Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Kai123 wrote: »
    I am about to start an internship, doing what I always wanted to do (system, network admin). If all goes well, even with 6 months experience I become highly employable.

I'm worried about being asked to work extra hours (although, for the sake of learning I would), being the intern being looked down on etc. At the interview they told me how I would be there to learn first, and slowly introduced to the many aspects of looking after 600+ clients.

I dont agree with Jobbridge, but I would of never, ever had this opportunity otherwise. To get to this point, I would of needed more certs, and a few years of help-desk experience. I'm skipping this and doing what I've spent years studying for.

A large tech company like that should be fine. It's the small local businesses who seem to take the piss, they don't want to pay anyone but themselves and may have cash flow issues due to the recession so they are using interns as free employees and couldn't be bothered about providing training. And as you said, the role you are taking on gives you valuable experience which may lead to employment either there or elsewhere. It's a long time to be working for free but once you get your skills up to date you can apply anywhere you want for paid work.

Large companies which can launch someone into a career are usually good internships, those type of companies provided internships before jobbridge even existed. As regards hours, you have a contract in place which they must abide by. My advice would be when you go in, talk to your mentor and try to hammer out a clearly defined schedule with start and end times, days, and break times as soon as you get the opportunity. The scheme is meant to be min 30-40 hours max, ask how many hours and what days early on to avoid any confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

sligoface wrote: »
    A large tech company like that should be fine. It's the small local businesses who seem to take the piss, they don't want to pay anyone but themselves and may have cash flow issues due to the recession so they are using interns as free employees and couldn't be bothered about providing training. And as you said, the role you are taking on gives you valuable experience which may lead to employment either there or elsewhere. It's a long time to be working for free but once you get your skills up to date you can apply anywhere you want for paid work.

Large companies which can launch someone into a career are usually good internships, those type of companies provided internships before jobbridge even existed. As regards hours, you have a contract in place which they must abide by. My advice would be when you go in, talk to your mentor and try to hammer out a clearly defined schedule with start and end times, days, and break times as soon as you get the opportunity. The scheme is meant to be min 30-40 hours max, ask how many hours and what days early on to avoid any confusion.

It was advertised as 35 hours but said 40 on the contract. I think there are two shifts, (both early, so not a problem).

One thing I want to ask for is if they will pay for my transport fare (30 euro a week). Its a small thing to ask for but would be a massive improvement for me, and would let me buy books and certs etc. I was going to ask at the interview but didn't want to come across as a bit picky.

I almost had an internship which was advertised as IT Helpdesk but was literally a receptionist position, after inquiring more about it. I've been unemployed for a year, and before that had a retail job, so going from that to hopefully a system admin position, its going to be a massive jump for my career.

I cant believe that under the same system which might benefit me is ruining chances for everyone else. Anything less apart from this internship would of been an extremely bitter pill to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It was advertised as 35 hours but said 40 on the contract. I think there are two shifts, (both early, so not a problem).

One thing I want to ask for is if they will pay for my transport fare (30 euro a week). Its a small thing to ask for but would be a massive improvement for me, and would let me buy books and certs etc. I was going to ask at the interview but didn't want to come across as a bit picky.

I almost had an internship which was advertised as IT Helpdesk but was literally a receptionist position, after inquiring more about it. I've been unemployed for a year, and before that had a retail job, so going from that to hopefully a system admin position, its going to be a massive jump for my career.

I cant believe that under the same system which might benefit me is ruining chances for everyone else. Anything less apart from this internship would of been an extremely bitter pill to swallow.

They might be nice and do that under the table, but technically it is against the rules of the scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Labor goon on Moncreef saying 2 out of 3 JB internships get a job and an' independent' company 'Indicon' has said its working successfully and it should continue.

He said he has to deal in facts not just what people moan about.

The person 'moaning' was a lady who called in saying its impossible to get a cleaning or waitress job now due to JB.

The politicos are despicable turds, you could tell in his voice he know what was happening but defends it to the hilt.

They say 2 out of three but it takes awhile for that too happen according to the report they mentioned. I can claim everyone who does an internship dies but it doesn't make the death connected to the internship.

They say 2 out of three but it takes awhile for that too happen according to the report they mentioned. I can claim everyone who does an internship dies but it doesn't make the death connected to the internship.

How many of those jobs are full time?

• Advertisement

How many of those jobs are full time?

Exactly. Most of the reason places take on jobbridge is they can not or will not pay for a full timer, so part time or nothing is what you usually get. One guy I know on the scheme was kept on part time after his internship ended. But they got another intern in full time to make up for the hours he is off. I told him that I was pretty sure that was not allowed and he should report them as he should have been offered full time before they can take on another intern. But, like most people who are finding work hard to come by, he doesn't want to rock the boat and lose his part time job, even though he makes less now working part time then he did with the extra 50 on jobbridge because he's doing four days that aren't a full 8 hrs. But he knows if he goes back to the dole, he'll be getting letters for 'progression plan' interviews to attend, try to put him on mickey mouse courses, etc. And he doesn't want that after working hard for 9 months.
    Which is understandable. But he is now training the new intern, it's ridiculous.

I know another person who was doing the scheme just to have some work but detested it so much he left for a job working in a shop, which was a totally different type of work to what the internship was and was min wage. But I guarantee you, he would be counted, statistically, as a jobbridge success. They always carefully word the success rate as people who 'progressed to employment'. Which means if they get employment anywhere during the time or a few months after on the scheme the government claims they got that job due to the scheme.

The people most likely to put themselves forward for the scheme are people who have ambition to work and will be applying for jobs anyway. The businesses most likely to use jobbridge are penny pinching due to either lack of cash flow or pure greed, and are trying to avoid paying for full time position. So I think most interns who get work end up in other companies, and in large part due to their own efforts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭almostbroke

I think all these jobbridge, ces schemes and internships should be abolished. I know of several businesses, all doing well, who get their staff for practically nothing because of these useless schemes.....the only ones on a winner here are the employers. If these schemes didnt exist, the vacant positions would still exist, and if the employers took someone on they would have to pay them an actual wage. I would like to see a mass demonstration by unemployed people against these practices.....get rid of them and you will see REAL JOBS being taken up by unemployed people, offering a proper wage, with employers being made to take their responsibilities as employers seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

I think all these jobbridge, ces schemes and internships should be abolished. I know of several businesses, all doing well, who get their staff for practically nothing because of these useless schemes.....the only ones on a winner here are the employers. If these schemes didnt exist, the vacant positions would still exist, and if the employers took someone on they would have to pay them an actual wage. I would like to see a mass demonstration by unemployed people against these practices.....get rid of them and you will see REAL JOBS being taken up by unemployed people, offering a proper wage, with employers being made to take their responsibilities as employers seriously.

Its also to do with unemployment numbers as well. If Jobbridge was abolished tomorrow it would push that unemployment number up! Considering services making less money = more taxes, your going to be fighting up hill in regards to common sense, logical governance.

Saying that, I am in a tiny minority of which jobbridge is giving me an opportunity I would of never had before. I am doing System Admin work, with a team of 5 highly experienced people who are all friendly and teaching me the ropes.

I have wanted to work in IT for years, and before this had 5 IT certs, some hardware repair experience and no employer wanted to know. With this, I am going to be extremely unlucky to get something after it finishes.

I think it works with IT roles, and other roles that are hard to get into. 70% of it should be abolished though. From deli work, cleaners etc, which is employee exploitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

CE scheme 'job'

Duties: cleaning office and classroom spaces, hoovering and tidying, care and maintenance of laundry rooms, kitchen and bathrooms, maintenance of corridors etc, using buffer and other cleaning duties as required. Applicants must supply suitable character references and be prepared to complete a Garda vetting application form. Location: Enable Ireland Centre, Kilkenny City. This is a development opportunity and participation in work-related accredited training will be a requirement.

