Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

18 months now!? :pac:

Was announced about 2 weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

A joke , keep people off the dole for longer that's all it is

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

i think joan doesnt want any votes next election

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Sala wrote: »
    Well, now you can do it for a further 9 months:rolleyes:

i have a job now... but not with the same place i did that stupid internship for

im basically a trained chimp in my new job but at least the did offer training.... paid in peanuts too :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

i think joan doesnt want any votes next election

She wont be getting mine and thats for sure and Im a voter in her constituency. My brother always voted for her too and he said he will never do it again.

I cant belive she let it be extended to 18 months

Look at these 2 jobs advertised on there

Hair Salon Assistant
    The intern will gain practical experience in one of our five hair salons. On joining, the intern will be assessed to determine their skill level. New entrants will initially develop their washing and blow dry skills. However more skilled interns will migrate to working in colour and styling. This training will initially be done under the supervision of the head stylist with the intern having more autonomy depending on the level of progress made. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following - colour & styling. The intern will have day releases from the salon to attend the firms in house training courses where their skills will be observed and developed through instruction and experimentation. On completion the intern will have attained skills in hair styling and colour, customer interaction and the experience of operating as part of a team.

They have 5 salons surely it wouldn't break the bank to pay someone

Then this one

Butchers Assistant
    The intern will gain practical experience in all areas of retail butchering. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: safe knife handling, meat cutting/preparation, equipment operation, quality control, customer care & sales, safety & hygiene systems. On completion the intern will have attained skills in all aspects of working in a retail butchers shop.

Skills Requirements
    Ideally suited to someone who wants to develop a career in food retail. Outgoing personality with excellent customer service skills.

Does anyone in fas check these postions before they advertise them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

jjbrien wrote: »
    She wont be getting mine and thats for sure and Im a voter in her constituency. My brother always voted for her too and he said he will never do it again.

Look at these 2 jobs advertised on there

Hair Salon Assistant

They have 5 salons surely it wouldn't break the bank to pay someone

Then this one

Butchers Assistant

Does anyone in fas check these postions before they advertise them?

If they did they would stop the employer taking on someone already qualified for the job as preference. it's supposed to be training not free labour. And for anything manual or easy why is it an internship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

jjbrien wrote: »

Let it? It's all her. It's all down to her. She's not 'letting' anyone go ahead with this, she's implementing it.
    Heard there was meant to be a protest in Dublin today outside the FAS office over this. Anyone hear about this?

If they did they would stop the employer taking on someone already qualified for the job as preference. it's supposed to be training not free labour. And for anything manual or easy why is it an internship

It was started to give graduates a chance to get experience working for companies in their field of expertise and to get them a job in the end of it. It was never meant for training people in something they never did before, but with how greedy businesses are in this country of course they went and took advantage over it and now it has just turned into glorified slave labour that is wrecking the economy even more. Any job I see advertised now is on of these and it is just a revolving door, once one intern goes, they just hire a new one, people get paid a pittance on it and stores complain people are not buying their goods, of course they are not when the same stores will not hire staff and pay them a proper wage that leaves them with money in their pockets to go out and buy something more than the essentials.

Xenji wrote: »
    It was started to give graduates a chance to get experience working for companies in their field of expertise and to get them a job in the end of it. It was never meant for training people in something they never did before, but with how greedy businesses are in this country of course they went and took advantage over it.

Yes this is true not fully qualified out of work people for example. Lots of laid off construction workers could for example be trained up into call centre work . But as you stated greedy companies jump on the band wagon and see it as a form of free labour. And threaten people if they don’t do what they say with reporting them to the Social. My feeling are if a company has threatened reporting someone with no grounds the person should report the company and they should be black listed from the scheme for abusing the unemployed.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Let it? It's all her. It's all down to her. She's not 'letting' anyone go ahead with this, she's implementing it.
    Heard there was meant to be a protest in Dublin today outside the FAS office over this. Anyone hear about this?

Article here about it https://www.newstalk.ie/Protest-against-JobBridge-scheme-to-take-place-in-Dublin

Not sure where they pulled that 52% figure of people getting paid employment out of it, I know nobody that has been kept on, and not many here have mentioned people being kept on either, but then again if true it means that you only have a 50/50 chance of getting held on.

The Jobsplus thing now is also a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Article here about it https://www.newstalk.ie/Protest-against-JobBridge-scheme-to-take-place-in-Dublin

Not sure where they pulled that 52% figure of people getting paid employment out of it, I know nobody that has been kept on, and not many here have mentioned people being kept on either, but then again if true it means that you only have a 50/50 chance of getting held on.

Governments love putting the word "Jobs..." into the title of somthing that is actually the polar opposite...jobstown springs to mind..there are plenty of others.. If it was called Con-jobs-bridge it would be more honest but might lack immediate appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I'd imagine the 52% is the amount of people who've gotten a job since completing it. Not necessarily in the same place, or the same sector. And keep in mind those that completed it, not all who have done it have completed it.
    As it happens I got a job almost directly after finishing mine, with a different company, but I still would be against this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Shout Dust wrote: »
    How does extending the period to 18 months make any sense at all? 9 months seemed long enough, generally you'd know if someone was a fit for the job after 3 months. Whats worse is there's no guarantee of a job at the end of it

To be fair for many of the types of positions being advertised you would know after a couple of weeks if the person was up to it. They would be low skilled, minimum, or close to it, waged jobs. The types of jobs that many of us did when we were young teenagers to earn a few quid. Didnt need 9-18 months unpaid training to do it.

Christmas is on the way. Await the many Jobbridge internships in merchandising, till operation, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

SeaFields wrote: »
    To be fair for many of the types of positions being advertised you would know after a couple of weeks if the person was up to it. They would be low skilled, minimum, or close to it, waged jobs. The types of jobs that many of us did when we were young teenagers to earn a few quid. Didnt need 9-18 months unpaid training to do it.

Christmas is on the way. Await the many Jobbridge internships in merchandising, till operation, etc.
    It kicks the unemployment figures "can" down the road by another few months. Anything that promises results for months is being seized on. The current government consider that almost a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

At the start it was meant to be for graduates to get more real world experience after they finished their courses and that the majority of them would get a job at the end of it and not emigrate. Then other businesses caught wind out it and flooded the site with positions that anyone without any experience could take and then pass off the slave labour as training, you have some offerings that do not require any level of education, such as the numerous housekeeping advertisments. ISME went as far as sending a circular around to members encouraging the idea as it would save them having to pay staff and help them out during the hard times of the recession and basically how to exploit the scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Skills in cash handling? If you are old enough to work and havent developed the ability to handle cash I doubt they will be keeping you.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

My own favorite scambridge was the one in carlow looking for an intern to wash cars....9mths to learn how to hoover the inside and wash the outside.....:mad:

denlaw wrote: »
    My own favorite scambridge was the one in carlow looking for an intern to wash cars....9mths to learn how to hoover the inside and wash the outside.....:mad:

Agree, but if you reported this internship you would have got a reply as i did a few months back when i reported one, i sent my email and got a reply back 5 miins later "This internship means the requirements of our criteria", i was surprise how quick i got a reply back, it must have beena automated service, by the speed of reply, doubt my complain was even looked into.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Agree, but if you reported this internship you would have got a reply as i did a few months back when i reported one, i sent my email and got a reply back 5 miins later "This internship means the requirements of our criteria", i was surprise how quick i got a reply back, it must have beena automated service, by the speed of reply, doubt my complain was even looked into.

If you feel so strongly about it why didn't you go the the Ombudsman instead of moaning about it on boards? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

If you feel so strongly about it why didn't you go the the Ombudsman instead of moaning about it on boards? :confused:

Probably because Boards is sometimes the internet equivalent of the Joe Duffy show?

yeah,nobody has a moan on boards ,what f..king planet are you on ?

Ah that old chestnut close it down then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Yes, i've heard about these "requirements", another one is from a friends son who graduated with a degree in agricultural science, he saw an internship with a large farmer, thought this would be ideal to progress, spent the first mth picking stones from fields..he left after that..if it looks like a scam, smells like a scam....

I was interested on a course being advertised so went along to the open day where a good 3/4 of those in attendance were unemployed and had to be there or risk losing their payment. The first half if the information session was dedicated to talking about fas, jobsbridge and other government initiatives. The woman giving the talk repeatedly spoke about what a success jobsbridge was and about how 75% of all interns get full time work from the employer once the 9 month period is up.

Being a little bored by all his I asked her how they had arrived at the figure. She told us that they look at live register figures and other sources and its compiled for them. I asked if the figures took into account immigration, part time teachers and students who sign in during the summer, etc and the reply I got was "sure those are such small figures they'd have no bearing on the overall figures".

The sooner all these schemes are scrapped the better. They exist solely to help the government massage the unemployment figures and look good. They'd sooner see the unemployed shipped off to some foreign land than they would do something about the unemployment system. The manner in which they have allowed jobsbridge to be abused is shameful. If operated correctly it could do a lot to create jobs but with companies laying off workers simply to avail of free labor and jobs such as cleaners and dishwashers being advertised its going to do absolutely nothing other than out a few more euros in the pockets of business who can easily afford to hire staff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Chris___ wrote: »
    I know people who have done courses to learn how to properly valet a car. They spent big money on these courses too. If that person was on unemployment benefit then doing that internship might give them the necessary training and skills to do the job adequately thus negating the need for the expensive course. At the end of the day, if it does that, then it's fulfilled the objective of the job-bridge scheme.

Advertisement