Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If you can get a job that lets you work 3 days a week for 18-24 hours and then sign on for the rest your laughing, a friend of mine makes over €400 for 3 days work that way, a few years ago I was making around €450 and another €50 in tips doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Xenji wrote: »
    If you can get a job that lets you work 3 days a week for 18-24 hours and then sign on for the rest your laughing, a friend of mine makes over €400 for 3 days work that way, a few years ago I was making around €450 and another €50 in tips doing it.

Most of the part time jobs want you to work 3-4 hours a day and be available to work 5 day a week at a minutes notice. Therein lies the issue. You don't get to choose. Flexibility sold as a benefit, means you are available when we need you.

Most of the part time jobs want you to work 3-4 hours a day and be available to work 5 day a week at a minutes notice. Therein lies the issue. You don't get to choose. Flexibility sold as a benefit, means you are available when we need you.

I know what you mean, friends of mine have been offered jobs for just 2-3 hours a day and a few days a week, they can not sign for the rest of the days, as most were looking for 3-5 days a week, they actually would be losing money coming off the dole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

i agree. i have seen a lot of jobs wherein someone is on standby/reserve in case some who actually has a job gets sick. i wouldnt do that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Anonymous24

Hi
    I'm currently on a job bridge, working the full 40 hours a week. I'm finding it so tough mentally because its such a long week to put in and I haven't even got my €50 extra yet, apparently it takes a few weeks to be processed. In saying that I'm not even in receipt of the full €188. I better get it back-paid or ill be like an anti-christ.

The only thing keeping me going is that I've been told numerous times if I put my head down I'll get a full-time job out of it. A lot of my fellow colleagues don't even know I'm on jobbridge, so it does look like they will hire me. Thing is, they mentioned I would have a review every 3 months. So i'm hoping they will offer me the job then, looks like I have to prove myself! I just read here that employers don't have to wait the 3 months any more? Is there any minimum period now employers have to wait to officially hire their interns.

The only reason I'm doing this is because I need more experience. I'm hoping what I gain from this will be an advantage to me in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Hi
    I'm currently on a job bridge, working the full 40 hours a week. I'm finding it so tough mentally because its such a long week to put in and I haven't even got my €50 extra yet, apparently it takes a few weeks to be processed. In saying that I'm not even in receipt of the full €188. I better get it back-paid or ill be like an anti-christ.

The only thing keeping me going is that I've been told numerous times if I put my head down I'll get a full-time job out of it. A lot of my fellow colleagues don't even know I'm on jobbridge, so it does look like they will hire me. Thing is, they mentioned I would have a review every 3 months. So i'm hoping they will offer me the job then, looks like I have to prove myself! I just read here that employers don't have to wait the 3 months any more? Is there any minimum period now employers have to wait to officially hire their interns.

The only reason I'm doing this is because I need more experience. I'm hoping what I gain from this will be an advantage to me in the future.

There is no reason why a employer can't hire you full time at any time during the internship but i would have thought it would make financial sense to hire after the internship term has finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hi

You will get it backpaid.
    Having done job bridge and gotten a job from it, keeping your head down and doing the work will stand to you.
    I went into it knowing their might not be a job. It was a new venture for the company concerned. It was said to me by the owner that I had made it a job.
    I was with them another year before I left.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Yet another company looking for someone to train for nine moinths washing dishes!
    The indidvidual must be able to take instruction from the head cheep - whatever that is.
    link
    Created on: 22/04/2015 | Updated on: 19/05/2015 | Displayed until 17/06/2015 27 days from now
    Based in MULLINGAR
    Ref. INTE-931862
    Description

The intern will gain practical experience in all aspects of kitchen duties. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following in product handling, HACCP, quality control requirements; clean up to the proper standard and regulations. On completion the intern will have attained skills in manual handling, also the Intern will receive a certificate in hygiene care.
    Skills Requirements

The individual will require a good level of intuition and basic hygiene skills. The individual we need to be a team player and a willing participant in the various programmes that the company will undertake. The individual will be happy to take instruction from the head cheep and senior management.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yet another company looking for someone to train for nine moinths washing dishes!
    The indidvidual must be able to take instruction from the head cheep - whatever that is.
    link
    Kitchen Porter
    Created on: 22/04/2015 | Updated on: 19/05/2015 | Displayed until 17/06/2015 27 days from now
    Based in MULLINGAR
    Ref. INTE-931862
    Description

The intern will gain practical experience in all aspects of kitchen duties. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following in product handling, HACCP, quality control requirements; clean up to the proper standard and regulations. On completion the intern will have attained skills in manual handling, also the Intern will receive a certificate in hygiene care.
    Skills Requirements

The individual will require a good level of intuition and basic hygiene skills. The individual we need to be a team player and a willing participant in the various programmes that the company will undertake. The individual will be happy to take instruction from the head cheep and senior management.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I recently fell into this,thought it was great at the start but then realized it wasn't as great at they were making it out to be.I was supposed to start at three every day what eventually ended up happening was I was getting stung with the s!it hours and the full time employees started leaving the bulk of work for me to finish more or less a clean up man! Some days they'd ring me and say they needed me in early I could be in the middle of a set in the gym or doing something else and they expected me to drop what I was doing and be in work within 10 mins,(not even paid for the extra hours)

