Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,936 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Hang on, we need someone to "richsplain" to us about "free morkets, roysh" willing the replacement of entry-level jobs with bullsh*t internships. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tempotaschen

What's next doctors and nurses on jobbridge.

A piece from the Irish times link above ... The internship would provide entry level clinical psychologists the chance to develop the relevant experience they need before moving onto a trainee job ???

What's the point of the jobbridge so?

Isn't the whole point of a trainee job is to get experience... as a trainee ?

Christ all mighty.

I think you're missing the point, mister.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

In my (Bangthebodhran) post I meant to say give a semi-decent paid trainee job to someone who has spent six years of their life training to be a clinical psychologist rather than an insulting JobBridge position. Next they will be offering a JobBridge position for Taoiseach. :pac:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

In my (Bangthebodhran) post I meant to say give a semi-decent paid trainee job to someone who has spent six years of their life training to be a clinical psychologist rather than an insulting JobBridge position. Next they will be offering a JobBridge position for Taoiseach. :pac:
    So a person who studies for 6 years is entitled to a job?

Why pick person A for a trainee job if there are other more experienced candidates?

Answer: Because person A has undertaken the jb scheme and has 6-9 months or experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

You say that last bit like it is a bad idea. This scheme is horrible, I wonder what percentage of these jobs would have appeared as payed positions had the scheme not existed. I get the idea behind it and see why it was brought in but they were never going to be able to control it. It was always going to prove impossible to ensure the only positions that appeared on it were jobs only created due to the scheme's existence. It has been abused from the start and I don't think there was any way to stop that with an idea like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    So a person who studies for 6 years is entitled to a job?

Why pick person A for a trainee job if there are other more experienced candidates?

Answer: Because person A has undertaken the jb scheme and has 6-9 months or experience.

It's a trainee job. They are for people without experience. Otherwise they are just jobs. Next people will say you need experience to do a job bridge internship.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It's a trainee job. They are for people without experience. Otherwise they are just jobs. Next people will say you need experience to do a job bridge internship.

Quite a few of the advertisements want you to have experience and 3rd level degrees.

Says who? If two people go for the trainee job, one with experience and one without. The person with experience will get the job, all else being equal.

Without jb the second person could never even the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

That happened to me a few times with journalist jobbridge positions I was interested in, they wanted someone with experience but completely disregarded that I trained for four years as a journalist student with a BA degree in journalism, in fact I made a post a while ago about my last jobbridge interview here.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

That happened to me a few times with journalist jobbridge positions I was interested in, they wanted someone with experience but completely disregarded that I trained for four years as a journalist student with a BA degree in journalism, in fact I made a post a while ago about my last jobbridge interview here.
    College isn't experience, that's what a lot of guys here complaining about person x not being able to get a job after y years in college don't seem to understand.

It's easy for a lot of people to blame their situation on the "system" and the jb programme is an easy straw man but it really does help people, I know people in my office who started on jb and are permanent now.

• Advertisement

College isn't experience, that's what a lot of guys here complaining about person x not being able to get a job after y years in college don't seem to understand.

It's easy for a lot of people to blame their situation on the "system" and the jb programme is an easy straw man but it really does help people, I know people in my office who started on jb and are permanent now.

In fairness the original idea for the scheme was to provide graduates with internships, so they would be able to get real world experience after leaving college, it has just mutated into the mess we have now, with very little regulation or supervision.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

So do I, but prior to this scheme they would have just been hired on probation and paid for 6 months while they were evaluated.

They're not new jobs, they're positions the business would have had to fill regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Says who? If two people go for the trainee job, one with experience and one without. The person with experience will get the job, all else being equal.

Trainee jobs are for trainees. An employee who you train. The idea behind them is to get experience after graduating and the employer then decides to keep you on or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trainee
    http://www.usavisa.ie/pct/finding-a-trainee-position

Your way we have people graduating from college being unemployed for 3 months, then they do a jb for 6-9 months followed by a period of training and evaluation before deciding if the person is to be kept on.

If an employer needs that amount of time to decide then there's a problem somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

Why would someone with experience go for a trainee job?

Edit: as you already mentioned, college doesn't equal experience.

Someone with experience would have already had trainee job.

Why would someone with experience go for a trainee job?

Edit: as you already mentioned, college doesn't equal experience.

Someone with experience would have already had trainee job.
    Nope. Not always, not most of the time.

Trainee jobs are for trainees. An employee who you train. The idea behind them is to get experience after graduating and the employer then decides to keep you on or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trainee
    http://www.usavisa.ie/pct/finding-a-trainee-position

Your way we have people graduating from college being unemployed for 3 months, then they do a jb for 6-9 months followed by a period of training and evaluation before deciding if the person is to be kept on.

