Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Xenji wrote: »
    Honestly no point in arguing with you, since you came into this thread you have made no constructive points and are just quoting stuff from websites without really knowing what is actually going on in the real world, if you are ever unlucky enough to end up in the situation that some of the people here are in, you will see what they say and what they do are two completely different things when it comes to the social welfare.

I was unemployed for 4 years and was never forced to do a Jobbridge or FAS course. Your experience may not reflect everybody else's.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I was unemployed for 4 years and was never forced to do a Jobbridge or FAS course. Your experience may not reflect everybody else's.

Nate

Everyone is different, but a few other people have posted the same experience in here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Everyone is different, but a few other people have posted the same experience in here as well.

Your treatment, and what is expected of you, including whether you are pushed into jobbridge will depend on your level of experience I suspect

My treatment was the same as Nate's. Having been a FS professional for many years, I found myself unemployed for over 2 years. I ended up emigrating a year ago (best decision I ever made, incidentally) but in the time I was unemployed, I was never under pressure to attend any courses or take any jobs. I had to have face to face meetings, but at every one I was asked "what can we do for you" and told that I knew the markets in which I had experience way better than they did

As long as I provided evidence of looking for work, I wasn't expected to do anything else

Your treatment, and what is expected of you, including whether you are pushed into jobbridge will depend on your level of experience I suspect

My treatment was the same as Nate's. Having been a FS professional for many years, I found myself unemployed for over 2 years. I ended up emigrating a year ago (best decision I ever made, incidentally) but in the time I was unemployed, I was never under pressure to attend any courses or take any jobs. I had to have face to face meetings, but at every one I was asked "what can we do for you" and told that I knew the markets in which I had experience way better than they did

As long as I provided evidence of looking for work, I wasn't expected to do anything else

You could be right, the Job Bridge I am doing does involve what I have a degree in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Honestly no point in arguing with you, since you ... are just quoting [facts]

Fixed your post.

Here is my constructive advice, for the third time, if you think you see an instance of someone breaking the law, report them.

If you think a particular internship is not going to help you, do not do it, and hold out for one that will.

if you are ever unlucky enough to end up in the situation that some of the people here are in, you will see what [the law is] and what they do are two completely different things when it comes to the social welfare.

I know a lot about social welfare, and not just from researching facts - which is a positive thing btw :rolleyes:

I am actually gob smacked that you would simply accept the dept of SW breaking the law; but what I think is more likely is that they are not and you are talking through your arse.

Be informed, take control.

• Advertisement

Do you know much about teaching?
    My understanding is that there is fierce competition for places, and someone with 9months experience would have a distinct advantage.

This is the scenario:
    No jobsbridge - Govt: No money to pay a new teacher; Graduate: unemployed

Jobsbridge - Govt: No money to pay a new teacher; Graduate: Gains teaching experience and better placed to get what scant teaching jobs come up.

I understand the exploitation argument, people feel that if there is a need for the labour, the labour should be paid the going rate. What people espousing this just do not get is that faced with the choice of paying the going-rate, the jobs will simply go unfilled as there is no money to pay them.

Current economic situation SUCKS.
    Working 9months for little immediate economic compensation sucks, and is unfair when compared to how others had it in the past.

However; since paying the full going rate simply is not an option, because there is NO money, working and gaining experience > than not working, for the individual and society.

When faced with two sh1tty choices, it is the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I understand the exploitation argument, people feel that if there is a need for the labour, the labour should be paid the going rate. What people espousing this just do not get is that faced with the choice of paying the going-rate, the jobs will simply go unfilled as there is no money to pay them.
    Employers love to use this excuse but more often than not it's bullsh!t. I've had an employer try to cut my pay because apparently they couldn't afford it anymore. Really? Then why are you still driving your BMW and are off on holidays to Spain for two weeks? I cycle and haven't had a holiday in four years so sure, feel free to cut my pay but you'll have to find someone else for the job. My pay wasn't cut and surprisingly the business didn't go under.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭curehead

"the government have no money to pay a new teacher" is this a joke ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's my understanding that teachers have to do teaching practice for a number of months during their studies so it's not like they've no experience in a classroom.

IMO the school is just looking to fill a position without paying a wage.

The question I'd be asking would be why has this position arose?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

What seems to be the case with jobs bridge in schools is that for example there may be 35 children in a joined 1st and 2nd class. The school then looks for the 'intern' so that they can separate 1st and 2nd into 2classes.

Not sure if I explained that too well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's my understanding that teachers have to do teaching practice for a number of months during their studies so it's not like they've no experience in a classroom.

Schools have a budget. If this school is anything like my local one where last year the principal, also a teacher, took 4 holidays during term time l. I asked someone on the parents council at their fundraising day where the money came from to pay the substitute teacher brought it in to cover came from.

If schools are looking to get teachers on jobbridge, how they spend their current money should be made available to the people public

curehead wrote: »
    "the government have no money to pay a new teacher" is this a joke ?
    No, trying doing some research into the state of the government coffers

CatFromHue wrote: »

I have education and experience. Do you know what makes me more attractive to employers? When I get more education and experience...

Woah, you mean the world isnt made up of pure altruists?! I am- shocked!
    The question is, if the jobsbridge scheme did not exist, would this school be offering a paid position. No.
    So is jobs bridge preventing an aspiring teacher from getting a paid job? No.

Thats a good question, an excellent one. And as I keep saying, if anyone thinks that the law is being broken, dont sit at your computers whining, do something!

Boombastic wrote: »
    Schools have a budget. If this school is anything like my local one where last year the principal, also a teacher, took 4 holidays during term time l. I asked someone on the parents council at their fundraising day where the money came from to pay the substitute teacher brought it in to cover came from.

