Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Seen one today for a household assistant for a nursing home. Cleaning and kitchen duties. A 9 month internship for 30 hours a week.

These are real jobs requiring very little skills and training. It doesn't take 9 months for basic household skills. 30 hours x 8.65 = 260 saved for the employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

Seen one today for a household assistant for a nursing home. Cleaning and kitchen duties. A 9 month internship for 30 hours a week.

These are real jobs requiring very little skills and training. It doesn't take 9 months for basic household skills. 30 hours x 8.65 = 260 saved for the employer.

260 a week by 9 months, 37 or 38 weeks. Saving minimum 10 grand anyway.

Some of them can't even have a clear description of what an intern will be learning over 9 months.

Like this one
    http://jobseeker.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=0cWX8F9pClrUFRzFCzOBy4oWO5UKhsFrNswgKefNG/GujikyBpP9f0AMv17VxWHmYb1zPkzt8kTtUzhzO8j1IbHjOQr9WydiLsuchzcSBACBsNuEk8xJKsiixl7awEfp6wndRrOLcMKtzyi/smmYSAa8DRqEal0DwIyX+w9ghQyQD7RBRVMlPe6vPmPJdsu2ppLLYDPoRdsMQzRDPiRhE6KcmdPwPyDO8cjd2HAmb59dypVNTw3nhVKozaFkCUK77UUwhie+1HYIaWXt8LyekobsYsAoTPZzs6ghqlP4rJWHmqM7XB4MfVmesDZdJIexbp+4nZJbrj4sWdMv9rBBCz/diJycchTHg4JLWvCdUX4n6pkSMfLDIeovGwZPhlj7jsYwNFWXrsNJ8x8buKdKFs79Lm2/wUVglentPr4vzxQq+xdKT+EBT3fIXb5kpCY5ZgW8CQoWEuKPHdsooegr7qW4aFMSPA90yYAO7fL9CpE=

This internship will provide an individual with an opportunity to put into practice the skills they have learned during training or education in a workplace setting.

So what kind of qualifications do you need?
    Education requirements: Other- ability to work and complete tasks in a timely manner.

Rape written all over this one.

And if you want your intern to have fluent english, learn to spell hygiene properly you racist ass wipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

That's silly mistake to make if they want people to take it seriously! I've seen a few make that blunder on jobbridge and few other job boards online.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

numnumcake wrote: »
    What can we as citizens do about because I'm sure I'm not the only one that's had enough!!

At a recent jobs fair I brought the matter to the attention of someone on the Intreo stand - all she did was shrug her shoulders.:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Some of them can't even have a clear description of what an intern will be learning over 9 months.

Like this one
    http://jobseeker.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=0cWX8F9pClrUFRzFCzOBy4oWO5UKhsFrNswgKefNG/GujikyBpP9f0AMv17VxWHmYb1zPkzt8kTtUzhzO8j1IbHjOQr9WydiLsuchzcSBACBsNuEk8xJKsiixl7awEfp6wndRrOLcMKtzyi/smmYSAa8DRqEal0DwIyX+w9ghQyQD7RBRVMlPe6vPmPJdsu2ppLLYDPoRdsMQzRDPiRhE6KcmdPwPyDO8cjd2HAmb59dypVNTw3nhVKozaFkCUK77UUwhie+1HYIaWXt8LyekobsYsAoTPZzs6ghqlP4rJWHmqM7XB4MfVmesDZdJIexbp+4nZJbrj4sWdMv9rBBCz/diJycchTHg4JLWvCdUX4n6pkSMfLDIeovGwZPhlj7jsYwNFWXrsNJ8x8buKdKFs79Lm2/wUVglentPr4vzxQq+xdKT+EBT3fIXb5kpCY5ZgW8CQoWEuKPHdsooegr7qW4aFMSPA90yYAO7fL9CpE=

This internship will provide an individual with an opportunity to put into practice the skills they have learned during training or education in a workplace setting.

Education requirements: Other- ability to work and complete tasks in a timely manner.

And if you want your intern to have fluent english, learn to spell hygiene properly you racist ass wipe.

I think most of the companies just get a generic forum to fill out.
    I remember seeing it a few weeks ago; most if not all the JB is written the same but with a sort of "fill in some words here".

It's basically f**king automated slave labour at this stage.

If the companies can't make an effort with a simple job advert, it says alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Is it racist to require employees to have fluent English now? :confused:

I would imagine it's a necessity for a lot of jobs

Is it racist to require employees to have fluent English now? :confused:

Her point is that they spelled "hygiene" wrong but want someone with fluent English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

I think most of the companies just get a generic forum to fill out.

But even going by this, the ad Hardluckwoman linked is particularly lazy.