What a fcucking joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

CE scheme 'job'

Duties: cleaning office and classroom spaces, hoovering and tidying, care and maintenance of laundry rooms, kitchen and bathrooms, maintenance of corridors etc, using buffer and other cleaning duties as required. Applicants must supply suitable character references and be prepared to complete a Garda vetting application form. Location: Enable Ireland Centre, Kilkenny City. This is a development opportunity and participation in work-related accredited training will be a requirement.

What a fcucking joke!

What's the problem here ? It's a Community employment scheme position that people have the option of signing up to and it helps Enable Ireland and not some private company. Lots of people would do that job to be active,meeting people and to be some way helping a deserving cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Its also to do with unemployment numbers as well. If Jobbridge was abolished tomorrow it would push that unemployment number up! Considering services making less money = more taxes, your going to be fighting up hill in regards to common sense, logical governanc

push unemployment numbers up, yest it would, BUT please remember that the wages? of the succesful applicaants come from where, you gueesed it, plus add the misserable 50 lids extra all come from the unemployment budget, this is then putting a skew on the figures, giving more ammo for the anti welfare peeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Came across this on Facebook today

Facebook source
    And here is just another reason why JobBridge harms your employment potential...
    Sent in by a member...
    "My Fiance has been working a Jobbridge for the past five months or so. She has a Masters in another field which was deemed worthless owing to the lack of opportunities in this area due to the economic crisis.
    This morning we got word that she was successful in her application for a job which is related to her Masters and that she starts on Monday.
    When she informed the company who she is doing the Jobbridge with they produced a contract for the scheme and said that she has to work out a weeks notice.
    Only for the Supervisor of her new job was so understanding, she may have lost this very real opportunity of employment for a scheme that is effectively considered slave labour.
    Had circumstances within the new company been different and the supervisor had no discretion on this then she most certainly would have lost this opportunity.
    Thankfully, he can accommodate the delay.
    I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this aspect of the Jobbridge or is anyone else aware of it.
    Is it right that this forced labour scheme could cost people who decide to take part in it the opportunity of real employment when they have given their time so freely for little to no reward?"
    How dare they assume contracts with you when they don't even pay you. This is a disgrace.
    Has anyone else had a similar experience??
    ~Belenus.

I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned here that the intern must have as much time off for interviews as they need, surely the same applies to starting a job?! The company in question is taking the píss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

rawn wrote: »

Facebook source

I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned here that the intern must have as much time off for interviews as they need, surely the same applies to starting a job?! The company in question is taking the píss.

That company should be reported. Anyway what are they going to do? Dock her wages ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Pull out all the contracts they like they don't employ you, all they can do is complain to the SW office. I really don't understand how people let these bullyboy tactics go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

What exactly are they going to do if you leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

h2005 wrote: »
    What exactly are they going to do if you leave?

The months you have done before you leave are deducted from the total amount of months you can do on JobBridges, besides that nothing.

I think some people, esp in Ireland, just have the fear of authority bred into them, even when the authority is not even real, such as a person who is not your boss because they don't employ you. I'm surprised such a motivated, educated, hardworking woman would put up with that. Do you think anyone with a master's degree in America would have any time for such antics from some place who doesn't pay her? Why do we put up with this crap in Ireland day in and day out?

Perhaps she was worried about a reference from the host company. I don't know. What I do know is that since this person is now employed, she will be considered a 'Jobbridge success story' statistically, by our liars in the Dail. Despite the fact that she got the job due to her education, despite the fact that she didn't get a job with her host company, and despite the fact that her host company actually tried to bully her into getting an extra weeks unpaid work out of her. Companies on the scheme are only after free labour.

Joan Burton would have us all believe that if you do Jobbridge and work hard, your host company will be certain to present you with a contract for paid employment. But in reality they are allowed to abuse interns, presenting them with their Jobbridge contract to try and make them work out a notice period for an unwaged job funded by taxpayer when the person has an offer of an actual job. And then they go and get another intern who they have no intention of hiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

sligoface wrote: »
    I think some people, esp in Ireland, just have the fear of authority bred into them, even when the authority is not even real, such as a person who is not your boss because they don't employ you. I'm surprised such a motivated, educated, hardworking woman would put up with that. Do you think anyone with a master's degree in America would have any time for such antics from some place who doesn't pay her? Why do we put up with this crap in Ireland day in and day out?

Perhaps she was worried about a reference from the host company. I don't know. What I do know is that since this person is now employed, she will be considered a 'Jobbridge success story' statistically, by our liars in the Dail. Despite the fact that she got the job due to her education, despite the fact that she didn't get a job with her host company, and despite the fact that her host company actually tried to bully her into getting an extra weeks unpaid work out of her. Companies on the scheme are only after free labour.

Joan Burton would have us all believe that if you do Jobbridge and work hard, your host company will be certain to present you with a contract for paid employment. But in reality they are allowed to abuse interns, presenting them with their Jobbridge contract to try and make them work out a notice period for an unwaged job funded by taxpayer when the person has an offer of an actual job. And then they go and get another intern who they have no intention of hiring.

I think you are being far too credulous http://www.thefreedictionary.com/credulous of the source of that information. A site called Call for a Revolution in Ireland with a blog which describes Jobbridge as slavery and forced labour is hardly something which a fair minded person could accept as a source of unbiased commentary. People have made up stuff on this thread quite regularly and I have challenged them on occasion. The Call for a Revolution site is full of all sorts of mad stuff and I would be very sceptical of it. Even without the benefit of a university education never mind a Masters degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

What?

So, just because of this far-left blog, you're dismissing all criticism of Jobbridge? Jobbridge might not be "slavery" in the traditional sense (i.e. unpaid labour and ownership of workers by employers), but it is a disgraceful scam that fucks over the unemployed and those trying to get a foothold on the employment ladder. It's a "Church of Rand"-fundamentalist's wet dream.

• Advertisement

If I were in her position I would have liked to hand in my notice and finish up on good terms too. It's just good sense.

I couldn't make sense of this bit. It is contradictory.

My Fiance has been working a Jobbridge for the past five months or so. She has a Masters in another field which was deemed worthless owing to the lack of opportunities in this area due to the economic crisis.

This morning we got word that she was successful in her application for a job which is related to her Masters and that she starts on Monday.

I couldn't make sense of this bit. It is contradictory.

My Fiance has been working a Jobbridge for the past five months or so. She has a Masters in another field which was deemed worthless owing to the lack of opportunities in this area due to the economic crisis.

They're the key words. For example, the tourism industry is deemed worthless, but ya can still get a job there if you're lucky.

They're the key words. For example, the tourism industry is deemed worthless, but ya can still get a job there if you're lucky.

Things must have changed since February. Back then there were vacancies in the hotel sector which employers couldn't fill. No mention of luck being involved.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/staff-shortages-hamper-hotel-growth-industry-meeting-told-1.1704117

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This post has been deleted.

Exactly. But if you let yourself be treated like a doormat, you will be...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Facebook source

i'm wondering is that "contract" even legal? surely the person would have had to sign it before they took up the jobbridge?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I think you are being far too credulous http://www.thefreedictionary.com/credulous of the source of that information. A site called Call for a Revolution in Ireland with a blog which describes Jobbridge as slavery and forced labour is hardly something which a fair minded person could accept as a source of unbiased commentary. People have made up stuff on this thread quite regularly and I have challenged them on occasion. The Call for a Revolution site is full of all sorts of mad stuff and I would be very sceptical of it. Even without the benefit of a university education never mind a Masters degree.

and the government and employers are a source of unbiased commentary? yeah right

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

Better to leave the country than work for free for some scumbag freeloading company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

Facebook source

Should have laughed in the pr*cks face and strolled out after the mention of one weeks notice.

Shocking scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Blue Whale wrote: »
    Better to leave the country than work for free for some scumbag freeloading company
    If that's your attitude towards work no company will want you.

Advertisement