Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

trixychic wrote: »
    the county jobbridge supervisor who told me the majority of placements work out

He's hardly going to say they're all crap, the spoofer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

He's hardly going to say they're all crap, the spoofer!

Ha i know. I just had to inform him of my experience when i meet him at a networking thing though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ha i know. I just had to inform him of my experience when i meet him at a networking thing though.

Can you ask him, if you meet him again, how do you report Jobbridge schemes that are in clear violation of the terms and point of the actual scheme.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Can you ask him, if you meet him again, how do you report Jobbridge schemes that are in clear violation of the terms and point of the actual scheme.

If i ever do i will. I cant remember his name but i can find it off a friend easy enough if you want it. ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

There was an internship last March in a dog day care centre in Galway. Guess who's looking again. March to December is 9 months. Next slave up. Only staffing their workplace.

This was on their Facebook page

Due to our continued growth & expansion, Doggie Daycare Galway is delighted to offer a new internship placement.

How about a real job due to your growth and expansion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

132 internships advertised on Monday
    137 internships advertised on Tuesday
    111 internships advertised on Wednesday

It was announced today that the government has plans to create 40,000 jobs in 2015. Heard on the radio that it was skewed figures and they were right, jobs created by jobbridge etc.

The sad thing is going by the above figures and if that continues every day, they aren't very far off.

40,000 jobs ÷ 52 weeks 729 jobs per week.
    Not including the weekend, 729 jobs advertised over 5 days = 153 per day.

Heard Joan Burton on UTV, we're responsible for getting Ireland back on its feet.

Well done Joan, well done.

My friend got a letter telling her she's to go for an interview for a nine month internship (I think it's called job plus) for Fingal county council.It would be great if she got a job at the end of it but I highly doubt that will happen!! It's all just a cover up to bring down the employment figures....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Its an incredible ask of someone to undergo such a herculean challenege while having the precious promise of work dangling like a carrot in front of you throughout. What utter scumbag bastards.
    I would just be happy knowing they would be never be permitted to participate or have the opportunity to abuse another individual in this way again.
    I would suggest contacting somebody via the website or email jobbridge@welfare.ie and highlighting this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    My friend got a letter telling her she's to go for an interview for a nine month internship (I think it's called job plus) for Fingal county council.It would be great if she got a job at the end of it but I highly doubt that will happen!! It's all just a cover up to bring down the employment figures....

If it is Job Plus then your friend has been on the dole for at least 12 months. I would not criticise anyone for trying to get someone like that into some sort of work. If they have not proved themselves suitable to prospective employers for such a considerable period, it is the next best option. In theory it should make them better prepared to join the the other 2 million of us in the regular workforce.

However there may be some confusion because a nine month internship does not match the criteria of Job Plus.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Jobs-Plus.aspx

JobsPlus is designed to encourage employers and businesses to focus their recruitment efforts on those who have been out of work for long periods. The level of payment is increased for the recruitment of those out of work for more than two years.

The Incentive will provide two levels of payment: a payment of €7,500 over two years to the employer for each person recruited who has been unemployed for more than 12 but less than 24 months and €10,000 over two years to the employer for each person recruited who has been unemployed for more than 24 months. The incentive will be payable monthly in arrears over a two year period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Candy_Girl wrote: »

Highly unlikely that your pal will be fully employed within the LA sector. At present there is an embargo thanks to Croke Park 1 and all vacancies are being filled from within thanks to transfers from existing staff or the services being shared with other coco. Furthermore, a lot of services are being put online or else privatised or severely restricted. Every so often career breaks are offered and I know a lot of people where I work are looking forward to redundancy if it comes around again, so realistically there won't be vacancies for a long time. In fact the problem is exacerbated now thanks to the new gateway scheme.
    Where I work we have had 3 jobsbridge applicants over the same number of years. They are basically given a desk, PC, and taken out on jobs with engineers or technical staff. In my opinion they are not expected to do much, constricted by legislation or authorisation and our last lad was confined as his car insurance did not indemnify the council so he was dependent on lifts etc to pursue his goal/aim/criteria.
    My opinion, in our place they do very little and are not expected to do anything. They are in a good, warm environment and although I personally don't agree with jobsbridge the 3 who did in our place have found full time employment and all within the time frame.
    I don't think its got anything to do with the work. I'm of the view that it's the reference and the skills which the people came in with in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Highly unlikely that your pal will be fully employed within the LA sector. At present there is an embargo thanks to Croke Park 1 and all vacancies are being filled from within thanks to transfers from existing staff or the services being shared with other coco. Furthermore, a lot of services are being put online or else privatised or severely restricted. Every so often career breaks are offered and I know a lot of people where I work are looking forward to redundancy if it comes around again, so realistically there won't be vacancies for a long time. In fact the problem is exacerbated now thanks to the new gateway scheme.
    Where I work we have had 3 jobsbridge applicants over the same number of years. They are basically given a desk, PC, and taken out on jobs with engineers or technical staff. In my opinion they are not expected to do much, constricted by legislation or authorisation and our last lad was confined as his car insurance did not indemnify the council so he was dependent on lifts etc to pursue his goal/aim/criteria.
    My opinion, in our place they do very little and are not expected to do anything. They are in a good, warm environment and although I personally don't agree with jobsbridge the 3 who did in our place have found full time employment and all within the time frame.
    I don't think its got anything to do with the work. I'm of the view that it's the reference and the skills which the people came in with in the first place.

Your right about her having no chance of getting employment, we have had a revolving door of interns since the scheme started in on JobBridge, must have been upwards to 40 now in my department alone and none can be kept on.

As regards Jobs Plus, I have not seen one person taken on under that scheme and cannot she how they could be either, so she must have got her wires crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I decided to take on a jobbridge internship after a few months of being unlucky in finding a job. (not enough yrs experience. Only 2-3 yrs rather than 5 that was looked for)

I put up with it all until 4wks before the deadline. I went to my local social welfare to see what could be done in the way of intervention or something. I was told to run for the hills! Not even to give notice. I was told in no short way to get the f out of there.

After 8 months of working there, being bullied, working stupid hours and taking on work i never had training for i got out. The relief was amazing!

I spoke to the county jobbridge supervisor who told me the majority of placements work out and i was unlucky.

I was never offered a position despite the promise, and bout a month before i left they actually hired another receptionist.

Jobbridge is a disgrace! Im now in the process of setting up my own business and thinkin of a website too. I will never go back to it again.

I've less than a years work-experience, so it a few months experience here and there. I definitely think the figures are skewed though.

Fair play to you for keeping up with the job but at the same time make yourself heard from the very start it was very unfair of them to let you stop your counselling and pile all that work on they took you for granted. You did the right thing to walk away from them when the jobbridge ended. Its a great feeling to be free! Best of luck with your endeavours.

No job is worth that kind of stress I've seen the affects of how it can affect people. Even I myself suffered from burn out and exhaustion and getting ill after a job, I had to stand up for myself and say I had enough to do in what I was doing and could not take any more work on. Then again I put more pressure on myself too.

Its all lies if a company state they take someone on after a jobbridge placement they rather not have to pay someone. Only the very best will get a full time paying job from it and most likely they get a job elsewhere that is paid. Yes jobbridge gives them experience and bridges the gap on CV but a jobbridge can only do so much for a person. Its a waste if you end up having to do more than one or two jobbridges something is seriously wrong.

I pretty much think when they say so many jobs will be created the majority of them will be already filled by the time they advertise, that the majority of them will be jobbridges or not enough jobs available by the time you go to apply for these jobs being created. Its costing the tax payer more money to keep these jobbridges going.

You need to be very selective when choosing one but saying that in some places there is very little choice of jobs for graduates and those that lack experience. For instance in my county its quite sluggish as to how often they update their solas/jobbridges section. In my field its very limited as to what is available in my county unless you have years of experience or do a jobbridge but they are still limited jobs in my county. Regardless I still would end up having to travel a half hour to an hour to get work at all as there is very little going in the town I live.

What makes it harder for me is the majority of jobbridges I could do in my county or neighbouring counties I've applied to either I don't hear back or I am not successful at interview stage. On top of that the majority of jobbridges that I could do in the rest of Ireland are all up the country and I cannot afford to go to Dublin on just the dole without a paying job! Munster and Connaught regions be my only other hope or look into the other cities. The only way I could do it is do a jobbridge for the summer, stay in student accommodation but then again living in a city is still expensive.

