Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    If that's your attitude towards work no company will want you.

Wtf are you talking about, generally the arrangement is that if you work you get paid.(by the employer!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

If that's your attitude towards work no company will want you.

What, that someone doesn't want to work for nothing for someone who ISN'T a charitable organisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Blue Whale wrote: »
    Wtf are you talking about, generally the arrangement is that if you work you get paid.(by the employer!)
    Often even in full time employment people work unpaid overtime, some even work Saturdays for no pay.

If your attitude is work only for paid hours you're going to find it hard to get a job.

Often even in full time employment people work unpaid overtime, some even work Saturdays for no pay.

If your attitude is work only for paid hours you're going to find it hard to get a job.

You seem to think that working extra hours for nothing is good. I want to work for someone who isn't going to fuck me over like that. Contrary to the Gospel of Rand, 39 hours is a decent working week.

You seem to think that working extra hours for nothing is good. I want to work for someone who isn't going to fuck me over like that. Contrary to the Gospel of Rand, 39 hours is a decent working week.
    You may not work unpaid overtime but there are many others who will. Like I said if that's going to be your attitude you're going to find it hard to get a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭oceanman

You may not work unpaid overtime but there are many others who will. Like I said if that's going to be your attitude you're going to find it hard to get a job.
    its the 'many others that will' that have the country ruined, if employers see you are a soft touch they will always take advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

I think he or she will find it much easier to get a job if they first rule out the time-wasting scam artist companies who won't pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

The whole point in working overtime is to earn that bit extra cash. Why on earth would a person waste their valuable time working overtime for nothing ? it's a nonsensical thing to do.

oceanman wrote: »
    its the 'many others that will' that have the country ruined, if employers see you are a soft touch they will always take advantage.
    DubVelo wrote: »
    I think he or she will find it much easier to get a job if they first rule out the time-wasting scam artist companies who won't pay.
    The whole point in working overtime is to earn that bit extra cash. Why on earth would a person waste their valuable time working overtime for nothing ? it's a nonsensical thing to do.
    People work unpaid overtime because they want to get that first step onto the employment ladder, getting your foot in the door and getting experience is all it's about. A job in your chosen field is a great opportunity and many people are willing to work unpaid overtime, even unpaid weekends on the quiet to secure themselves that opportunity.

I know if I was a manager and some graduate just out of college refused to work an unpaid overtime for the company I'd get rid and bring on someone with a better attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

so be it, i'd rather have no job then be treated like **** to be honest, i'm entitled to a wage for a days work unless i decide to give up my time for a charitable cause or a non-proffit organization but other then that i want and i am entitled to be payed

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

People work unpaid overtime because they want to get that first step onto the employment ladder, getting your foot in the door and getting experience is all it's about. A job in your chosen field is a great opportunity and many people are willing to work unpaid overtime, even unpaid weekends on the quiet to secure themselves that opportunity.

It just seems a little bit crazy to me. There is not a hope in hell that I would transfer my valuable time to work for any company/business doing overtime for nothing. Bills need to be paid, and overtime means extra cash for your extra time.

Are you an employer by any chance ?.
    I know if I was a manager and some graduate just out of college refused to work an unpaid overtime for the company I'd get rid and bring on someone with a better attitude.

This is the problem right here. It's folk like you that is stressing employees out to work overtime for free. We need less people like you with your kind of attitude, in my opinion.

oceanman wrote: »

A case in point is "zero hours contracts". I don't want to end up on one of those, working 80 hours a week to please some fundamentalist Randist.

It just seems a little bit crazy to me. There is not a hope in hell that I would transfer my valuable time to work for any company/business doing overtime. Bills need to be paid, and overtime means extra cash for your extra time.

Are you an employer by any chance ?.
    I would easily in exchange for a job in my chosen field. The opportunity to get into a company is more important to me than the money. Nope I'm a currently unemployed graduate.
    so be it, i'd rather have no job then be treated like **** to be honest, i'm entitled to a wage for a days work unless i decide to give up my time for a charitable cause or a non-proffit organization but other then that i want and i am entitled to be payed
    Well if that's going to be your attitude to your career in general I really don't know what to say to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

I would easily in exchange for a job in my chosen field. The opportunity to get into a company is more important to me than the money. Nope I'm a currently unemployed graduate.
    And that, my good man, is supposed to be the reason for Jobsbridge.

Precisely that.

but sadly.....

ArtSmart wrote: »
    And that, my good man, is supposed to be the reason for Jobsbridge.

Precisely that.

but sadly.....
    I agree with you there jobsbridge needs to be changed to give an applicant a better chance of getting employment out of it. I have no problem with working on the cheap for experience though that others are complaining about.

I'll be honest - I would do an internship if it was in a field that was attractive to me and gave me some basic wage to survive on. Personally, I'd love to get into video game development. An internship is meant to provide some experience for the intern, and not give an employer someone to fetch them their coffee and lunch every day, or to replace a minimum wage job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Just do what other companies are doing and get a jobbridge intern if you want free labour. There tends to be a connection between those who work overtime and those who are slowest at getting things done. Being good at your job is a far better way of getting your foot on the door.

Just do what other companies are doing and get a jobbridge intern if you want free labour. There tends to be a connection between those who work overtime and those who are slowest at getting things done. Being good at your job is a far better way of getting your foot on the door.
    Yeah that's a load of shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Steam Roller

I was called up to attend a gateway meeting last week.

Its basically forced labour. There's not alot of information out there yet but I read the Tus scheme over in the state benefits section before going. Every single page. Its a very similar scheme/process. Except Tus is 12 months long and working for non-profit organisations and Gateway is 22 months long working for the local authority.

I read every page of that Tus thread to get some idea before going in. Garda vetting forms and the same form which they made everybody sign which signed themselves off the dole. But no start date, they fill that in themselves! So basically you sit back and wait for the next letter in the door.

For anyone thats wondering the type of work. Its construction work thats available. With the storm damage that was done at Christmas with footpaths dug up and walls knocked down. Its poor sods like us, men and women, fixing up the storm damage. Some of these women at this meeting were in their 50s! I was told that it would be week on/week off type off thing. €208 for a full weeks work building walls and fixing footpaths and I have no construction experience at all. Im not sexist and I believe in equal opportunities and all that but im a woman and this construction work shouldn't be forced on to me. Never mind the slave labour.

Now the joke I read on the journal website last week. They made 2 million euro available for the gateway scheme. This payment for supervisers for supervising the slaves. How about paying the slaves?

The only thing that was said at this gateway meeting is that they were waiting on grants and it could be another two to three months. Which I didn't tell them that I moving to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

I have a job.

And I've had a job where unpaid overtime is par for the course and 10 hour days were the minimum. Although you wouldn't even call it overtime cause it was a salaried job, your expected to get the job done irrespective of hours, but the salary should be decent to reflect this.

Still though, at least the employer pays out in this situation, they aren't freeloading off the government, like "all those wasters on the dole". "shure you might as well work for us, you'll get an awful gap on your CV. Come into us, we'll give you some decent experience, and we'll get your services for free".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Yeah that's a load of shít.

All I'm saying is that a lot of people I work with see those who do overtime all the time as those who need to do it to make up for something. Their works isnt any better and they rarely get more done. Those who are good at what they do have the confidence that their work is good enough to deem them promotions, bonuses etc.
    Me staying an hour after work each day makes me no better than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

I was called up to attend a gateway meeting last week.

Its basically forced labour. There's not alot of information out there yet but I read the Tus scheme over in the state benefits section before going. Every single page. Its a very similar scheme/process. Except Tus is 12 months long and working for non-profit organisations and Gateway is 22 months long working for the local authority.

I read every page of that Tus thread to get some idea before going in. Garda vetting forms and the same form which they made everybody sign which signed themselves off the dole. But no start date, they fill that in themselves! So basically you sit back and wait for the next letter in the door.

