Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Could be good for someone who wants to start up a landscaping business.

Because having been in receipt of SW for some time, they would have built up enough funds to start said business?

C'mon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Smidge wrote: »
    Because having been in receipt of SW for some time, they would have built up enough funds to start said business?

C'mon.....
    Being on SW is the perfect time to start up a business for someone who always wanted to.

In fact there are back to work enterprise allowances only available for a person who was on social welfare, there are people you can talk to to bounce ideas off and you can keep your social welfare payment for the first year of your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Being on SW is the perfect time to start up a business for someone who always wanted to.

In fact there are back to work enterprise allowances only available for a person who was on social welfare, there are people you can talk to to bounce ideas off and you can keep your social welfare payment for the first year of your business.

All you need then is capital??
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There is some truth in that alright if you can scrimp and save while collecting, but its a scandal that the Back to Work payment is only available if you are signing for at least 12 months and then submit a business plan that passes muster. Its almost like they want to make it as long winded as possible.

Ah sure that's what the scrimping is for!

Of course, a small amount to start up and when the person grows they can reinvest their profits back into the business.

There is a grant available for capital too, http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_and_work/back_to_work_enterprise_allowance.html

2,500 in a 24 mount may not be enough to cover all the costs but it is a help, especially since the person can also keep their social welfare payments for 2 years.

• Advertisement

Ah sure that's what the scrimping is for!
    Well Christ you can't expect them to give you everything!

If a person is thinking of starting a business I'd expect them to have some money saved up to finance it!

If a person is thinking of starting a business I'd expect them to have some money saved up to finance it!

You get up to €1000 euro(that doesnt mean you GET €1000 btw and its disingenuous to say you get 2.5k as you either get the business equipment €1000 OR the tools €1000 ) for business equipment....
    I would say you would be hard pressed to get either a van, or a car with trailer, ride on mower(or a decent petrol mower, but there wouldnt be much sense in buying one of those for commercial purposes),strimmers, clippers, shears. blowers, gardening tools ie rakes, spades etc

If you can get all of the above for under a grand for commercial use, you can solve the economy...

You get up to €1000 euro(that doesnt mean you GET €1000 btw and its disingenuous to say you get 2.5k as you either get the business equipment €1000 OR the tools €1000 ) for business equipment....
    I would say you would be hard pressed to get either a van, or a car with trailer, ride on mower(or a decent petrol mower, but there wouldnt be much sense in buying one of those for commercial purposes),strimmers, clippers, shears. blowers, gardening tools ie rakes, spades etc

If you can get all of the above for under a grand for commercial use, you can solve the economy...
    No you can get a combination not in excess of 2.5k.

When did I ever claim you could get all the following for that amount of money? I said three things.

One:

Implying the experience and contacts made would be useful.

Two:

Three:

That's what I said. If you want to have a moanfest because the government won't hand you your livelihood on a plate I'm not the person to have it with.

No you can get a combination not in excess of 2.5k.

When did I ever claim you could get all the following for that amount of money? I said three things.

One:

Implying the experience and contacts made would be useful.

Two:

Three:

That's what I said. If you want to have a moanfest because the government won't hand you your livelihood on a plate I'm not the person to have it with.

No need to blow a gasket :)

I think you know that there is no way you could start a landscaping business on that money, I was just pulling you up on that fact.
    Its silly to suggest you could. And that anyone in receipt of SW would have the funds to do so. So that's that.

I dont want anyone to hand anyone a living, but by the same token I cannot abide the exploitation of people under this scheme.
    It is NOT a way out of SW.
    It simply provides human fodder for employers to work for free so that THEIR business prospers and their pockets get filled.

I dont need classes to tell me that that is morally and socially wrong.

If they had the funds to set up the business, they would have done so and not ended up on the dole queue.

• Advertisement

No need to blow a gasket :)

I think you know that there is no way you could start a landscaping business on that money, I was just pulling you up on that fact.
    Its silly to suggest you could. And that anyone in receipt of SW would have the funds to do so. So that's that.

I dont want anyone to hand anyone a living, but by the same token I cannot abide the exploitation of people under this scheme.
    It is NOT a way out of SW.
    It simply provides human fodder for employers to work for free so that THEIR business prospers and their pockets get filled.

I dont need classes to tell me that that is morally and socially wrong.
    Fair enough, I respect your view but I disagree. Internships are an excellent way for junior staff to gain experience in the field they want to work in. It can be very beneficial provided it isn't some micky mouse internship like Subway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It translates as you will be given a mower, a pair of gloves and a bag and then will be left to it.

That only takes 3 days training for people doing the Gateway scheme.

Fair enough, I respect your view but I disagree. Internships are an excellent way for junior staff to gain experience in the field they want to work in. It can be very beneficial provided it isn't some micky mouse internship like Subway.

I totally agree with this but sadly the vast majority of this scheme is this sort of thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...Internships are an excellent way for junior staff to gain experience in the field they want to work in...

Internships are an excellent way to provide relevant experience to people pursuing professional careers.
    In this case you would be on litter duty in the field!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

0%
    I totally agree with this but sadly the vast majority of this scheme is this sort of thing.

Vast majority? 70% 80% 90% or more? Where are you getting this information please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Most businesses worldwide you will find were started by people with little or nothing and worked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Most businesses worldwide you will find were started by people with little or nothing and worked up.

Do you have anything to back up that fairly significant claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

jank wrote: »
    Well I can see you are prepared to engage in this topic seriously. Anyway, just look across the euro zone and look at what countries have the highest youth unemployment. The one thing they have in common is huge regulations and restrictions on the labour market which makes hiring an employee prohibitively costly in terms of taxes, paper work and rules one must adhere to. Italy and France are prime examples of this. But sure its easier to blame the well trust free market bogey man.

The successful ones provide training. That Fas / Solas spends a billion on, but fails to provide employable skills in too many areas.

Has that new apprenticeship council produced anything at all of value?
    Seems stuffed full of the same old organisations that have failing the youth in the past whether through being cheap with training, protectionist, excluding new entrants, or no concept on how to recreate a functioning mentoring system from what might as well be scratch.

Probably be better off asking the Germans to open a branch of their apprenticeship system here. Even taught through German it would give the youth more opportunities than the irish system.

Or it's using state money to replace payments by the auctioneer to existing landscapers.

You may be excessively valuing a contact book full of skinflints.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

The Niece wrote: »
    Boyfriend finished up his contract in a well known supermarket because 'there was no more work'

The next week, a load of people started on jobbridge

I hate Jobbridge

These companies should be named and shamed. Give People the choice with their Money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

jezko wrote: »
    These companies should be named and shamed. Give People the choice with their Money.

You would need a whole pull out supplement in a paper to name and shame them all, host organisations that know full well that they are not allowed to hire staff at the end of an internship are still allowed to use the scheme, we even get new interns now to come in a week early, so that the departing intern can teach them what they had been doing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

If companies are to get free labour for six to nine months, they should know the process. Its available online, step by step.

I was delighted to be accepted onto a jobbridge position. But piggy in the middle here is being told that a form is needed from the host organisation. They don't have it and they are saying social welfare has it. Host organisation has taken on someone before. I'm beginning to think its easier to blame the social welfare if they want to back track. Especially since an email went ignored.

Another place wanted a two day trial. But the position wasn't advertised on the official site, they were looking for a jobbridge intern. They knew the process as there was a link to the intern's eligibility for jobbridge. Do a two day trial, only to be told to fcuk right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

That's mad! Not fair really to be expected to do a trial and then be told to go away.

A two day trial as part of a jobbridge interview. 6 or 9 months isn't enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

A two day trial as part of a jobbridge interview. 6 or 9 months isn't enough.

This is beyond ridiculous now!!!! I had a similar experience about a year ago.

One job bridge I applied to responded to my application telling me prior to the interview I had complete the following tasks. One was to design a presentation pack/handbook targeting Senior level in MSWord. It had to be suitable for publishing using the following criteria which turned out to include a list of services they provided. The other was to do up a Powerpoint presentation to accompany it, using extra criteria. I declined to participate and she emailed me a few times asking to reconsider. If she was in front of me I would have slapped her.

She wanted me to do work and give her design ideas for free before an interview where I could end up working for her for 9months for free.

Daenarys wrote: »
    This is beyond ridiculous now!!!! I had a similar experience about a year ago.

One job bridge I applied to responded to my application telling me prior to the interview I had complete the following tasks. One was to design a presentation pack/handbook targeting Senior level in MSWord. It had to be suitable for publishing using the following criteria which turned out to include a list of services they provided. The other was to do up a Powerpoint presentation to accompany it, using extra criteria. I declined to participate and she emailed me a few times asking to reconsider. If she was in front of me I would have slapped her.

She wanted me to do work and give her design ideas for free before an interview where I could end up working for her for 9months for free.

Do you mind me asking, have you gotten something employment-wise since?

Do you mind me asking, have you gotten something employment-wise since?

You sound as if you're putting down the poster.

How many people applied for this jobbridge position? How many free ideas for the company? This is before any position offered. Not to mention the fact slaves are to walk in and be as thick as a brick and be mentored, and the company is asking for work before any internship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I actually prefer reading this thread than the Dumb/Great Facebook one.
    Ah Ireland :)

You sound as if you're putting down the poster.

How in the name of jaysus is what I said putting anyone down?

What difference does it make if he or she got anything employment wise since?

That statement came across as if they had to go through all that for a position they may not get.

What difference does it make to their life?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

A question like that on a thread like this....it's not what you said, it's what is implied.

What have been your experiences with JB?

Advertisement