Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

First ruling of Joan as supreme leader was a takeover of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

First ruling of Joan as supreme leader was a takeover of boards.

The type of woman that would be proud to be the supreme leader of a bunch of rats on a sinking ship, she has the face of the most punchable bop bag you would of seen in the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

not so shocking pieces of information, all for their buddies in business. it should be published and the coffin nailed down. a huge displacement of jobs going on here.

we all knew this of course but its nice to put a name to it all. job creation me h***

Hard to believe that boards deleted the whole thread with no reason given. Really makes you wonder where the order to do so came from and it says a lot about boards and hot it's run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Hard to believe that boards deleted the whole thread with no reason given. Really makes you wonder where the order to do so came from and it says a lot about boards and hot it's run
    Boards folds at even the slightest threat from any organisation or individual with even a hint of power.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

The one listing companies that use JobBridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Have no idea why it's public available information

• Registered Users Posts: 26 charcoal blue

JobBridge interns are not required to sign any non-disclosure agreements to say they will not disclose the fact that they are "employed" under the JobBridge scheme with company X....so there is nothing to prevent anybody who wishes disclosing the names of the companies they work for/their friends work for. My original intention was to compile a list via this method as the Department of Social Protection refused to release the names of companies using JobBridge. It was only afterwards I discovered that a 2012 FOI request (thanks to faduda.ie/200-words/jobbridge-the-story-so-far) had already yielded the names of 8,000+ companies. I'd imagine a significant number of the 68% of companies which the Dept of Social Protection currently refuses to name (thejournal.ie/joan-burton-department-jobbridge-companies-anonymous-1528092-Jun2014/) are on that list.

I didn't necessarily want the thread to turn into a debate about JobBridge, there is this one and others for that. Personally if I was an employer I might avail of JobBridge depending on the situation. I think the scheme itself would have been a great idea had it been implemented properly and selectively but it has turned into nothing more than the most well off in society exploiting the least well off and an opportunity to spin employment figures.

A government asking/allowing/requring 26,000+ jobseekers to work at a level below the legal minimum wage is something that MUST be completely transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

because they fear it will damage their business, they must feel guilty about... something.

its all out there.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    Yeah it is gone, it would be nice to get a bit more clarity on its deletion as it is quite easy to prove these companies use the scheme.

It's back up: boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057234927

A problem with a couple of posts but not the actual list of companies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I hope this one has a permanent mentor and is a good swimmer!

http://goo.gl/dvF2DG

This Internship will provide an individual with an opportunity to put into practice the skills they have learned during prior training or education in a workplace setting
    the opportunity to obtain wider product or service knowledge and establish networks for future employment

No alarm bells here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Fair enough if they were threatened, easy for us to say fight the man when we don't have to pay legal fees.

But I am a little confused, I mean a certain other forum on boards has a long running thread where posters can actually name and shame companies with questionable practices, yet it's never been closed.

Fair enough if they were threatened, easy for us to say fight the man when we don't have to pay legal fees.

But I am a little confused, I mean a certain other forum on boards has a long running thread where posters can actually name and shame companies with questionable practices, yet it's never been closed.

It was closed recently and boards then brought it back. I'm fairly certain that naming companies availing of jobsbridge is not a case for the courts

Had two new interns start today and got talking to them about how they felt about the scheme, was surprised to hear that they both were called to a meeting in the local Intreo building along with about 14 others and they were told that JobBridge is exploitation but it is an employers market and nothing can be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

Xenji wrote: »
    Had two new interns start today and got talking to them about how they felt about the scheme, was surprised to hear that they both were called to a meeting in the local Intreo building along with about 14 others and they were told that JobBridge is exploitation but it is an employers market and nothing can be done about it.

Many places are now recycling intern positions with new interns. Other companies cant compete with that, especially smaller ones.

I'd say so many businesses will be dependent on interns that it would give the govt the excuse to keep this scheme going indefinitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

It was closed recently and boards then brought it back. I'm fairly certain that naming companies availing of jobsbridge is not a case for the courts

I do think little screengrabs should be provided as proof (you can usually ascertain the company from the email provided), but if that's done, I don't see the issue.

Tarzana wrote: »
    I do think little screengrabs should be provided as proof (you can usually ascertain the company from the email provided), but if that's done, I don't see the issue.

With over 8,000 companies using the scheme it's not practical to post a screenshot for each one. The main list from 2012 came directly from the Department of Social Protection.

A number of the companies have a mobile phone number posted on the JobBridge site, no name/email address. I don't think it would be appropriate to post what could also be a personal mobile number of somebody on Boards as proof. Some company names that are listed are not currently advertising but people are either doing internships themselves or know people who are or have done ones.

If companies truly believed they were providing an amazing opportunity by offering JobBridge internships they would be shouting it from the rooftops and would feel proud to have their company name associated with the scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Too true with the last point...

Do you think this primary school in Meath would be happy to publicise they will be paying a qualified teacher on jobbridge the Dole+€50.

St. Brigids National School, Meath Hill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

typing the email address into facebook also identifies some of the companies who advertise only with a gmail address.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Armelodie wrote: »
    Too true with the last point...

