Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I'm past the half way Mark of my internship :) six months in , can't believe I made it this far and the best part is I can start counting down the days til Im completed yeah!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

I decided to give this Jobbridge muck a go, despite my inner hatred for the scheme. Applied to one position only because it was with a government department and got an interview (after an age!!)

So anyway in the interview first thing she told me is there would be no job at the end of it and I would be running this project by myself for 9 months(mentoring?!). She seemed really keen and I think I'm going to be offered it.

However it's actually going to cost me a good bit more than the 50euro extra in travel expenses and I'll end up with less money to live on.

I'd like peoples opinions on whether it is worth it to suffer for a few months, so I can add Government Dept experience on the CV?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I suppose it depends on the nature of the role.

But yes, try it for 2 month..... its worth a try.

(On another note, its obscene that the public/civil service are allowed to displace proper paid labour in this way).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I suppose it depends on the nature of the role.

But yes, try it for 2 month..... its worth a try.

(On another note, its obscene that the public/civil service are allowed to displace proper paid labour in this way).
    Why shouldn't the civil service minimize cost like any other organization? I'd find it obscene if they were wasting money needlessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Why shouldn't the civil service minimize cost like any other organization? I'd find it obscene if they were wasting money needlessly.

So paying someone to do a job is "wasting money"? How can you say that the civil service should cut costs and not pay people in this thread and say being on the dole makes people complacent in another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Hiring needed people isnt wasting money. I wonder how much is getting wasted when they're are spending time interviewing, training etc instead of just hiring a person with 1 interview and once they are trained its done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

Daenarys wrote: »
    So anyway in the interview first thing she told me is there would be no job at the end of it and I would be running this project by myself for 9 months(mentoring?!).

I would imagine that this is against the rules, how are you supposed to learn anything if you have to work on your own initiative?? and if you know how to do the job already, then what's the point of the internship?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

What is unique about your job that couldn't be described similarly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

If there's no job at the end of it and you're going to be running the project at the end, it sounds like they just want someone in for free to do the project. I'd report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If there's no job at the end of it and you're going to be running the project at the end, it sounds like they just want someone in for free to do the project. I'd report them.

It is actually a fairly common occurrence in government agencies, we got an event manager in and she ended up designing a whole website for our council only to be asked at the end of it to hand over all the passwords and that a new intern would be maintaining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Wolf Club wrote: »
    So paying someone to do a job is "wasting money"? How can you say that the civil service should cut costs and not pay people in this thread and say being on the dole makes people complacent in another?
    Hiring needed people isnt wasting money. I wonder how much is getting wasted when they're are spending time interviewing, training etc instead of just hiring a person with 1 interview and once they are trained its done.

Paying someone to do a job is wasting money if you can get someone else to do it for free. I would expect the civil service to cut costs wherever possible. After all it's my money they're saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Paying someone to do a job is wasting money if you can get someone else to do it for free. I would expect the civil service to cut costs wherever possible. After all it's my money they're saving.

Im sure your vision of all state employees working for free is a great one but Im going to stick to the one where people get actual paid jobs.

Plus jobbridge is meant to be for training. They are supposed to have a mentor working with them, not make the most profit for the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Xenji wrote: »
    It is actually a fairly common occurrence in government agencies, we got an event manager in and she ended up designing a whole website for our council only to be asked at the end of it to hand over all the passwords and that a new intern would be maintaining it.

Maybe we're misunderstanding each other. I would have no issue if it were a job and not a jobbridge scheme. I know people are hired for projects like that but that's the thing, they're hired. What bothers me most is that from what I read, he was told it was less of a jobridge with mentoring and "here you, do this site for us within nine months".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

It's not really, for someone to be eligible for jobbridge they have to be on the social welfare for 6 months, and will get social welfare for a further 9 months while on the placement, all paid for by the government with your precious tax money. If they just took on a graduate straight out of college, paid them a wage and not make them wait on the dole for six months, they might save a couple of grand but it's a massive waste of time.

Having jobbridge positions for civil service jobs is bafflingly stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Have not been following this thread so not sure if this has been posted but I got a laugh out of it. Gardai looking for a Human rights assistant & legal/policing researcher.

http://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-jobbridge-human-rights-assistant-1823726-Dec2014/

Xenji wrote: »

Thanks for all the opinions so far!

Re above post......Omg......that is sickening to be told another intern is on the way hand over all your hard work and even more sickening that that's a common occurrence. This whole scheme is rotten to the core.

I was irritated when I was told it's for 9months with no job at the end because "I can't hire you directly, you would have to go through public jobs.ie as you know". I felt like saying, hire someone from the massive list of people that are registered on public jobs.ie and pay them then. Grrr!!

