of increasing minimum wage. Then again, they know it's never going to happen, but they think it maks them look good. It doesn't. Crackpot ideas never wash with the electorate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Why should a company hire somebody with little to no experience when there's thousands of people to pick from? If done right and regulated an internship scheme could help greatly.
    Why should a company hire anybody at all when they can keep getting free labour from Jobridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Just my 2 cents worth, but the company I work for made 8 people permanent who were orignally hired on Jobbridge.

This is since the scheme started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Just my 2 cents worth, but the company I work for made 8 people permanent who were orignally hired on Jobbridge.

This is since the scheme started.

Great to hear that it actually can happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Phil_Lives wrote: »
    takeaway staff on jobbridge.
    Our Plaice in Creggs, Galway.
    50 euro over dole for working in an unskilled position dealing with drunk abusive customers at night and at weekends. No thanks!
    Looking at their facebook page they open from 5pm most days. open late on a Saturday.
    facebook also shows they are opening up a steak house too.
    Ref. INTE-831290 on jobbridge site.

Must be available evenings and weekends!

I thought jobbridge was meant to be 9-5, Mon-Fri, work but its between yourself and your boss if its slightly changed. But that chipper internship is not slightly changed.

That chipper internship is completely taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Must be available evenings and weekends!

I thought jobbridge was meant to be 9-5, Mon-Fri, work but its between yourself and your boss if its slightly changed. But that chipper internship is not slightly changed.

That chipper internship is completely taking the piss.

I went to two interviews where you were expected to work Saturdays. One of them for a theatre and you were told everyone takes turns doing Saturday nights. I am not giving up my weekends for nothing. Let the full time staff who get paid give up their weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

When my brother done Jobbridge, the company he worked for were intense in his description. People taking 15minutes at most for lunch coming in early, leaving late. He started doing it as well and then his boss and a few others in his department told him, he wasn't getting paid, he should take a full 30 minutes to an hour and leave an hour or two early on a Friday, no coming in early or leaving late. He got experience in a wide range of areas that were not even in the Jobbridge description. He also got full employment before he was finished (from a different company), the guys he worked with, on the day he announced he got another job, took a proper lunch with him and told him to take the rest of the time off until he started the new job. He learned skills in HR and quality management that he was unlikely to have learned if they just used him as the dogsbody he expected. The skills he learned where not all that got him the job but they helped. Just saying, just because there are some taking advantage, don't sully them all. If a job is out of line or context or it offends you, report it.

Advertisement