If an employer needs that amount of time to decide then there's a problem somewhere.
    Trainee jobs are for trainees. Why must they be for inexperienced guys? If I were a HR manager, all else being equal I would hire the guy with more experience. The guy who has experience is more attractive than the guy who doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,936 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Hang on, we need someone to "richsplain" to us about "free morkets, roysh" willing the replacement of entry-level jobs with bullsh*t internships. :rolleyes:

Called it.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

At the height of the recession, there were jobbridge ads for fully qualified solicitors. When it comes to the question of abuse of the scheme, that says it all.

At the height of the recession, there were jobbridge ads for fully qualified solicitors. When it comes to the question of abuse of the scheme, that says it all.

Had a quick look there and they are still looking for them, also a microbiologist popped up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Rainbow_Bright

A secretary, a caretaker and an art teacher's assistant..! Looks like they're planning on staffing the school with interns!? And they seem to do this every few months. It's a little annoying to see the scheme being used like this!

http://ie.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=ab8f25c159ac2e33&l=meath&tk=19ta6cqg11d548dr&from

http://ie.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=023d796f8a9d5de0&l=meath&tk=19ta6cqg11d548dr&from

http://ie.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=3c0aa24f02a64708&l=meath&tk=19ta6cqg11d548dr&from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I see the company that produces Ros Na Rún have FIVE Jobbridge vacancies up. Camera operators, editors, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

This is a nasty, rotten scheme.

I'm in a place where staff have to sign their name to what they do.

There was a problem yesterday, I was in the room, nothing was said to me. So I take it my name wasn't on it.

Today, I come in and hours later still nothing have been said to me. While they continue on with their work. Using more signed items. One of them with my name on it. One out of two or three.

So a while later i'm being told things are being done wrong and getting mixed up. No issue yesterday. And I'm getting the blame for the whole lot. While I went in yesterday and it was their own staff mixing stuff up. They can't blame them.

I take critism well and I know where to take responsibility. But when you get the blame for everything and for what someone signs, I think that's a bit too much.

Is there a thing about this scheme, that I'm meant to take this?

Was almost in tears, there are signatures there and I'm being blamed for the whole lot going wrong.

This is a nasty, rotten scheme.

I'm in a place where staff have to sign their name to what they do.

There was a problem yesterday, I was in the room, nothing was said to me. So I take it my name wasn't on it.

Today, I come in and hours later still nothing have been said to me. While they continue on with their work. Using more signed items. One of them with my name on it. One out of two or three.

So a while later i'm being told things are being done wrong and getting mixed up. No issue yesterday. And I'm getting the blame for the whole lot. While I went in yesterday and it was their own staff mixing stuff up. They can't blame them.

I take critism well and I know where to take responsibility. But when you get the blame for everything and for what someone signs, I think that's a bit too much.

Is there a thing about this scheme, that I'm meant to take this?

You are an intern. You are there to learn. You have no responsibility for when things go wrong. If you are being blamed, then turn it back on themselves and suggest they up your supervision. Do as little as necessary and see your time out. If all else fails, leave, reporting back to DSP how you were abused and working conditions made intolerable.

You are an intern. You are there to learn. You have no responsibility for when things go wrong. If you are being blamed, then turn it back on themselves and suggest they up your supervision. Do as little as necessary and see your time out. If all else fails, leave, reporting back to DSP how you were abused and working conditions made intolerable.

That's exactly what I'm going to start doing... As little as necessary... I'm so useless... They can do it

That's exactly what I'm going to start doing... As little as necessary... I'm so useless... They can do it

It's obviously one of those places where you leave your brain at the door as you enter. You're better than that. Good Luck.

It's obviously one of those places where you leave your brain at the door as you enter. You're better than that. Good Luck.

The internship is a thing where you leave your brain at the door. I.e cleaning

Thought it might be my foot in the door. And maybe get something else. Or do more. Fully qualified but I might as well be in primary school with the way things are/how thick I'm made feel. Students get to do more.

It's soul destroying.

I'm only looking forward to October where hopefully Christmas staff can be taken on anywhere and I get out of there. Because what I'm at isn't experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

A secretary, a caretaker and an art teacher's assistant..! Looks like they're planning on staffing the school with interns!? And they seem to do this every few months. It's a little annoying to see the scheme being used like this!

http://ie.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=ab8f25c159ac2e33&l=meath&tk=19ta6cqg11d548dr&from

http://ie.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=023d796f8a9d5de0&l=meath&tk=19ta6cqg11d548dr&from

http://ie.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=3c0aa24f02a64708&l=meath&tk=19ta6cqg11d548dr&from

Disgraceful. Another school in Meath is looking for a "Special Needs Assistant". No experience required! The Intern will.......blah blah blah.

Boston Scientific in Cork is looking for a technician of some sort. 2 of them.

A multi national company can and should be able to pay their staff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Boston Scientific in Cork is looking for a technician of some sort. 2 of them.

A multi national company can and should be able to pay their staff.

If only the Labour party were in Government. . .

Advertisement