Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

First steps is sounding like what jobridge was meant to be.

6-9months in this and then another 6-9 months on jobridge?

Just keeps people in slave labour for longer.

1. First steps bollocks.

2. Jobbridge bollocks.

3. If no job offer, repeat step 1.

Absolute joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Coming straight out of college, alot of courses has got work experience as part of their courses. Is that not work and experience.

But now they need preparation for the workforce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

Are there any figures to show what percentage of Job bridge interns have successfully obtained employment with the company they did the internship with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

SPM1959 wrote: »
    Are there any figures to show what percentage of Job bridge interns have successfully obtained employment with the company they did the internship with?

Nope only massaged ones to do with people getting jobs after doing a jobbridge. As technically you have a 100% chance to get a job after doing a jobbridge if you wait long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Nope only massaged ones to do with people getting jobs after doing a jobbridge. As technically you have a 100% chance to get a job after doing a jobbridge if you wait long enough.

The figures measure employment within 3 months of the end of Jobbridge afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I think they have a number for people after 6 months of completing which is around 60% and another for people who get a job at the end or something which is at 30% although Im less sure about that number. Its been linked here before, somewhere.

EDIT: http://www.thejournal.ie/38-per-cent-of-jobbridge-interns-go-into-full-time-jobs-460909-May2012/
    38% of people get a job with either the host company or elsewhere. I wonder what wrong with the majority of people that they arent keeping on but needed 9 months to figure out if it wasnt working out.

EDIT2: http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/indecon-report-on-evaluation-of-jobbridge.pdf
    Thats the report with all the details for anyone who wishes to do a bit of reading.

Also I think these are numbers for people who complete the internship. Not sure how the numbers look with people who drop out. Its possible most are finding work and leaving but then that suggests 9 months is longer than needed.

MouseTail wrote: »
    The figures measure employment within 3 months of the end of Jobbridge afaik.

Nope, 6/9 and all that have been used. it's all spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

So, how many of the Jobbridge shills (or their parents) are going to avail of this load of bollocks? They'll be laughing all the way to their Cayman Islands bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

If you have just spend years & money attending a third level institution to gain a third level qualification then.....that is your training! Good courses will have on the job training/placement as part of their course.
    Now you are ready for entry level position in your industry, not Jobsbridge. I can't understand why a person would work 9 months for little money, that's another university year of your life gone. If you are at your wits end, an internship in UK is about 3 months and is paid, maybe quicker way to get experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

If you have just spend years & money attending a third level institution to gain a third level qualification then.....that is your training! Good courses will have on the job training/placement as part of their course.
    Now you are ready for entry level position in your industry, not Jobsbridge. I can't understand why a person would work 9 months for little money, that's another university year of your life gone. If you are at your wits end, an internship in UK is about 3 months and is paid, maybe quicker way to get experience.

I didn't have time to do work experience placements or training (unpaid) as part of my course as I was working part-time to fund my studies already. Even if I had done it, employers are asking for several years of industry experience for most non-retail positions that I can see (placements are usually only during the summer or a couple of months).

Moving to the UK for an internship isn't possible when you can currently only afford to live at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Nope, 6/9 and all that have been used. it's all spin.

Of course the figures are skewed. They aren't revealing the true figures. Whether its those working part-time, on jobbridge and on CE schemes more or less saying they are employed so removed from unemployment figures to make the government and figures look better. Due to emigration they stating there is less unemployment, less on live register figures to do this, people have emigrated due to not enough jobs/pay to keep them here in Ireland.

The government needs to do more to keep people in Ireland and highlight investment in jobs. The rural Ireland documentary last night was proof of that!

Athenry is meant to have a new Apple company to be built whether that be true or not and help in the future its hard to know. Wouldn't surprise me if new set ups like this end up hiring more jobbridge candidates over paying them? Which is the norm at the moment in new start up's. Cadburys has let people go but that is down to changes in lifestyle on behalf of the public but at the same time, people/kids still have chocolate. Is there much hope for 20's and 30's somethings anymore?

More competition the harder it is to find a job its easier to be in one to find another but circumstances vary from person to person.
    Basically jobbridge is replacing real paying jobs. They need to improve conditions and policy for jobbridge, monitor it better or introduce a standard minimum wage. Financially jobbridge is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I did Jobbridge twice, the first time because there was so little jobs and the second time because it suited me that time and I needed to work in a specific sector in order to get the job I am in now.

Funnily enough, I had call from my last JB boss saying that he can't get anyone with experience to take on the role - I said to him has he advertised it as a paid role and he said no, I can't afford that. I told him, just hire someone out of college and train them up. No, he needs someone with experience because he hasn't got himself.

Here is the biggest problem with jobbridge, people are allowed advertise roles that they have no internal expertise in and they can't provide any meaningful training. If you want a web developer, you should be able to train them yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Lux23 wrote: »
    I did Jobbridge twice, the first time because there was so little jobs and the second time because it suited me that time and I needed to work in a specific sector in order to get the job I am in now.

Funnily enough, I had call from my last JB boss saying that he can't get anyone with experience to take on the role - I said to him has he advertised it as a paid role and he said no, I can't afford that. I told him, just hire someone out of college and train them up. No, he needs someone with experience because he hasn't got himself.

Here is the biggest problem with jobbridge, people are allowed advertise roles that they have no internal expertise in and they can't provide any meaningful training. If you want a web developer, you should be able to train them yourself.

Why would someone with experience work in a jobsbridge sheme?

That's the abuse of the system, Technically you have to provide a mentor with the relevant experience. But JB only checks up after you have left.

Came across a jobbridge position yesterday as a cleaner. A cleaner. That should be a paid role cause it doesn't take 6/9 months to learn cleaning skills.

Came across a jobbridge position yesterday as a cleaner. A cleaner. That should be a paid role cause it doesn't take 6/9 months to learn cleaning skills.

Not if it's called architectural quality control supervisor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Not if it's called architectural quality control supervisor.

The "First Steps" part of the training is as a hygiene technician :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Did life pick up for you?

jobbridge4life.no2 here.

Its quite sad when you have a personal progression plan to work on from fas and told to contact employers about the possibility of a jobbridge position. And they aren't interested.

Then whatever few jobbridge positions that are going, its me and everyone else.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Yes life did pick up and thankfully I can say that my username has proved less than prophetic. I did my JobBridge knowing the organisation could not take me on but I did get taken on by another similar organisation and received a job offer for another proper full time job/life long career.

JobBridge can work, I am not remotely suggesting that it always does or will but it can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I recall seeing one for a position in a chip shop in Lahinch just before last summer.

I recall seeing one for a position in a chip shop in Lahinch just before last summer.

I remember that too.

Coming into summer, there will be loads of jobbridges but was once summer jobs in the good times.

• Advertisement

Sorry for the delay in responding. Yes life did pick up and thankfully I can say that my username has proved less than prophetic. I did my JobBridge knowing the organisation could not take me on but I did get taken on by another similar organisation and received a job offer for another proper full time job/life long career.

JobBridge can work, I am not remotely suggesting that it always does or will but it can.

Why do you need to do a course now to teach you how to do an unpaid internship. That's saying as a collage grad you are not trained enough to receive training in your field you need training to do training.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I've seen the Jobbridge scheme work really well, and be abused. Both by the same company.

The first was when my ex (bf at the time) was just finishing up his MA and was having a very hard time finding something. A girl from HR in my company asked in passing what he was up to and mentioned the position. He got it and worked his b****x off for 6 months, at which point they made him perm with a respectable salary (more than I was on at the time). His boss was an absolute star who was extremely fond of him and wanted to see him do well.

The second time, a girl in the same office (different position, different boss) was left for the full 9 months before being told she was being given a job. Her boss was an asshole who only realized how screwed they were going to be when she left a week before it was up.

It can work very well, but it needs to be managed to carefully. And it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I saw how the new First Steps programme will be introduced in Councils today, they will be doing less than the Jobbridge interns do, which is not much in the first place, and will have to have their hours padded out as there is only so much filing to be done.

Most will just be sitting around surfing the web or reading the paper, had an intern today whose case worker had told him to stay away from public service jobs as they are some of the most misleading internships around, something I can and have in this thread readily attested to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Xenji wrote: »
    I saw how the new First Steps programme will be introduced in Councils today, they will be doing less than the Jobbridge interns do, which is not much in the first place, and will have to have their hours padded out as there is only so much filing to be done.

Most will just be sitting around surfing the web or reading the paper, had an intern today whose case worker had told him to stay away from public service jobs as they are some of the most misleading internships around, something I can and have in this thread readily attested to.

Any idea if the plan is to promote them to jobridge intern after the 9 months of first steps?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Why would someone with experience work in a jobsbridge sheme?

Because I wanted something to do every day? Plus it's easier to get a job when you appear to have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Am I supposed to fit in my degree before or after the first steps program?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

That's the abuse of the system, Technically you have to provide a mentor with the relevant experience. But JB only checks up after you have left.

It is up to the intern to complain to their JB supervisor if they are not given a mentor, especially if the placed advert says mentor provided for training.

It's up to the person to make sure they are given training if it is specifically stated on the job. If they do not have a mentor or training for you then you make a complaint, that should sort it all out.

bjork wrote: »
    Am I supposed to fit in my degree before or after the first steps program?

Why bother getting one, Apparently it does not qualify you to do the job anyway. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

It is up to the intern to complain to their JB supervisor if they are not given a mentor, especially if the placed advert says mentor provided for training.

It's up to the person to make sure they are given training if it is specifically stated on the job. If they do not have a mentor or training for you then you make a complaint, that should sort it all out.

In reality depsnt work like that....my mate left an internship over repeated instinsences like this...contacted job bridge crowd,the boss of the company etc....never heard nothing...only it'll be sorted ....left after four months and had absolute hell to get back on the dole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Excellent point. There are sooooo many marketing internships out there (usually social media or salesy type stuff) but it will be with, like, a corner shop or plumbing business or whatever. These places aren't going to be able to give you a good training in marketing, because it's not their primary business. These businesses actually need to hire an experienced marketing professional but they don't want to, so hire an inexperienced person who is interested in the field but because they have little to no relevant experience, they won't be much good probably, but probably good enough for a small business, I guess. It doesn't really aid the person looking for good experience though.

Advertisement