For anyone thats wondering the type of work. Its construction work thats available. With the storm damage that was done at Christmas with footpaths dug up and walls knocked down. Its poor sods like us, men and women, fixing up the storm damage. Some of these women at this meeting were in their 50s! I was told that it would be week on/week off type off thing. €208 for a full weeks work building walls and fixing footpaths and I have no construction experience at all. Im not sexist and I believe in equal opportunities and all that but im a woman and this construction work shouldn't be forced on to me. Never mind the slave labour.

Now the joke I read on the journal website last week. They made 2 million euro available for the gateway scheme. This payment for supervisers for supervising the slaves. How about paying the slaves?

The only thing that was said at this gateway meeting is that they were waiting on grants and it could be another two to three months. Which I didn't them that I moving to the UK.

I kinda want Fianna Fail back... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

DubVelo wrote: »
    I kinda want Fianna Fail back... :o
    Dude, don't ever say that.

Don't ever even think it.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Dude, don't ever say that.

Don't ever even think it.
    Why hello there.

http://cdn2.independent.ie/incoming/article29819481.ece/754d0/ALTERNATES/h342/michael-martin-APP.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Work for no pay are people smoking crack ? I have encountered employers like this in my field, If they sense they can get you to work a bit extra they will. You will soon find yourself in on weekends and so on. This is the uber American dream kind of nonsense, work hard show your committed. All that shows is your a doormat all that hard work and that promotion you were after putting the time in goes to supervisors mate or someone who is not a doormat. There is no sector in this day and age that does not pay stupidly high wages that expect this. How much respect do you think you will get off your manager in spar for working the weekend for free... Here is a concept that is not out of the 1800s that we are fast being pushed back into, You work you get paid in compensation, You work extra you get extra compensation for you time. The only person who is profiting out of your hard work is the employer. Not everyone is a college grad fresh out and needs experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

it says a lot when companies don't want to named when they use JobBridge http://www.thejournal.ie/joan-burton-department-jobbridge-companies-anonymous-1528092-Jun2014/

It also says that in refusing to "name the 32 companies that were blacklisted because they had in some cases failed to mentor and develop the interns, the Department said there is “an overriding public interest” in keeping these details confidential." Surely perspective "employees" should know what companies have being blacklisted so that they can make make a informed decision so as not to be taken advantage of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

gambit83 wrote: »
    ithere is “an overriding public interest” in keeping these details confidential." Surely perspective "employees" should know what companies have being blacklisted so that they can make make a informed decision so as not to be taken advantage of

“There is not a crime, there is not a dodge, there is not a trick, there is not a swindle, there is not a vice which does not live by secrecy.”

J Pulitizer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

Update this list with companies you know are using or advertising for JobBridge internships

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90950221#post90950221

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭numnumcake

I'm job hunting at the moment after finishing college and it's so disheartening to see that nearly every job in my field is job bridge! I even saw a job bridge position today to work in a deli. It's a joke!! What labour have done to the young people in this country is disgusting and it's no wonder that we're leaving. All I want at entry level is minimum wage but even that's too much to ask. Will this crazy scheme be scrapped in the near future? What can we as citizens do about because I'm sure I'm not the only one that's had enough!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,827 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

numnumcake wrote: »
    I'm job hunting at the moment after finishing college and it's so disheartening to see that nearly every job in my field is job bridge! I even saw a job bridge position today to work in a deli. It's a joke!! What labour have done to the young people in this country is disgusting and it's no wonder that we're leaving. All I want at entry level is minimum wage but even that's too much to ask. Will this crazy scheme be scrapped in the near future? What can we as citizens do about because I'm sure I'm not the only one that's had enough!!

I have banged on about it before it seems so simple. The host business has to put €120 a week towards paying the employee.

Struggling businesses are getting an employee for a third of what they normally would pay.

Businesses who make up jobs to get free labour or to make tea and coffee won't put up the €120. So filters out the company's who are taking advantage.

The intern will be getting minimum wage and people will apply more for these positions. Also the country benefits with more money being pumped back into the economy.

Advertisement