Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

Daenarys wrote: »
    I know that is what is supposed to happen but I was asking if anyone had actually reported a company and what actually happened?

Did Jobbridge acknowledge the complaint or just ignore it?

I ask because I genuinely don't think anyone is dealing with complaints with the amount of internships that are approved to go on the live site despite being in breach of agreement.

For example, I just know of one case where they interviewed in a city council and were told that out of hours work would be part of it, finishing no later than 10pm and working every second Saturday (on top of the 5 day/40hour week). Apparently this wasn't the first time this internship had been advertised either. So either nobody reports or else Jobbridge ignore the reports............

They acknowledge the complaint anyway. I know of one shop that was reported and the next position they advertised was a proper job. I do believe they took on an intern and kept her on full time too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

They have a standard reply which is known in-house as the standard reply for low skilled internships.

Here is the chatter amongst themselves which they forwarded on to me with the standard reply when I mailed them complaining about the sandwich artist job in Subway which has only a 5 day training period according to the internal subway training manual.

If you want the standard reply then just mail jobbridge@welfare.ie complaining about any particular vacancy and they'll send you out the standard reply.

Without going all Goodwin on it, they have normalised the exploitation of young new workers in the way the Nazis normalised the mass murder of poor unfortunate jews and exploitation of eastern-european prisoners and political prisoners. These people in the civil service appear to have no moral compass which would prevent them from implementing the will of which ever despot currently holds power in Ireland.
    Look at the FG/Lab programme for government and all you'll see are commitments to get the jobless back to work, nowhere was this twisted jobbridge scheme every mentioned in the PfG.

Official Ireland is rotten to the core. Every arm of government needs to be ripped down and rebuilt with the civil servants who effect the Regime's policies removed from office.

"
    To:
    XXXX.XXXXX <XXXX.XXXX@welfare.ie>
    Subject:
    RE: Subway Sandwiches Internship abuse.

XXXX,

Welcome back!

We got a query re same as well and we replied with the reply we normally would for low skilled internships (attached). YYYYYYY helped to draft the latest one.

The vacancy INTE-883655 is still live and no one has been selected yet.

Kind Regards,
    ZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZ
    JobBridge Policy Unit
    Goldsmith House
    Pearse Street, Dublin 2
    Ext. 42361"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I don't know how it operates in other organisations/companies but job Bridge have been on contact with me personally twice since I started my internship just to make sure everything is in order and there is a scheduled meeting due to take place later this month with a job bridge representative between the three interns and our mentors. I imagine they would have to do this with all their interns/placements?

pharmaton wrote: »
    I don't know how it operates in other organisations/companies but job Bridge have been on contact with me personally twice since I started my internship just to make sure everything is in order and there is a scheduled meeting due to take place later this month with a job bridge representative between the three interns and our mentors. I imagine they would have to do this with all their interns/placements?

They're supposed to, but they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

That has never happened with any interns we have had in my department, a member of Solas comes in about a week before they finish, ask how they got on and then give them a information pack and that is all the contact, they are usually very snarky as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Xenji wrote: »
    That has never happened with any interns we have had in my department, a member of Solas comes in about a week before they finish, ask how they got on and then give them a information pack and that is all the contact, they are usually very snarky as well.
    I'm only half way through my placement, don't know how far along the other interns are but I expect it will be something similar to an information day. I asked the boss if everything was ok and she said yeah, they are just making sure we're not working ye to death or anything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

No not all, firms that get a visit before internships are finished are hand picked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

RTE Report wrote:
    Three out of five people who have taken part in the Government's JobBridge scheme have secured full-time employment, with the Government claiming the internship scheme has been a success.

The figures are based on an evaluation by consultants INDECON Economic, which show that 61% of interns progress to paid employment.

The evaluation report also found that 96% of host organisations would recommend JobBridge to another employer and 89% of interns stated that JobBridge had given them new skills.

So 61% of all interns who participated on Jobsbridge have gone on to full-time employment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Augmerson wrote: »
    So 61% of all interns who participated on Jobsbridge have gone on to full-time employment?

That report is from 18 months ago,

I wonder what the success rate is now after all the Subway jobs and Shelf stacking jobs got crammed into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I heard a report on Radio 1 which was very different but I can't find it anywhere online now. It was fairly recent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Thats after 12 months or something too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

nibble wrote: »
    You have to work three days or less per week. It doesn't matter how many hours this equates to, you claim on days not worked. So for example if you worked four days per week but only 4 hours on each of those days you couldn't claim any JBA/JBB but if you worked 3 hours at 8 hrs per day you could claim for the remaining two days of the "working week". A ridiculous system to be honest.

I'm open to correction on that but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

You are correct somebody could work 10 hours for 3 days and still get social welfare.

Yet somebody who is offered 30 hours over 4 days will get no social welfare and be much worse off.

From what i have seen some of the bosses in retail are not too bad. Even if they work 4 or 5 days they put the hours through the books that the employee worked the hours over 3 days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Hey guys - take my advice and get out of Oireland. Make a new life somewhere else ;
    somewhere where you will be appreciated.

Oireland is ... and always has been ... run by a bunch Of Fooookin Clowns.
    And, I can't ever see that changing in our lifetime.

Look what they try to do now - they try to bribe people to sign up for the water charges.
    And once they got ya - they will eventually move the goalpost - and, you might as well
    bend over already - cos you gonna get screwed anyway.

So ... grow a set ... and get out of the Fooookin kip.
    Servicing those Bank Debts - as Debt slaves - is not your role or problem in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

BBJBIG wrote: »
    Hey guys - take my advice and get out of Oireland. Make a new life somewhere else ;

Look what they try to do now - they try to bribe people to sign up for the water charges.
    And once they got ya - they will eventually move the goalpost - and, you might as well

Servicing those Bank Debts - as Debt slaves - is not your role or problem in life.

Whatever country you end up in, you'll be servicing someones debt

Sorry you feel like that. Ireland is still the best place in the World to live and the ONLY place I wish to be. We've come a long way and if we stick together, we'll come through this stronger than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Cool story bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Shocking stuff from AIM Group. They posted 11 days ago about needed a graphic designer to work 6 hours a week either from home or on site. Here is the job advertisement.

Graphic Designer - part time
    AIM Group - Dublin West, County Dublin
    Experienced Graphic Designer required for the print and graphic design of various projects for a rapidly expanding Retail & Wholesale Group. Duties will include the design and development of promotional materials for campaigns, marketing and advertising, POS and branding. This position could be done on or off site (depending on the candidate having the correct web design programmes) and will be approx half a day per week. Skills Requirement: Organised, motivated person who can use their own initiative and complete jobs to strict deadlines with little direction. Experience with commercial Social Media and or Web Design also a bonus.

Salary: €Neg DOE Number of Positions 1

Contract Type Other

Days, Hours & Start Date Days per week: 1
    Hours per day: 6
    Hours per week: 6
    Start Date: ASAP

Experience Required: Fully Experienced
    Min. Experience: 2 Years

Education Requirements: Third Level - Qualification in Graphic Design essential and qualification in Marketing would be advantageous.

After I applied this is what I received:

Hi Dean,

Thanks for your letter.
    Would you be interested come to chat with
    again for the position of The Graphic Design under Internship Scheme?
    I can arrange you an interview for Thursday at 11.

What I replied:

No thanks.

The job was advertised for being 6 hours a week but now your going to make someone work 40 hours a week out in Walkinstown for an extra 50 on their social welfare.

Jobbridge really is getting taken advantage off I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt your finances too much to pay someone for 6 hours work a week that you have to abuse a scheme to get free labor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Burkie7 wrote: »
    Shocking stuff from AIM Group. They posted 11 days ago about needed a graphic designer to work 6 hours a week either from home or on site. Here is the job advertisement.

Experienced Graphic Designer required for the print and graphic design of various projects for a rapidly expanding Retail & Wholesale Group. Duties will include the design and development of promotional materials for campaigns, marketing and advertising, POS and branding. This position could be done on or off site (depending on the candidate having the correct web design programmes) and will be approx half a day per week. Skills Requirement: Organised, motivated person who can use their own initiative and complete jobs to strict deadlines with little direction. Experience with commercial Social Media and or Web Design also a bonus.

Contract Type Other

Education Requirements: Third Level - Qualification in Graphic Design essential and qualification in Marketing would be advantageous.

Hi Dean,

Thanks for your letter.

What I replied:

No thanks.

The job was advertised for being 6 hours a week but now your going to make someone work 40 hours a week out in Walkinstown for an extra 50 on their social welfare.

Jobbridge really is getting taken advantage off I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt your finances too much to pay someone for 6 hours work a week that you have to abuse a scheme to get free labor.

You should report this and copy in Joan.
    Make sure to send in supporting documents. Hopefully they'll be barred from the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Contract Type Other

Hi Dean,

Thanks for your letter.

What I replied:

No thanks.

So edgy bro. Does the social know you're turning down interviews?

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

I actually had a meeting with them last week and told them that JobBridge isn't something on the top of my list after reading this and having done a few weeks on one which turned out to be a waste of time and they understood and just said if you find one you think will benefit you then give it a go.

Obviously this is not something that will benefit me, a 6 hour job turned into 40 for the sake of free labor that is an hour and a half away from my house to and back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Contract Type Other

Hi Dean,

Thanks for your letter.

What I replied:

No thanks.

The job was advertised for being 6 hours a week but now your you're going to make someone work 40 hours a week out in Walkinstown for an extra 50 on their social welfare.

Jobbridge really is getting taken advantage off of I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt your finances too much to pay someone for 6 hours work a week that you have to abuse a scheme to get free labor.

A graphic designer, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

Of course, overlook the fact that what could have been an actual job has been turned into a bull**** internship. Those plebs have to keep taking it up the arse from our glorious wealthy masters, don't you know?

mikom wrote: »
    A graphic designer, eh?

Thanks for your input.

Of course, overlook the fact that what could have been an actual job has been turned into a bull**** internship. Those plebs have to keep taking it up the arse from our glorious wealthy masters, don't you know?

I don't know why I even bothered. Just thought I would show how people are abusing the scheme and I get insulted twice.

I told them that I would be putting it on this thread so maybe it's people who work for them who knows.

Anyway I told my case officer today about it and I'm going to report it later also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Contract Type Other

Hi Dean,

Thanks for your letter.

What I replied:

No thanks.

Not the Only one- They are looking for a in house solicitor on Job Bridge too

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=47LiU6NpPUVeTQaWbtdxcOpekcZ4jjn43XLilaPHThMah+Wcnuleep/Asm16X1Iuj5+1JvnJfLTLcijWdOc4gCd53r0gX5htzLT5jk9KwPEJx0IlaWaokk0SI7ZdPGwjOJqm8xrIQ7oGhL0guCYQBnafO664PyAQIGJQQcEYpI9e+wMDBWRC/1sFk4PJPAguAD+Crtbo3cGN2TIyaGksCEXbDkRcWMvyRbz0/l4JhcXEyuVnMqr+ZD+dIG/dVdwiqabMV3E4xa0ARa2BQVfT/LKmzIFvTj2JmIUsf8LWTa/eoGBDz4d2+3IzcH9n4epm5fV2Zi5/bSR2BqfJFKkF5wJcvTzk8mQ3YBfs2X7eBGnWUZLtpR6zqhcRmbajAFGBHcSkzMysmUmfX3kkREugHZssBJNM2gNSfyTFJjQubPGY12/sEEKaSvgbWcJPIJ29aDRQVh+1qp7u+lsJrvL2IWyLLYJrY/5d

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Here is a link to the Report
    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.welfare.ie%2Fen%2Fdownloads%2FJobBridge%2FIndecon-Report.pdf&ei=6DuIVOiHMIL2UrT9gdAL&usg=AFQjCNG3UVhwD9H8LZTq_7qMY7sDTxZKUg&sig2=epHBFuvmcTCCSd6k-boBFg&bvm=bv.81456516,d.d24
    Summary of Activity Levels on Scheme
    Measure
    Number
    No. of Internships Commenced*
    No. of Internships Finished**

No. of Internships on Placement***
    No. of Host Organisations
    Summary of Status of Interns upon Finishing Placements
    Status
    % of Internship Finishers
    Employed with Host Organisation
    19.5%

Employed in Another Organisation
    16.8%
    Total in Employment Immediately on Internship Finishing
    36.3%
    Pursuing Further Education, Training
    4.5%
    Returned to Job Search
    15.1%
    Emigrated
    1.8%
    Other Reasons
    30.8%
    Unknown/Other
    11.5%

As to the 61% figure
    The table below presents further data from Indecon’s survey of JobBridge interns on how progression outcomes vary by time since internship completion. While the figures on percentages in employment for those who finished their internships less than one month ago are similar to those from the Department of Social Protection’s JobBridge database, the results show that after a short period of time employment rates among scheme participants have increased, with an employment rate of 61.4% evident among participants who completed over five months previously. It should also be noted that the numbers relate only to those who had finished their JobBridge placement and exclude those currently on a JobBridge internship at the time of our survey.

So of the 12,000 internships they discounted the 5,000 that didn't finish and those that they kept on the longer job-bridge scheme

the percentage employed with the host organisation is 19.5% of those that finished 7,058 or 1,376.31 (Although I have no idea how this could be a fraction. It must have been rounded up so 1,376 persons out of 12,560 is 10.9% of persons were kept on by the job-bridge employer. 89% were told, cheers for the free labour now f off.

A terrible number

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Well, I think we may have found the world's most ideal internship.
    And the absolute best part is that you don't need a driver's licence; it's just preferred.

I give you, ladies and gentlemen: COFFEE CART OPERATOR

Think about it.
    Based in COOLOCK - DUBLIN 17 Ref. INTE-900013
    Description
    The intern will gain practical experience in working as a Coffee Cart Operator The candidate will be working with a small team in not for profit organisations. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following - how to serve coffee and other refreshments and develop sales techniques. The intern will gain the skills also in internal controls and cash management. On completion the intern will have attained skills in customer service sales and cash management.

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1zaMUPiFEeNrNWjviinu490thmC2C0u+DAcLY5wPDjzMosGURrBxoyjL6etBQdwVbR986Qcyv7rBuhvD2L/oEtqiSCcHuI9O6eVBc+ohTOFF7qoNmr8gBmk2evmfJ99dta9bYEwT6unPYZG/YgfxLFAH+7cNpBu45kcJhrauG+CgQIx/Ng6tsjsbCd2AiayReM/ib17pkt7MVvYe689vUWf7R8D4e589fr9xVKSDs1JkjkZf6xEQLiDU70WN61OZtrBTGCWNkrVxIX6ICqFVwHsTbaBjAOFL9mIxSwtVTI8Q/LRm5uLxfuP/4BPcUn9RuckYyGkdrRRx4X/qQungu/0afM1UKeCb8MtrRj3l/hN7fdXIjvOMd8xK+YmPhgfzHRP2lTCUZ0vOabhNdh8NdxZvENQ6FXNswh+6m6/2WWpeBCZ1wiVmiZfKjmQciKVz9tko6FdknR38O0NJ4+jXVJQ=

Oh you'll be working for a voluntary organization which might not sound as bad if it were a CE scheme.
    But here's their description on their website: X is all about creating jobs for people with disabilities. Using a new 'Social Enterprise' model, we are developing self sustaining enterprises that create jobs for people with various disabilities in truly inclusive work settings.

Our innovative approach of developing teams of people with different disabilities means that we focus on peoples abilities, rather than their disabilities.

I took out the name since it might be against the rules. I'm not sure.
    But think about it. They're creating jobs. You can learn to operate a coffee cart for nine months.
    I'll be sure to put that on a CV: took nine months to learn to make coffee and to sell coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭guest2014

how do you report jobs on jobbridge that should not be there?

Advertisement