• Advertisement

Tarzana wrote: »
    But even going by this, the ad Hardluckwoman linked is particularly lazy.
    That was my point.
    It seems that one was the basic format (pretty much).
    You'll notice a lot of them are like that.
    "achieve skills in blah blah" and after nine months "will have skills in blah blah blah".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Is it racist to require employees to have fluent English now?

no

i would also

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Like this one

. Following the email provided, you can end up here:
    Join a growing company that really cares about its employees

COMPANY NAME

We are committed to supporting staff to develop in their chosen careers. We regard our staff as family and give high levels of support to our team:

•Support with personal development to build self-confidence and interpersonal skills

•A genuine focus on training

•Outstanding reward and recognition

•Healthcare insurance

•Initiatives to promote health and wellbeing

•Equal opportunities employer

•Investors in People accreditation

•Opportunities for flexible working in...

Just some I saw today

Kitchen porter
    Cafe assistant
    Car wash attentants again

A good one is a farm labourer on a potatoe farm packing spuds amongst other duties.

Seriously it has to be scrapped and the sooner the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Everything in this country is so expensive but no one wants to pay for workers. It's never going to work. And neither are am I, by the looks of things. The lack of opportunities outside the capital is so depressing.

Worst thing I've heard recently is where my friend works the place is almost all male so the owner wants to use jobbridge simply to get a few nice looking birds to perv on. He 'evaluates' the interviewees to the other lads based on their physical attributes.

I want to leave this country so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

sligoface wrote: »
    Everything in this country is so expensive but no one wants to pay for workers. It's never going to work. And neither are am I, by the looks of things. The lack of opportunities outside the capital is so depressing.

Worst thing I've heard recently is where my friend works the place is almost all male so the owner wants to use jobbridge simply to get a few nice looking birds to perv on. He 'evaluates' the interviewees to the other lads based on their physical attributes.

I want to leave this country so bad.
    You think that doesn't happen in other countries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    You think that doesn't happen in other countries?

Which part? Internships or perving bosses?

Obviously there are pervs and piss takers all over the planet. But I don't think that in most countries, during a horrible recession, the governments best efforts to combat unemployment amount to this: implement a free labour scheme to skew unemployment numbers and deliberately neglect to monitor it to ensure as many companies as possible can use it, in turn allowing wanton abuse of people desperate for employment and decimating the amount of paid jobs available in the hardest hit areas. Interviewing females to ogle full time under the pretense of providing a chance at a job is a disgusting abuse and the jobbridge scheme allows for this due to its lack of regulations and monitoring.

Yes, other countries have internships, usually in skilled careers and large companies, where they see an intern as an investment and someone who can provide fresh ideas. Where even a pervy chauvinist manager is not going to be able to bring in someone just to watch them walk to the copy machine and not provide training or a solid chance at a job.

Do you think other countries have internships in coffee shops and carwashes? Ffs people take up internships in other countries as an alternative to menial jobs, so that they have a career instead. Meaning they have a choice. Here, we are offering many people only one option: work for free for nine months, even in a crappy service job requiring little training. Because there's sweet eff all else on offer.And why would there be, when there is a free labour scheme and plenty of unemployed people being pressured into participating it, some so desperate that the extra fifty euro and having somewhere to go in the morning actually seems attractive, because they've nearly given up on getting full time work?

Does anyone else find the old 'It happens in other countries' as an argument to beyond weak? Lots of horrible things happen in other places in the world, that doesn't mean that you or I deserve the same. If my next door neighbor beats his wife it doesn't mean it's okay for me to do it. With that line of thinking we will end up with the worst of everything. This same line gets parrotted ad nauseum in regards to water charges by those who lap up everything the government says, who are lucky enough to be able to afford to pay and categorize all those who protest that they can't pay as rabble rousing vermin freeloaders.

People who use this as an argument really need to think of a better one, esp as regards jobbridge, because I really don't think there are other countries with waiters, cashiers, janitors and receptionists and car wash attendants working for private companies while getting paid by the government under the guise of an internship. Maybe I'm wrong, and if I am, well then those countries are messed up, too.

Are you suggesting that we should accept unfairness and abuse, simply because it exists elsewhere? And that we should not only accept it, but implement government schemes to facilitate it and make it easy for people to be ripped off, denied a chance at a fair days pay for a days work, and be generally treated like crap? That kind of attitude is going to lead us where?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Rainbow_Bright

Dunshaughlin Community College has 5 internships up for grabs. How is that even right? It's situations like this that bug me! End of rant! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

Hamilton Park Care Center in Balbriggan are seeking 48 Carers/Health Carer Workers in two separate adverts :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Don't all apply at once lads. Internship for potato pickers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Dunshaughlin Community College has 5 internships up for grabs. How is that even right? It's situations like this that bug me! End of rant! :)

can you link to these? Thanks

Edit: Found them!

Hamilton Park Care Center in Balbriggan are seeking 48 Carers/Health Carer Workers in two separate adverts :(.

+ 1 Hygiene Assistant (fancy name for a cleaner)

I wrote about it on the previous page here. The same crowd. You would have to wonder if they are staffing their whole business from jobbridge.

+ 1 Hygiene Assistant (fancy name for a cleaner)

I wrote about it on the previous page here. The same crowd. You would have to wonder if they are staffing their whole business from jobbridge.

It certainly looks that way.

49 slaves for 30 hours a week. €8.65 min wage works out at €12,715 a week if they were to pay them.

Dont the families pay enough in nursing home fees for their elderly relatives. And now to get slaves in to work.

Thats low. I pity the old people, just how much care are they getting from people that are also being forced into it by the DSP.

49 slaves for 30 hours a week. €8.65 min wage works out at €12,715 a week if they were to pay them.

Dont the families pay enough in nursing home fees for their elderly relatives. And now to get slaves in to work.

Thats low. I pity the old people, just how much care are they getting from people that are also being forced into it by the DSP.

Read their inspection reports. There was a high turnover of staff noted in Nov 2013 inspection report, 38 staff members left, 30 of which were care staff. Obviously, more have walked since.

http://www.hiqa.ie/social-care/find-a-centre/nursing-homes/hamilton-park

Read their inspection reports. There was a high turnover of staff noted in Nov 2013 inspection report, 38 staff members left, 30 of which were care staff. Obviously, more have walked since.

http://www.hiqa.ie/social-care/find-a-centre/nursing-homes/hamilton-park

So the solution is to get them in on jobbridge so they cant leave?

Just fcuking nice.

Will they take it out on the old people?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

sligoface wrote: »
    Which part? Internships or perving bosses?

Obviously there are pervs and piss takers all over the planet. But I don't think that in most countries, during a horrible recession, the governments best efforts to combat unemployment amount to this: implement a free labour scheme to skew unemployment numbers and deliberately neglect to monitor it to ensure as many companies as possible can use it, in turn allowing wanton abuse of people desperate for employment and decimating the amount of paid jobs available in the hardest hit areas. Interviewing females to ogle full time under the pretense of providing a chance at a job is a disgusting abuse and the jobbridge scheme allows for this due to its lack of regulations and monitoring.

Yes, other countries have internships, usually in skilled careers and large companies, where they see an intern as an investment and someone who can provide fresh ideas. Where even a pervy chauvinist manager is not going to be able to bring in someone just to watch them walk to the copy machine and not provide training or a solid chance at a job.

Do you think other countries have internships in coffee shops and carwashes? Ffs people take up internships in other countries as an alternative to menial jobs, so that they have a career instead. Meaning they have a choice. Here, we are offering many people only one option: work for free for nine months, even in a crappy service job requiring little training. Because there's sweet eff all else on offer.And why would there be, when there is a free labour scheme and plenty of unemployed people being pressured into participating it, some so desperate that the extra fifty euro and having somewhere to go in the morning actually seems attractive, because they've nearly given up on getting full time work?

Does anyone else find the old 'It happens in other countries' as an argument to beyond weak? Lots of horrible things happen in other places in the world, that doesn't mean that you or I deserve the same. If my next door neighbor beats his wife it doesn't mean it's okay for me to do it. With that line of thinking we will end up with the worst of everything. This same line gets parrotted ad nauseum in regards to water charges by those who lap up everything the government says, who are lucky enough to be able to afford to pay and categorize all those who protest that they can't pay as rabble rousing vermin freeloaders.

People who use this as an argument really need to think of a better one, esp as regards jobbridge, because I really don't think there are other countries with waiters, cashiers, janitors and receptionists and car wash attendants working for private companies while getting paid by the government under the guise of an internship. Maybe I'm wrong, and if I am, well then those countries are messed up, too.

Are you suggesting that we should accept unfairness and abuse, simply because it exists elsewhere? And that we should not only accept it, but implement government schemes to facilitate it and make it easy for people to be ripped off, denied a chance at a fair days pay for a days work, and be generally treated like crap? That kind of attitude is going to lead us where?

Man I was just making a tounge in cheek remark about international perving bosses but if you want to go on a full rant don't let ne stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Haven't looked at this thread in a while. Not shocked to see Jobbridge is still being abused.

I think this scheme is BS through and through. It's obvious the government know that. But I think the scheme was designed to be layered BS to begin with.

- Stroke the live register figures.
    - Give employers free labor with hopes they will grow / expand.
    - Also gives someone "experience" with hopes they will piss off to another country and get a job there.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭numnumcake

I' not able to post the link but there is a advertisement online for an internship as a, wait for it, CAR WASH ATTENDANT!

Why is there no regulation around this at all. The dogs on the street could tell you this is exploitation and employers participating in this should be ashamed of themselves. I only hope this nonsense scheme will be scrapped soon or there will be no more hope for the youth of this country

• Advertisement

Seen another one for a food delivery driver. Driving from A to B with food. At this stage, I dont even have to say whats wrong with that.

Are these rocket science internships how it takes cleaners, shelf stackers, shop workers, laundry workers, car wash assistants, cafe assistants, potatoe packers, 6-9 months to learn. Only to finish up and be replaced and be forced out again for another 9 months doing more slavery.

Advertisement