If schools are looking to get teachers on jobbridge, how they spend their current money should be made available to the people public
    You have just described the positive effect of jobs bridge without realising it

Without jobs bridge
    Shool: No discretionary holidays for teachers and/or pupils suffer from under resourcing
    Graduate: Unemployed

With jobs bridge
    Teachers: Holidays
    Pupils: Higher teacher:student ratio
    Graduate: Marginal more income, valuable teaching experience
    School Admin: If budget available for new hire, benefit of prolonged & informal probationary period -able to recruit best staff.

If the alternative involved a full time paid position, I would be up in arms about jobsbridge too, but it doesnt.
    Government income and expense figures are publicly available for those of you living under a rock who wish to wise up.

You have just described the positive effect of jobs bridge without realising it

Without jobs bridge
    Shool: No discretionary holidays for teachers and/or pupils suffer from under resourcing
    Graduate: Unemployed

With jobs bridge
    Teachers: Holidays
    Pupils: Higher teacher:student ratio
    Graduate: Marginal more income, valuable teaching experience
    School Admin: If budget available for new hire, benefit of prolonged & informal probationary period -able to recruit best staff.

If the alternative involved a full time paid position, I would be up in arms about jobsbridge too, but it doesnt.
    Government income and expense figures are publicly available for those of you living under a rock who wish to wise up.
    You totally missed my point and your argument is nonsense. We should allow jobbridge to allow teachers take discretionary holidays? Thanks anyway for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

This all seems very simple to me.

Has an intern replaced a permanent fully paid staff member, or has an intern been recruited instead of a fully paid permanent staff member?

If the answers to these questions is no, then jobbridge is a completely good thing.

If the answer to either is yes, then the company should be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mothnot

This happens where I work all the time.
    They cut our hours and a new 'intern ' starts. Company pays them nothing and they end up sweeping floors and general cleaning..

Please dissect the argument, highlighting the points that are "nonsense".
    My spidy sense is telling me though that you have not picked up on the word discretionary.

The holiday point was brought up by you. From the limited information you provided it would appear the teacher in question is taking leave beyond their contract entitlement.

Here's another big word for you. Ready? The holiday point was ancillary to my main arguments. You've missed the crux of the
    sentence? :pac:

You totally missed my point and your argument is nonsense. We should allow jobbridge to allow teachers take discretionary holidays? Thanks anyway for the laugh.

Please feel free to try dissect the arguments and find which parts are nonsense.

My spidey sense is telling me you have not really understood the word discretionary. Based on the limited information you have provided, it would seem the teaching staff are taking leave beyond their contractual entitlements.

Here's another big word for you; ready? The point I made on holidays was only to make my post specific to the scenario you gave, but was ancillary to my main points.

The crux of the matter, is whether or not jobs bridge is displacing "paid" [sic] jobs. With respect to the public sector, I doubt it.

(did using a four letter c word make that easier or harder for you?)

• Advertisement

This all seems very simple to me.

Has an intern replaced a permanent fully paid staff member, or has an intern been recruited instead of a fully paid permanent staff member?

If the answers to these questions is no, then jobbridge is a completely good thing.

If the answer to either is yes, then the company should be reported.
    Exactly.

Less whining, more reporting if what people are saying here is actually happening.

mothnot wrote: »
    This happens where I work all the time.
    They cut our hours and a new 'intern ' starts. Company pays them nothing and they end up sweeping floors and general cleaning..
    Unless you are a cleaner, it sounds like the intern is doing a different job than you.

Please feel free to try dissect the arguments and find which parts are nonsense.

My spidey sense is telling me you have not really understood the word discretionary. Based on the limited information you have provided, it would seem the teaching staff are taking leave beyond their contractual entitlements.

Here's another big word for you; ready? The point I made on holidays was only to make my post specific to the scenario you gave, but was ancillary to my main points.

The crux of the matter, is whether or not jobs bridge is displacing "paid" [sic] jobs. With respect to the public sector, I doubt it.

(did using a four letter c word make that easier or harder for you?)
    Doubt it all you like. If no teacher was hired on jobbridge what would happen? Would the children be left to their own devices for the year? No

Exactly.

Less whining, more reporting if what people are saying here is actually happening.

Have a look at this site then, lots more people saying the same stuff, so yeah it actually happening :rolleyes:

http://www.scambridge.ie/

Doubt it all you like. If no teacher was hired on jobbridge what would happen? Would the children be left to their own devices for the year? No
    Doing more with less. Its a fantastic concept.
    Same people who cannot understand that there is no money in the gov. coffers cannot understand this one either.

Have a look at this site then, lots more people saying the same stuff, so yeah it actually happening :rolleyes:

One last time for the slow people down the back.

REPORT IT.

Doing more with less. Its a fantastic concept.
    Same people who cannot understand that there is no money in the gov. coffers cannot understand this one either.
    Can I subscribe to your newsletter?

Please help me understand the "scam" in todays scam of the day:

http://www.scambridge.ie/scam-a-day-a-career-in-musicsaw-doctor/

As already explained, and referenced, there is no obligation on anyone to do "BS" internships

Can I subscribe to your newsletter?
    Believe it or not, but you do already ;-)

• Advertisement

One last time for the slow people down the back.

REPORT IT.

People have reported it and very little has been done about it, only 23 organisations have been banned from using the scheme again, with just over 18000 people on this scheme, it is impossible for them to check every complaint, so people are using websites to name and shame. They do not even do any vetting on these internships before they are put up by the looks of it either.

http://www.thejournal.ie/joan-burton-jobbridge-companies-banned-986074-Jul2013/

Advertisement