Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭abyss

In my case it was mostly waste of time.
    I don't want to name company either - just say in Co. Kerry.
    I was almost 2 month with company, was in company from 9:00 till 18:00 Monday to Friday. Got some breaks during day, (and overtime was not paid, to be clear). Jobbridge was described as technical equipment handling and I have over 10 years experience with similar machines/systems handling. When I'm starting I want to learn differences between systems and if company is ok - stay with them. Unfortunately in this time I have only ~1hour training provided by "mentor", and maybe about 2 hours from co-workers including all my questions. In WHOLE time of 35 working days I have done only 1 day work related to description in Jobbridge role. All other time = 34 days was purely manual jobs which can be done by any person without skills, even illiterate - just physical work. All my real skills was untapped (have computer skills as CISCO cert, management skills, many years tech experience etc.).

Why I was staying so long? I was curious if anything will change in time, and how company is working - to learn much as possible. No - there was no serious changes. And no chances to further, extended knowledge. Due misleading description and real role I cant stay there for longer.

From my experience JobBridge programme is waste of money and time as general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Tony EH wrote: »
    A Head Chef internship?

What

The

Fück?

:confused:

But you will learn skills in how to manage, and teach other people your skills.

Fudge You wrote: »
    But you will learn skills in how to manage, and teach other people your skills.

But, but, but.... Who will teach YOU?????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Who cares, PRAISE THE FREE MARKET AND RAPE THE POOR!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Anytime you are challenged on this point, you run away, but anyway I will try to debate. You do know that a state based scheme where subsidies are given to businesses to employ people is NOT the free market?

Also, using the term rape is in poor taste given the problem of sexual violence in our society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wha? JobBrigde is statist interference in the free market. So many full time minimum wage jobs are being lost due to this stupid intervention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

But, but, but.... Who will teach YOU?????

Joan Burton will pop in for an mentoring and guidance session with you when she gets the chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Wha? JobBrigde is statist interference in the free market. So many full time minimum wage jobs are being lost due to this stupid intervention.

It's not just jobbridge it's a whole shift in the west to try before you hire employees via various internship programs. How did we ever get on in the past.

bjork wrote: »
    Joan Burton will pop in for an mentoring and guidance session with you when she gets the chance

Not if you have an Iphone or a water balloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There are no Head Chef advertisements. There are 19 for Chefs.

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=sjDArutve/3w53BLzNXooesjqRrGoX95L6zX310XQ+ZkPrjRXZfgnq9aCED/CBaEB7/EYciwt/RC+LOlNxs8UD9LAjj7M2Lo3u/cRXi0yliyP7RK7hJYFN5Gsp8+RANXSYBeOqEYtCqemWWEJdAziz9+vtGCYaMQMuy5jzXVd0sfV26ZiZV1AtDLuiMMZ4YdvvqI0PRMQpyMQ//ulCkhW+l4iceCn7/nTqJSqGeecF0WlrhRwEk5eHgVEeU55JZ3FjlbfsY6x8Zr8mG5jXdwAq4ciytM00z1ozmuvCrC6AlDERc1/IhNXmPFQtPl5ya2CldENQJlbk+Uzqd7NL6es1Vlm8iAv1ZYTpNiFYZMVmfCUke9XADABxJ2CNy5YDIKkHU40tSbBqc=

I think this is the one that Xenji was referring to.

Based in CASTLEBAR (RURAL) Ref. INTE-935816Description
    The intern will gain practical experience in cooking, baking, preparing food, ordering food and kitchen duties. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) and chefs protocol. On completion the intern will have attained skills in cooking and baking reading and implementing recipes knife skills all general chef duties Receive great knowledge and training in food management temperatures knowledge of different food types and seasonal availability they will receive 1 to 1 training and guidance with qualified chef also encouragement to progress formal education in cookery school with help from the employer to secure a job.

That might be of interest to someone in the locality. But most likely it will be ignored and will remain unfilled, like most of the rest of them.

