Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

The intern will gain experience handling paper and cardboard

Bosco taught me everything I need to know when I was 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

It's only for people on the dole, though.
    So people on the dole are to ignore things that are for them?

I would agree the dairy farmer might suit someone that is interested in it or is in the area but again, I'd argue that it might not need nine months. I have feck all clue about farming. But it could go either way, really. We'd need someone in here expeirenced to tell us if it's worth nine months or not.

I'd imagine that whoever is offering this is ideally looking for someone who has gone to an agricultural college and gained at level 6 in dairy herd management. So this candidate would already have had a considerable practical component to their course.
    Or maybe they will take a person with no experience at all. Which might seem like a great opportunity but presuming this is some random farmer offering the position, who's to say he knows best practice regarding breeding, health and care of cattle etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Employers aren't thick they also aren't charities.

The 'charitable' employer can apply for grants of about 7.5K-10k cash for employing someone who was long term unemployed for 30 hours a week or more. Is the training for new employees really costing the employer that much for assembly line jobs?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/employment_support_schemes/jobsplus.html

If you look at the US, they define an internship based on the following categories.

If any one of the categories are not met, then the intern can claim backpay of minimum wage.
    There are some circumstances under which individuals who participate in “for-profit” private sector internships or training programs may do so without compensation. The Supreme Court has held that the term "suffer or permit to work" cannot be interpreted so as to make a person whose work serves only his or her own interest an employee of another who provides aid or instruction. This may apply to interns who receive training for their own educational benefit if the training meets certain criteria. The determination of whether an internship or training program meets this exclusion depends upon all of the facts and circumstances of each such program.

The following six criteria must be applied when making this determination:
    The internship, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment;
    The internship experience is for the benefit of the intern;
    The intern does not displace regular employees, but works under close supervision of existing staff;
    The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded;
    The intern is not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship; and
    The employer and the intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship

Many of these jobsbridge posts rapidly become unsupervised and training is only from on-the-job trial and error. At this point they are not internships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

ressem wrote: »
    The 'charitable' employer can apply for grants of about 7.5K-10k cash for employing someone who was long term unemployed for 30 hours a week or more. Is the training for new employees really costing the employer that much for assembly line jobs?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/employment_support_schemes/jobsplus.html

I am fully aware of that provision, a colleague of mine in my permanent job who was a jobbridge intern found only one employer persuaded by that benefit. In any case the fact that the Government has offered such substantial incentives to take on the long term unemployed only serves to highlight the validity of my point.

I am fully aware of that provision, a colleague of mine in my permanent job who was a jobbridge intern found only one employer persuaded by that benefit. In any case the fact that the Government has offered such substantial incentives to take on the long term unemployed only serves to highlight the validity of my point.

What's with your username? :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Mint Aero wrote: »
    What's with your username? :confused::confused:

My username dates from a period of time when I was stuck applying for JobBridges, very depressed and beginning to despair that this was the best I could hope for. Fortunately I was wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

My username dates from a period of time when I was stuck applying for JobBridges, very depressed and beginning to despair that this was the best I could hope for. Fortunately I was wrong.

Did life pick up for you?

jobbridge4life.no2 here.

Its quite sad when you have a personal progression plan to work on from fas and told to contact employers about the possibility of a jobbridge position. And they aren't interested.

Then whatever few jobbridge positions that are going, its me and everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Has anyone here heard about the new First Steps programme starting in April? Basically a mandatory Jobbridge for people under 25. Apologies if it's been posted before, I searched and couldn't find anything.

Jade182 wrote: »
    Has anyone here heard about the new First Steps programme starting in April? Basically a mandatory Jobbridge for people under 25. Apologies if it's been posted before, I searched and couldn't find anything.

It seems as if internships will not be publicly advertised.

The department of social protection selects candidates and refers them to interviews with organisations that have offered internships before.

That's information I got from the citizens information website. If that doesn't scream abuse, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

It seems as if internships will not be publicly advertised.

Does this apply to all internships?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

hmm I wonder how many "internships" will be in the local government, councils schools hospitals and all that.

Does this apply to all internships?

No, the new thing above its called First Steps Programme. For people under the age of 25.

I don't know how it works, but if internships aren't advertised on the jobbridge website, how are they going to create such a position? It seems as if the department of slavery are going to be contacting employers or something.

No, the new thing above its called First Steps Programme. For people under the age of 25.

I don't know how it works, but if internships aren't advertised on the jobbridge website, how are they going to create such a position? It seems as if the department of slavery are going to be contacting employers or something.

Yeah that's what I understood from the reading I've been doing about it. They canvass employers to find those wiling to take on a First Steps intern..then they refer the intern for interview with the employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

So the department are going to take responsibility for determining if a candidate is suitable or not to be put forward for interview?

Or will there even be interviews? Just work where you're put?

bjork wrote: »
    So the department are going to take responsibility for determining if a candidate is suitable or not to be put forward for interview?

