Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Xenji wrote: »
    Just the name, everything else is the same.

Did they not spend a load of money on that rebrand to. I have had dealings with fas a lot of people walking around doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

You got an internship in a Council didn't you, we put interns on any courses they like if there are empty spaces available.

Nope , a warehouse , I applied for it so im doing it willingly and I really like it, seems like one of the company's that are actually not abusing it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Did they not spend a load of money on that rebrand to. I have had dealings with fas a lot of people walking around doing nothing.

Fas is mostly for people who choose not to try and get work, I've been in 3 of them,say about 20 people in each course.
    30 people were their because the social made them, 10 were close too retirement so we're doing it for extra few bob. 15 wanted to be their and 5 needed it for a job. Basically 40 people doing it either didn't want to do it or wanted it for the extra few quid. Nothing from them people. Registered to me that they were trying to look for work . Which annoyed the **** outta me

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

I've just read a few pages of this thread and there seems to be mixed feelings about jobbridge. I know an employer that is currently considering it. What would the general feeling be on the following:

A small private company, occasionally could do with an extra member of clerical staff, but at present cannot justify a full-time position. Take on an intern, who would receive SW +€50, and then topped up with another €50 by employer. Experience not necessary, and gain experience in general office duties. He could not guarantee a full-time position at the end of internship, but there is a possibility, or at least part-time work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I've just read a few pages of this thread and there seems to be mixed feelings about jobbridge. I know an employer that is currently considering it. What would the general feeling be on the following:

A small private company, occasionally could do with an extra member of clerical staff, but at present cannot justify a full-time position. Take on an intern, who would receive SW +€50, and then topped up with another €50 by employer. Experience not necessary, and gain experience in general office duties. He could not guarantee a full-time position at the end of internship, but there is a possibility, or at least part-time work.

You can't pay them any money yourself. I'm not sure if there is anything against "vouchers" though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Seems reasonable, though as mentioned above if you want to be generous and give him an extra 50 quid it has to be off the books so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I think an employer throwing an intern 50 euro a week under the table is the decent thing to do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Kennel lAssitant wanted as intern with one years experience and own transport.

Well to start with that's not how you spell Kennel Assistant!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Hermy wrote: »

Well thats a joke. You must have a year's experience walking and feeding dogs, and cleaning kennels....then the dole+€50 a week for that work for 9 months.

Pure p!ss take.

Don't forget your transport - couldn't have the poor employer paying for that either!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Names, numbers and addresses available for that one, I would say its only a matter of time before people start getting threatening calls from disgruntled members of public over some of these internships, especially in towns where jobs are so scare, it has happened here already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Names, numbers and addresses available for that one, I would say its only a matter of time before people start getting threatening calls from disgruntled members of public over some of these internships, especially in towns where jobs are so scare, it has happened here already.

Really?

Doesn't surprise me actually, especially as you say in small towns. A lot of the pisstake ads disappear fairly lively, if you notice. And in a small town, putting up a pisstake ad could really damage your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

That is exactly what it is for, IMO. A full time position might not be affordable for a small firm, but the addition of an intern for a while might help it expand enough such that there is the resource for a full time position. A win win for everyone....jobbridge leads to a growing company and the addition of a full time job. Not the replacement of a full time job by an internship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Don't forget your transport - couldn't have the poor employer paying for that either!

I'm on jobbridge, and in the contract/employee and employer guide is states the employer should not give the intern money for transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Aikau

I found this on Linkdin. It is a reply to a post on someone looking to take on an intern: "Money is an agreed-upon standardized measurement of effort. "Free" means they get nothing for their effort. We established labour laws(I believe the country where the author is from is England)to make this very clear. Someone might say "but we're teaching them valuable tasks and this is a fair trade". Is it? Let's look at this exchange further. If the employer is teaching a task then they are providing a service, and this warrants whatever reimbursement required for the investment of time on their part. If the employer is teaching a task and the intern then repeats the task several times with the task contributing to the operations and/or profitability of the company, they are working. They long ago paid for the instructions given. Claiming the exchange as a fair trade when they are repeating the task and contributing towards operations and/or profitability without receiving a salary in return isn't right, is it? Who is doing calculations to see whether this exchange is equal in economic terms? Who is providing a profit and expenditure breakdown for them to clearly see whether they are getting a fair exchange? And how does one do a cost breakdown for vague contributions, such as social betterment? Business is business: what metrics are used here? Younger and/or more inexperienced people in the workforce might not consider these aspects and know to request this information to ascertain whether fairness is being offered in this "deal". A wonderful spin in the wrong hands ends up being justification of exploitation under the guise of altruism. If anyone really wants to be charitable, offer a base salary; putting interns a step closer towards poverty to save a buck is not charitable in the least"

I'm on jobbridge, and in the contract/employee and employer guide is states the employer should not give the intern money for transport.

The position I highlighted states that transport is required for the job. I would presume this to mean that as part of your work you will be required to do some driving at your own expense.
    I don't mean that the company should be paying your bus fare.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thirdtime

I was recently offered a position on JobBridge. The employer wants references from every company I've worked for for the last 6years.

Is this a little excessive for an unpaid internship?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

thirdtime wrote: »
    I was recently offered a position on JobBridge. The employer wants references from every company I've worked for for the last 6years.

For an unpaid internship, yes.

Might depend what it is as well, since plenty of internships are pretty high level placements (research etc), but if they want an intern that fulfils that kind of criteria then best of luck to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Its a bit much usually most places only need 2-3 Referees the most or recent one. Usually have one academic and two work-place ones.

Kai123 wrote: »
    For an unpaid internship, yes.

Might depend what it is as well, since plenty of internships are pretty high level placements (research etc), but if they want an intern that fulfils that kind of criteria then best of luck to them!

Nah its not for an high level position, more admin based

• Advertisement

doovdela wrote: »
    Its a bit much usually most places only need 2-3 Referees the most or recent one. Usually have one academic and two work-place ones.

Even for a JobBridge position?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

It's fairly excessive for most companies to be honest.

It's def a reference and not just your employment history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

I can't see how jobs from years back would even be relevant. References lose their potency the longer ago the job is. I'd imagine a boss from years back would find it strange to be asked to provide a reference for you, if your former boss even still works there!

Also, what would a grad provide them with, considering they likely wouldn't have even a partial six year work history, never mind a full six years!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Even for a JobBridge position?

For full time or longer contracts, permanent and full time jobs yes but for a Jobbridge probably what ever number of refs you have on CV should be sufficient I say two referees be enough. Usually the most relevant ones be more appropriate or recent ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kdave2

All a load of bull**** if you ask me I have a Ba hons degree and an IPASS qualification and for payroll jobs most of them are looking for prior experience but magically the jobbridge one doesnt need any prior experience despite being the same spec in jobs.Just makes my blood boild that someone who has qualifications like this would have to go unemployed for 6 months to qualifiy for these jobsbridge ****e in oder to gain experience they shouldnt need.If you have the qualifications the least a job can do is train you in isnt that wnat they are supposed to do anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Rather shocking article on rte news today

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0803/634943-supported-employment-scheme/
    An unpublished review into a €9m Government scheme which aims to help at least 50% of disabled participants find work has found just 6% were exiting the scheme with jobs.

The Department of Social Protection has told RTÉ's This Week that it is to carry out a review into alleged shortcomings in the 'Supported Employment' scheme.

Concerns over the cost-benefit, and other issues, were identified in a report carried out by the Department of Social Protection, a copy of which has been obtained by This Week.

Even when part-time work was included, the success rate for participants failed to pass 20%, the report found.

In addition to concerns over the low number of jobs generated via the scheme, the department said there were "fundamental" concerns over the inadequate data being retained on how the programme was operated.

Auditors found imprudent financial management at one service provider; and a lack of garda vetting at another service provider who was dealing with around 50 participants.

On a practical level, of the two service providers it audited, the review team also found that one service provider was operating from a building which was inaccessible to people with certain disabilities.

The report found that given the low number of disabled participants exiting the scheme in employment, the expenditure of €8.9m a year on this programme represented a "high cost".

All of the money spent under the programme goes to the 23 private limited companies that operate the service on contract from the department.

The department said that €7.3m of this was spent on job coaches, who are hired by third-party service providers to help disabled people find work.

The internal report examined the handling of disabled clients at two service providers, one in the west of Ireland and one in the Munster area, over the 2012 and 2013 period.

It found there were more job coaches working for these two service providers than there were successful disabled participants who found full-time work.

The report was obtained by RTÉ under a Freedom of Information inquiry.

A spokesman for the Minister for Social Protection, Tánaiste Joan Burton, said that the review would look at whether the 50% jobs target was realistic in the current economic climate, but it described the low number of jobs which had been generated under the programme as a "disappointment".

In the statement to RTÉ, the department said that external consultants would be hired and in place by early 2015 to conduct a review into the programme.

Disability rights campaigner Suzy Byrne told This Week that by "franchising" out services for the disabled to third-party limited companies, the state had effectively diminished its own expertise in the sector.

If only 6% are getting jobs i think its time to trow in the towel on jobbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

jjbrien wrote: »

That is the Supported Employment scheme, not Jobbridge.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_and_disability/supported_employment_for_people_with_disabilities.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Expect that they aren't talking about jobsbridge. They are talking about employment support schemes which are meant to help people with physical disabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

That's a scheme for disabled people. Did you and the two people who thanked your post even bother reading the article?

• Advertisement

Sadly not a bit shocking.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement