Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

coolemon wrote: »
    These schemes are meant to build confidence by getting people out working.

But by their very nature they do the opposite. They devalue and grind people down.

Peoples time and labour are worth-less.

'When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.' Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way' ~ Viktor Frankl

I know some people might read that as a cop out but you can be sure I'll never think of myself as less worthy than anyone else ever again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Seen an internship today as a farm operator, milking cows, poultry management (poultry welfare, egg grading), and general farm duties.

Skills requirement
    Full clean driving licence. Own transport is essential as we live in the country and will need to get to and from work.

Its not work, its meant to be an internship. To and from the internship. To be supervised slaving on the farm.

I'm glad they're saying it the way it is, to and from work. But how about paying your slave for the 36 hours a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Seen an internship today as a farm operator, milking cows, poultry management (poultry welfare, egg grading), and general farm duties.

Skills requirement
    Full clean driving licence. Own transport is essential as we live in the country and will need to get to and from work.

Its not work, its meant to be an internship. To and from the internship. To be supervised slaving on the farm.

I'm glad they're saying it the way it is, to and from work. But how about paying your slave for the 36 hours a week.

They would need 7 years experience to get a paid job milking cows.

As Joan said "You cant get work if you don't have experience and you cant get experience if you don't have work".

Training a new employee and paying them for their time? - not with the new streamlined and uber-efficient private sector and competition state.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

ssay for example, if you're aware of becoming displaced from your job for one of these scam interns, has there been any cases where it was proven for unfair dismissal etc?

The internship will not be provided to displace an employee. The scheme administrator reserves the right to review cases where it is reported that this is the case.

can you trust this 'administrator' of theirs or would it be even better to go to the work relations office?

i've heard stories where they try tricks to force their workers out. this scheme is seriously displacing workers, they're ending up on the dole
    at a cost of €200 per week then adding an extra €50 to the intern = €250 so nobody is winning here only the employer and their fake employment stats. its costing them more money. now both intern and now out of job full-time worker can't afford anything, more rent allowance, more medical cards haha. some joke. muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

Pressure should be put on Joan Burton to do away with this internship exploitation.
    Anyone know her email address abd we can all get in touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Flukey wrote: »
    I know of someone who went looking for a particular IT course, but were offered a completely different one and told by the FÁS person that all IT courses are the same. That's years ago. People offering courses should have a good knowledge of what they are offering and the differences between them.

personally i think a lot of these IT course from springboard and the likes (notice they're a lot of part-time offers) are very lightweight, less teaching, make you dumber than you are so they'll keep you down to intern level. you're better off learning at home. its just the paper they're offering. you'd need 3-4 years in college to be ready at this rate. can't be done in 8 months part-time, its like firing s*** at a wall hoping some of it will stick, theres an awful lot of it falling off and these costs €3k average per student. a lot of waste. they're also expected to be available for work? how can you do these hetac levels and achieve something in such short time?

VEN wrote: »
    personally i think a lot of these IT course from springboard and the likes (notice they're a lot of part-time offers) are very lightweight, less teaching, make you dumber than you are so they'll keep you down to intern level. you're better off learning at home. its just the paper they're offering. you'd need 3-4 years in college to be ready at this rate. can't be done in 8 months part-time, its like firing s*** at a wall hoping some of it will stick, theres an awful lot of it falling off and these costs €3k average per student. a lot of waste. they're also expected to be available for work? how can you do these hetac levels and achieve something in such short time?

A lot are full time to be fair but yeah no match for 4 year immersion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

VEN wrote: »
    ssay for example, if you're aware of becoming displaced from your job for one of these scam interns, has there been any cases where it was proven for unfair dismissal etc?

The internship will not be provided to displace an employee. The scheme administrator reserves the right to review cases where it is reported that this is the case.

can you trust this 'administrator' of theirs or would it be even better to go to the work relations office?

i've heard stories where they try tricks to force their workers out. this scheme is seriously displacing workers, they're ending up on the dole
    at a cost of €200 per week then adding an extra €50 to the intern = €250 so nobody is winning here only the employer and their fake employment stats. its costing them more money. now both intern and now out of job full-time worker can't afford anything, more rent allowance, more medical cards haha. some joke. muppets.

I know for a fact that my internship displaces a paid employee. The work I do absolutely needs to be done. And by getting an intern they are avoiding the costs of a paid employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

coolemon wrote: »
    I know for a fact that my internship displaces a paid employee. The work I do absolutely needs to be done. And by getting an intern they are avoiding the costs of a paid employee.

A mate of mine's sister does temping work. Twice in the past 18 months she's been replaced by a Jobsbridge intern. In both cases the intern had no relevant skills yet were expected to tackle the likes of payroll and administration duties. The second time it happened, the boss hadn't even the guts to tell her. Instead he hid from her until her last week there and then got the agency to do the dirty work for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

A mate of mine's sister does temping work.

Ah temping....them were the days. I was never on the dole before because temping was a great bridging option while looking for permanent jobs. Barely exists anymore because of JB.