I try to fill in the gaps as much as possible on CV and makes little difference if I can't get an interview or get past interview stage.

Personally I have found it hard to even get a jobbridge. I'm often the one chasing after them to give me an interview.

Doovdela i know your pain. It took a good bit to get onto the thing and then it completely shot my confidence. Awful stuff.

Its all lies if a company state they take someone on after a jobbridge placement they rather not have to pay someone. Only the very best will get a full time paying job from it and most likely they get a job elsewhere that is paid. Yes jobbridge gives them experience and bridges the gap on CV but a jobbridge can only do so much for a person. Its a waste if you end up having to do more than one or two jobbridges something is seriously wrong.

I pretty much think when they say so many jobs will be created the majority of them will be already filled by the time they advertise, that the majority of them will be jobbridges or not enough jobs available by the time you go to apply for these jobs being created. Its costing the tax payer more money to keep these jobbridges going.

Personally I have found it hard to even get a jobbridge. I'm often the one chasing after them to give me an interview.

I can say with certainty in the case of my placement, jobs have been created continusously throughout but the thing is they have been jobs for the boys. (No advertisment/competition, just secret d qls done) Being public sector I would have hoped to have been able to apply and compete for positions at the end of my term, hoping for transparency and equality in the creation of jobs but as I've realised thats nota reality.

It's a system that can't be fought and at this stage, given that the moratorium has been lifted I think public sector organisations should be prohibited from partaking in the scheme. Interns are being used to cover fat lazy ps employees on holidays/extended sick leave and really these people don't deserve any kind of assistance, especially free from the state. Another one of irelands corrupt institutions continuing on its long history of abuse.

Apologies for spelling on phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

doovdela wrote: »
    I'm often the one chasing after them to give me an interview.

I would think that if a company genuinely had a shortfall in a position and needed to take someone on, they'd look to hire in a serious candidate for a paid position rather than a no-experience intern.
    If they aren't serious, or don't care about the quality of the staff for the role, they'll go with jobbridge.

I would think that if a company genuinely had a shortfall in a position and needed to take someone on, they'd look to hire in a serious candidate for a paid position rather than a no-experience intern.
    If they aren't serious, or don't care about the quality of the staff for the role, they'll go with jobbridge.
    in the HSE its more a case of looking to hire friends/family/relatives/neighbours, y'know, those without any experience but the kind of people willing to continue the cherished traditions of turning a blind eye in exchange for a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

pharmaton wrote: »
    in the HSE its more a case of looking to hire friends/family/relatives/neighbours, y'know, those without any experience but the kind of people willing to continue the cherished traditions of turning a blind eye in exchange for a job.

Very true, know of a few families with 3 generations working at the same time in our local hospital.

I remember the summer scheme they used to have for people 16-21 and it was basically all kids of current staff that got on it, I did it myself for 3 years straight.

Xenji wrote: »
    Very true, know of a few families with 3 generations working at the same time in our local hospital.

I remember the summer scheme they used to have for people 16-21 and it was basically all kids of current staff that got on it, I did it myself for 3 years straight.

I talk, breathe, work and eat with them everyday, mothers,daughters, nieces, sisters and cousins. Its complete inbred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

pharmaton wrote: »
    I talk, breathe, work and eat with them everyday, mothers,daughters, nieces, sisters and cousins. Its complete inbred.

Yeah how dare they work and pay their taxes. Cheek of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

Yeah how dare they work and pay their taxes. Cheek of them

It's great that they work and pay taxes but it's nepotism and cronyism that has this country the way it is. If you don't "know" anyone and nobody you know "knows" anyone, it's a tough road getting a decent job here.

IME the nephew or the next door neighbours daughter with the same or less qualifications will get it before you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

If there's anyone considering applying for a Jobbridge position, here's a little tip: try contacting a company that isn't hiring interns. That's what I done. I identified a few companies that I was interested in and I emailed them with my CV, and a small note explaining my interest in starting an (essentially unpaid) internship with them. So far it's all working out. The boss is sound and all the staff are so helpful and easygoing. I've learned so much already about the industry. So I'm getting exactly what I want from it. Okay, I'm only getting €238 a week, and there's only an outside chance that I'll be kept on when it's over. On the other hand, I'm gaining valuable experience. That's huge for me, because I'm trying to change careers and it's absolutely essential that I pick up relevant work, or I'll have no hope of competing for genuine opportunities when they become available. Don't get me wrong, Jobbridge is a disaster. It's got the makings of a good idea, but it has been implemented by apes, and it's being badly abused. Nonetheless, it is possible to use it as a first step.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

My boyfriend's boss all over and it's damaging his company's reputation. All he thinks of (shortsightedly) is the money he saves.

See this post I made a few weeks back on the subject:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93658806&postcount=4200

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

If there's anyone considering applying for a Jobbridge position, here's a little tip: try contacting a company that isn't hiring interns. That's what I done. I identified a few companies that I was interested in and I emailed them with my CV, and a small note explaining my interest in starting an (essentially unpaid) internship with them. So far it's all working out. The boss is sound and all the staff are so helpful and easygoing. I've learned so much already about the industry. So I'm getting exactly what I want from it. Okay, I'm only getting €238 a week, and there's only an outside chance that I'll be kept on when it's over. On the other hand, I'm gaining valuable experience. That's huge for me, because I'm trying to change careers and it's absolutely essential that I pick up relevant work, or I'll have no hope of competing for genuine opportunities when they become available. Don't get me wrong, Jobbridge is a disaster. It's got the makings of a good idea, but it has been implemented by apes, and it's being badly abused. Nonetheless, it is possible to use it as a first step.

If you don't mind me asking, did the company have to advertise the position, if you asked them to take you on.

I know I'm all over this as if I hate it and I do but I need experience. More experience.

I even applied for a jobbridge where I was told, they have more to interview. Meaning they will find someone with more experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

If you don't mind me asking, did the company have to advertise the position, if you asked them to take you on.

I know I'm all over this as if I hate it and I do but I need experience. More experience.

I even applied for a jobbridge where I was told, they have more to interview. Meaning they will find someone with more experience.

Yes, as far as I know the company still has to register with Jobbridge and place an ad, but it would be only a formality.

Xenji wrote: »
    It's not just JobBridge, thousands of people are on other schemes as well that the social pay for, I think last year it was about 80000 and all these people are classified as being off the live register.

I did a CE scheme two years ago, we were under no illusions... we're being hidden from the live register, that's all.

I'm on disability allowance, I wonder if I show on the live register?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Daenarys wrote: »
    It's great that they work and pay taxes but it's nepotism and cronyism that has this country the way it is. If you don't "know" anyone and nobody you know "knows" anyone, it's a tough road getting a decent job here.

IME the nephew or the next door neighbours daughter with the same or less qualifications will get it before you.

Give it over. If they where sitting around on the dole you'd be moaning. That's the world we live in. It helps to know people networking and all that.

Give it over. If they where sitting around on the dole you'd be moaning. That's the world we live in. It helps to know people networking and all that.

There is a big difference between networking and nepatism. Everyone has a chance with networking once they are willing to make the effort and put themselves out there.

There is no such chance if nepatism is in the system!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Latest scandal relating to jobsbridge just now on rte teletext. Jobseekers were being trained in how to find work by those trainers who were themselves on jobsbridge. Unpublished report revealed by rte. You just gotta hand it to the Labour Party!!

Latest scandal relating to jobsbridge just now on rte teletext. Jobseekers were being trained in how to find work by those trainers who were themselves on jobsbridge. Unpublished report revealed by rte. You just gotta hand it to the Labour Party!!

Our country is screwed up!

That's mad like? :confused:

• Advertisement

If there's anyone considering applying for a Jobbridge position, here's a little tip: try contacting a company that isn't hiring interns. That's what I done. I identified a few companies that I was interested in and I emailed them with my CV, and a small note explaining my interest in starting an (essentially unpaid) internship with them. So far it's all working out. Don't get me wrong, Jobbridge is a disaster. It's got the makings of a good idea, but it has been implemented by apes, and it's being badly abused. Nonetheless, it is possible to use it as a first step.

I did that too when looking for a placement last year and companies didn't either seem interested or they rather stick with a proper jobbridge that they advertised.

Advertisement