Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Hermy wrote: »
    As if it couldn't get any worse...

Thanks for the comedy strategic lettering bolding, worked very well. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Wash cars??? didn't we all wash cars as kids to get some money off our parents?

At least your folks were willing to pay you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah the car valeting jobbridge internships pop up very regularly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I voted for F.G last time, mad with myself now, however bad F.F were they never condoned slave labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Hermy wrote: »
    As if it couldn't get any worse...
    probably stick a brush up his aaaa and sweep the forecourt as he fills the arab water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I voted for F.G last time, mad with myself now, however bad F.F were they never condoned slave labour.

Nope, they just put the country in the $hitter (for the 3rd time since Independence) such that some people now have to sign up for these poxy schemes. Sure vote FF next year then, what's the worst that could happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Someone doesn't want to be a van driver or a shop assistant or work in a hotel for an extra €50. Then don't apply, stay on the basic dole. The latest research shows that 45% of the placements have never been filled. This is what I have been saying all along. Instead of trying to design legislation to outlaw some employers from the scheme (legally well nigh impossible IMO) just let the system regulate itself, which it always has. And no need either for a whole system of vetting of each individual advertisement to see if it meets certain criteria.

The reseach proves that there is no compulsion on the unemployed to take up Jobbridge. There never could be anyway with 163,000 long term on the dole and about 2,000 Jobbridge vacancies at any given time and the scheme capped at 8,500.

http://www.youth.ie/JobBridge

•45% of the 65,686 JobBridge positions advertised have never been filled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yawn, more rehashed bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Someone doesn't want to be a van driver or a shop assistant or work in a hotel for an extra €50. Then don't apply, stay on the basic dole. The latest research shows that 45% of the placements have never been filled. This is what I have been saying all along. Instead of trying to design legislation to outlaw some employers from the scheme (legally well nigh impossible IMO) just let the system regulate itself, which it always has. And no need either for a whole system of vetting of each individual advertisement to see if it meets certain criteria.

The reseach proves that there is no compulsion on the unemployed to take up Jobbridge. There never could be anyway with 163,000 long term on the dole and about 2,000 Jobbridge vacancies at any given time and the scheme capped at 8,500.

You make a very valid point however there is one gap in your analysis. Some of these jobs that are advertising for jobsbridge possibly could and would offer paid employment if jobsbridge was not in existence.
    As it is these low paid and low skilled jobs which in the past did offer something to people who were not university grads or technical staff or skilled tradesmen are now being used to benefit the employer solely.
    I have no problem with internships that are truly beneficial. Petrol pump attendants, sandwich makers and other such like jobs are exploitative however and they should be excluded from the scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Maybe check the facts on that one under 25 cant refuse. And people not wanting a gap in the old CV does not make any of these ahem internships valid or useful. When did internship meaning change it's supposed to be for high end White collar roles. Not sandwich making. You know law firms high end marketing, stock exchange.

Maybe check the facts on that one under 25 cant refuse. And people not wanting a gap in the old CV does not make any of these ahem internships valid or useful. When did internship meaning change it's supposed to be for high end White collar roles. Not sandwich making. You know law firms high end marketing, stock exchange.

I suppose the Jobbridge shills will take the briefest of glances at your post before loudly singing "LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU, LA LA LA LA SUBMIT TO THE WILL OF THE MARKET!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I suppose the Jobbridge shills will take the briefest of glances at your post before loudly singing "LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU, LA LA LA LA SUBMIT TO THE WILL OF THE MARKET!"

If only we had a freer labour market. Rules and regulation are one of the reasons why there is such high youth unemployment so government have to create such schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Where can I check that "fact"? It's a very strange "fact" when 29,387 Jobbridge positions were never filled.

Even stranger, when there were 48,524 under 25's on the Live Register last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Whats this new one I'm hearing about from my flatmate, I don't think its Jobbridge but he is currently signing on, he has to attend this course for 30 weeks Monday - Friday 8.30 am - 4.30 pm in Mervue in Galway, its seems to be a compulsory thing thats just been introduced. Anyone heard of this and sorry for going off topic slightly.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Whats this new one I'm hearing about from my flatmate, I don't think its Jobbridge but he is currently signing on, he has to attend this course for 30 weeks Monday - Friday 8.30 am - 4.30 pm in Mervue in Galway, its seems to be a compulsory thing thats just been introduced. Anyone heard of this and sorry for going off topic slightly.

Jobsbridge for slow learners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is probably the First Steps or Jobs Plus Youth, both new schemes launched tho year, the First Steps scheme is basically another JobBridge under a different name and is mandatory for those under 23 I think.

jank wrote: »
    If only we had a freer labour market. Rules and regulation are one of the reasons why there is such high youth unemployment so government have to create such schemes.

Those dastardly workers' rights, restraining us from going back to the early 20th century.

• Advertisement

Those dastardly workers' rights, restraining us from going back to the early 20th century.

Well I can see you are prepared to engage in this topic seriously. Anyway, just look across the euro zone and look at what countries have the highest youth unemployment. The one thing they have in common is huge regulations and restrictions on the labour market which makes hiring an employee prohibitively costly in terms of taxes, paper work and rules one must adhere to. Italy and France are prime examples of this. But sure its easier to blame the well trust free market bogey man.

I'd say the poor credit environment across the PIGS would have something to do with it, and also that youth unemployment figures do not account for "inactive" members of the youth workforce, i.e. full-time students.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

i wrote one of the ones that came up in this thread. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

Another van driver

Description

The intern will gain practical experience in delivering goods, dealing with and building relationships with existing customers and gaining valuable experience in product knowledge. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following; product knowledge, customer service and delivery procedures. They will be accompanied by a staff member and learn from them. On completion the intern will have attained skills in van driving, delivery of goods, product knowledge and communication skills.

Moral of the story you will gain experience in delivering stuff

I'd say the poor credit environment across the PIGS would have something to do with it, and also that youth unemployment figures do not account for "inactive" members of the youth workforce, i.e. full-time students.

France for example has had systemic issues with this for the past 20 years. Its very well documented and known. In fact go over there and try and live there. The amount of paper work for simple things like opening a bank account is crazy never mind rules prohibiting work, all in the name of 'workers rights' of course.... Well I suppose an unemployed person can just suck it up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Benteke wrote: »
    Another van driver

Description

The intern will gain practical experience in delivering goods, dealing with and building relationships with existing customers and gaining valuable experience in product knowledge. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following; product knowledge, customer service and delivery procedures. They will be accompanied by a staff member and learn from them. On completion the intern will have attained skills in van driving, delivery of goods, product knowledge and communication skills.

Moral of the story you will gain experience in delivering stuff

And product knowledge, don't forget product knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Property Maintenance Person/Gardener
    Michael Guiry Auctioneers - Waterford City
    The intern will gain practical experience in the upkeep and maintenance of property exterior and common areas, grass cutting and light litter picking. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: gardening and property maintenance, the use gardening and grass cutting tools will be required. On completion the intern will have attained skills in property maintenance and gardening, communication, organisational and will learn to work under their own initiative. [+]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Would this be good if I wanted to get experience in gardening? It doesnt say if it is or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It translates as you will be given a mower, a pair of gloves and a bag and then will be left to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

It translates as you will be given a mower, a pair of gloves and a bag and then will be left to it.
    Could be good for someone who wants to start up a landscaping business.

Advertisement