A quick read on the welfare site on the first steps programme. They select three candidates for each position and send them for interview. And then its up to the host organisation to choose their intern.

bjork wrote: »

Below is the link to the details on the Citizens Information page:
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/youth-development-internship.aspx

"Careful selection of candidates who are suitably prepared and capable of participation in First Steps - Youth Development Internship – selection will be from cohorts who have either already completed preparation courses or programmes and are ready to make the transition to a supported internship but are not yet ready for a standard JobBridge internship or full employment."

I'm confused about this. I thought Jobbridge was supposed to be entry level internships for people with not enough experience to land a job. Why this seperate programme?

That is the most mollycoddling cotton wool drivel I've read in my life. F*ck 'em into the work place, be grand like it was in EVERY OTHER generation before this f*cked up EU bureaucrat state took off.

"Careful selection of candidates who are suitably prepared and capable of participation in First Steps - Youth Development Internship – selection will be from cohorts who have either already completed preparation courses or programmes and are ready to make the transition to a supported internship but are not yet ready for a standard JobBridge internship or full employment."

I'm confused about this. I thought Jobbridge was supposed to be entry level internships for people with not enough experience to land a job. Why this seperate programme?

Goodness!
    preparation course
    Pre-job bridge internship
    Job-bridge internship

Real Job?

That's a lot of preparation to get to job bridge standard

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Jesus what the fck are they aiming for rocket scientists or something? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

First steps is sounding like what jobridge was meant to be.

6-9months in this and then another 6-9 months on jobridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yeah JB seems wholly redundant when contrasted to the former. It's baffling tbh.

I was actually thinking that myself. If they just applied the structure from this to Jobbridge it might be a bit better for applicants since it's more hands-on. The fact that it's a four-day working week, leaving one day for genuine jobseeking, would also be good to apply to Jobbridge.

I just don't understand why it needs to be separate. I know they had far less Jobbridge applicants last year than they anticipated but if they just overhauled Jobbridge instead of making a mandatory second internship programme, they might be better off in the long run...

Turtwig wrote: »
    Yeah JB seems wholly redundant when contrasted to the former. It's baffling tbh.

From my understanding, they appoint a care worker with First Steps? or they liaise with care workers? I'm not totally clear on where these care workers are coming from.

And a similar aged mentor buddy- who I presume will also be jobbridge :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

That is the most mollycoddling cotton wool drivel I've read in my life. F*ck 'em into the work place, be grand like it was in EVERY OTHER generation before this f*cked up EU bureaucrat state took off.

Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Turtwig wrote: »
    I was actually thinking that myself. If they just applied the structure from this to Jobbridge it might be a bit better for applicants since it's more hands-on. The fact that it's a four-day working week, leaving one day for genuine jobseeking, would also be good to apply to Jobbridge.

I just don't understand why it needs to be separate. I know they had far less Jobbridge applicants last year than they anticipated but if they just overhauled Jobbridge instead of making a mandatory second internship programme, they might be better off in the long run...

Exactly, just rework jobridge a bit and youve got the same thing, a better jobridge. I will not be surprised if people start being moved to jobridge at the end of their first steps 9 months.

Now we have the EU highlighting the mess labour refuses to acknowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

This is simply unreal.

How is anyone stupid enough to believe people are that gullible.

Exactly, just rework jobridge a bit and youve got the same thing, a better jobridge. I will not be surprised if people start being moved to jobridge at the end of their first steps 9 months.

Now we have the EU highlighting the mess labour refuses to acknowledge.

Wouldn't surprise me either, its even written in their whole scheme. Experience before a jobbridge.

So 9 months of a first steps
    +
    So you can do 9 months of a real jobbridge
    +
    followed by another 9 months jobbridge
    =27 months of internships.

Exactly, just rework jobridge a bit and youve got the same thing, a better jobridge.

Yeah exactly. I'm eligible to do both Jobbridge and First Steps. But I'm a graduate with a few years work experience, and First Steps seems to describe itself as being for people with little education/experience so not sure if it's really suitable for me.

I'm applying to do Jobbridge while I search for genuine work, but now I'm thinking how much more appealing it would be for me if it had some of the aspects of First Steps.

Even just that 4 day working week; searching and applying for work is almost a job in itself, having that extra day to sit down and write up cover letters and scour job sites would be a major help. It might make people more favourable towards Jobbridge with 4 days, you'd feel less like the office slave and more like an actual jobseeking intern.

I'm a graduate with a few years work experience

Don't sell yourself short. I haven't read your other posts about it but jeez there's no reason you can't waltz into a real job if you're a graduate with experience. The UK is next door, go there for a real job and come back after year....anything but jobsbridge...

• Advertisement

Don't sell yourself short. I haven't read your other posts about it but jeez there's no reason you can't waltz into a real job if you're a graduate with experience. The UK is next door, go there for a real job and come back after year....anything but jobsbridge...

Unfortunately though I have experience, I'm simply not standing out to employers enough (a lot of my experience is from shop jobs during college/school) to get my foot in the door.

Jobbridge is what's left to me as an option to build up relevant experience. First Steps seems to be for folk who have never held a job and need assistance getting into the mindset of a working life, which is why I don't think it's quite right for me.

Advertisement