Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Kelleherqueen

I see the company that produces Ros Na Rún have FIVE Jobbridge vacancies up. Camera operators, editors, etc.

Hey, I was at an interview for the design assistant internship with ros na run today, you're right they've had multiple job postings for jobbridge, companies are allowed one intern per ten employees. I got a brill vibe from the company though I must say. Very professional and welcoming. Areas like television and film thrive on practical experience, you need it and as a recent media graduate I think jobbridge is my only route to get in to the industry bc other jobs require experience. Normally I disagree with jobbridge schemes as there is definitely exploitation going on but it hasn't been sufficiently regulated from the start... cleaning, basic admin, operating a cash register, etc, jobbridge schemes such as these should be banned but the dept of social protection are not regulating them properly. However I do hope to be successful in the internship with ros an run. I think majority of companies take advantage but tg4 are justified when work ing in the media is so competitive. Just my opinion. On that note, did anyone else attend interviews there for this internship of another? I'd be interested in hearing others experiences !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This one created a bit of a fuss in the local media
    Clinical Psychology Assistant

Created on: 17/08/2015 | Updated on: 20/08/2015 | Displayed until 12/10/2015 39 days from now

Based in WATERFORD CITY Ref. INTE-963303

The intern will gain practical experience in devising and collating data for clinical research projects, audit and service developments. Clinical duties under supervision at an appropriate level for an intern. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: Clinical Audit, Research ethics, Research skills relevant to Clinical Psychology, Service evaluation, Scoring and interpretation of psychometric tests, Assisting to run therapy groups and Project Management. On completion the intern will have attained skills in areas required for Clinical Psychology

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Just looking at a couple of internships on the Job Bridge programme and found a vet wanted on Internship and a special needs assistant needed on it.

€50 on top of your dole and only 9months - whats your view on this, is it exploitation? - does it just make the government unemployment statistics look better if people get one of these 'jobs' ? - is it slave labour and expecting people to do a qualified job but for a fraction of wages that a fully trained person in the same position would get?

Anyone on here on this at the moment? or been on it?, whats your view?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I think there's potential for a decent scheme but nobody seems to care about fixing it. from what I remember most places don't keep the person on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Nothing but cheap labour.

Internships for glass cleaning, shelf stacking etc says it all. Looks good for unemployment figures and keeps employers happy. Win win for government.

• Advertisement

Internships for glass cleaning, shelf stacking etc says it all. Looks good for unemployment figures and keeps employers happy. Win win for government.

thats when your talking about glass cleaning and shelf stacking but its got to be another thing when its affecting other people such as a vacancy for a SNA or affecting animals for the position of a vet on Job Bridge and also found a position for a physical psychologist for the HSE ... no prior experience required!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

If a small business is looking for a person to train and then keep them after the internship period is over, I'm all for it.... Unfortunately, we've all seen clear and blatant exploitation of the core idea of the scheme, and that's why people are getting understandably angry and disheartened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

In a word...exploitation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

I think there's potential for a decent scheme but nobody seems to care about fixing it. from what I remember most places don't keep the person on.

This. The problem is that a lot of the "internships" are for very basic jobs anyways which should be cut down. There are literally no skills to be gleamed from working in a shop. No matter how anyone tries and spins it. It's a shop, put some stuff on a shelf and take money from people who take said stuff off the shelf...but sure "I've gained brilliant organization skills."

Rubbish. Internships should be for real jobs that actually takes effort to get. My friend recently did one with a local radio station. Good, because in fairness how is he going to get radio equipment skills outside a practical internship? That has pushed him on and he really wants to be in some media form now. So there's a win because he knows what he wants and has an experience in actually doing it, actually developing something bar sitting on his hole all day, getting depressed and bitter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I had to spend a few weeks on me stamps about seven or eight years ago when awaiting clearance for changing jobs. I'd have gladly shovelled dung for a few extra quid a week. That's the problem with people today, a good honest day's work is beneath them, but sitting around on their hole somehow isn't.

That's just as much a reason for not being kept on as exploitation is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

The employer should pay towards it too, to bring it to at least minimum wage. Totally shocking that employers get workers for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

This. The problem is that a lot of the "internships" are for very basic jobs anyways which should be cut down. There are literally no skills to be gleamed from working in a shop. No matter how anyone tries and spins it. It's a shop, put some stuff on a shelf and take money from people who take said stuff off the shelf...but sure "I've gained brilliant organization skills."

Rubbish. Internships should be for real jobs that actually takes effort to get. My friend recently did one with a local radio station. Good, because in fairness how is he going to get radio equipment skills outside a practical internship? That has pushed him on and he really wants to be in some media form now. So there's a win because he knows what he wants and has an experience in actually doing it, actually developing something bar sitting on his hole all day, getting depressed and bitter.[/quote

Anyone who has made a career from retail has just laughed heartily at this post,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

In a word...exploitation

This

Went for an internship about 6 months ago with the possibility of kept on after...maybe... I knew it was a lie... I didnt get it and i didn't get a reply... I had the qualifications but no experience or very little of it...

The position is re advertised 6 months later but they are looking for a newly qualified person... These newly qualified people are coming out with experience as they spend weeks every year of their course on work experience. They do not pass their exams without completing practical aspects learned on the job.

