Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Month number 2: I'm still crying myself to sleep. Knowing you are capable of more. That and coming into find that another intern isn't doing their work so you have to do it.

Life is too short for this, if you crying yourself to sleep about a internship then move on, some thing will come up always does might take a while , but in a 2/3 rears time you will look back and think why did i put up with this,
    don't let a internship make you so unhappy it really is not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Kilkenny JobClub are looking for an intern Job Coach. The irony must be lost on them. Oh and a level 6 and experience is required also....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

wilddarts wrote: »
    Kilkenny JobClub are looking for an intern Job Coach. The irony must be lost on them. Oh and a level 6 and experience is required also....

Speaking of level 6, I noticed many courses advertised under the Momentum initiative are advertised as FETAC level 6, when in fact, they are no such thing. Rather than being FETAC level 6, they are a "Level 6 award" from the college and nothing to do with FETAC.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Month number 2: I'm still crying myself to sleep. Knowing you are capable of more. That and coming into find that another intern isn't doing their work so you have to do it.

Why are you still there?
    Seriously Dog - you need to leave that job now!

Genealogy Forum Mod

RTÉ turns to JobBridge to hire new talent

A nicely written piece in the Irish Times! How the hell can the scheme still be justified under these circumstances? Can't afford to hire? Then you cut corners, not use the unemployed as a cost saving measure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...use the unemployed as a cost saving measure.

In a nutshell that's what JobBridge has become.

However there's a bit of a difference between the local garage hiring a car wash attendent or the corner shop looking to hire a sandwich maker under this scheme versus RTE looking to hire a digital editor intern who in all likelihood really will gain valuable experience working with the national broadcaster.

And the piece in the Times is nothing short of lazy!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Goat Paddock

Hermy wrote: »
    In a nutshell that's what JobBridge has become.

However there's a bit of a difference between the local garage hiring a car wash attendent or the corner shop looking to hire a sandwich maker under this scheme versus RTE looking to hire a digital editor intern who in all likelihood really will gain valuable experience working with the national broadcaster.

And the piece in the Times is nothing short of lazy!
    Not necessarily lazy remember these articles have to fit a certain sized space on a print edition so may need to be short.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

The FAI are looking for a kit man through Jobs Bridge.

http://www.fai.ie/domestic/fai/fai-careers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,937 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I take it Sepp's bribe has run out by now? Then again, I heard that the FAI haven't even been paid that bribe yet!

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    The FAI are looking for a kit man through Jobs Bridge.

You joking? Please provide link too lazy to check

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

You joking? Please provide link too lazy to check

I added a link in my original post.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I added a link in my original post.

Is anybody running a website detailing the companies and roles being used on this scheme? If not they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Is anybody running a website detailing the companies and roles being used on this scheme? If not they should.

http://www.scambridge.ie/

scambridgeQUOTE]

That site doesn't seem to have a proper database of jobbridge adverts.. Which would be good to have.

Plus their €13 per hour minimum wage call seems a bit unrealistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

RTÉ turns to JobBridge to hire new talent

A nicely written piece in the Irish Times! How the hell can the scheme still be justified under these circumstances? Can't afford to hire? Then you cut corners, not use the unemployed as a cost saving measure.

Let me get this straight, RTE can pay their presenters 500,000 a year and they can't afford a salary of 25,000 a year which is decent enough starting off and living in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Let me get this straight, RTE can pay their presenters 500,000 a year and they can't afford a salary of 25,000 a year which is decent enough starting off and living in Dublin.
    It's not a matter of what RTE can afford but what the person can demand. The presenters earning around 500k can demand that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    It's not a matter of what RTE can afford but what the person can demand. The presenters earning around 500k can demand that much.

Really ? Why who else is going to hire them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Really ? Why who else is going to hire them ?

It's not a matter of who is going to hire them but how many listeners a person like Ryan Tuberty can attract compared to someone else.

The more viewers / listeners a presenter attracts the more ad revenue their show makes the more they can demand from RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

My internship isn't going well. 2 weeks down......the fas course I did has barely scratched the surface of the educational requirements for the job.

I've just sat and read a tuition book and played a bit on the software system they use but that's it. One girl has shown me some work she does on it but I'm so lost.

Nobody has the time to train me properly, the mentor hasn't really made an effort. I'm kind of wondering what the hell I'm there for. There's no plan in place. Today I requested a meeting and asked if I could do some admin to alleviate the boredom. She's running it by management.

I don't know which is worse; an internship where I sit and try to look busy for 8 hours or being abused by doing bun runs and dry cleaning collections on top of full on PA work ..........

She told me to think about it and see where I am with continuing with the internship.......:confused: Rock and hard place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

scambridgeQUOTE]

That site doesn't seem to have a proper database of jobbridge adverts.. Which would be good to have.

Plus their €13 per hour minimum wage call seems a bit unrealistic

Defintely asking to much. Isn't there a crowd in America demanding something similar $15 p/h to work in McDonalds.

• Advertisement

Defintely asking to much. Isn't there a crowd in America demanding something similar $15 p/h to work in McDonalds.

