Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

So, like, to cut to brass tacks....

Is Jobsbridge the government simply paying private companies tax payers money to 'hire' unemployed people to make it seem like they are doing something about unemployment?

To me that seems like bad governance. Some would say its cynical.

Or maybe its just a scam to massage figures and get re-elected on a load of hot air. Tossers.

The government pays the interns weekly social welfare payment and then another 50 Euro on top of that, the employer pays the intern nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

Xenji wrote: »
    The government pays the interns weekly social welfare payment and then another 50 Euro on top of that, the employer pays the intern nothing.

You know what I mean. The employer benefits big time.

The country looses out twice by paying benefits and loosing tax on work done.

Gifting free labor to whoever wants it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

You know what I mean. The company benefits big time.

The country looses out twice by paying benefits and loosing tax on work done.

Better than having the other 89k on the live register. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

(2) What about all the people, like myself and many of my friends, who can't apply for JobBridge because we've never been on the dole? The vast majority of internships are now JobBridge only, we can't apply for them. How do we get the experience?

Hasn't there been moves on a 'First Step' program but has been given similar negative reviews here before its even been started.
    Look, on paper, JobBridge sounds great. People can't get jobs because they have no experience - let's give them the chance to get that experience and top up their dole a bit at the same time. It makes perfect sense. EXCEPT... It's been poorly regulated and abused since the start, meaning the entire youth employment market has been decimated, real unskilled jobs have been converted into "internships" (no-one needs 9 months unpaid training to be able to man a till in Tesco, or to clean a school) and actual valuable internships (in the truest sense of the word) have been cut off from half the people who would willingly do one.

There are many factors regarding youth unemployment. The high min wage and more competition for menial jobs from workers from Eastern Europe being far more major factors then Job Bridge. Australia's Youth unemployment is almost 3 times the national average. Again issues like the high min wage and workers coming in from Asia on student visas increasing the competition for jobs.

If you want secure well paid work you need to have a skill and an expertise in something that offers value to a client or business. If your goal in life is to flip burgers then fine but don't complain about low pay and crap conditions because any fool can flip a burger.

As Warren Buffet said, the more you learn, the more you earn....

Armelodie wrote: »
    Is there anywhere you wouldnt approve of jobbridge jank?
    Doctors, dentists, nurses.... teachers?

Funny, all those professions you mention have some kind of internship or work experience bolted onto their qualification e.g. Teachers during the HDip has to go into a class and teach some classes... and be graded on it at the end of the year.. a nurse has a year where she works in a hospital. Doctors can be an intern for a year or two afaik. In some ways these are similar in a sense to job-bridge.

At the moment we have a glut of qualified teachers, looking for hours and experience. Yet, the teacher unions will go on about the children they teach and how they are big class rooms, SNA's not being available etc... basically using them as pawns for their own selfish aims.

Jobbridge could be a valuable tool here. The dept of education and the unions could come together and make some arrangement. Imagine what a disadvantaged community could do with extra teachers who could offer one and ones with the most disadvantaged kids to help them read and write.

Multiply that by 100 communities over say a period of 3 years... This would be the greatest education drive the state has seen in the past 30 years and would help hundreds of poor disadvantaged children but Unions are dead set against it for selfish reasons. They will even suspend principles who engage in job bridge even though the people working on the scheme are mature adults who know what they are getting into. Its great that we have a teachers union telling new teachers when they can and can't work....

• Advertisement

I pointed out that even the most menial of tasks that deserve money.....

Your point was that it was legal to hire someone at any age when clearly its not. Again, can a 5 year old be employed by a hotel to wash dishes... yes or no!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

jank wrote: »
    Your point was that it was legal to hire someone at any age when clearly its not. Again, can a 5 year old be employed by a hotel to wash dishes... yes or no!
    Try reading the entire post.

Try reading the entire post.

Fair enough you, concede the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Better than having the other 89k on the live register. :pac:

Which is why it's in existence in the first place and when all the transparent shite talk about "training" is eliminated, it's very easy to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

jank wrote: »
    It is quite simple. If one does not posses the required experience or skills for a job then they do not get that job, someone else with MORE experience will get it. I have been turned down for jobs because someone else was more experienced. **** happens, you just get on with it.
    I wish that was the case all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I went looking for a new place today.

Told the landlord I was planning on living here rent free for 9 months, and if I like the place after that, I might start paying him but there's no guarantee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Is this your logic. Younger people should be forced into slavery. If they dont work for free, we'll see to it that they'll have a 12 month gap on their CV. Viva le jobsbridge!

Get out of this country mate.

Are you telling me to leave? Or advising me for my own benefit? If its the former it seems extremely aggressive and rude.

