Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

When I did a CE Scheme, everyone there was doing a job that benefitted the community as a whole, which made the 19.5 hours for an extra 20 euro perfectly tolerable, in fact, I was only delighted to do it. It looked better than a blank space on the CV, gave me something to do, and with only a few hours a day it didn't feel anything like slavery.

Open to correction, but I don't believe Tus is the same, as it isn't "community employment", roles Fas was paying us to fill to benefit the general community?

I think the difference is that TUS doesn't offer any extra training or courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

I only get €100 from social welfare, so it's only €150 a week. I know what you're saying about working is better than nothing, and that's true.

But right now I'm in a pretty tight situation where I need the money and I'd rather do a job I hate for good money right now, than a job I hate for the sake of experience

€150 is nothing and then a whole weeks work on top it.

Jobbridge is taking real work out of it. Taking away the chance that people may get experience at a menial jobs during the summer for students and even normal people who would take anything... the likes of kitchen assistants, accommation assistants, car wash assistants, deli workers, retail assistants, farm workers, picking potatoes...

30 hours x 8.65 isn't too bad for an 18 year old or 20 year old. Its 259.50. The reason why i say 30 hours is because employers are cheap. But 260 is decent enough.

My first job was in a cafe... It didn't take a day to train me in. And there is a cafe assistant on jobbridge. My second and third job was in hotels. I got paid even for my training day.

How can people get experience with jobs like this being taken away? The whole point is to use your experience and get more work out of it. But i can tell you that the jobbridge i went for 6 months ago is re-advertised? Employers has no interest in creating jobs with a free labour scheme in place. How can people get of social welfare with a scheme like this in place?

Plenty of real jobs being taken away. It is a nasty rotten scheme.

^^ Very well said, Dogs Bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

While i have moaned about Jobbridge it can be helpful in some situations. At the moment i moved to a new field and need experience. There is little work unless i move to Dublin and when these local jobs arise i am under qualified for them.

I saw a Jobbridge with a big local company for what i needed to get experience in. This is ideal because it's a foot in the door and i would have a great chance of being kept on.

In situations like this i agree with it because it would really benefit my career to get the experience from working there.

The problem is i didn't even get a reply when i applied for it. With so little job opportunities companies can get in people with experience who are desperate to try get a foot back into the workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Tony EH wrote: »
    Sean shouldn't have to "improve" himself by being slave labour.

I agree but he's not a slave. Slaves by definition don't consent. A little less exaggeration and a little more accuracy please.

• Advertisement

Jobbridge is taking real work out of it. Taking away the chance that people may get experience at a menial jobs during the summer for students and even normal people who would take anything... the likes of kitchen assistants, accommation assistants, car wash assistants, deli workers, retail assistants, farm workers, picking potatoes...

30 hours x 8.65 isn't too bad for an 18 year old or 20 year old. Its 259.50. The reason why i say 30 hours is because employers are cheap. But 260 is decent enough.

My first job was in a cafe... It didn't take a day to train me in. And there is a cafe assistant on jobbridge. My second and third job was in hotels. I got paid even for my training day.

How can people get experience with jobs like this being taken away? The whole point is to use your experience and get more work out of it. But i can tell you that the jobbridge i went for 6 months ago is re-advertised? Employers has no interest in creating jobs with a free labour scheme in place. How can people get of social welfare with a scheme like this in place?

Jobs where kids leaving school or working part time in college are gone these days. These are replaced with jobbridge which is criminal. You have young people who leave school and can't get a job.

They either work for slave labour and get experience or they can go a long time without anything on the c.v. and fall into the long term unemployed group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Jobs where kids leaving school or working part time in college are gone these days. These are replaced with jobbridge which is criminal. You have young people who leave school and can't get a job.

They either work for slave labour and get experience or they can go a long time without anything on the c.v. and fall into the long term unemployed group.

By 'school' are you including college?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I agree but he's not a slave. Slaves by definition don't consent. A little less exaggeration and a little more accuracy please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Zx1_6F-nCaw

thanks for putting this in my head now

I think the scheme can be good for earning experience for those who really want/need it. its depressing to think of the lack of a formal offer at the end of it though. when you need structure in your lives, something to get out of bed for and away from the unemployed rut of sitting around pondering what to do, it can get you into a routine of productivity.

I don't like this idea of the scheme taking over the employment sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nuts102 wrote: »
    While i have moaned about Jobbridge it can be helpful in some situations. At the moment i moved to a new field and need experience. There is little work unless i move to Dublin and when these local jobs arise i am under qualified for them.

I saw a Jobbridge with a big local company for what i needed to get experience in. This is ideal because it's a foot in the door and i would have a great chance of being kept on.

In situations like this i agree with it because it would really benefit my career to get the experience from working there.

The problem is i didn't even get a reply when i applied for it. With so little job opportunities companies can get in people with experience who are desperate to try get a foot back into the workplace.

This is very common as companies are taking people with experience and a large skillset over fresh graduates, it is quite hard to actually get into something with a specific field of education without any previous experience, which is the total opposite of what the scheme was intended for, but hey abuses will never be looked at.

Even in the council they will usually go for people with degrees,coupled with any form of workplace experience over people wet behind the ears and straight out of 3rd level education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I think the difference is that TUS doesn't offer any extra training or courses.

My sister recently finished TUS and they dumped her after she spent a full year working there. No opportunity for a job there either. They just wanted free labour. 3 people that worked in this place she said were let go to take on TUS workers.

• Advertisement

By 'school' are you including college?

People finishing up school and not going to college who try get retail work etc by going to Super Value.

Or people who look for parttime work when trying to pay for college.

Lots of these jobs are not real jobs anymore and for young people it's really easy to fall into long term unemployment.

Xenji wrote: »
    This is very common as companies are taking people with experience and a large skillset over fresh graduates, it is quite hard to actually get into something with a specific field of education without any previous experience, which is the total opposite of what the scheme was intended for, but hey abuses will never be looked at.

Even in the council they will usually go for people with degrees,coupled with any form of workplace experience over people wet behind the ears and straight out of 3rd level education.
    Yeah, I would too. It shows they can hold down a job, even if it isn't completely relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/ nice just looking at top 20 jobs on offer that would usually pay 20-30k for managers,CAD architects go for 50e :D if it was serious positions,then it would be great why the hell spend 4y in college when you can be trained in 9 months on any top qualification,but seems more like they are looking for someone just to play around with.
    Also good to know stocking shelves is still 9month skill.

Its like them ads where it says hand made-imagine someone cutting your pringles each measured to size and match :pac:

My sister recently finished TUS and they dumped her after she spent a full year working there. No opportunity for a job there either. They just wanted free labour. 3 people that worked in this place she said were let go to take on TUS workers.

I doubt this very much as they are all community and voluntary jobs.

"Community and voluntary organisations

The work placements are proposed and provided by community and voluntary organisations. The organisations must provide good quality work opportunities that are of benefit to the community. Organisations with a proposed work placement should register with the local development company or Údarás na Gaeltachta in their area. They will be asked to submit a proposal detailing the work and the number of participants requested. The local development company or Údarás na Gaeltachta will assess and make a decision on the proposal."
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/employment_support_schemes/tus.html

What if unemployed people have no option and they are threathened with the line "your dole will be cut".

Thats not consent.

Jobbridge isnt optional which some people may think it is... If you're under 25, it isn't optional. I'm over 25, and it was part of my personal progression plan to get a jobbridge and if you don't follow that, you also get threathened. Tus and getway is more slavery.

Its not consent if people get threathened with the very last bit of money taken of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

What if unemployed people have no option and they are threathened with the line "your dole will be cut".

Thats not consent.

Jobbridge isnt optional which some people may think it is... If you're under 25, it isn't optional. I'm over 25, and it was part of my personal progression plan to get a jobbridge and if you don't follow that, you also get threathened. Tus and getway is more slavery.

Its not consent if people get threathened with the very last bit of money taken of them.

