Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I was self employed for a few years and took two of these interns on!

First one was brilliant, I was training her and all was grand, guaranteed a job at the end of it!

If she was that good why didn't you just give her the job when she proved how good she was instead of waiting till the end of the internship?

To me you were exploiting this girl, you could have given her the job at any time but you were looking to as much out of her for free as you could.

This is sickening trait I think of a lot of Irish people, we always seem to be looking to see how much we can rip someone off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The poster said they were getting training and qualifications. That is a more positive thing for the individual concerned than sitting at home on the dole

In what context? If you're interning in something like accountancy or law or a highly-skilled trade then that's something else, and even then in a traditional industrial context, apprentices still got paid something in recompense for the labour they were providing.

The poster said "they were guaranteed a job" at the end of it, which would lead me to believe they did in fact have the ability to pay a wage. If a person is going to be hired and trained and is working for a business full-time then they should be paid the minimum wage at least. Moaning that your staff are "lazy" and "disinterested" when you're paying them nothing for a full-time job is silliness in the extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Floppybits wrote: »
    This is sickening trait I think of a lot of Irish people, we always seem to be looking to see how much we can rip someone off.

Because as I explained earlier I couldn't afford her wages! By the time the internship should have ended she would have built up her own clients so her wages would be available!

I wasn't ripping off! I simply could not afford to pay someone along with rent, ESB, phone, stock, water rates, council rates, my own tax and so on!

I wasn't getting a wage from the business, I thought this could be a way of building more business. I was wrong, simple as!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Because as I explained earlier I couldn't afford her wages! By the time the internship should have ended she would have built up her own clients so her wages would be available!

I wasn't ripping off! I simply could not afford to pay someone along with rent, ESB, phone, stock, water rates, council rates, my own tax and so on!

I wasn't getting a wage from the business, I thought this could be a way of building more business. I was wrong, simple as!
    Did you have any other employees who were training her as well? If not she could have seen it as you using her as free labour to build up your business which could have lead to resentment and her bad attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

What I find most disturbing are the government department jobs I find on jobbridge. I know what people get paid in some of the departments. I can't believe this is ignored. The same department has had five jobbridge workers through its doors so far. None of these individuals has been given a job there either. Disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

cloudatlas wrote: »
    What I find most disturbing are the government department jobs I find on jobbridge. I know what people get paid in some of the departments. I can't believe this is ignored. The same department has had five jobbridge workers through its doors so far. None of these individuals has been given a job there either. Disgraceful.

They have over 30 people on Jobbridge in the County Council I work in, and they do not keep anyone on, they just re-advertise the positions under different names when the person leaves and do not have to wait the 3 months due to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Andy454 wrote: »
    there's nothing more soul destroying that working for free.

A person working a 40 hour week and coming home with 50 euro more that he'd get on the dole is scandalous.

Companies that engage in this practice should be named and shamed.

A FAIR DAY'S WAGE FOR A FAIR DAY'S WORK!!!!
    There are lots pf people who do this, and they have nothing to do with Job Bridge. The fact is the dole is too high which makes getting back to work unappealing to many as the financial gain just isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Xenji wrote: »
    They have over 30 people on Jobbridge in the County Council I work in, and they do not keep anyone on, they just re-advertise the positions under different names when the person leaves and do not have to wait the 3 months due to that.

Rank hypocrisy. Do as we say not as we do.

Quazzie wrote: »
    There are lots pf people who do this, and they have nothing to do with Job Bridge. The fact is the dole is too high which makes getting back to work unappealing to many as the financial gain just isn't there.

The dole is too high when you are working 3 days a week and claiming the other days, was making over 350 euro a week that way, now a person on jobbridge is working 5-6 days and just making 238 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Why are people surprised? It's an exercise in order to lower the unemployment figures and nothing else.

• Advertisement

Rank hypocrisy. Do as we say not as we do.

They cannot hire any staff due to a moratorium on it, they have people working 4 day weeks or job sharing and offer people early retirement, and have loads of inexperienced interns replacing them, they are just trying to breakdown all the councils and get rid of the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The dole is too high when you are working 3 days a week and claiming the other days, was making over 350 euro a week that way, now a person on jobbridge is working 5-6 days and just making 238 euro.
    I know of at least one person who has turned down a 6 month contract because he would be earning less than €50 extra per week for being out of the house for 50 hours. That's not including the fact he'd lose his medical card, and other social welfare benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

Not if they're under 25 as many graudate on jobbridge would be, they will only get €194 a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Sorry to barge in on this thread but I have a question about jobBridge that I couldn't find the answer to on their site and you all seem so knowledgeable;-) Can a person (me) apply for BTEA after they have done a stint on JobBridge if they want to go back to college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Sorry to barge in on this thread but I have a question about jobBridge that I couldn't find the answer to on their site and you all seem so knowledgeable;-) Can a person (me) apply for BTEA after they have done a stint on JobBridge if they want to go back to college?

To get BTEA you have to be on JSA for a certain amount of time. So for a PLC course you need to be on for 3 months. For a college course you would need to be on JSA for 9 months.

The jobbridge doesn't count towards your time being on JSA though so you have to take that into consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I should have explained more but I didn't want to bore everyone with my life story. I'm actually in receipt of BTEA now or expect to be in September but I just found out that my course could be cancelled and maybe run on an every 2nd year basis. I'm just weighing up all my options. I couldn't afford to do the course without BTEA even if I found a full time job for the year my course isn't run and the thought of spending a year on jobseekers allowance isn't appealing.

I should have explained more but I didn't want to bore everyone with my life story. I'm actually in receipt of BTEA now or expect to be in September but I just found out that my course could be cancelled and maybe run on an every 2nd year basis. I'm just weighing up all my options. I couldn't afford to do the course without BTEA even if I found a full time job for the year my course isn't run and the thought of spending a year on jobseekers allowance isn't appealing.

As far a I remember reading, the social welfare look at it like you are in full time employment when you are on a JobBridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Its all a scam depriving people of part time and lower paid jobs - which some people are still willing to do

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

As has already been mentioned , the civil service isn't in a position to hire anyone at the moment. The point is to give people skills and experience they would not get any other way.

I know a guy who did jobbridge with a department, learned some new marketable skills and got great references, and got a job somewhere else straight away off the back of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Not if they're under 25 as many graudate on jobbridge would be, they will only get €194 a week.

And if unlucky enough to be under 22, 150 a week!

Not a nice amount by any standards, especially if you're working hard for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Don't do jobbridge if you need to be on the live register for an amount of time to qualify for a course or anything else. Jobbridge takes you off the live register which in my case, made it so i didn't qualify for fuel allowance which i would have been entitled to if i didn't start the stupid internship, so i was only 30 euro better off for doing 40 hrs a week, basically answering the emails and phone calls that my 'mentor' couldn't be bothered with, in fact doing all of the activities she wanted to avoid because it was boring or time consuming, y'know, the types of things you usually get paid for doing.

After leaving this dismal position I was so bitter and disappointed, there were no jobs around but plenty of internships, so i had stopped looking most days. Then i just got lucky, applied for a temporary job, got hired and its been extended twice and i'm nearly a year employed now. It has nothing to do with jobbridge as i dont have it on my cv. My job is even more boring than the internship, the company is not great to work for, i don't have any guarantee of employment past the end of each temporary contract, the hours are longer and more unsociable and i have little interest in what i'm doing, but i show up every day on time and do my best to do it right. Why? Because I get wages for doing so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Check this out:

5 adverts for forklift drivers appeared on JobBridge – all from the same company – looking for forklift drivers for their depots around the country. This is clearly not an internship because you need to have a forklift licence to apply for it, presumably if you have the licence you have experience driving a forklift. In some places having a forklift licence gets you extra pay, not with these cowboys, it gets you no pay at all.

http://www.scambridge.ie/scam-a-day-it-doesnt-pay-to-be-a-forklift-driver/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

It's a bit ironic complaining about the government giving €50 extra a week on a website of a profitable company that mostly employs free labour, No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

This whole jobbridge thing has to be a joke.

I know a very small business, maybe 3 or 4 people at most works there.

They were looking for a slave this time last year. Their 6 months are up, and rather than keeping them on and paying them, they are back looking for another intern.

I was humming and hawing last year about these internships, after being turned down after a few jobs. It wasnt worth it in the end, moving away, house sharing, paying rent, travel costs, cost of bills increasing. With no guarantee of a job afterwards.

What I really wanted to do was to get paid work and use my savings to set myself up. Move out of home, rent a place by myself and thats expensive starting off with rent deposit and rent upfront. Wouldn't be able for that on a jobbridge without digging into my savings.

Anyway, never got work here. I was humming and hawing about England as its closer to home, after going over for an interview and not getting it, I decided on Australia. I never travelled and want to, so why not. Going in a few weeks on a working holiday visa, and I have work starting the week after I land. I cant believe its that easy to get work, hop on a plane. This will have to be better than jobbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

sligoface wrote: »

After leaving this dismal position I was so bitter and disappointed, there were no jobs around but plenty of internships, so i had stopped looking most days. Then i just got lucky, applied for a temporary job, got hired and its been extended twice and i'm nearly a year employed now. It has nothing to do with jobbridge as i dont have it on my cv. My job is even more boring than the internship, the company is not great to work for, i don't have any guarantee of employment past the end of each temporary contract, the hours are longer and more unsociable and i have little interest in what i'm doing, but i show up every day on time and do my best to do it right. Why? Because I get wages for doing so!

The worst part is that you will be classed as one of the success stories of jobbridge. They will put you down as one of the statistics that found the job after the scam (I mean scheme).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Searching for an administration job... Every one of them is a FCKING JOB BRIDGE!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Coffeeteasugar

Jobbridge Grrrr so pissed off with it now!I'm a human, not a slave,all jobbridge workers should go on strike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Jobbridge Grrrr so pissed off with it now!I'm a human, not a slave,all jobbridge workers should go on strike!

the slaves were human....

Advertisement