Do you think this primary school in Meath would be happy to publicise they will be paying a qualified teacher on jobbridge the Dole+€50.

St. Brigids National School, Meath Hill

They need a new geography teacher if they think Meath Hill is in urban Navan. Nothing unusual about teacher ads. There are six at present. They even have a special memo for the education sector.

http://www.jobbridge.ie/notice9.aspx

I see they deleted another page from the name and shame thread, no reason given yet.

I'm confused how can you have a teacher intern ? Are they not just looking for an out of work teacher to pay peanuts ? If you are proficient enough to teach a class of kids don’t you deserve to be paid a fair wage for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Terry Leyden (Fianna Fail)

That was a very interesting contribution. I second Senator O'Donovan's proposed amendment to the Order of Business.
    Further to raising an issue yesterday regarding abuse of social media and anonymous tweets, I brought the issue to the attention of Mr. Billy Hawkes, the Data Protection Commissioner. In a warning to an MEP not to repeat lies on Twitter, unless he takes down those tweets he will be open to prosecution by the Data Protection Commissioner. I hope to proceed in this regard as that will teach certain people lessons about how to treat others and to have some respect and manners for the ordinary citizen and not to walk on the ordinary citizen.
    I certainly will campaign to protect the rights of Irish citizens in respect of social media and the abuse thereof. I certainly will investigate what other action should be taken in the State in this particular regard. What is happening at present is that tweets and statements are being put up by anonymous sources, which can be and will be traced. However, these are then fed into the system and become a reality. Then, media such as TheJournal.ie carry out an investigation, check the sources and will not put them up unless they are satisfied the facts are true and cannot be challenged in court or otherwise. This is an area the Seanad should debate in the autumn. The appropriate Minister should be brought into the House to outline precisely what action is being taken in the State. The citizens have a right to be protected and I note Members have protection in the Chamber.

We have the right of response in this House and we have the privilege to make statements to alert people to this issue and, if necessary, name those who are abusing the system. When a statement goes up, it leads to further abuses throughout the country and it ends up as a fact when it is only fiction. For all time, that will be in Google. If one Googles a name, those wrong statements will appear. I am alerting the House to this issue. I will be considering a Private Members' Bill and I have been in contact with the Data Protection Commissioner to see if he requires further support. He could bring that to the Government.

I support the points made by Senators O'Brien and Bacik on the situation in Gaza. It is outrageous. I ask the Israelis to desist and ask Hamas to stop firing bombs into Israel. It is only provoking a very powerful foe. http://www.kildarestreet.com/sendebates/?gid=2014-07-09a.43
    Terry Leyden (Fianna Fail)
    Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

I second Senator Denis O'Donovan's amendment to the Order of Business. I want to place on record my welcome to the ambassador, Dominick Chilcott, and his cousin. He is fulfilling a wonderful ambassador role in Ireland on behalf of the United Kingdom. He is always available to Members of the Oireachtas. He is doing an excellent job and I wish him continued success. I am delighted that he took the time to visit the Seanad today. It is a welcome recognition of our position.

I congratulate Deputy Joan Burton on becoming the second woman to lead a substantial party in Ireland. It is a step in the right direction. Senator Aideen Hayden mentioned comments about ageism but the comments I heard were from Deputy Dominic Hannigan and the Minister of State, Deputy Alex White. Deputy Burton is a very experienced Minister and I believe she will do an excellent job as leader of the Labour Party. From a national point of view it is important to have somebody of her calibre as Tánaiste, and I wish her success.

I refer to an aspect of social media. The Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources should examine cases where people post untruths on social media and members of the public do not have any recourse in terms of having their names vindicated. It has become viral now, and it is a problem that Senators, TDs and councillors are coming across more frequently. There appears to be no regard for the truth or for respectability in the responses made to individuals. It is a form of bullying, and I believe

Yes. It is outrageous, and it is about time some government said it will not allow that. If people put something on social media, they should have to prove what they are saying is correct or it should be removed. Ordinary citizens and professionals such as teachers and so on are finding this is becoming a fact of life. It is an issue Members of the Seanad should examine. http://www.kildarestreet.com/sendebates/?id=2014-07-08a.14#g50
    blaa

If companies truly believed they were providing an amazing opportunity by offering JobBridge internships they would be shouting it from the rooftops and would feel proud to have their company name associated with the scheme.

Oh, I totally agree. Companies who participate know full well that it's exploitative and as so many companies engage in bullshítty corporate social responsibility PR exercises these days, this is something they're not going to want to highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Oh, I totally agree. Companies who participate know full well that it's exploitative and as so many companies engage in bullshítty corporate social responsibility PR exercises these days, this is something they're not going to want to highlight.
    You know they get 7k if they take a job-bridge worker on after they've finished their 9 months?

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    You know they get 7k if they take a job-bridge worker on after they've finished their 9 months?

Nope, have read a lot about the scheme, and have never, ever heard that. I can't any reference to this anywhere. Can you show where this is stated? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

7k is nothing compared to what they save in wage and tax. Even more of a slap in the face!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Nope, have read a lot about the scheme, and have never, ever heard that. I can't any reference to this anywhere. Can you show where this is stated? Thanks.

Fás guy told me.

Advertisement