The agreement I had at the start was to do x's and o's to make up a wage but they had me waiting 9 weeks for a simple form(that I never got in the end) and my claim was canceled.I dunno why they couldn't even produce a simple form it meant they were covered and I was covered,in the end I jacked it.these employers are only making a mug out of people nowadays....you scratch their back.....and keep on scratching

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

This is soul destroying bull crap. I am on one of these internships. All day cleaning. Career wise, I am in a building to where I want to get work. I knew what I was getting myself in for. I knew what I signed up for. Thought it would be my foot in the door.

Its soul destroying. I cry myself to sleep every single night.

Heard a bitching session about the intern, knocks your confidence. But so does being on the dole and the other schemes they have for you.

Some new ones around town today.

Drycleaning & Laundry Operative
    Pre-school/After School Assistant
    Receptionist / Hair Salon
    Groom/Stable Hand
    Certified Translator (Legal)
    Business & Technology Researcher

Xenji wrote: »
    Some new ones around town today.

Drycleaning & Laundry Operative
    Pre-school/After School Assistant
    Receptionist / Hair Salon
    Groom/Stable Hand
    Certified Translator (Legal)
    Business & Technology Researcher

Supervisor - Mechanical Workshop
    Parts Department Assistant (For the umpteenth time - same company)
    Store Person / Delivery Driver
    Kitchen/Waiting Assistant - Food preparation and front house serving.

Its soul destroying. I cry myself to sleep every single night.

Leave now!
    No job is worth that - no matter what the prospects are.
    I'd sooner spend an eternity on the dole than put up with that crap.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

Certified translator? Supervisor?

That's fupping ridiculous! How are they getting away with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

SO there should be a rule no job should be allowed on jobbridge
    unless theres very specific training involved ,
    with specific skills ,
    that are taught to you ,
    That you help you to get a full time job .
    JOBS like kitchen porter should not be allowed on this.
    So the situation is employers are using this to get low paid workers ,
    doing full time work,
    Replacing ordinary workers ,eg a receptionist .
    Say working in a laundry takes maybe a few days training ,
    no great skill involved .
    NO need for jobridge there ,
    simply advertise job ,
    laundry operative wage is x euros etc thats it,
    like in the old days .
    There,s no logical reason why it takes 6 months to learn how to work in a laundry .

what skills will you learn,
    how to deal with the public,
    answer the phone .
    And maybe clean clothes .
    great you are now qualified to work in a laundry ,for a low wage,
    if you can find one that does not employ interns .
    You are only allowed to earn about 150 euro per week,
    if you say get a part time job, 3 days a week while on the dole.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We'll know tomorrow if there's another dead end , no hope of promotion, guaranteed to get fired when contract ends job created.

riclad wrote: »
    SO there should be a rule no job should be allowed on jobbridge unless theres very specific training involved...

No job should be allowed on Job Bridge period.

Internships are not jobs - they are traininig positions.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Anonymous24

Currently doing job bridge for almost a month. It really is soul destroying. I'm doing a 40 hour week and commuting to it. The work is so mundane!! I'm basically doing data entry in an extremely quiet office. Even though my other colleagues don't know I'm job bridge i'm still not treated like a regular employee. Everyone has laptops and I have to work off an actually computer. They can bring their laptops to our meetings and I have jot everything down in a note pad. I'm at a distinct advantage in meetings because of this. When asked could I bring my own personal laptop I was told I can sit beside someone and look into their screen. It's absolute horse sh*t, not to mention a complete waste of time.

What's really grinding my gears though is there's FA training involved. This is the only reason I went for the job, to gain experience. When I'm given other projects I have no guidance to go by at all, barely even have anyone to report too.

Working a 40 hour week and commuting to it is even worse because by the time I get home the last thing I want to do is sit back at a computer and apply for jobs!!

If anyone is considering doing job bridge I would not recommend it, especially a full-time position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Currently doing job bridge for almost a month. It really is soul destroying. I'm doing a 40 hour week and commuting to it. The work is so mundane!! I'm basically doing data entry in an extremely quiet office. Even though my other colleagues don't know I'm job bridge i'm still not treated like a regular employee. Everyone has laptops and I have to work off an actually computer. They can bring their laptops to our meetings and I have jot everything down in a note pad. I'm at a distinct advantage in meetings because of this. When asked could I bring my own personal laptop I was told I can sit beside someone and look into their screen. It's absolute horse sh*t, not to mention a complete waste of time.

What's really grinding my gears though is there's FA training involved. This is the only reason I went for the job, to gain experience. When I'm given other projects I have no guidance to go by at all, barely even have anyone to report too.

Working a 40 hour week and commuting to it is even worse because by the time I get home the last thing I want to do is sit back at a computer and apply for jobs!!

If anyone is considering doing job bridge I would not recommend it, especially a full-time position.

