Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bobbail21

Kirby wrote: »
    If you want to collect your SW payment, you have to stick it out. I know thats not what you want to hear but its the reality of it. Once you are in it, you are f*cked because you agreed to complete the 9 months and if you dont, you are in breach of your signed agreement.

The key is to not to agree to do it in the first place. Believe it or not, you actually do have a choice. They cannot force you onto jobridge. When it is "suggested" you do it, offer to do a course instead. They will counter back and forth with you but ultimately if you stick to your guns, you will get your way. Remember to be polite about it. It's important to keep your head.

I know it seems like poor advice for you because the horse has already bolted but hopefully it will help somebody else who is being hassled into it. The idea of this scheme was worth having but its implementation is horrific. Companies abusing it for free labour and the department of social protection are only too happy to let them as they get a pat on the back for "lowering" unemployment statistics. It's disgraceul to be honest.

Quick query Kirby,or anyone who reads this for that matter, are jobseekers allowed to refuse to accept a jobbridge after interview?
    I had an interview today and I was under the impression the job was going to keep me on my toes and busy,but the interviewer,the job description and the whole place appeared quite boring.. I was even told that the job would be "VERY" boring,which wasn't exactly the leap of encouragement I needed....

Anyway they said to me they'd call me next week as they've other people to interview,but if they call me can I just say sorry something has come up? or am I forced to take it on now that i've wen't for the interview? Upon reading some of the problems people have been having with jobbridge I really don't want to rush into something thats not right for me and thats kind of what I done by attending the interview,it was very spur of the moment thing as I don't want to be unemployed but on the flip side i certainly don't want to be regretting it 2 weeks down the line and wishing i'd never started it either

Any feedback would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Kirby wrote: »
    If you want to collect your SW payment, you have to stick it out. I know thats not what you want to hear but its the reality of it. Once you are in it, you are f*cked because you agreed to complete the 9 months and if you dont, you are in breach of your signed agreement.

That is not true whatsoever. The scheme is voluntary and one is entitled to leave at any time with one weeks notice. Leaving early may trigger a review of your social welfare claim but not necessarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Werent they bringing in something that meant if you were under a certain age it would be compulsory?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The DSP said 84 organisations had been "red flagged" for breaching the terms of the scheme since it was introduced in 2011. This meant they were excluded from the scheme for a period of time. There are currently 34 companies on the "red flag" list.
    Reasons for excluding companies from the scheme included
    a failure by them to put a standard agreement in place with the intern,
    non-compliance with monitoring checks,
    giving the intern duties which were not advertised,
    poor or non-existent mentoring.
    Only 84 out of 17,000 companies noted for breaching jobbridge t&c's since 2011 :cool: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/jobbridge-rules-broken-by-84-firms-31333846.html

I wonder how many internships are actually checked up on by Welfare? I'm glad to see that some have been found out and sanctions taken.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm sure as few as possible. Puts the onus on the participant to complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Werent they bringing in something that meant if you were under a certain age it would be compulsory?

It's compulsory for 25's and under in relation to the youth guarantee implementation plan. If they refuse to take up a jobbridge offer they will either be cut or cut-off from their payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I wonder how many internships are actually checked up on by Welfare? I'm glad to see that some have been found out and sanctions taken.

Any intern that I have mentored has not been checked up by the SW, when they have about 2 weeks left a member of the SW comes in and asks them how they got on with the internship and then given a few pamphlets.

Actually you could basically hire a friend or family member on the scheme and never once have him come in, all you would have to do is fill out their attendance sheet and send it off weekly or monthly.

How much does the employer get that takes on an intern for 9 months ? I heard the employer gets €10,000 for each intern for their duration. Is this correct ?.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Employer gets no money.

I think you might be confusing it with a grant for employers hiring, as in paying them a wage on a permanent job, long term unemployed. I think it's 10K for someone who's 2 years unemployed.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Employer gets no money.

I think you might be confusing it with a grant for employers hiring, as in paying them a wage on a permanent job, long term unemployed. I think it's 10K for someone who's 2 years unemployed.

Ah I see. Yeah, I wasn't too sure on the exact scheme.

How much does the employer get that takes on an intern for 9 months ? I heard the employer gets €10,000 for each intern for their duration. Is this correct ?.

That would be JobsPlus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Xenji wrote: »
    That would be JobsPlus.

Isn't that a tax thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

My O.H was given 1weeks notice from her job in January,(3 weeks short of 2 years there) for financial reasons she was told, as a high earner (480pw)she was first to go, the assistant manager was promoted to her job, and a jobs bridge brought in to fill her place, the second jobs bridge girl in the place, 2 weeks ago she found out that all the workers hours have been cut to the bone and two more jobs bridge brought in, last week two workers handed in their notice as the job isn't paying enough to live on, possibly making way for more jobs bridge, how many is a workplace allowed have?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

This is how jobbridge and jobplus are drawn together. it is a bribe to take on interns.

http://www.merrionstreet.ie/en/News-Room/Releases/minister-joan-burton-and-the-crafts-council-of-ireland-announce-extension-of-pilot-internship-scheme-for-the-craft-sector.52824.shortcut.html
    Since 1st July 2013, companies who employ interns and are eligible for the new JobsPlus Scheme may qualify for a financial incentive of up to €10,000, payable each month over a 2-year period to qualifying employers, which helps to offset wage costs

JobBridge/Intern... The worst of America brought to Ireland. Get rid of this crap and start paying folk a reasonable paid wage. The minimum wage was implemented for a reason. This JobBridge scheme is making a mockery of it all.

I feel very sorry for the folks that spent 9 months of their life with no job at the end of it all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

selous wrote: »
    My O.H was given 1weeks notice from her job in January,(3 weeks short of 2 years there) for financial reasons she was told, as a high earner (480pw)she was first to go, the assistant manager was promoted to her job, and a jobs bridge brought in to fill her place, the second jobs bridge girl in the place, 2 weeks ago she found out that all the workers hours have been cut to the bone and two more jobs bridge brought in, last week two workers handed in their notice as the job isn't paying enough to live on, possibly making way for more jobs bridge, how many is a workplace allowed have?

1-10 employees = 1 intern
    11-20 employees = 3 interns (dunno why it isn't 2 as 3 seems alot)

You really should complain to Jobbridge themselves if that's the case. You are not allowed replace an employee with an intern.

I'd contact Jobbridge to let them know what's happening. Back when this scheme started I used to contact both Jobbridge and my local TD's about abuses I saw on the scheme and they do reply (well everyone bar Richard Boyd Barrett bizarrely enough :confused:). They might not do anything about it but the least that will happen is that the number of complaints about the scheme increases by 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

You really should complain to Jobbridge themselves if that's the case.

Good one. Showing Jobbridge in anything other than a glowing light is contrary to their interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

You really should complain to Jobbridge themselves if that's the case. You are not allowed replace an employee with an intern.

I'd contact Jobbridge to let them know what's happening. Back when this scheme started I used to contact both Jobbridge and my local TD's about abuses I saw on the scheme and they do reply (well everyone bar Richard Boyd Barrett bizarrely enough :confused:). They might not do anything about it but the least that will happen is that the number of complaints about the scheme increases by 1.

Thanks for that.
    She had the best "revenge" though, the customers where she worked, came looking for her to continue the work she was doing, (child care) so has set up her own business and has gone from strength to strength in 6 months all on word of mouth and recommendation, most coming from where she was let go from,

selous wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    She had the best "revenge" though, the customers where she worked, came looking for her to continue the work she was doing, (child care) so has set up her own business and has gone from strength to strength in 6 months all on word of mouth and recommendation, most coming from where she was let go from,

Oh yeah?

Maybe if she takes on some interns she'll be able to grow the business :pac:

• Advertisement

30+ employees = 20% of the workforce to a maximum of 200 internships whichever is the smaller.

That is the one that more people should know about, this is how Councils can have anywhere from 15-20 interns at one time, Baxter have gone through dozens of interns on the scheme to offset costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Xenji wrote: »
    30+ employees = 20% of the workforce to a maximum of 200 internships whichever is the smaller.

That is the one that more people should know about, this is how Councils can have anywhere from 15-20 interns at one time, Baxter have gone through dozens of interns on the scheme to offset costs.
    Any person who takes up an internship at a council, knowing they can't get a job has only themselves to blame.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Any person who takes up an internship at a council, knowing they can't get a job has only themselves to blame.

Well, "it looks good on the CV".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

We're fairly complacent about slavery in modern day Ireland. :rolleyes: I think it was the Nice treaty where this €1.85 per hour wage was introduced. I can remember the Great Gerry Adams holding a placard with such stated on it.

Que some pro government brain washed euro fanatic to recite some gibberish about the "pro" of this slave scheme to fund the elite in the euro. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,937 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

Nice to know victim-blaming is alive and well in upper-class Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Nice to know victim-blaming is alive and well in upper-class Ireland.

I don't know who you're calling upper class but it doesn't describe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Why can't the employer give a hundred euros a week to the intern? 50 euros from the Social Welfare ain't going to cover meals and petrol every week or a creche or childminder. Surely if the onus is on the employer to have to pay something it would weed out all the chancers that have destroyed jobbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Why can't the employer give a hundred euros a week to the intern? 50 euros from the Social Welfare ain't going to cover meals and petrol every week or a creche or childminder. Surely if the onus is on the employer to have to pay something it would weed out all the chancers that have destroyed jobbridge.

AFAIK this was the original proposal for this scandal scheme but IBEC (yes them cúnts) weren't happy and resulted in the employer contribution being withdrawn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

in the present buisness climate one cannot expect an employer to spend a little extra in wages, now can you, when the goverment says it can supply them for free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Oh yeah?

Maybe if she takes on some interns she'll be able to grow the business :pac:

not a nice remark, especially from a mod

Advertisement