I don't know what to do, my pride is saying f***k them but my CV and my future is saying swallow your pride.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Have not been following this thread so not sure if this has been posted but I got a laugh out of it. Gardai looking for a Human rights assistant & legal/policing researcher.

http://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-jobbridge-human-rights-assistant-1823726-Dec2014/
    Despite stating that no experience is required, one posting also requires the applicant be a “holder of a human rights qualification.

Typical Journal.ie populism.

'Qualification' clearly refers to education, not experience. The Leaving Cert is a Level 5 qualification. An honours degree is a Level 8, etc. I assume that a 'human rights qualification' is a post-grad degree.

I have a legal qualification (LL.B), but I have no legal experience whatsoever. Plenty of law firms on JobBridge invite applications from people with legal qualifications, but who have no legal experience. I, and many others, fit perfectly into that category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Two year experience required!

Online Sales Assistant

Based in BLANCHARDSTOWN Ref. INTE-901500

Description

The Intern will gain practical experience in dealing with the trade and the public. The intern will receive training in the following: Product Knowledge, Computer Systems, Website Administration, and Online/Phone Sales & Purchasing/Order Fulfilment. The applicant will also be trained in elements of Digital Marketing which will assist in the sales growth on our website. On completion the applicant will have gained skills in: Purchasing/Order Fulfilment, Sales/Product Knowledge, Computers & Website management and Communication & Customer Service skills. They will also be encouraged to be creative with sales/marketing strategies & building lasting relationships with customers, suppliers and work colleagues.
    Skills Requirements

The applicant be a friendly enthusiastic person with an interest in online sales & dealing with the construction/DIY industry. A general understanding of computers will be required and a understanding of the web would also be an advantage. Able to follow instructions, good phone manner & a neat personal appearance.
    Please Note:

This is an Internship. An allowance of €50 per week will be paid in addition to your current Social Welfare payment.See eligibility criteria above.
    Department

Sales
    Mentor

The Organisation will assign a mentor to support you during the Internship.

Duration

9 Months
    Number of Positions

Contract Type

Other
    Days, Hours & Start Date

Days per week: 5
    Hours per day: Not specified
    Hours per week: 40
    Start Date: Immediate

Experience Required:

Some Experience Required
    Min. Experience: 2 Years

Education Requirements:

Third Level -

http://www.jobsireland.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1wjxwbXJSaXoPHryqqB6ODXrll3dhtSO5j6OD4xAxUka33BMWtXljYdN1FZn8ZM+IVV7ZqukkOzYJ2IjZilunTpe/iEVscZAzYvJksB416p6/DRfL/NEpN1ueJPArkjfKWgnu+xkLVYcEbsPpEbX93xWuRUQXX3stlFcapiXrL6YRy+qSFh7uygHxyp3FUhc3Z4uPZhylihb9CxI5vL80StBekbVzFHXRmCajby+Z3N48L3aBKek+Z0JdZAAfcdjOX4EiEoZS2ropYja8p7nX/h0I52SbQ+ZkcWUJxQkpJg5JIhpS0nsmdgsO9z3lOasLTup5L95t8QSo7writP4nLEU+z3hyZyVTA==

Daenarys wrote: »
    I decided to give this Jobbridge muck a go, despite my inner hatred for the scheme. Applied to one position only because it was with a government department and got an interview (after an age!!)

So anyway in the interview first thing she told me is there would be no job at the end of it and I would be running this project by myself for 9 months(mentoring?!). She seemed really keen and I think I'm going to be offered it.

However it's actually going to cost me a good bit more than the 50euro extra in travel expenses and I'll end up with less money to live on.

Update for anyone that's interested.........I withdrew from the process because of the amount of money it was going to cost me to do this job and I wouldn't be learning anything new. However I was still on the list for the refusal email:

Many thanks for taking the time to attend our meeting.

I wish to inform you that an applicant who had specific experience in the area has been offered the internship.

May I take this opportunity to wish you the best in the future.

Brilliant Internship..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Look at this for a fcuking joke:
    Sales Office Assistant

Based in CRUMLIN Ref. INTE-902308

Description
    The intern will gain practical experience in: Digital Marketing concepts and SEO through social media, Sales and dealing with customers, IT/ Tech Support through installing and maintaining the website and office computers. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: Sales and dealing with customers , Wordpress usage, Teamwork, Communication skills. On completion the intern will have attained skills in:. Dealing with customers, Sales techniques, Social media and how it relates to a business , Wordpress usage and SEO

I know this store. It's a fairly new wooden flooring store (very small) - you go in, pick out floor you like and the owner will come around and put it down in your house.

Practical experience in social media. Let's take a look at their Twitter account: @HamptonFloors

Oh yeah. That's tip top digital marketing right there. Bet the "intern" will come away from their unpaid slavery stint as a Social Media Guru. :rolleyes:

Check out the site.

The fcuking state of the thing. No content. No design. Clearly stolen images. **** copy. And a "free Wordpresss theme" look. Bet the "intern" will gain tons of practical experience from this web design master. :rolleyes: :mad:

My guess is that your man wants some desperate graduate to come in an look after all the admin, social media, cleaning and daily bookkeeping that he doesn't enjoy. Ie. All the boring stuff he didn't realize he'd have to do to run a business. And when he's out installing flooring this lucky intern will be left to 'watch the shop'.

Here's the Jobbridge listings for today.

Looking for cleaner interns, call center interns, admin interns, "social media" interns (:rolleyes:), and the biggest joke of all; Sales Assistants.
    The intern will gain practical experience in general warehouse duties, goods in and outwards, serving on trade counter, dealing with customers and answering phones. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following product training, customer service, inhouse computer system, sales techniques. On completion the intern will have attained skills in: Customer Service, Trade Counter Sales and stock control.

TRANSLATION:
    We're basically looking for someone to work the till all day, clean the floors when it's not busy, break their backs loading stock off trucks and deal with angry customers over the phone. You'll be fully trained after day 1 mind - so for 8 months and 29 days you'll be free labour. But we'll give you a job at the end .(lol jk)

95% of them are searching for desparate people so they can off-load basic admin, gatekeeping, bookkeeping and customer facing roles FOR FREE. Interns will learn nothing doing these jobs.

The big offenders like government agencies and multinationals at LEAST seem to actually offer semi-legit internships where graduates might actually learn something and possibly get a job (or at least a reference).

In my opinion the biggest offenders are the SMEs looking for free admin/social media monkeys.

However I laugh because the idiot owners of these companies are allowing their digital marketing to be 100% handled by people who likely don't want to be involved in social media and are almost certain to have an axe to grind. :pac: They also seem to think that gaining a good conversion rate from social media means posting stolen images to twitter for all seven of their followers to ignore. :pac:

If I was on job seekers I'd love to apply, get the job, lock up all your mans accounts after scheduling a lot of mouldy p0rn and feck off. :D

/rant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Came across a receptionist internship that requires a minimum of 1 years experience.

This will be the year that you will be required to have 5 years of experience to start an internship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Came across a receptionist internship that requires a minimum of 1 years experience.

This will be the year that you will be required to have 5 years of experience to start an internship.

Have seen similar. It's a joke.

The funny thing is that I've hear Irish Graduates critisised for not being willing to "work their way up" or "get their foot in the door". I have many friends who are chomping at the bit to get going and would gladly accept a minimum wage job in their industry just to get started. Many would love to do a real internship that'd actually stand to them.

I've had friends be nervous, anxious and excited because they get an interview. They spend the whole week planning, rehearsing, getting the suit ready, etc... And when they come back from the interview, having been offered the "job" they're disheartened and ready to throw in the towel. 9/10 times it turns out to have been either a well-disguised door-to-door marketing scheme or "admin internship".

These are real people dying to get even the most poorly PAID job just so they can actually feed and clothe themselves - most of whom are currently stuck working in retail post-college. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Have seen similar. It's a joke.

The funny thing is that I've hear Irish Graduates critisised for not being willing to "work their way up" or "get their foot in the door". I have many friends who are chomping at the bit to get going and would gladly accept a minimum wage job in their industry just to get started. Many would love to do a real internship that'd actually stand to them.

I've had friends be nervous, anxious and excited because they get an interview. They spend the whole week planning, rehearsing, getting the suit ready, etc... And when they come back from the interview, having been offered the "job" they're disheartened and ready to throw in the towel. 9/10 times it turns out to have been either a well-disguised door-to-door marketing scheme or "admin internship".

These are real people dying to get even the most poorly PAID job just so they can actually feed and clothe themselves - most of whom are currently stuck working in retail post-college. :mad:

The problem is trying to get the foot in the door and then have it lead on to something else. I see little hope where I am to get full time employment without sufficient experience my only options are jobbridge and unpaid work can only get you so far! Its hard enough trying to get jobbridge interviews and get beyond that. Competition is so fierce now. I'd nearly have to be in the final few to get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

See, this just blatantly not wanting to pay someone.

My BF's boss loooooves Jobbridge. In fairness, he always then employs good interns. BUT there have been a few instances in the last few months where basic errors have been made by interns because they've been put in roles that really require someone a decent amount of experience. But that would require paying someone. It's a highly regulated industry and my BF said the company's reputation is really suffering because of these basic fúck ups happening. My BF's head is slightly melted with it all. I mean, obviously companies are sometimes going to take on people who have no experience, but it's just happening too frequently and in jobs where knowledge and experience are needed.

PS I am NOT blaming the interns in this example. I'm just highlighting that some employers are being quite short-sighted about getting free labour when it's probably doing more harm than good in the long run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement