Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I see there are three Car Valet ads for the whole country. There are probaby a lot more for architects and the like. You're one is brand new, the other two are a bit older. These type of placements tend to go unfilled as far as I can see, people voting with their feet.

But as I asked before would someone (yourself) be able to make up a list of what sorts of employers are allowed to look for Jobridge and what employes should be barred. A list that everyone can agree on and would not put the scheme at risk of being sued by those who you would exclude. Car valet, shop assistant bad, architect, accountant good?

Nobody is being forced to take up car valeting but it might suit someone who lives nearby and wants to get an extra €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

eamonnq wrote: »
    Are they trying to avoid their name being shown on the page ( Airport Motor Holdings Limited) even though it says paddyshanahancars in the email address ?

For some reason companies like to hide the fact they use the scheme instead of highlighting all the great things the intern got from it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

Intern on the perfume counter in McCabes pharmacy in Blanch Centre.

This is not an internship. This is deferred job displacement.

Ref. INTE-877939

The candidate will not receive any marketable skills. This internship puts the other pharmacies and dedicated perfumeries in the Blanchardstown Centre at a cost disadvantage and they will have no option but to advertise full-time positions as internships too. I note that the internship is being advertised in September so that they'll have this victim up and productive in good time for xmas and when demand drops after January whose hours do you think they'll be cutting back on? The intern's or the full time working staff.

Government are promoting a race to a bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I see there are three Car Valet ads for the whole country. There are probaby a lot more for architects and the like. You're one is brand new, the other two are a bit older. These type of placements tend to go unfilled as far as I can see, people voting with their feet.

But as I asked before would someone (yourself) be able to make up a list of what sorts of employers are allowed to look for Jobridge and what employes should be barred. A list that everyone can agree on and would not put the scheme at risk of being sued by those who you would exclude. Car valet, shop assistant bad, architect, accountant good?

Nobody is being forced to take up car valeting but it might suit someone who lives nearby and wants to get an extra €50.

They don't require 9 months of training is the problem.
    Besides, let's face it, if a jobbridge is advertising as "no experience needed", why can't they just advertise a job?

It's simple: if your position requires no experience and can be trained up to within a month or so, it's not an internship.

And no, it wouldn't "suit someone". It shouldn't suitable for anyone. Certain skills are more valued than others. If you honestly think learning how to be a valet/working a shop like Centra/go door to door advertising, etc is something that takes nine months of "learning"
    The aim of the National Internship Scheme is to assist in breaking the cycle where jobseekers are unable to get a job without experience, either as new entrants to the labour market after education or training or as unemployed workers wishing to learn new skills.
    then I'm curious why you think any jobs should be advertised at all unless it's "requires at least 9 months experience in a equiavlent role)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Waitress/Waiter huh?
    What chance does anyone have getting a job in this country. So few paying jobs and as time goes by more and more companies will realise that they can just use internships for free labor.

Only way forward seems to be creating your own company (if you can) and abuse jobsbridge yourself. Terrible isn't it... almost like if you can't beat them, join them. Pssh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I think that is the place that supplies a load of them mobile shops that call to workplaces in the area as well, I won't be buying anything off them anymore now either!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I have often thought that some of these companies are giving the intern a few bob on the sly. While the cynic (or realist?) in me thinks only a VERY small amount would ever do that, you know yourself, but I am actually now thinking would any at all? ... Kinda feel naive to ever think any would.

Like, take that Waitress/Waiter listing above. It's mosly likely an 8.65 per hour / min-wage job. But lets say the manager or owner is decent and throws the 'intern' a few quid under the table. That would rock the boat with other employees, right?

On one hand you can have someone slaving away for 40 hours a week, paying tax and only making around 310.
    Then you have an intership, who also slaves away for 40 hours but gets 188 from the Social Welfare, an extra 50 for doing the internship and then an extra 50 (for example) from the manager/owner. A total of 288.

One can get a medical card and rent allowance. The other can not. Am sure that wouldn't go down well with employees.

B.A., AFAIK, they DO get a bonus of I think 500 (or 5,000) per person they take on. Though that was just what I heard at the start. I dunno if it's true or not.

I have often thought that some of these companies are giving the intern a few bob on the sly. While the cynic (or realist?) in me thinks only a VERY small amount would ever do that, you know yourself, but I am actually now thinking would any at all? ... Kinda feel naive to ever think any would.

Like, take that Waitress/Waiter listing above. It's mosly likely an 8.65 per hour / min-wage job. But lets say the manager or owner is decent and throws the 'intern' a few quid under the table. That would rock the boat with other employees, right?

On one hand you can have someone slaving away for 40 hours a week, paying tax and only making around 310.
    Then you have an intership, who also slaves away for 40 hours but gets 188 from the Social Welfare, an extra 50 for doing the internship and then an extra 50 (for example) from the manager/owner. A total of 288.

One can get a medical card and rent allowance. The other can not. Am sure that wouldn't go down well with employees.

I know someone who was put on an internship as part of the FAS course they were doing and the guy who owned the place gave him 30 euro a week out of his own pocket. When you first hear it you think, "that was nice of him" but then you learn that the internship was in a huge B&B that catered to students going to one of those study colleges during the week and to stag and hen parties at the weekend. The intern was expected to work from 8pm till 10am 5-6 night a week and was expected to tidy up after everyone at night time, have food ready in the morning for those that wanted it and then go and make all the beds. The guy who owned the place let go of the two members of staff he had for nights and got the intern in and in order to keep the intern on their toes would ring up every two hours or so to ensure that there was no sleeping on the job.

B.A., AFAIK, they DO get a bonus of I think 500 (or 5,000) per person they take on. Though that was just what I heard at the start. I dunno if it's true or not.

I think this is the scheme you're thinking of. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/employment_support_schemes/jobsplus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Yep, Jobbridge and Jobsplus are designed to work together, a person is on jobbridge for 9 months and then the employer receives a financial incentive from jobsplus to take the person on.

Why do people keep complaining about shít positions on jobbridge? If you don't want to intern as a car washer then don't apply for an internship as a car washer, problem solved.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Why do people keep complaining about shít positions on jobbridge? If you don't want to intern as a car washer then don't apply for an internship as a car washer, problem solved.

And what of all those who are being forced to take one on or have their benefits cut.

It's also important to remember that a lot of people get angry over some of these placements as they really should be paying jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

I'd say it's more some people don't mind being a car washer but being paid to do so.

I don't have problems with internships but do have issues if they're displacing actual jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

probably because some of the "internships" are not that, they are jobs that teh company wants someone to do for free. look at tesco they put an internship up for a shelf packer. do you seriously think the intern is going to stand there and watch how a shelf is packed and then have someone mentor them on it? no, they are there to pack shelves. the same could probably be said for teh car valet company. in essence its slave labour

No it was years ago; well, around the time it first came out. Maybe I'm getting it mixed up with the work placement program.

Because it's not a bloody internship.
    Look, I get that there are skills to be learned when it comes to washing cars. But to believe you need nine months of training to become skilled in it to get a position in a car wash is insane.

• Advertisement

I know someone who was put on an internship as part of the FAS course they were doing and the guy who owned the place gave him 30 euro a week out of his own pocket. When you first hear it you think, "that was nice of him" but then you learn that the internship was in a huge B&B that catered to students going to one of those study colleges during the week and to stag and hen parties at the weekend. The intern was expected to work from 8pm till 10am 5-6 night a week and was expected to tidy up after everyone at night time, have food ready in the morning for those that wanted it and then go and make all the beds. The guy who owned the place let go of the two members of staff he had for nights and got the intern in and in order to keep the intern on their toes would ring up every two hours or so to ensure that there was no sleeping on the job.

That's 84 hours a week. I am constantly amazed at the level of knowledge some people have about other people's lives. I never even met someone who is or was on Jobbridge at least to my knowledge

You should do the decent thing and report this abuse. If your friend is too stupid to do it himself. There are a lot of Jobbridge rules being broken there. Should be max 39 hours, no cash in hand allowed, intern not supposed to replace workers let go. Probably other general laws to do with employment as well.

And what of all those who are being forced to take one on or have their benefits cut.

If you're going to go that route, could we not also say that were you so unskilled that the only internship that you could possibly qualify for is washing cars, that it's time to go back to education/training?

If you can't get considered for anything but the worst of the worst in jobsbridge, isn't it time to reevaluate your own skills? What chance will that person ever have of gaining paid employment where they can add economic value to a company/organisation?

I think people need to start looking at themselves, rather than the outside world/government/employers as being the problem when it comes to getting a job. We have to shape ourselves to fit the employment market, it's not going to start bending to fit you.

It's also important to remember that a lot of people get angry over some of these placements as they really should be paying jobs.
    They have to take a placement, they don't have to wash cars if they don't want to. It's just pointless complaining about something like washing cars being an internship, just skip over it and apply for something else.
    Daith wrote: »
    I'd say it's more some people don't mind being a car washer but being paid to do so.

I don't have problems with internships but do have issues if they're displacing actual jobs.
    Well that's fine but if they don't want to intern as a car washer then just skip over it and apply for something else.
    Faolchu wrote: »
    probably because some of the "internships" are not that, they are jobs that teh company wants someone to do for free. look at tesco they put an internship up for a shelf packer. do you seriously think the intern is going to stand there and watch how a shelf is packed and then have someone mentor them on it? no, they are there to pack shelves. the same could probably be said for teh car valet company. in essence its slave labour
    But why complain about it, just don't apply apply for the shelf packing internship and apply for something else.
    Because it's not a bloody internship.
    Look, I get that there are skills to be learned when it comes to washing cars. But to believe you need nine months of training to become skilled in it to get a position in a car wash is insane.
    So what? If you're not interested in washing cars then the placement is irrelevent to you, just pick something else. Why complain about something you're not interested in doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    If you're going to go that route, could we not also say that were you so unskilled that the only internship that you could possibly qualify for is washing cars, that it's time to go back to education/training?

If you can't get considered for anything but the worst of the worst in jobsbridge, isn't it time to reevaluate your own skills? What chance will that person ever have of gaining paid employment where they can add economic value to a company/organisation?

I think people need to start looking at themselves, rather than the outside world/government/employers as being the problem when it comes to getting a job. We have to shape ourselves to fit the employment market, it's not going to start bending to fit you.

The point of an internship is because you are unskilled. If you were skilled at the job you wouldn't be doing one.

The point of an internship is because you are unskilled. If you were skilled at the job you wouldn't be doing one.

But isn't the point being made that people are being forced into shelf packing and car washing internships? They certainly aren't the only internships on offer.

Also, you don't do an internship because you are unskilled, you do an internship because you are inexperienced.

So what? If you're not interested in washing cars then the placement is irrelevent to you, just pick something else. Why complain about something you're not interested in doing?

You are missing the entire point. It is not something you require nine months for.
    It's same with the waiter jobs or a cleaning job. it's not important if I want to do it or not. It's important that it's not something you need to train for nine months for.

I'm unskilled at car valeting. I know nothing whatsoever about it. Maybe you are an expert. But if I was on the dole there are no car valeting placements on Jobbridge anywhere near me. In fact there are only three available, all in Dublin.

I would look for something local firstly and if there was nothing I liked I would just have to wait for something to appear. I would need to be very unlucky to be forced to take up a placement with only ever less than 3,000 available and 190,000 people on the Live Register for a year or more. They are getting away with it so I probably would as well.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »

They have to take a placement, they don't have to wash cars if they don't want to. It's just pointless complaining about something like washing cars being an internship, just skip over it and apply for something else.

But if someone in the DSP tells you that this is the internship you are doing you don't have very many options. I've heard of people getting called for internships that they never applied for but someone in the DSP felt they should be doing it.

Saying that people need to look at themselves is all well and good but till there is enough jobs out there for those that want to and are seeking work it's not much good. I believe that the number of unemployed to each job advertised is something like 27:1. The problem isn't that people don't want to work it's that there's not enough jobs out there and many of these internships are just doing more damage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I posted up about six months ago that I got myself an jobridge internship as a front-end web developer/graphic designer.

I had no experience. Had completed a four month course in digital web design in FAS and was just after starting a 6 month part-time night course in web development in NCI.

Just under a month left and I'm glad to report the experience has been great and the company offered me a position full-time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

An internship as a FUCKING CAR WASHER?!

I'd say that's the third dumbest thing you've ever said when you include your ignorance of how the Internet works.

Advertisement