It is OK for a bit of amusement to revive this thread now and again with a "Look what they are doing now" sort of comment. But as I have said before it is easier to let any employer advertise what they want and let the unemployed ignore the unsuitable one as they clearly do. Otherwise every single advertisement will have to be vetted in advance to see if it can be allowed. Which would be an unnecessary and wasteful use of human resources. Or even worse a list will have to be devised of what sorts of jobs are allowed and which ones are too menial in the eyes of AH. Anyone like to make a list (one which would not be open to a legal challenge from the employers excluded)?

• Advertisement

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=sjDArutve/3w53BLzNXooesjqRrGoX95L6zX310XQ+ZkPrjRXZfgnq9aCED/CBaEB7/EYciwt/RC+LOlNxs8UD9LAjj7M2Lo3u/cRXi0yliyP7RK7hJYFN5Gsp8+RANXSYBeOqEYtCqemWWEJdAziz9+vtGCYaMQMuy5jzXVd0sfV26ZiZV1AtDLuiMMZ4YdvvqI0PRMQpyMQ//ulCkhW+l4iceCn7/nTqJSqGeecF0WlrhRwEk5eHgVEeU55JZ3FjlbfsY6x8Zr8mG5jXdwAq4ciytM00z1ozmuvCrC6AlDERc1/IhNXmPFQtPl5ya2CldENQJlbk+Uzqd7NL6es1Vlm8iAv1ZYTpNiFYZMVmfCUke9XADABxJ2CNy5YDIKkHU40tSbBqc=

The intern will gain practical experience in cooking, baking, preparing food, ordering food and kitchen duties. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) and chefs protocol. On completion the intern will have attained skills in cooking and baking reading and implementing recipes knife skills all general chef duties Receive great knowledge and training in food management temperatures knowledge of different food types and seasonal availability they will receive 1 to 1 training and guidance with qualified chef also encouragement to progress formal education in cookery school with help from the employer to secure a job.

That might be of interest to someone in the locality. But most likely it will be ignored and will remain unfilled, like most of the rest of them.

It is OK for a bit of amusement to revive this thread now and again with a "Look what they are doing now" sort of comment. But as I have said before it is easier to let any employer advertise what they want and let the unemployed ignore the unsuitable one as they clearly do. Otherwise every single advertisement will have to be vetted in advance to see if it can be allowed. Which would be an unnecessary and wasteful use of human resources. Or even worse a list will have to be devised of what sorts of jobs are allowed and which ones are too menial in the eyes of AH. Anyone like to make a list (one which would not be open to a legal challenge from the employers excluded)?

What legal challenge ? If SW was actually doing it's job they set the criteria on who has access to free interns. It's not up to the employer to think they are Entitled to get free interns.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Thats the one, it is advertised a bit differently in the local paper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What legal challenge ? If SW was actually doing it's job they set the criteria on who has access to free interns. It's not up to the employer to think they are Entitled to get free interns.

So if the criteria allows hotels and shops and farms and garages to advertise why do we need a sucession of comments here saying OK look there is a shop advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭CobraClan

I got offered a job 3 weeks ago in factory, I was offered a minimum wage 39 hour a week. I excepted the job gladly and was excited to be starting a new job after being unemployed for over 4 years. I have lot of experience in the job I was offered and frankly the employer was getting a great deal out of me by having me working for minimum wage. I was to start this job next monday May 18. I got a call from the employer yesterday asking me about how I would feel about coming in as an intern. He started explaining about how I would keep my social welfare payments and get 50e on top of that, he sounded really excited about it like I was getting a great deal. I asked him how much will he be paying me himself, he said nothing that the sw will add 50e to my payments, so I said basicly you want me to work for you but you dont want to pay me, he said it was to give me work experience in which i told him im 38 years old working since i was 16 its not experience i need but a job and if he wanted me to work for him he would have to pay me. He said he needs to get an intern, so i declined his offer and now im still unemployed. The cheek of the chap, first he offers me a full time job then he tries to trick me into doing an internship so he can use me for cheap labour! Im a real person looking for a real job with a real wage! How will I get a job now when an employer doesn't have to pay his staff?:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Is there anywhere this behaviour could be reported? If not I'd go to the media.

CobraClan wrote: »
    I got offered a job 3 weeks ago in factory, I was offered a minimum wage 39 hour a week. I excepted the job gladly and was excited to be starting a new job after being unemployed for over 4 years. I have lot of experience in the job I was offered and frankly the employer was getting a great deal out of me by having me working for minimum wage. I was to start this job next monday May 18. I got a call from the employer yesterday asking me about how I would feel about coming in as an intern. He started explaining about how I would keep my social welfare payments and get 50e on top of that, he sounded really excited about it like I was getting a great deal. I asked him how much will he be paying me himself, he said nothing that the sw will add 50e to my payments, so I said basicly you want me to work for you but you dont want to pay me, he said it was to give me work experience in which i told him im 38 years old working since i was 16 its not experience i need but a job and if he wanted me to work for him he would have to pay me. He said he needs to get an intern, so i declined his offer and now im still unemployed. The cheek of the chap, first he offers me a full time job then he tries to trick me into doing an internship so he can use me for cheap labour! Im a real person looking for a real job with a real wage! How will I get a job now when an employer doesn't have to pay his staff?:mad:

I hope you reported him.

I would actully like to report him, but where do i go to this? And if i do report him is there not a chance id get knocked of the dole for declining the offer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

What a moron. Did he not know about registering with Jobs Plus to get the 10k from the government for hiring you?? Or maybe he did but wasn't enough for him or he didn't like the drip feed of the 10k....probably thought he'd get it all upfront the greedy b0stard!!!

I know it's awful being unemployed for such an extended period but be glad you're not going to work for someone who clearly has no integrity.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/JobsPlus-Employers.aspx for anyone doubting the 10k :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

I would actully like to report him, but where do i go to this? And if i do report him is there not a chance id get knocked of the dole for declining the offer?

There is that risk. God this makes my blood boil!!! :mad:

Is there any way you could say the cost of the journey wouldn't be covered by 50 euro internship but you would have been fine earning minimum wage so you had no choice but to turn down the internship or something like that? He shouldn't have advertised a paid job and then change his mind after a verbal offer.

No, as the employer asked you directly, it did not come from the SW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I hope you reported him.

Maryanne and myself don't agree on much in the IW megathread :P ...but yes...please, please, please report the crap out of this parasite.

My blood is boiling too, I was awake all night! If I had started the job it would have costed me at lest 30 euro a week to get the bus to and from work! Even on minimum wage that would of been a chunk but I could of delt with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Saw this advertised, a good example of what an internship should be about. Ideal for a graduate, with plenty of free training involved as well. I've no objection to something like this, its what Jobridge should be about instead of stacking shelves in Tesco or delivering microwaves for Dixons.

Description

The intern will gain practical experience in project planning, organising and developing energy efficiency and renewable energy projects. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: project identification and feasibility, stakeholder engagement, risk assessment, financial analysis, report writing and presentation skills, public procurement project management, researching & assisting in preparing project case studies. They will attend SEAIs workshops/training on Energy Management & energy saving best practices. On completion the intern will have attained skills in data gathering, key facilitation skills required to deliver energy projects, project planning, document writing and reporting, financial analysis and public procurement.

Skills Requirements

Be able to plan and organise their workload and communicate effectively. They will have strong written and communication skills. A good working knowledge of the Microsoft suite of packages including Word, Excel and Power point.

Please Note:

This is an Internship. An allowance of €50 per week will be paid in addition to your current Social Welfare payment.See eligibility criteria above.

Department

Projects

Mentor

The Organisation will assign a mentor to support you during the Internship.

Duration

9 Months

Number of Positions

Contract Type

Other

Days, Hours & Start Date

Days per week: To be advised
    Hours per day: Not specified
    Hours per week: 30
    Start Date: To be advised

Experience Required:

No Experience Required

Transport:

Transport is required for this position

Education Requirements:

Third Level - A third level degree in Energy Management, Mechanical/Electrical Engineering/Environmental Science with some knowledge of Energy Management in buildings. Training in Project Management would be beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Jobbridge is voluntary you don't have to take it ,if it wasnt every person on dole would be working for free, i say he had no intention of giving you a Job, got you in the door with job offer, minimum wage , you get your hopes up think you got a job,
    then lands this on you "Jobbridge",after 4 yrs unemployed he thinks it will be better then nothing for you and hopes you will take it, report the clown and dont worry that you turned it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I got offered a job 3 week

in factory, I was offered a minimum wage 39 hour a week. I excepted the job gladly and was excited to be starting a new job after being unemployed for over 4 years. I have lot of experience in the job I was offered and frankly the employer was getting a great deal out of me by having me working for minimum wage. I was to start this job next monday May 18. I got a call from the employer yesterday asking me about how I would feel about coming in as an intern. He started explaining about how I would keep my social welfare payments and get 50e on top of that, he sounded really excited about it like I was getting a great deal. I asked him how much will he be paying me himself, he said nothing that the sw will add 50e to my payments, so I said basicly you want me to work for you but you dont want to pay me, he said it was to give me work experience in which i told him im 38 years old working since i was 16 its not experience i need but a job and if he wanted me to work for him he would have to pay me. He said he needs to get an intern, so i declined his offer and now im still unemployed. The cheek of the chap, first he offers me a full time job then he tries to trick me into doing an internship so he can use me for cheap labour! Im a real person looking for a real job with a real wage! How will I get a job now when an employer doesn't have to pay his staff?:mad:

Report him to jobbridge with the company details. Copy joan bruton and the employer( if you have his email ) in the mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

And at the same time, it allows unscrupulous employers to dodge paying the minimum wage.

That reminds me, how many times has Dunnes availed of this?

And at the same time, it allows unscrupulous employers to dodge paying the minimum wage.

That reminds me, how many times has Dunnes availed of this?

Supervalue are/were far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

Reminds me of a job I applied for before. The ad was taken down, and suddenly replaced with an identical ad - but this time it was for jobbridge. The most infuriating thing about it was the ad actually said 'we've already found someone' but ya... Joke of a 'scheme'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

diddley wrote: »
    Reminds me of a job I applied for before. The ad was taken down, and suddenly replaced with an identical ad - but this time it was for jobbridge. The most infuriating thing about it was the ad actually said 'we've already found someone' but ya... Joke of a 'scheme'.

I don't know how many times I've seen ads like that both on recruitment sites and on jobbridge website! Its the ads you find out that are bogus then you realise what's going on?! Usually have a gut instinct or a feeling/vibe if I feel something is dodgy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

The scheme is an absolute scam. The job plus, not much better as it offers nothing for the employee and it is entirely employer centered. The part-time job seekers initiative is frustrating too. I am desperately looking for work but the norm for part time work nowaday seems to be 3-4 per day 5 day per week.
    At minimum wage it works out €129.75-€173. Add in travel cost, at a minimum of €27.50 on dublin bus, and upto €40 if you need to add luas or irish rail.
    I could potentially be down anywhere from from €32 a week to close to €100 per week.
    The only way to find out if I am eligible for the scheme is to find a job and then apply for it. If I then turn down the job, I will lose my benefit.
    *(€32 based on 20 hour @ minimum wage less €27.50 p/w on dublin vs €188 jobseekers)
    *(€100 based on 15 hours p/w @ minimum wage less €40 leapcard cap for multiple modes of transport vs jobseekers)

What I really want is a full-time, with real potential. I would consider part-time but I need to know I am not shooting myself in the foot. I could potentially be avoiding applying for jobs(these part-time ads) that would improve my financial situation, but don't because, the system works by telling job seekers jack sh!t. Joan Burton should hang her head in shame. She was fantastic in opposition, but when push come to shove she is worth about as much as weimar German mark.

Advertisement