Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

The reality of jobbridge is that desperate people clean bins and stock shelves for 9 months hoping to be allowed to do the same thing for money afterwards.

I never cleaned a bin or stocked shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    If I was running a business who do you imagine I would want to hire all other things being equal? The guy who will work 6-9 months for 150 euro a week or the guy who won't work 6-9 months or 150 euro a week? Who has the better attitude?

Well, not you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Well, not you anyway.
    I don't think I was including myself in the comparison.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If I was running a business who do you imagine I would want to hire all other things being equal? The guy who will work 6-9 months for 150 euro a week or the guy who won't work 6-9 months or 150 euro a week? Who has the better attitude?

Jobbridge is great for those starting off their career because it gives the company the opportunity to train people at a much lower cost and at end the applicant will either have a job or 6-9 months experience working in the sector. It's really that simple.

JobBridge is great for employers because it gives them the opportunity to avail of free labour.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

Jobbridge is great for those starting off their career because it gives the company the opportunity to train people at a much lower cost and at end the applicant will either have a job or 6-9 months experience working in the sector. It's really that simple.

6-9 months working in the sector of stacking boxes, great experience to be had.

• Advertisement

Wide Load wrote: »
    6-9 months working in the sector of stacking boxes, great experience to be had.
    If that's what you sign up for... You're not compelled to stack boxes you know...

I don't think I was including myself in the comparison.

No shít!

Your horrible attitude came across in the post so yeah.

Hermy wrote: »
    JobBridge is great for employers because it gives them the opportunity to avail of free labour.
    Yes and gives those who are otherwise unable to to find work the ability to build up experience. Jobbridge helps remove some of that pressure but if we didn't have such high draconian minimum wage laws there would be no need for jobbridge.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    No shít!

Your horrible attitude came across in the post so yeah.
    You may find my attitude horrible but at the end of the day I couldn't care less. Wake up call if you're not willing to work for less than minimum wage during internships well, there are plenty who will. There's no point complaining about jobbridge if you're not willing to make sacrifices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I would just save myself the hassle of paying someone and getting a jobbridge intern. Why pay someone with only 6-9 months experience from the scheme who wasnt kept on or didnt find a job during that time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

You may find my attitude horrible but at the end of the day I couldn't care less. Wake up call if you're not willing to work for less than minimum wage during internships well, there are plenty who will. There's no point complaining about jobbridge if you're not willing to make sacrifices.

I've a question.
    Let's say an internship (the full 39 hours) was offered. It's an internship on cleaning cars at a carwash and we'll say operating the till too on Jobsbridge.
    Assuming you're in favour of someone taking up that internship for the nine months, would you be in favour of someone taking up an internship as a receptionist for the same amount of time?

Both have zero experience whatsoever. The only thing both companies have in common is the car wash place has a habit of requesting many internships over the past few years for the same type of job. Pretend it's a Maxol or something.

I would just save myself the hassle of paying someone and getting a jobbridge intern. Why pay someone with only 6-9 months experience from the scheme who wasnt kept on or didnt find a job during that time?
    Because training is expensive. I'd like to say most people are smart enough not to take an internship in an industry with little training costs but that would be optimistic...

Because training is expensive. I'd like to say most people are smart enough not to take an internship in an industry with little training costs but that would be optimistic...

Then how the Hell did you manage to defend the whole thing several pages back when people were pointing out nine months of "training" for stuff like deli worker?

Your argument then was (IIRC; if you want I'll double check back through the thread): if you're not interested in it then don't take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

If that's what you sign up for... You're not compelled to stack boxes you know...

Get your dole cut or sign up. You'd be compelled to sign up alright..

I've a question.
    Let's say an internship (the full 39 hours) was offered. It's an internship on cleaning cars at a carwash and we'll say operating the till too on Jobsbridge.
    Assuming you're in favour of someone taking up that internship for the nine months, would you be in favour of someone taking up an internship as a receptionist for the same amount of time?

Both have zero experience whatsoever. The only thing both companies have in common is the car wash place has a habit of requesting many internships over the past few years for the same type of job. Pretend it's a Maxol or something.
    Why would you make that assumption? No I wouldn't be in favor of someone taking up an internship to wash cars considering there's very little training costs involved.

Does that mean I don't think they should be advertised on the website? Of course they should be I would hope people are smart enough to pass over them.

Wide Load wrote: »
    Get your dole cut or sign up. You'd be compelled to sign up alright..
    Nope, you're compelled to apply for jobbridge scheme, send in a rubbish cv and if by some miracle you get an interview, botch it.

So I did a quick Google:
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/JobBridge-Organisations.aspx
    According to that, if you have one fulltime employee (30 hours or more per week), you're entitled to at least one slave, er, "jobbridge worker". So, if I'm reading this, I can pop open a business, claim I'm working 30 hours by standing in the room for 30 hours a week and have an unemployed person
    do all the work?
    Why would you make that assumption? No I wouldn't be in favor of someone taking up an internship to wash cars considering there's very little training costs involved.

Does that mean I don't think they should be advertised on the website? Of course they should be I would hope people are smart enough to pass over them.

Why, though? Why should some shyster of a businessman get to say "ah let's not pay someone. Just bring in someone to be a slave from the dole"?

You may find my attitude horrible but at the end of the day I couldn't care less.

Once again - no shít. :D

Why, though? Why should some shyster of a businessman get to say "ah let's not pay someone. Just bring in someone to be a slave from the dole"?
    If the slave is dumb enough to do a scheme in an industry without high training costs then I don't see the problem myself.

If the slave is dumb enough to do it I don't see the problem myself.

You don't see why it's okay for it to be legal to hire someone from below a minimum wage, to encourage unethical practices, to essentially destroy entry level jobs and replace them with unemployed people who are still considered unemployed, just not for the purposes of the government being able to consider them on the register.

Are you having a laugh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

So I did a quick Google:
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/JobBridge-Organisations.aspx
    According to that, if you have one fulltime employee (30 hours or more per week), you're entitled to at least one slave, er, "jobbridge worker". So, if I'm reading this, I can pop open a business, claim I'm working 30 hours by standing in the room for 30 hours a week and have an unemployed person
    do all the work?

you are not your own employee
    neither is your wife or child
    but if you need a team of three you can hire one full time 30 hrs employee and get a second free

Tigger wrote: »
    you are not your own employee
    neither is your wife or child
    but if you need a team of three you can hire one full time 30 hrs employee and get a second free

I was hoping it wasn't that simple.
    Still, you could anybody you know that's not related to you directly and have them down as 30 hours, right?

You don't see why it's okay for it to be legal to hire someone from below a minimum wage, to encourage unethical practices, to essentially destroy entry level jobs and replace them with unemployed people who are still considered unemployed, just not for the purposes of the government being able to consider them on the register.
    Our draconian minimum wage laws have destroyed entry level jobs. The jobbridge scheme allows companies to take on low skilled workers and train them up, effectively the government is subsiding this training.

This is good for both the worker and the company, the worker either gets a job or at least training and experience in the sector they want to work and the company gets to train people without having to worry about high wage costs.

If our minimum wage laws were lower there would be no need for jobbridge but here we are. Effectively people who aren't worth minimum wage at market value are complaining about jobbridge taking all their jobs instead of getting off their ass and doing something about it. I have very little time for people like that.

So you believe the government's solution is to "create below minimum wage jobs" because the minimum wage is too high?

Because it sounds like you're trying to justify a bunch of shady practices here.
    You do remember the work placement program don't you?
    Do you remember CE schemes too?

So you believe the government's solution is to "create below minimum wage jobs" because the minimum wage is too high?
    If the minimum wage wasn't so high there would be no need for jobbridge.

Jobbridge exists for those whose market value is less than minimum wage, to give them a chance to acquire skills and experience.

If the minimum wage wasn't so high there would be no need for jobbridge.

Jobbridge exists for those whose market value is less than minimum wage, to give them a chance to acquire skills and experience.

Yeah great, now about the other part of my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

Our draconian minimum wage laws have destroyed entry level jobs. The jobbridge scheme allows companies to take on low skilled workers and train them up, effectively the government is subsiding this training.

This is good for both the worker and the company, the worker either gets a job or at least training and experience in the sector they want to work and the company gets to train people without having to worry about high wage costs.

If our minimum wage laws were lower there would be no need for jobbridge but here we are. Effectively people who aren't worth minimum wage at market value are complaining about jobbridge taking all their jobs instead of getting off their ass and doing something about it. I have very little time for people like that.

And clearly our minimum wage is far too high as evidenced by all the minimum wage workers in Dublin living like kings in vast luxury apartments.

And clearly our minimum wage is far too high as evidenced by all the minimum wage workers in Dublin living like kings in vast luxury apartments.
    Clearly the minimum wage is too high given all the people who have to rely on schemes like jobbridge to get a job.

Can you explain to me why we needed JB when we had CE schemes?

• Advertisement

Can you explain to me why we needed JB when we had CE schemes?
    They're completely different schemes, why do we need bananas when we have oranges? Your question is nonsensical.

Advertisement