Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

cloudatlas wrote: »
    None of 228 Government department JobBridge interns kept on

I was talking to an acquaintance who works in one of the departments and they said that none of the JobBridge interns have been taken on in their dept, I think they had around five so far. And here's the kicker according to the article the Department of Justice gave internships to 90 people on social welfare. :mad:

I thought there was a cap on the amount of job bridge interns that one organisation can take on, something like 2 at a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I thought there was a cap on the amount of job bridge interns that one organisation can take on, something like 2 at a time?

It depends on the size of your company, Council and Government agencies can hire as many people as they want and they do not have to wait the 3 months cooling off period to take on staff to fill the same position. They also cannot take on any person on JobBridge when they finish the 9 months as they have a blanket moratorium on hiring, unless it is highly specialized position, which would not be advertised as a JobBridge anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Xenji wrote: »
    It depends on the size of your company, Council and Government agencies can hire as many people as they want and they do not have to wait the 3 months cooling off period to take on staff to fill the same position. They also cannot take on any person on JobBridge when they finish the 9 months as they have a blanket moratorium on hiring, unless it is highly specialized position, which would not be advertised as a JobBridge anyway.
    Forgot about that, in fairness they do make that clear when interviewing interns (went for an interview with a department before).

Forgot about that, in fairness they do make that clear when interviewing interns (went for an interview with a department before).

That is good of them, I work with a Council and it is never said here, something I strongly disagree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

No, it depends on the amount of normal employees you have, ie 1-10 employees, 1 intern; 11-20, two interns.... something like that.

This means Government organisations are pretty well placed to hire as many as they need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

Anyone want 9 months experience valeting cars:

Car Valet

9 months to learn how to shampoo carpets and cleaning windows.

In case it gets deleted:
    The intern will gain practical experience in vacuuming, polishing, buffing and washing/cleaning cars, and general garage duties.The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: product training, Equipment training on various machines.Training in: complete wet working incl washing ext, engine compartment, wheel arches, door ledges; Steam cleaning; Hand wax & polish; Repair/Treat rubber mouldings; Ext and int window cleaning; Vacuum interior and boot area. Shampoo seats, carpet, head-linings; Treat vinyl areas. On completion the intern will have attained skills in: car valeting, communication, team building, meeting deadlines, organisational along with knowledge of all aspects of the motor trade.

Employer: Dunne Motor Services, Dun Laoghaire - Rathdown

Anyone want 9 months experience valeting cars:

Car Valet

9 months to learn how to shampoo carpets and cleaning windows.

In case it gets deleted:

Employer: Dunne Motor Services, Dun Laoghaire - Rathdown

Two spots open in Castlebar as well, and if cars are not your thing, you could also do Buses.

OK, St Brigid's College, Callan, Kilkenny. Getting more ridiculous by the day!!!

Cleaner

The intern will gain practical experience in the promotion of high levels of hygiene by maintaining the required level of cleanliness in the school. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: health and safety of a school, control of hygiene stock levels and dealing with staff. On completion the intern will have attained skills in managing the hygiene and cleanliness of a school with a strong emphasis on health and safety. Customer service skills.

Skills Requirements

The intern must have the following skills: Confidentiality, reliable, trustworthy, hard working, discreet, flexible and honest.

Department

Cleaning

Duration

9 Months

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

nope when i did one there was 4 others doing it... none of us got offered a job at the end of it... nor were we trained in anything

• Advertisement

nope when i did one there was 4 others doing it... none of us got offered a job at the end of it... nor were we trained in anything

What job were you meant to be doing?

The more full-time paid employees you have, the more free workers you can claim for. Up to 10 people is 1 intern, 10-20 is 2.... something like that.

This whole Jobs Plus thing seems to be a joke as well, know a person who did an internship and was told he would not be taken on unless he filled out all the Jobs Forms and then had to take below minimum wage. That means the company that hired him are getting a great tax break and he is working basically for free with them, they then hired another intern straight away but under a different position name, but basically doing the same thing, so they now have two workers free of charge and saving a ****load in tax.

The more full-time paid employees you have, the more free workers you can claim for. Up to 10 people is 1 intern, 10-20 is 2.... something like that.

