Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Chris___ wrote: »

That happens with quite a few hotels during the winter months, some will not even open for the weekends unless a wedding is on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

smurke wrote: »
    Those that type on computers with one figure.
    I'd prefer them to type a bit more slowly if it meant they typed the right word myself. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭AlwaysAnyTime

The best way to protest this abomination of a scheme, is at the polls on Friday. Genuine question - Which party and specifically which politicians came up with this scheme, and which of them currently actively support it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭AlwaysAnyTime

What is SF's views on the scheme?

Actually, a quick google revealed links to Paul Donnelly, Mary Lou Mcdonald, and Sean Crowe criticizing the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ah SF, who go against every government policy and provide no reasonable solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

Chris___ wrote: »

I was going to apply for this wonderful opportunity learn how to stack shelfs

learn how to become an efficient cashier (those tills always looked like rocket science to me ) and what with the beep beep beep they do be doing frankly they scare me .

Learn how to smile be polite and dress myself and tell the time

But im worried that 9 months simply wont be long enough .

but then i remember the defence forces put an automatic assult rifle in my hand at 17 after 16 weeks training so i felt better.

But then my hopes were dashed as i saw you need to have achieved the leaving cert to undertake such training as this internship , GUTTED

AdamD wrote: »
    Ah SF, who go against every government policy and provide no reasonable solutions.
    Do they have to provide an alternative for you to agree Jobridge is rubbish? Or do you think Jobridge is great because SF don't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

The best way to protest this abomination of a scheme, is at the polls on Friday. Genuine question - Which party and specifically which politicians came up with this scheme, and which of them currently actively support it?

Labour. Joan Burton. Make 'em suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Say one thing in opposition, do the opposite in power. Same with property tax.

Mandatory work activity scheme

If you’re over 18 and your Jobcentre plus advisor thinks you need more work-related skills, they can put you on a mandatory work activity scheme. You’ll have to take part in work-related activity for up to 30 hours a week over four weeks to improve your chances of getting a job. If you refuse to take part you can lose your benefit.

If you’re over 18 and your Jobcentre plus advisor thinks you need more work-related skills, they can put you on a mandatory work activity scheme. You’ll have to take part in work-related activity for up to 30 hours a week over four weeks to improve your chances of getting a job. If you refuse to take part you can lose your benefit.
    But that isn't Jobridge, which is mostly skill free drudge work. I hope dole officers can spot BS slavery schemes at his stage.

Jagdtiger wrote: »
    The one part jumps out at me is to be a "fast learner"...
    what will they be doing for the other 5 and a half months while there?

That's a fancy title for a Shop Assistant. There are 20 Shop Assistant placements availabe on Jobbridge in the whole country. But most of them are weeks old, as is that one. People on the dole are ignoring them.

Let the employers put them up, a shopkeeper no doubt would considers himself as worthy as a lawyer or an architect. And let the people on the dole continue to ignore them. Otherwise who is going to decide what categories of employment or what particular jobs can be included?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

As far as I know jobbridge is only mandatory for 25's and younger. ie: the youth guarantee scheme.

As far as I know jobbridge is only mandatory for 25's and younger. ie: the youth guarantee scheme.
    Does that mean they get 50 on top of their already unexplained cut rate dole? So nobody is on 250, more like 150 or 200 EUR.

Jobbridge is not mandatory for anyone. There is a maximum of 8,500 placements at any one time, so how could that accommodate a mandatory involvement for everyone under 25 on the dole? Plenty of people over 25 have done the scheme as well.

http://www.jobbridge.ie/toolkit/JobBridgeData.pdf

Jobbridge is not mandatory for anyone. There is a maximum of 8,500 placements at any one time, so how could that accommodate a mandatory involvement for everyone under 25 on the dole? Plenty of people over 25 have done the scheme as well.

http://www.jobbridge.ie/toolkit/JobBridgeData.pdf

When a person of 25 or under signs on, they have to sign a document that says they will comply to seeking jobbridge work. They are told that by refusing a jobbridge placement they will be cut off the dole. Like I said, this is what I heard as to jobbridge being mandatory for 25's and under.

SOCIAL PROTECTION MINISTER Joan Burton has said that if young unemployed people fail to apply or accept some additional opportunities on the JobBridge national internship scheme they could face a cut in their dole payment.

Source: http://www.thejournal.ie/joan-burton-job-bridge-young-unemployed-1286867-Jan2014/

• Advertisement

When a person of 25 or under signs on, they have to sign a document that says they will comply to seeking jobbridge work. They are told that by refusing a jobbridge placement they will be cut off the dole. Like I said, this is what I heard as to jobbridge being mandatory for 25's and under.

Can you show where it actually says that? To the best of my knowledge, the words used are if they refuse to engage with Dept of Social Protection, their payment will be reduced. As others have stated, JobBridge is NOT mandatory, TUS and Gateway are.

You have replaced the word "could" with the word "will", giving a different meaning to what is actually said.

Can you show where it actually says that? To the best of my knowledge, the words used are if they refuse to engage with Dept of Social Protection, their payment will be reduced. As others have stated, JobBridge is NOT mandatory, TUS and Gateway are.

You have replaced the word "could" with the word "will", giving a different meaning to what is actually said.

I already made it abundantly clear that this is "what I heard". But if 25's and under fail to take on a jobbridge placement when offered they will be cut or cut off. So basically it is mandatory.

I already made it abundantly clear that this is "what I heard". But if 25's and under fail to take on a jobbridge placement when offered they will be cut or cut off. So basically it is mandatory.

So, if they apply for an internship and it isn't what they want they WILL be cut or they COULD be cut? Heresay isn't fact.
    BTW, I'm not a fan of JobBridge as it is run. Internships in their true meaning are invaluable to new graduates. Meanial jobs do not need 9 months training. If these were limited to something like 9 weeks, then it would be better all round.
    "Will" and "Could" are Worlds apart in meaning.

So, if they apply for an internship and it isn't what they want they WILL be cut or they COULD be cut? Heresay isn't fact.
    BTW, I'm not a fan of JobBridge as it is run. Internships in their true meaning are invaluable to new graduates. Meanial jobs do not need 9 months training. If these were limited to something like 9 weeks, then it would be better all round.
    "Will" and "Could" are Worlds apart in meaning.

Look just do some googling and you will see that what I have said is correct. I'm not going to argue with you over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Labour. Joan Burton. Make 'em suffer.

In actual fact, it was a combination of FG and Labour and copied, somewhat, from a German scheme, I believe.

Saying that, as a lefty, I am appalled that Labour have supported (or even started) this abomination, never mind their support for the other nonsense we've endured under this government.

There is now, literally, no major party that I can vote for in this country.

Look just do some googling and you will see that what I have said is correct. I'm not going to argue with you over this.

And I am not going to let false claims be made, just because someone doesn't like the subject! I suggest you google or look up in the Oxford English Dictionary the words
    "Will" http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/will and
    "Could" http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/could

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Tony EH wrote: »
    In actual fact, it was a combination of FG and Labour and copied, somewhat, from a German scheme, I believe.

Saying that, as a lefty, I am appalled that Labour have supported (or even started) this abomination, never mind their support for the other nonsense we've endured under this government.

There is now, literally, no major party that I can vote for in this country.

My grandfather would be turning in his grave the way Labour have turned out.They have turned their backs on every principle they once stood for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There will be many, many people's grandfathers spinning in their graves over modern day Labour.

You could run the national grid from the energy produced.

And I am not going to let false claims be made, just because someone doesn't like the subject! I suggest you google or look up in the Oxford English Dictionary the words
    "Will" http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/will and
    "Could" http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/could

What part do you not understand ? It is as clear as day that if 25's and under fail to comply to do jobbridge they WILL be cut or cut off, how hard can it be for you to understand this ?.

• Advertisement

What part do you not understand ? It is as clear as day that if 25's and under fail to comply to do jobbridge they WILL be cut or cut off, how hard can it be for you to understand this ?.

This is the link you quoted "Under-25s who fail to accept some JobBridge internships could face dole cut"

It clearly states "could" not "will"

Advertisement