Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    That's a scheme for disabled people. Did you and the two people who thanked your post even bother reading the article?

I did but jobbridge does accept people who have been on disability allowance its one of the accepted payments to qualify for it.

Still even though it shows that these schemes the government are coming up with are just not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

jjbrien wrote: »
    I did but jobbridge does accept people who have been on disability allowance its one of the accepted payments to qualify for it.

Still even though it shows that these schemes the government are coming up with are just not working.
    Why is that relevant?

No it doesn't it shows that particular scheme isn't working. Job-bridge is a completely different scheme.

Actually as an alternative, what would you rather the government do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I'm doing a job bridge atm and it's sickening.

I'm sickened because it's actually brilliant and I'm enjoying every little minute of it. I know I should punch myself in the face for saying it but there it is. I haven't even been paid yet and I still think it's amazing. I realize there's obviously something seriously wrong with me. I'm a bit sad because I know there will come a day when it will end. :( (but then I've loads of skillz, invaluable experience and hopefully a good ref, so bring it on)

needed to get that off my chest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

pharmaton wrote: »

I'm sickened because it's actually brilliant and I'm enjoying every little minute of it. I know I should punch myself in the face for saying it but there it is. I haven't even been paid yet and I still think it's amazing. I realize there's obviously something seriously wrong with me. I'm a bit sad because I know there will come a day when it will end. :( (but then I've loads of skillz, invaluable experience and hopefully a good ref, so bring it on)

Good man.

er, I take it you're not washing dishes or selling shoes?

sigh.

Nothing wrong with Jobsbridge if it's PROPER INTERNSHIPS!!!!!

Good Lord. Is it really that difficult to see why many have issues with this?

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Good man.

sigh.

nope, no shoe selling for me. Can't really go into detail but it's in the public sector, and knew going in that there would be nothing at the end of my internship.

I do hear ya though, seriously I read Vicktor Frankl's account of life in a concentration camp in preparation, following most of the discussion and revelations about job bridge that I had come across I felt it was necessary, so I'm pleasantly surprised that it's not as bad as the Auschwitz I had formed in my head too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

nope, no shoe selling for me. Can't really go into detail but it's in the public sector, and knew going in that there would be nothing at the end of my internship.

I do hear ya though, seriously I read Vicktor Frankl's account of life in a concentration camp in preparation, following most of the discussion and revelations about job bridge that I had come across I felt it was necessary, so I'm pleasantly surprised that it's not as bad as the Auschwitz I had formed in my head too.
    em...did you just Godwin....

anyway, yes a good internship in a real environment with real skills building...is fab.

but that's the tiny minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Things got better since last couple of weeks?
    some attitude lads, woeful.

I started work on a scambridge last week, its been delightful. I've been pretty much put on post duty and I spend eight hours a day folding letters and putting them in envelopes. I'm supposed to be training for a role which I've spent the previous year studying for, but they no has password for me yet so by Wednesday I was starting to give less shíts and spent most of my not folding paper time on my fone or eating sweets just to keep myself occupied. Its a placement in the public sector so I thought I'd have plenty to keep me busy while getting some great experience and learning new things but by Friday I was practically horizontal at my desk eating hula hoops. I managed to tell a senior staff member who passed a sarcastic comment about how lovely my job is, that she too could also be this lucky for just fifty euros a week. I feel like I have the right attitude though, I'm definitely going places me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

em...did you just Godwin....

anyway, yes a good internship in a real environment with real skills building...is fab.

but that's the tiny minority.

Would a snapshot of the most recent ads be a fair way to assess this. Have a look and tell me how many of those 85 positions satisfy the criteria to be included in your tiny minority. I would translate tiny to mean less than 5% so you should only be able to find about 4.

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

gozunda wrote: »

I take it he is working in a Council from the second quote, basically that is all you do, I have been mentoring interns for the last 2 years and none have came out with any new skills as it is all basic clerical work and in between that surfing the web, but you do get put on some good courses to make up numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Good man.

sigh.

If you don't want to do an internship in a particular company then don't apply for it.

Is that really that hard to understand?

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »

yep, I updated on that thread the following monday.

Thought I'd give a quick update on the progression of my work attitude. I'm wondering did someone in The Org have a read of this because yesterday (Monday) I got redeployed to another department, where I'm actively working on stuff. It's fairly intense but I suspect my experience in the post department was a learning curve much like the wax on wax off one portrayed in the movie. I somehow have managed to unconsciously absorb all the names of all the department heads and the areas that they cover while sorting their mail, and I've discovered that's a very useful ninja skill to have now that I'm working with them. There's little time for hula hoop eating here and the coffee sucks balls.

(also, I'm up this late because I've an assignment due Friday and I'm in work for 8.30, no sleep for me :()
    Xenji wrote: »
    I take it he is working in a Council from the second quote, basically that is all you do, I have been mentoring interns for the last 2 years and none have came out with any new skills as it is all basic clerical work and in between that surfing the web, but you do get put on some good courses to make up numbers.
    I'm working in the health sector.

yep, I updated on that thread the following monday.

I'm working in the health sector.

I remember about 8 years ago doing a summer scheme in the local hospital, was earning about €400 a week before tax, I bet I was doing the same work or similar to what you are doing and they get you for free, crazy how times change.

I remember about 8 years ago doing a summer scheme in the local hospital, was earning about €400 a week before tax, I bet I was doing the same work or similar to what you are doing and they get you for free, crazy how times change.

What were you doing?
    I've a qualification in social care and I've spent the last ten months doing an intensive course for which I'm using my internship as my work placement. I'm not here for the money.

What were you doing?
    I've a qualification in social care and I've spent the last ten months doing an intensive medical course which I'm using my internship as placement. I'm not here for the money.

I was in the radiology department, I had just finished my leaving cert and was using it to save money for college, it was mainly clerical work and computing, doubt anybody 18/19 would end up with something like that these days, think I made about €4200 in 3 months.

I was in the radiology department, I had just finished my leaving cert and was using it to save money for college, it was mainly clerical work and computing, doubt anybody 18/19 would end up with something like that these days, think I made about €4200 in 3 months.
    I'm in the oncology department. I'm getting my fill out of job satisfaction, which seems to be worth more to me. I'm working with an amazing bunch of people, I feel honoured to be working with them. Different strokes.

just wanted to shout that out again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 upfrontwithit

Job bridge and low wages are here to stay. Anyone can do your job cheaper than you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I've offered a job out on Jobbridge! got an application - should i be embarassed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

buck65 wrote: »
    I've offered a job out on Jobbridge! got an application - should i be embarassed?

depends, will the 'valuable experience' be in 'handling toilet cleaning products' or something actually beneficial to the applicants future career?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Not if its offering some good training of some kind which could be useful for future employment and with a chance of paid full time after 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

This is the thread that just will not die!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

What is the job for?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Former stationery company I drove for 6 years for them and I was made redundant as times were hard. Now the owners son works there doing my job and he is using jobs bridge to supplement the wages he is giving his 20 year old son. Btw I am 31 and have 2 kids under 5. I hate this country and I hate jobsbridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Im just recently found out jobbridge is and I'm still in awe. What is €50 extra going to do when you have to travel to get to the job. Ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

I remember from day one of this internship scheme (I think was it summer of 2011?) I hated the idea of this. I wasn't even unemployed and on the dole so it wouldn't effect me as such. I still hated it though.

I agree with principle behind it helping those whose who studied and those with new qualifications gain experience in their field of studies. Many courses like with fas, plc colleges and IT's are practical based with block release experience involved as part of their studies. IMO professions around these should be excluded from the internship scheme and IMO the internship scheme is more suited for courses that are more theory based.

The internship scheme is being exploited no end with low paying jobs being replaced as internships.

I heard of a new scheme this week called JobsPath.What the hell is that all about? I think it's giving private companies free labour of the dole. Is that true? Can someone fill me in?

I remember from day one of this internship scheme (I think was it summer of 2011?) I hated the idea of this. I wasn't even unemployed and on the dole so it wouldn't effect me as such. I still hated it though.

I agree with principle behind it helping those whose who studied and those with new qualifications gain experience in their field of studies. Many courses like with fas, plc colleges and IT's are practical based with block release experience involved as part of their studies. IMO professions around these should be excluded from the internship scheme and IMO the internship scheme is more suited for courses that are more theory based.

The internship scheme is being exploited no end with low paying jobs being replaced as internships.

I heard of a new scheme this week called JobsPath.What the hell is that all about? I think it's giving private companies free labour of the dole. Is that true? Can someone fill me in?

Here are the most recent 300 placements being advertised. Please tell me how many of those are exploiting the scheme "no end"?

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=sjDArutve/3w53BLzNXooesjqRrGoX95L6zX310XQ+ZkPrjRXZfgnq9aCED/CBaEB7/EYciwt/RC+LOlNxs8UD9LAjj7M2Lo3u/cRXi0yliyP7RK7hJYFN5Gsp8+RANXSYBeOqEYtCqemWWEJdAziz9+vtGCYaMQMuy5jzXVd0sfV26ZiZV1AtDLuiMMZ4YdvvqI0PRMQpyMQ//ulCkhW+l4iceCn7/nTqJSqGeecF0WlrhRwEk5eHgVEeU55JZ3FjlbfsY6x8Zr8mG5jXdwAq4ciytM00z1ozmuvCrC6AlDERc1/IhNXmPFQtPl5ya2CldENQJlbk+Uzqd7NL6es1Vlm8iAv1ZYTpNiFYZMVmfCUke9XADAB9RQEUZ46y92

People can choose to apply for what they like, nobody is forcing them to go for particular placements.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The schools and businesses seeking caretakers, classroom assistants and lorry driver are clearly exploiting the scheme.
    No matter how you try to dress it up there is clearly exploitation going on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭gavinhenson

wheres the scandal?
    1.you get out of the house
    2.get to meet new people
    3.see what its like to earn your money instead of staying in bed till 12 every day

Couldn't agree more. Too many lazy, down-and-outs want everything handed to them. There is a real mentality of entitlement among the youth of today, and it physically disgusts me.

• Advertisement

The schools and businesses seeking caretakers, classroom assistants and lorry driver are clearly exploiting the scheme.
    No matter how you try to dress it up there is clearly exploitation going on.

If you were drafting legislation setting up Jobbridge could you come up with a list of jobs which were excluded? Would that not lead to employers being able to bring legal action on the basis that they were being discriminated against?

I can't see anything wrong with any employer listing a position and if nobody wants it nobody applies. There is plenty of evidence that that is happening if you look at how long some of the ads have been up (months).

Advertisement