My point is simple (and actually it isn't 'my' point its just basic economic reality). Employment collapsed, unemployment soared. Young people 18-25 were by the far the most negatively impacted, unemployment figures for that age group reaching around 25%, not to mention the the tens of thousands who migrated, those in prolonged education and underemployment. For some emigration was an option. I lacked the resources to emigrate, I couldn’t save in order to emigrate and my personal life made it virtually impossible to do so even if I somehow had come across the cash. I worked in menial jobs, labouring jobs I tried to be self-employed that worked for a while then dried up. My partner who is the same age as I and did the same undergraduate and masters was rejected from a Tesco because the manager told him ‘how do I know you won’t take a job in your profession in the next week’? Time was ticking on. Before long I wouldn’t just be competing against my classmates I’d be competing with several years of more recent graduates. We had the same qualification only I would also have an enormous gap in my cv and they would be fresh out of college. Gaps on CVs are potentially fatal to ones chances of finding employment, especially in highly competitive fields. So I made the decision to apply for JobBridge after being forced to take part in a Job Club. It was a great decision to make in my circumstances and this is all I meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I went looking for a new place today.

Told the landlord I was planning on living here rent free for 9 months, and if I like the place after that, I might start paying him but there's no guarantee

The LL will get some good experience in dealing with people. Damn Celtic tigers, thinking just because they bought a house they are entitled to being paid money. Thats the entitlement that ruined the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Are you telling me to leave? Or advising me for my own benefit? If its the former it seems extremely aggressive and rude.

My point is simple (and actually it isn't 'my' point its just basic economic reality). Employment collapsed, unemployment soared. Young people 18-25 were by the far the most negatively impacted, unemployment figures for that age group reaching around 25%, not to mention the the tens of thousands who migrated, those in prolonged education and underemployment. For some emigration was an option. I lacked the resources to emigrate, I couldn’t save in order to emigrate and my personal life made it virtually impossible to do so even if I somehow had come across the cash. I worked in menial jobs, labouring jobs I tried to be self-employed that worked for a while then dried up. My partner who is the same age as I and did the same undergraduate and masters was rejected from a Tesco because the manager told him ‘how do I know you won’t take a job in your profession in the next week’? Time was ticking on. Before long I wouldn’t just be competing against my classmates I’d be competing with several years of more recent graduates. We had the same qualification only I would also have an enormous gap in my cv and they would be fresh out of college. Gaps on CVs are potentially fatal to ones chances of finding employment, especially in highly competitive fields. So I made the decision to apply for JobBridge after being forced to take part in a Job Club. It was a great decision to make in my circumstances and this is all I meant.

Gaps on CV's are not fatal. Believe it or not people aren't actually thick. Some employers were aware of a little thing called a recession. Few friends of mine got jobs having never worked in years simply by chatting to an employer and levelling the score.

Secondly, if your strategy of telling the Tesco Manager about your Masters etc failed in getting you a job, did you not think to reapply or apply somewhere else and oh I don't know....give them the impression that weren't intent on leaving? I find that really hard to believe. In fact most chain stores like that have absolutely no problem whatsoever hiring students who could be gone next month. It actually benefits them to not have people in long term employment too. So either you met an idiot manager or you're making that up? Which is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Gaps on CV's are not fatal. Believe it or not people aren't actually thick. Some employers were aware of a little thing called a recession. Few friends of mine got jobs having never worked in years simply by chatting to an employer and levelling the score.

Employers aren't thick they also aren't charities. There are areas in Wales where if you are long term unemployed you have a better chance of dying than you do in finding a job. So gaps in CVs can be fatal in certain circumstances and professions.
    Secondly, if you're strategy of telling the Tesco Manager about your Masters etc failed in getting you job, did you not think to reapply or apply somewhere else and oh I don't know....give them the impression that weren't intent on leaving? I find that really hard to believe. In fact most chain stores like that have absolutely no problem whatsoever hiring students who could be gone next month. It actually benefits them to not have people in long term employment too. So either you met an idiot manager or you're making that up? Which is it?

So much to say...

firstly why the agresssion
    secondly the first half of your paragraph is completely contradicted by the second. Either they want to hire people to leave or they don't which is it?
    thirdly. the partner did look for other work in a call centre. he left that for jobbridge and now the same profession as me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Employers aren't thick they also aren't charities. There are areas in Wales where if you are long term unemployed you have a better chance of dying than you do in finding a job. So gaps in CVs can be fatal in certain circumstances and professions.

So much to say...

secondly the first half of your paragraph is completely contradicted by the second. Either they want to hire people to leave or they don't which is it?
    thirdly. the partner did look for other work in a call centre. he left that for jobbridge and now the same profession as me.

Students with zero hour contracts what do I win ?

Everybody has gaps in their CVs. However, if you have a gap that's about 2 years long, you'll need to do some explaining, or creative thinking.

In Ireland the most important thing an interviewer will look out for is what job you did last and for how long. You're pigeonholed in this country, which is why changing career, or job type, is extremely difficult.