Did you go for experience in Data entry ? If not I would report the position to the job centre. What was the position advertised as ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

People have an issue with JobPlus?

I thought it was "unemployed person works for a wage, thus is now employed. Employer gets X money of their wages over Y time"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

My sister just finished a year doing TUS and now at her one to one meeting they are telling her she has to apply for work in jobbridge. As far as I know jobbridge is voluntary over age 25, she is 50. If joan burton says it is completely voluntary then why are the one to one case officers saying otherwise and that you have to apply to jobbridge ?.

The youth guarantee instructs those 25 and under to agree to do jobbridge, so how can they force a 50 year old non-youth into this ? any ideas.

My sister just finished a year doing TUS and now at her one to one meeting they are telling her she has to apply for work in jobbridge. As far as I know jobbridge is voluntary over age 25, she is 50. If joan burton says it is completely voluntary then why are the one to one case officers saying otherwise and that you have to apply to jobbridge ?.

The youth guarantee instructs those 25 and under to agree to do jobbridge, so how can they force a 50 year old non-youth into this ? any ideas.
    If she is being told that she has to apply for JobBridge, then she should apply for everything and make sure she fluffs the Interview, IF she gets one! She could get lucky and find one she likes and that will have a job at the end of it.

My understanding is that jobridge is voluntary, 50 year old in need of work experience ! , and she has just completed TUS! what more do they want, No, she should just apply for jobs she is interested in .

It just seems strange that this fas officer says she has to do it, but the dsp says on every letter that you have to be genuinely seeking work that is suitable to you.

My sister has been looking hard for work since she got back from teaching on the island Réunion indian ocean to come back to TUS, and she said that the 6 jobbridge forms she was given are not suitable as a cleaner and checkout assistant as she needs a paying wage job and seriously wants off the social welfare.

I could be wrong but I believe if they've tried every other avenue (courses, TUS, CE scheme etc) they might be able to dock you money or even close your payment if you refuse to try jobbridge.
    But that's as a last resort. I've been badgered about Jobbridge a few times but explained I'm wanting to do a course/try for a CE scheme instead/whatever.

But case officers do vary in personality so your sister might have just been stuck with a right nuisance.

It just seems strange that this fas officer says she has to do it, but the dsp says on every letter that you have to be genuinely seeking work that is suitable to you.

My sister has been looking hard for work since she got back from the island Réunion indian ocean to come back to TUS, and she said that the 6 jobbridge forms she was given are not suitable as a cleaner and checkout assistant as she needs a paying wage job and seriously wants off the social welfare.

Well what to they intend to do if she refuses a jobbrige which she feels would be no benefit to her ,cut her money? then a letter to joan burton would have to written, she should just comtinue to look for full time work, advise of all applications to social welfare.

The problem is that Jobbridge is actually a good scheme within reason but too many companies abuse it.

Anyway, I'd recommend she push for something else; even a course in something she has a vague interest in. At least that way it'll keep the social off her back. I'm not recommending a 50 year old does nothing till they retire but if she shows she's doing *something* rather than saying no to everything then it's bad on paper.

The other thing is, how much confidence does she have? If she's someone that's shy or not able to stand up for themselves, the case officer could just be trying to force it. Jobbridge is just one scheme. A course is a fine option (they actually do have good courses, not just the old Mickey Mouse ones from years ago). Even say she'd like to do a CE Scheme and have a general idea of in what kinda work: receptionist, cleaner, caterer, etc.

The problem is that Jobbridge is actually a good scheme within reason but too many companies abuse it.

Anyway, I'd recommend she push for something else; even a course in something she has a vague interest in. At least that way it'll keep the social off her back. I'm not recommending a 50 year old does nothing till they retire but if she shows she's doing *something* rather than saying no to everything then it's bad on paper.

The other thing is, how much confidence does she have? If she's someone that's shy or not able to stand up for themselves, the case officer could just be trying to force it. Jobbridge is just one scheme. A course is a fine option (they actually do have good courses, not just the old Mickey Mouse ones from years ago). Even say she'd like to do a CE Scheme and have a general idea of in what kinda work: receptionist, cleaner, caterer, etc.

She's very out-going and has been teaching english and german abroad but ended up unemployed when she got back to this country. She can be a bit shy though but she was only ever offered TUS, she was never offered a course and I did tell her that she can do a course if she likes that is suitable to her.

she has a university degree and a diploma from the institute of technology. She is also a folk music singer at this time, voluntary.

• Advertisement

Tell her to get herself a course or something. German and English? Does she have any experience with computers. She could try to get skills in those. It could land her a job in an office somewhere. It might not be as ideal as a teacher but a job's a job.
    I'd tell her to think what she wants to do (within reason so nothing like a bank manager) and then try to do some research (or even ask yourself for advice or friends or something who can use computers) and then get herself to the dole and see what they can do to help her. Above all she needs to get her head on straight and know what she wants.

In my experience, a lot of people that go to the dole to do "something" just end up with "something" since they have no actual goal as what they want to do with their lives.

Advertisement