Yeah and it you have over 30 staff members such as most big companies and government agencies you can have a unlimited number of them, you could actually fill your whole workforce with them if you wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I think the internship scheme could work if they changed it. Instead of companies advertising internships, which just leads to companies taking the p!ss, it should be up to the intern to to approach a company and ask it they could take them on. That way you would be enabling people who have theoretical skills to get practical experience in a relevant field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I just heard about this extension today -it's an absolute farce. 18 months for nothing. I saw this: "The “cooling off” period for host organisations, which prevents them from taking on other JobBridge interns immediately, will be waived when the intern goes directly into employment." - does this mean an employer can take another intern straight away if THEY hire the original one? What if original intern gets a job elsewhere? We'll see people being strung along on the promise of a job that never materialises for a year and a half now. Sick

Sala wrote: »
    I just heard about this extension today -it's an absolute farce. 18 months for nothing. I saw this: "The “cooling off” period for host organisations, which prevents them from taking on other JobBridge interns immediately, will be waived when the intern goes directly into employment." - does this mean an employer can take another intern straight away if THEY hire the original one? What if original intern gets a job elsewhere? We'll see people being strung along on the promise of a job that never materialises for a year and a half now. Sick

The cooling off period only applies for advertising the same position, if they retool the name they can take on a new intern straight after current intern finishes his 9 months and is not taken on, also a company with 30+ workers can hire as many interns as they like and the cooling off period does not apply to them.

The cooling off period only applies for advertising the same position, if they retool the name they can take on a new intern straight after current intern finishes his 9 months and is not taken on, also a company with 30+ workers can hire as many interns as they like and the cooling off period does not apply to them.

But the cooling off period is scrapped now? So say I am business owner and get an admin assistant or whatever for 9-18 months, he/she finishes, I can straight away get a new one? Why would any business hire junior staff so?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

What job were you meant to be doing?

it support... helpdesk. didnt learn anything i didnt know already... a complete waste of time.

my tasks were to answer phones, log faults and fix/upgrade windows based desktops, oh and change the toner on the printer and clear the odd jam.

3 years studying IT in college to do what anyone with an ecdl course could have done :rolleyes:

it support... helpdesk. didnt learn anything i didnt know already... a complete waste of time.

my tasks were to answer phones, log faults and fix/upgrade windows based desktops, oh and change the toner on the printer and clear the odd jam.

3 years studying IT in college to do what anyone with an ecdl course could have done :rolleyes:

Well, now you can do it for a further 9 months:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well, now you can do it for a further 9 months:rolleyes:

They extended it for another 9 months due to the high amount of people not being given jobs when they completed their internship and then having to stay on the live register as the vast majority of jobs being offered are Jobsbridge.

They extended it for another 9 months due to the high amount of people not being given jobs when they completed their internship and then having to stay on the live register as the vast majority of jobs being offered are Jobsbridge.

Which is a joke. Where does it ever end - double it again to 3 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

How does extending the period to 18 months make any sense at all? 9 months seemed long enough, generally you'd know if someone was a fit for the job after 3 months. Whats worse is there's no guarantee of a job at the end of it

Shout Dust wrote: »
    How does extending the period to 18 months make any sense at all? 9 months seemed long enough, generally you'd know if someone was a fit for the job after 3 months. Whats worse is there's no guarantee of a job at the end of it

It looks better for the government, when you do a Jobbridge you are not counted as being on the live register, this way they can say unemployment is going down. The problem they found with this among others was that hardly anyone got hired at the end of it and with the majority of jobs being offered now being Jobbridge, they would be nearly unemployable and stuck on the dole. So long story short, it just makes the government's employment record look better for another year at least.

Shout Dust wrote: »

If you were on month 8 of a jobbridge hoping to get a job at the end of it you'd be very worried now...

And I agree, it's fairly clear within a few weeks if someone is suitable for a job. 9 months "training" is not required for most jobs

If you were on month 8 of a jobbridge hoping to get a job at the end of it you'd be very worried now...

Do we know yet if you are currently doing a Jobbridge and have a few months to go, is it automatically extended to 18 months or do you have to find another one after you are finished your 9 months.

Do we know yet if you are currently doing a Jobbridge and have a few months to go, is it automatically extended to 18 months or do you have to find another one after you are finished your 9 months.

I don't know, I just read about the extension today and came on here to see what was going on. I'm not on it but I know a couple of people who are. I can imagine an employer who had no intention of keeping their intern trying to push it out now for another 9 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

So is there any bonus for doing it after the first 9 months or is just rubbing in that you are working below minimum wage when you are trained for the job?

So is there any bonus for doing it after the first 9 months or is just rubbing in that you are working below minimum wage when you are trained for the job?

Nope, you still just get your 50 euro extra a week and have no guarantee of a job in the end, you know the usual ****e :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

18 months now!? :pac:

Advertisement