It's also why guff about going to work in Topaz, when you lost your job as a software developer and can't get another job in that field, is absolute nonsense too.

But, the main issue facing job hunters in Ireland is the fact that most companies don't have the first clue how to interview people. Most interviews are simply a set list of mundane questions, to be ticked off as "answered" if the interviewee gives the "right" answer. Interviewers rarely take stock of the actual answer given if it doesn't coincide with the narrow parameters of what they want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Tony EH wrote: »
    But, the main issue facing job hunters in Ireland is the fact that most companies don't have the first clue how to interview people. Most interviews are simply a set list of mundane questions, to be ticked off as "answered" if the interviewee gives the "right" answer. Interviewers rarely take stock of the actual answer given if it doesn't coincide with the narrow parameters of what they want to hear.
    So tell them what they want to hear...

Everything in life is a box ticking exercise, our status in society is accredited by others ticking boxes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

Everything in life is a box ticking exercise, our status in society is accredited by others ticking boxes.

true the whole thing is a game wherein you must somehow may someone or some people happy.

:rolleyes:

Except there are no "right" answers to some questions. Everybody's experience will be different and many answers are perfectly applicable. But, if the interviewer doesn't hear the answer they're waiting for, they consider it "wrong".

That's no way to interview a person for anything.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

Except there are no "right" answers to some questions. Everybody's experience will be different and many answers are perfectly applicable. But, if the interviewer doesn't hear the answer they're waiting for, they consider it "wrong".

That's no way to interview a person for anything.
    You've just answered you own question.

Put yourself into the mind of the HR manager, what answers are they looking for, prepare sample questions beforehand and memorize the answers. don't try to sound too natural, sounding slightly mechanical can be a good thing. because it gives the impression you've been prepping.

FFS,

It's IMPOSSIBLE to know exactly what answers a person is looking to tick off as "correct".

And once again, you're missing the whole point.

There are many correct answers regarding a persons experience. Waiting for one answer when a whole plethora of answer are perfect applicable is no way to conduct an interview.

FFS,

It's IMPOSSIBLE to know exactly what answers a person is looking to tick off as "correct".

And once again, you're missing the whole point.

There are many correct answers regarding a persons experience. Waiting for one answer when a whole plethora of answer are perfect applicable is no way to conduct an interview.
    The only correct answer is the one that will score you points, you're playing a game here not giving your life story.

Once again put yourself into the mind of the HR manager and come up with some sample questions you think they are likely to ask then memorize answers for these questions.

Obviously it's not fool proof but it will improve your chances if you don't go in with the minset of telling your life story.

You may not believe it to be an acceptable way to conduct an interview but they are in the position of power, they have something you want and the best way to get it is to impress them and to do that you have to play by their rules.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

i would have to agree with iwasfrozen with regards the interviews. they are akin to dates. you are trying to impress the person on the other side of the table.

people are emotional and they will want to feel good emotionally (the interviewer) during the interview and date. a lot of these things are ticking boxes games. politicians and sales reps (the wolf of wall street) do the same. they attack your psychological vulnerability and make you feel good emotionally.

is the same when a bloke walks up to a girl in night club and tries to seduce her. its all about ticking the right boxes that make her feel good.

I wonder are Madcon and Iwasfrozen one of the same ;)

Xenji wrote: »
    I wonder are Madcon and Iwasfrozen one of the same ;)
    If you think it report it rather than posting in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

So much to say...

Would you mind sticking to Ireland please as per the thread and not Wales. You're getting confused enough as it is. I've no idea what your charity comment is in reference to. Yes they are not charities, well done. They are businesses and as such should be paying the people they employ a wage. Well done on agreeing with me and that jobsbridge is wrong for this economy.

The only correct answer is the one that will score you points, you're playing a game here not giving your life story.

Once again put yourself into the mind of the HR manager and come up with some sample questions you think they are likely to ask then memorize answers for these questions.

Obviously it's not fool proof but it will improve your chances if you don't go in with the minset of telling your life story.

You may not believe it to be an acceptable way to conduct an interview but they are in the position of power, they have something you want and the best way to get it is to impress them and to do that you have to play by their rules.

Again. You're missing the point.

If you think it report it rather than posting in the thread.

Oh yes almighty backseat mod, you must of missed the joke.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Seen one today for paper packaging operative in a paper/cardboard packaging business. They supply paper and cardboard to the catering and furniture businesses.

The intern will gain experience handling paper and cardboard manufacturing different products (I googled their business, you'll be making pizza boxes), health and safety, same old spiel of working in a team.

Pretty sure health and safety is the responsibility of every employer...that's a given regardless where you go. Why they put that down as if they are doing the intern a big favour.

Learn some skills in a paper manufacturing facility and off with you to find a paid job after six months with your new learnt skills.

And what are the chances there will be another paper manufacturing facilities in your location that will require your new skills.

Advertisement