• Advertisement

Got a call today from manager in another department where they already have an intern working, to invite me to interview for a contract position they will be offering. Bear in mind I have no experience or qualification in this area at all (finance) as I've spent the last seven months working in a completely unrelated field (medical) and they have an intern who has been working there for the last year who does. when I highlighted this fact they wobbled about a bit and suggested at least it would be good interview experience.

I expect it's their way of saying, well at least we made an effort to accommodate you as a prospective employee but sorry, we are not and never were going to employ you at all. Wish they would just fup off and leave me work the last few months out in peace. Having seven months of being continuously overlooked on the jobs front to be formally rejected by an interview panel in place of another intern would just be the icing on the cake. I think these people are actually deliberately trying to mentally fcuk me up at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

pharmaton wrote: »
    Got a call today from manager in another department where they already have an intern working, to invite me to interview for a contract position they will be offering. Bear in mind I have no experience or qualification in this area at all (finance) as I've spent the last seven months working in a completely unrelated field (medical) and they have an intern who has been working there for the last year who does. when I highlighted this fact they wobbled about a bit and suggested at least it would be good interview experience.

I expect it's their way of saying, well at least we made an effort to accommodate you as a prospective employee but sorry, we are not and never were going to employ you at all. Wish they would just fup off and leave me work the last few months out in peace. Having seven months of being continuously overlooked on the jobs front to be formally rejected by an interview panel in place of another intern would just be the icing on the cake. I think these people are actually deliberately trying to mentally fcuk me up at this stage.

It is probably like in the Council and when they need to have about 3 companies going for a tender, you are more than likely being used as fodder so another person can get the job without competition.

Xenji wrote: »
    It is probably like in the Council and when they need to have about 3 companies going for a tender, you are more than likely being used as fodder so another person can get the job without competition.

Yeah, I said as much to the manager. I know if I don't go they'll use that excuse to defend their bs and if I do I deal with the rejection. The other intern has been working with them for the last year, as far as I am concerned the role has already been, and rightly so, allocated to that individual.

Jaysus Pharmaton, I don't know how you're still sticking it out. It must be draining the life out of you at this stage. You really deserve a decent job with a decent company after all this ****e.

I'm looking at a jobbridge position, in a big enough town but not a city.

But only 3 house shares on daft advertised 3 weeks ago, 2 weeks ago and yesterday.

Is there any point applying if its going to be difficult to get a house share?

Daenarys wrote: »
    Jaysus Pharmaton, I don't know how you're still sticking it out. It must be draining the life out of you at this stage. You really deserve a decent job with a decent company after all this ****e.

As it happens I do spend a good bit of time ruminating about the whole charade. I've been practically suicidal at times going through it but I'm a glutton for punishment. I think I may have aspergers :D Before I entered my internship I studied and researched the HSE as an entity. I wrote a few papers on different aspects of the organisation from its organizational structure to the reform plans and I developed a personal interest in it as a result. I wanted to know why it wasn't working and while I knew the mechanics of it on paper, I knew I would never understand it completely until I worked there. I genuinely believe I have a greater appreciation for the problems now that I have but I've also been able to find some closure. It's fairly obvious what's wrong with the place but I doubt anyone will ever do anything to bring about change. Actually, I've found the HSE is completely resistant to change and that's the sad part.

I think I deserve a good job too, hopefully something good will come from it when all done and dusted. Maybe somewhere better :)

I'm looking at a jobbridge position, in a big enough town but not a city.

But only 3 house shares on daft advertised 3 weeks ago, 2 weeks ago and yesterday.

Is there any point applying if its going to be difficult to get a house share?

Depending on what you are going for, it might be harder to get the position than the accommodation, many legitimate position have dozens of applicants.

Xenji wrote: »
    Depending on what you are going for, it might be harder to get the position than the accommodation, many legitimate position have dozens of applicants.

So I should go for it anyway.

So I should go for it anyway.

Can you afford rent, bills etc on the €238? Or if you need to go to the doctor will you have a bit to spare? I'm assuming the rent must be really really low if you're considering it?

Daenarys wrote: »
    Can you afford rent, bills etc on the €238? Or if you need to go to the doctor will you have a bit to spare? I'm assuming the rent must be really really low if you're considering it?

If I can get a house share, I can do it. I did it before on the back to education allowance and that was the same as the jobseekers payment, nothing extra on top.

My old student weekly spend was
    €60 a week on rent
    €40 a week on bills
    €30 on food
    €15 on bus
    €5 credit
    €10 for other things

That was €160 a week. I don't drink or smoke. So its manageable on €238.

But like I pointed out, the position I saw was in a town and I'm not so sure about getting a house share due to the frequency of the adds on daft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It's really disheartening when I'm looking for a work placement for my university course, and 80-90% of the results on the likes of indeed.ie are Jobbridge schemes. Not even work placements are safe from this!

If I can get a house share, I can do it. I did it before on the back to education allowance and that was the same as the jobseekers payment, nothing extra on top.

My old student weekly spend was
    €60 a week on rent
    €40 a week on bills
    €30 on food
    €15 on bus
    €5 credit
    €10 for other things

That was €160 a week. I don't drink or smoke. So its manageable on €238.

But like I pointed out, the position I saw was in a town and I'm not so sure about getting a house share due to the frequency of the adds on daft.

Sounds like you could manage it financially. I think it's no harm in going for anyway if it's a worthwhile internship, tell them in the interview that you intend on relocating if you're successful and I would imagine if they see you as the best candidate they would be flexible on start dates. It's not like a permanent position where they need to have someone in by a specific date.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

It's really disheartening when I'm looking for a work placement for my university course, and 80-90% of the results on the likes of indeed.ie are Jobbridge schemes. Not even work placements are safe from this!

Its true, can be very difficult took me two months to find my college placement last year but they didn't want to know me when applying for jobbridges because I was only doing the placement a few days/hours a week along with the course I was doing. I offered to do work for them for free unpaid but not even that made a difference. I had to look into the volunteering sector instead.

Did placement for free for the few months. It been no different to doing a jobbridge despite the hours. It was good work-experience but had no other choice to go there as I couldn't find anywhere else. Its very difficult to find anything where I am that is paid work unless you have experience. Its all unpaid jobs and jobbridges at the moment. I've heard some of these jobbridges on offer and turns out the jobs don't exist after I've heard people doing interviews for them. Its ridiculous that other jobbridges are replacing real jobs. There isn't even that many of them where I am which is frustrating. Other times not hearing back either.

I have noticed a something new about the scheme, I was looking through jobs today with one of the interns I am mentoring and if you look at the various job websites there are nearly double the number of internships being offered for our town anyway then there are on the official website, it was pitiful also to see not one non internship entry position job offered on the job sites either.

Also.

Hold on to your hats – a new incarnation of JobBridge is on the way

Two new schemes aimed at 18-25 year olds have just been launched

THE DEPARTMENT OF Social Protection has launched two new schemes aimed at battling unemployment, both of which are aimed specifically at the 18-25 years age group.
    ‘First Steps’ will offer work placements for six or nine months to unemployed people in that age group.
    Four out of five days weekly will be spent on placement while the final day is expected to be spent jobsearching.

The standard Jobbridge internship fee of €50 is payable weekly under First Steps. Aimed at providing 2,000 such internships in 2015, the scheme will kick off in April.

JobsPlus Youth meanwhile is an update of sorts to Jobsplus, a scheme which discounts an employer’s wage bill when they hire directly from the live register. The programme is aimed again at under-25s and has gone live immediately.
    The Department of Social Protection expects to provide 1,500 additional jobs via the scheme this year.
    Reaction to the announcement has been predictably polarised. The Tánaiste and Social Protection minister Joan Burton was naturally enthusiastic:

The recovering economy will improve the prospects for many young people leaving school and college, but others will find it hard to take that first step onto the employment ladder.

The purpose of these schemes is to give them that opportunity.

The Anti-Austerity Alliance meanwhile were as critical of the schemes as you might expect.

“The First Steps scheme is really JobBridge by another name,” said Paul Murphy TD in response to the launch.
    JobBridge has been shown to be exploitative, a source of free labour, and in some cases is acting as a block on paid employment.The only difference here is that First Steps is based over a four day week.

The debate over this one is likely to run and run…

http://www.thejournal.ie/first-steps-jobsplus-youth-1920118-Feb2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

Thanks Joan Bridge. I cant get any work apart from your free labor scheme.

No more causal /part time work in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Oh for fuck's sake...as if it wasn't hard enough already for me and my peers to find work.

It's BS scheme after BS scheme in this country to fiddle the numbers. None of those moronic corrupt politicians children will end up on one of these schemes though will they!!!!!

We'll end up with a huge amount of pensioners and not enough people working to pay a liveable state pension soon if they keep shoving everyone under 30 to the airport :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

This is such a weird ad. Starts out like the Jobbridge template, then says 'Salary: Neg' then looks for a year's experience. :confused:

http://ie.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=a1a36a218449b82c&q=marketing+assistant&l=Dublin&tk=19ds9o2qg16qi1qa

Digital Media & Web Design Assistant - Dublin

The intern will gain practical experience in designing websites, social media marketing, facebook promotion & advertising. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: Website Design, Social Media Marketing, Online Marketing, Search Engine Optimization, Email promotions, digital Marketing, social media data analysis, online advertising platforms and Google analytics. On completion the intern will have attained skills in many aspects of Digital Marketing, data analysis and Website Design.

A smart, proactive person with a keen interest in digital marketing seeking to gain experience in digital marketing and web design. A flair for technical and visual design skills, strong interpersonal and communication skills. The successful applicant will have a knowledge of web design and social media fundamentals. Strong IT skills and confident telephone manner.

Salary: €Neg DOE

Department

HR

Number of Positions

Contract Type

Permanent

Days, Hours & Start Date

Days per week: 5
    Hours per day: 8
    Hours per week: 39

Start Date: 16/02/2015

Experience Required:
    NA

Min. Experience: 1 Year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

• Advertisement

I've a meeting with my case officer tomorrow, but she still rings me today to tell me about a Telesales internship she saw advertised that has "lots of work experience to gain from it" and they would probably be looking for someone full time after.

So my 16 years of a professional career will be enhanced by a f*cking unpaid telesales Jobbridge. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement