Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I'm working with a jobsbridge girl at the minute. She's only a young one, so with the extra payment she gets 150 euro per week. She's supposed to get bank holidays off, but our manager gave out to her for not being available on Monday as we were busy. Our manager marked her in 7 days last week, girl asked what two days she was off, manager was quite annoyed, mentioned her booking a busy day off already (a day she's not supposed to work anyway) and gave her one day off so she was in for six off for one.

When our manager took over from the older manager, she had jobsbridge girl do 60 odd hours without days off in between because we were understaffed. She's never in early to open the place so that's left to the girl too, having to open the spa and set it up.

I feel so bad for her, she's working like a Chinese kid in a sweatshop for 150 a week, won't have a job at the end of it, is responsible for doing bits of the managers job like opening up and stock taking and booking in packages, has to work **** days, and has nothing to show for it.

I'd rather fester away unemployed than leave myself be taken advantage of like that.

Tell her to report him and quit, she should not be working more than 40 hours a week by the rules of the contract he signed and she is entitled to having all public holidays off, if people do not start doing this it will be abused worse than it already is.

kdave2 wrote: »
    1.Working for 40+ hours a week for 232
    2.The subordinate mentality between you and your fellow employees
    3.Working 40 hours a week but still having to queue in the dole line and having to live on government handouts
    4.Building a distored view of job creation by CSO statistics owing to a percent of jobs due to jobbridge schemes
    5.Allowing companies to benefit of free labour
    6 Displacing full paid jobs for this scheme
    7 Creating a culture where working for free is acceptable

Non exhaustive list

fcuking hell thats terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Based in SANDYFORD - DUBLIN 18 Description
    The intern will gain practical experience in auction house operations. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: recording and checking of stock deliveries, ensuring stock is appropriately assembled, disassembled, located and displayed on the auction house floor. Lotting and uploading of stock to the company website; following up on customer queries; updating the customer database; responding to phone & mail requests/bids/etc. Processing buyer & seller transactions, data entry and ad hoc duties. On completion the intern will have attained skills in driving sales growth and providing a positive customer experience through excellent execution of the business operations procedure.

Mate got a text about this today to call fas and apply for it ... The person who sent the text should clearly know this is a paid position and removed it from the site. The person who received the text is an I.T professional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

If he complains or doesn't get in touch with FAS about the interviews would his benefits be affected?

Brother in law was on a TUS scheme last year and was being taken advantage of so he complained and stopped working extra hours he wasn't supposed to.His money was stopped for weeks by the DSP til he managed to get himself a new placement.

Disgraceful the bullying tactics that are used.

If he complains or doesn't get in touch with FAS about the interviews would his benefits be affected?

Brother in law was on a TUS scheme last year and was being taken advantage of so he complained and stopped working extra hours he wasn't supposed to.His money was stopped for weeks by the DSP til he managed to get himself a new placement.

Disgraceful the bullying tactics that are used.

No idea was just a text you would think they would call him ? I mean what can an I.T professional that worked with servers get out of putting furniture and alike out on display.

And as far as I know they cant cut all your money off immediately that's the last resort, They have to warn you doc you so on he was complying working on the TUS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'm working with a jobsbridge girl at the minute. She's only a young one, so with the extra payment she gets 150 euro per week. She's supposed to get bank holidays off, but our manager gave out to her for not being available on Monday as we were busy. Our manager marked her in 7 days last week, girl asked what two days she was off, manager was quite annoyed, mentioned her booking a busy day off already (a day she's not supposed to work anyway) and gave her one day off so she was in for six off for one.

When our manager took over from the older manager, she had jobsbridge girl do 60 odd hours without days off in between because we were understaffed. She's never in early to open the place so that's left to the girl too, having to open the spa and set it up.

I feel so bad for her, she's working like a Chinese kid in a sweatshop for 150 a week, won't have a job at the end of it, is responsible for doing bits of the managers job like opening up and stock taking and booking in packages, has to work **** days, and has nothing to show for it.

I'd rather fester away unemployed than leave myself be taken advantage of like that.

I think that is mad, if she said she needed time off she is entitled to it. I think its 15 days leave you are allowed on a jobbridge as far as I can remember might have changed since.

That is just crazy, no person should do that, its not right to do more than a person is required a little extra few hours here and there is ok but 60 hours added is crazy a full time job wouldn't require as much as that unless on call. If they are understaffed they need to have another intern if they can't afford to have a paid employee. Talk about taking advantage of people.

Complaining about is the best way to go forward about this she has rights as an employee even as an intern. Its no way to treat people like that especially for a bank holiday fair enough was a busy day but can't see why they couldn't get someone else to cover but if she doing more work than necessary as part of jobbridge then she is taken advantage of for no reason. If I were her either leave or stick it out get the experience and complain after.

Xenji wrote: »
    It is mandatory that the internship has to be either 6 or 9 months in length if you are doing a JobBridge.

Majority of them are 6-9 months but a few can be 3 months depends on the internship.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

doovdela wrote: »
    Majority of them are 6-9 months but a few can be 3 months depends on the internship.

Taken from the Jobbridge FAQs http://www.jobbridge.ie/toolkit/faqintern.pdf
    The duration of
    individual internship positions will be a 6 month or a 9 month placement.

No sure they do special cases, but I have no came across any yet if they do, they should all be 3 months maximum anyway.

They might not be necessary advertised on Jobbridge but on other job sites or company websites looking for 3 months intern.

doovdela wrote: »
    They might not be necessary advertised on Jobbridge but on other job sites or company websites looking for 3 months intern.

Sneaky folks looking to cover maternity leave...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sneaky folks looking to cover maternity leave...
    Maternity leave is 6 months plus an additional 4 months unpaid if you wish. The 9 month job bridge is ideal to be trained up, cover the leave, and then hand back :pac: If they take the 4 months unpaid, you can then pay the intern for 4 months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Would you not have a private word with her about how she's being taken advantage of rather than just watching from the sidelines. As said above she only has to work 40 hours a week and telling her to come in on a bank holiday is ludicrous. That is a public holiday, I don't care what situation I'm in if I was earning 150 pw and my manager had the cheek to demand I come in on a bank holiday after working a 6 day week I'd tell him to go **** himself as politely and articulately as possible.

We can whinge all we like about JB but if we're just gonna sit on our arses and watch stuff like this happen right in front of us then we fully deserve it. It's the typical Irish way, act natural and then complain afterwards.

looking at the site

6899 currently on an Internship , There are currently 2352 internships available seems to be more and more people on internships this year.

http://www.jobbridge.ie/ContactUs.aspx

No figures for jobplus and jobbank and all the other ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

looking at the site

6899 currently on an Internship , There are currently 2352 internships available seems to be more and more people on internships this year.

Can't think why...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Would you not have a private word with her about how she's being taken advantage of rather than just watching from the sidelines. As said above she only has to work 40 hours a week and telling her to come in on a bank holiday is ludicrous. That is a public holiday, I don't care what situation I'm in if I was earning 150 pw and my manager had the cheek to demand I come in on a bank holiday after working a 6 day week I'd tell him to go **** himself as politely and articulately as possible.

We can whinge all we like about JB but if we're just gonna sit on our arses and watch stuff like this happen right in front of us then we fully deserve it. It's the typical Irish way, act natural and then complain afterwards.

Yes I tell her I think she's mad for not standing up for herself and for coming in earlier to open up when there's someone being paid to do it. The intern is not to be left alone but it didn't stop the manager asking her if she could work some Sundays on her own to "give me a break". They're being tight with hours when she has to pay the staff (me) and the spa can only have one intern apparently.

I've spoken to the girl but short of that, it's not my business to get involved in anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What a spa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

looking at the site

No figures for jobplus and jobbank and all the other ones.

When most jobs advertised are internships, is it really that surprising?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

For any-one that needs all relevant information regarding jobbridge, it is in the PDF below...

• Advertisement

Just wondering....

What about insurance for the interns? Nowhere have I seen it mentioned. Who provides cover for the interns? Is it Welfare or is is down to the slave owners sorry - Host Organisations? If it's down to the employers, then do Welfare check that the appropriate insurance is in place and valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Just wondering....

What about insurance for the interns? Nowhere have I seen it mentioned. Who provides cover for the interns? Is it Welfare or is is down to the slave owners sorry - Host Organisations? If it's down to the employers, then do Welfare check that the appropriate insurance is in place and valid?

It is mentioned on the Jobbridge site. Did you search there?

http://www.jobbridge.ie/employereligible.aspx

•The host organisation's public/employers liability insurance and motor insurance, if applicable, will cover any interns on this scheme.

•The host organisation must be fully compliant with current workplace health and safety and all other legal requirements.

•The host organisation has responsibility to ensure that the appropriate process is applied to placements that require Garda vetting. Interns must agree to comply with requests for Garda Vetting where necessary in accordance with the host organisation's policy on Garda Vetting.

Thanks for that. I've looked on the site and didn't see that. But the second part of my question isn't answered. Do Welfare check that the insurance is appropriate and valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Thanks for that. I've looked on the site and didn't see that. But the second part of my question isn't answered. Do Welfare check that the insurance is appropriate and valid?

I can't answer that. You would need to ask someone from Welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Claire101

wheres the scandal?
    1.you get out of the house
    2.get to meet new people
    3.see what its like to earn your money instead of staying in bed till 12 every day[/quote

Spoken like a true business person exploiting people like me a single parent who was shouted at, roared at not shown a thing. Refused a written reference no help for child care. For €10 euro a day. I actually dreaded going in so much I got sick! Interns are people too. Not just free labour! That is the scandal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Claire101 wrote: »
    1.you get out of the house
    2.get to meet new people
    3.see what its like to earn your money instead of staying in bed till 12 every day[/quote

Spoken like a true business person exploiting people like me a single parent who was shouted at, roared at not shown a thing. Refused a written reference no help for child care. For €10 euro a day. I actually dreaded going in so much I got sick! Interns are people too. Not just free labour! That is the scandal!

I read your other thread, shocking. Why didn't you just leave? Jobsbridge internships are entirely voluntary and you can leave at any time. The only downside being you will (obviously) lose your extra €50 a week.

Elessar wrote: »
    I read your other thread, shocking. Why didn't you just leave? Jobsbridge internships are entirely voluntary and you can leave at any time. The only downside being you will (obviously) lose your extra €50 a week.

Hi at the time I didn't know I could just leave I thought my one parent family payment would be stopped. I was assured I would be given a glowing reference when I started so I stuck it out until the end hoping I would be given that at least for my hard work. I was unsure about everything and was afraid I would be penalised if I sent a message through the job-bridge site. To be perfectly honest about it I bit my toungue I had been told by the host organisation that I would have enough to walk into any job. Then to finish off the humilation of the experience on my last day I watched them having a collection and a farewell party for one of their payed employees who were just transfered to another job. I sat there like a dummy. I was then mentioned briefly but my feeling was and is if your job-bridge staff you dont matter, you dont have feelings and your there to fo what your told and thats that! It has totally crushed me as I was full of hope and so optomistic I believed I could make my kids proud of me. I was humilated!

I also wanted to be more than just a single mam on benefits. My hopes and dreams for the future depended on me doing this, but its like this I did a course prior to this to become qualified to take up this position, then I went through the job-bridge process but my hopes and dreams and hard work for the future for me and my family were crushed. Thanks so much for listening to me.

Claire101 wrote: »
    Hi at the time I didn't know I could just leave I thought my one parent family payment would be stopped. I was assured I would be given a glowing reference when I started so I stuck it out until the end hoping I would be given that at least for my hard work. I was unsure about everything and was afraid I would be penalised if I sent a message through the job-bridge site. To be perfectly honest about it I bit my toungue I had been told by the host organisation that I would have enough to walk into any job. Then to finish off the humilation of the experience on my last day I watched them having a collection and a farewell party for one of their payed employees who were just transfered to another job. I sat there like a dummy. I was then mentioned briefly but my feeling was and is if your job-bridge staff you dont matter, you dont have feelings and your there to fo what your told and thats that! It has totally crushed me as I was full of hope and so optomistic I believed I could make my kids proud of me. I was humilated!

See that's another problem with this kind of scheme, Your not seen as an equal or even sometimes a person. You are seen as what the management see's and that's free labour, A lot of people will think that you could not get a job so some how lower down the ladder. When what your actually doing is what the complainers want you to do and work for your welfare. Sorry to hear about this experience, But unfortunately I'm sure this will start becoming the norm as your a jobbridge or a Tus, And technically not part of the team/staff.

See that's another problem with this kind of scheme, Your not seen as an equal or even sometimes a person. You are seen as what the management see's and that's free labour, A lot of people will think that you could not get a job so some how lower down the ladder. When what your actually doing is what the complainers want you to do and work for your welfare. Sorry to hear about this experience, But unfortunately I'm sure this will start becoming the norm as your a jobbridge or a Tus, And technically not part of the team/staff.

This is so true. You are not seen as equal. Your seen and treated as a skivy. When the boss was pleased with my work he would give me a sweet for being good! Lol its degrading, demoralising and in my opinion cruel. Thanks for your kind words.

• Advertisement

Why haven't you reported this freeloader?

Advertisement