Scambridge is a Paul Murphy site, devoted to conning his "followers" into re electing him in the General Election. It doesn't offer anything other than his unrealistic nonsense.
    JobBridge was a good idea until it was exploited by shops, farmers, etc, looking for free labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats the story if you quit your jobbridge job.....can you go back on the dole, or do the SW make it awkward for you??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

fryup wrote: »
    whats the story if you quit your jobbridge job.....can you go back on the dole, or do the SW make it awkward for you??

If you want to collect your SW payment, you have to stick it out. I know thats not what you want to hear but its the reality of it. Once you are in it, you are f*cked because you agreed to complete the 9 months and if you dont, you are in breach of your signed agreement.

The key is to not to agree to do it in the first place. Believe it or not, you actually do have a choice. They cannot force you onto jobridge. When it is "suggested" you do it, offer to do a course instead. They will counter back and forth with you but ultimately if you stick to your guns, you will get your way. Remember to be polite about it. It's important to keep your head.

I know it seems like poor advice for you because the horse has already bolted but hopefully it will help somebody else who is being hassled into it. The idea of this scheme was worth having but its implementation is horrific. Companies abusing it for free labour and the department of social protection are only too happy to let them as they get a pat on the back for "lowering" unemployment statistics. It's disgraceul to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

oh, the horse hasn't bolted just yet

i'm not in jobbridge but the SW are leaning on me suggesting i should take a jobbridge in a car dealership telling me i'd get good "IT training"

but when i looked into it..its in a dingy secondhand-car dealership and i'd be stuck in a portacabin answering the phone, well there's no f*cking way i'm doing that
    Kirby wrote: »
    The key is to not to agree to do it in the first place. Believe it or not, you actually do have a choice. They cannot force you onto jobridge.

but can they cut your dole??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

If you 'quit' because you're being treated unfairly or because you're not being provided with the agreed 'training' then there shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

but can they cut your dole??

Yes they can if you are seen to be uncooperative. If you just roll up and say "No" with nothing else, then thats what will happen.

There is a difference between doing nothing, and agreeing to do something else. As I said, when they bring up jobridge, and they will, segue into a FAS course in your chosen field. "Well thats an option alright, but I was more interested in this....." That sort of thing. They cant cut your dole as long as you are willing to do things.

Just dont let them bully you into it. They will try and most people are too meek and let them. :) People have to actually agree to Jobridge and thats the thing they try and fudge. They make it seem like you have no choice in the matter. But you do. It just takes a bit of nuance.

Kirby wrote: »
    Yes they can if you are seen to be uncooperative. If you just roll up and say "No" with nothing else, then thats what will happen.

There is a difference between doing nothing, and agreeing to do something else. As I said, when they bring up jobridge, and they will, segue into a FAS course in your chosen field. "Well thats an option alright, but I was more interested in this....." That sort of thing. They cant cut your dole as long as you are willing to do things.

Just dont let them bully you into it. They will try and most people are too meek and let them. :) People have to actually agree to Jobridge and thats the thing they try and fudge. They make it seem like you have no choice in the matter. But you do. It just takes a bit of nuance.

Also, if you're called into the office, bring evidence with you that you've been looking for work. Emails sent, etc. Show a little knowledge of that types of FAS courses you'd like to do instead of Jobbridge. That type of thing. And that's not just to get the off your back about Jobbridge by the way. We should all be looking for work anyway.

I see people are criticising RTE presenters again. If you're not making your employer money then you're out of a job. Simple as that. What makes people think RTE run by different rules? I can't stand Tubridy and the thought of him rolling in cash make me want to vomit, but he's popular and he's bringing in the ad revenue. He earns RTE more money than they pay him. It's called the employer/employee relationship. I though we'd all know how that works by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

I see people are criticising RTE presenters again. If you're not making your employer money then you're out of a job. Simple as that. What makes people think RTE run by different rules? I can't stand Tubridy and the thought of him rolling in cash make me want to vomit, but he's popular and he's bringing in the ad revenue. He earns RTE more money than they pay him. It's called the employer/employee relationship. I though we'd all know how that works by now.

RTE is a basket case that has the best of both worlds, they can afford to pay these mental salaries to "talent" through both the license fee and ad revenue. Take away the cosy arrangement that exists and rte wouldnt be able to pay half of what they do at the moment for presenters that simply could dream of getting those wages outside of ireland.

Now they are looking for slave labour through job-bridge, its a fckin joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

JobBridge was a good idea until it was exploited by shops, farmers, etc, looking for free labour.

The exploitation is permitted encouraged by the gov't. There are 'internships' being offered in gov't departments with absolutely no hope of permanent employment resulting. And yes, you can look at the propaganda terms of the 'internships' and play with semantics to suit your needs.

The fact is: if the gov't wanted to run a proper system and really had the needs of the unemployed in mind when they devised the scheme, they would have enforced the rules of the scheme and stayed with the original proposal that the employer would contribute financially. This would mean that only real internships would be offered. As with most other schemes (in relation to our gov't the definition of scheme is : make plans, especially in a devious way or with intent to do something illegal or wrong.) in this country there is no real intent to help citizens.

Advertisement