And here i was... Couldn't get work, its been a while since college and i wanted to use jobbridge to get back into it.

But these employers can get qualified people for nothing and let them go again.

Its a bloody disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

This

Went for an internship about 6 months ago with the possibility of kept on after...maybe... I knew it was a lie... I didnt get it and i didn't get a reply... I had the qualifications but no experience or very little of it...

The position is re advertised 6 months later but they are looking for a newly qualified person... These newly qualified people are coming out with experience as they spend weeks every year of their course on work experience. They do not pass their exams without completing practical aspects learned on the job.

And here i was... Couldn't get work, its been a while since college and i wanted to use jobbridge to get back into it.

But these employers can get qualified people for nothing and let them go again.

Its a bloody disgrace.

Watched my sister go through 2 of them,did nothing but make a mug of the girl.if anything it and the recession have set workers rights back years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Waste of time I'm stuck in one for another month can go scratch then.

I'm used to hard work but its a load of rubbish doing more than I should out on deliveries two three days a week went a whole month without a lunch and you can't say feck all .

Internship my arse got a text to say welcome to the job bridge and that's been it for last 8months real good system of how to exploit people and get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm on an internship for several months now and nearly due to finish.Want my honest take? It's all bollocks.

It's just free labor. I feel I am at the point that I do not want to work there. Speaking of which I highly doubt I would get offered a job anyways. Problem is so many companies in my industry are abusing the jobsbridge too.

But as for the company I 'work' for the abusement of the schemes (yes there is more than jobsbridge) is a complete joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

In our company a lot of "new hires" are Job bridge and all get converted into employees after 5-6 months.

Good way to vet people, most are useless but at least you get to weed out the pure useless.

I think people who complain about it just are too used to the dole. Wanting everything for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I had to spend a few weeks on me stamps about seven or eight years ago when awaiting clearance for changing jobs. I'd have gladly shovelled dung for a few extra quid a week. That's the problem with people today, a good honest day's work is beneath them, but sitting around on their hole somehow isn't.

That's just as much a reason for not being kept on as exploitation is.

And then you have this pish, if you don't work like the proverbial and for buttons you're a good for nothing layabout.

How about paying a fair wage for a fair days work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

In 90% of cases pure slave labour. Employers who have real needs taking on free labour. I can name some employers who have filled the same role 3 times consecutively with a free intern.

Suits Govt to massage the true unemployment figures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

It can be done right once proper jobs are on it not your mushroom pickers, window cleaners and car washers.

The likes of a commie chef is a great job to have on it. As someone who wants to cook for the bottom up will be teached and more then likely if there any good or have a flar for it will be kept on full time after say the 6 month placement.

But some take the piss with offering jobs that would be at lest 25k a year min. Such as a IT support engineer in witch you must have your own car to go around fixing peoples software and computers or a Java programer with a years exp in it.

Like it should be used for a Skill or a Trade that can be used in getting a job afterwords. Not for jobs for highly skilled College grads with no exp

even worse must be the CE scheme in place - €20 euro extra on the dole you get!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The likes of a commie chef is a great job to have on it.

Commie chefs are too much trouble. They'd have the whole place out on strike within a week. Get one of these instead.

http://www.caterer.com/careers-advice/job-profiles/commis-chef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I think it can be worthwhile for some jobs.

For example, I know a few IT graduates who having finished their degree couldn't get jobs because no employers would look at them as they had no experience.

One of the larger IT consultancy firms offered them a Job Bridge internship and offered them free of charge to a client. A year later, they're in good paying jobs because they got experience that they wouldn't have got otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

Should be grateful you have a job to go to if you do get one! People looking down on any of these roles is what is wrong with the country. Nothing wrong with getting a job bridge placement for a shop assistant or a cleaner if you have never done them before and have no skills whatsoever. After the internship you will have the skills and expierence to stand out from other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

even worse must be the CE scheme in place - €20 euro extra on the dole you get!

Id disagree with you there. CE schemes are capped at 19.5 hours a week so you still have time to look for other work or study. I worked on one in a not for profit industry that could not have functioned without CE staff, the work was rewarding and I and the other staff were valued and well treated. The downside was there was never going to be the opportunity to be employed there full time but I feel it was worthwhile.

On the other hand job bridge is blatant, unashamed exploitation for the profit of the employer and a convenient numbers redistribution for the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

5,000 is the number on jobsbridge.

Hardly a huge number to make the government look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Pink Lemons

booooring! wrote: »
    Should be grateful you have a job to go to if you do get one! People looking down on any of these roles is what is wrong with the country. Nothing wrong with getting a job bridge placement for a shop assistant or a cleaner if you have never done them before and have no skills whatsoever. After the internship you will have the skills and expierence to stand out from other people.

Think you're missing the point to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Mixed views At the start i just considered it glorified slavery, but just last week one of my best mates who was on the scratch for 4 years landed a fairly high (ish) paid job in one of Dublins most prestigious hotels,straight from job bridge,so for a certain lucky few it does pay off,but I have to concede 90% of people just get screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Advertisement