Speak for yourself, I did a Tus scheme and it was fantastic, ended up working there for another year, and now I'm in the same area earning more money in an area I never would have imagined working in. I was threatened with the "you'll be cut off" line, but I actually stuck to my guns and my life's all the better for it.

Thats not consent.

As the poster above me pointed out there are many alternatives to Jobsbridge.

That money is conditional on you seeking every opportunity to improve your chances of getting employment. It isn't free money, it comes with conditions attached which you agree to when you sign on, expecting you to live up to your side of the agreement in good faith is not slavery. :)

That money is conditional on you seeking every opportunity to improve your chances of getting employment. It isn't free money, it comes with conditions attached which you agree to when you sign on, expecting you to live up to your side of the agreement in good faith is not slavery. :)

Just in case if you haven't noticed, thousands and thousands of people lost their jobs during the recession. People emigrated. And there are over 25 people to every job advertised. Its not very easy to get work. So I'm not really sure why you made out as if i like to sit on my hole and get free money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Is it not just have to be available/actively seeking work??

I hope this scheme gets scrapped in the budget...if a business can't afford to pay its staff let it go under

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I doubt this very much as they are all community and voluntary jobs.

"Community and voluntary organisations

The work placements are proposed and provided by community and voluntary organisations. The organisations must provide good quality work opportunities that are of benefit to the community. Organisations with a proposed work placement should register with the local development company or Údarás na Gaeltachta in their area. They will be asked to submit a proposal detailing the work and the number of participants requested. The local development company or Údarás na Gaeltachta will assess and make a decision on the proposal."
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/employment_support_schemes/tus.html

Nope, the three workers were paid workers, I'm not going to name the place here, but this is a fact regardless of law. It happens all the time/abused.

• Advertisement

Just in case if you haven't noticed, thousands and thousands of people lost their jobs during the recession. People emigrated. And there are over 25 people to every job advertised. Its not very easy to get work. So I'm not really sure why you made out as if i like to sit on my hole and get free money.
    Irrelevant statistic, you aren't competing against 25 people when you apply or a job.

I didn't say you were sitting on your hole but your reluctance to participate in employment schemes implies you're not satisfying the conditions attached to your weekly stipend. That's not slavery, that's expecting you to fulfil your obligations.

Is it not just have to be available/actively seeking work??

I hope this scheme gets scrapped in the budget...if a business can't afford to pay its staff let it go under
    Nope, a person also has to be willing to participate in employment schemes as determined by the dept of social welfare.

It won't be scrapped in the next budget, Jobbridge is co-funded by the European Commission as part of the Youth Initiative and European Social Fund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Nope, a person also has to be willing to participate in employment schemes as determined by the dept or social welfare.

:pac:
    I was unemployed and that's all was on my slips/asked
    I was brought into a meeting and they tried to get me to do a jobbridge (After 2 months) but your wan that used be doing up me cv etc told me to tell em I wouldn't as I was 3/4 way though an apprenticeship and they are a waste of time

:pac:
    I was unemployed and that's all was on my slips/asked
    I was brought into a meeting and they tried to get me to do a jobbridge (After 2 months) but your wan that used be doing up me cv etc told me to tell em I wouldn't as I was 3/4 way though an apprenticeship and they are a waste of time
    That's fair enough. You were doing an apprenticeship.

Irrelevant statistic, you aren't competing against 25 people when you apply or a job.

I didn't say you were sitting on your hole but your reluctance to participate in employment schemes implies you're not satisfying the conditions attached to your weekly stipend. That's not slavery, that's expecting you to fulfil your obligations.

My reluctance to participate in schemes?

I'm halfway doing a cleaning jobbridge. Is that not good enough for you?

I am fully qualified and took a jobbridge as an assistant... Helping out people with the same qualifications as me. I don't get experience in what i qualified as. I pretty much clean and help out people. Its a level below to what i should be doing. I thought it could be my foot in the door but its not. Students get to do more.

Is that not good enough for you, mrs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

how do they determine when to offer someone Jobbridge ?as poster above says he got called in after 2 months ? Like is there some sort of quota when they reach certain % of people to round them up to knock numbers down,or what way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

...and so are the people that support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Oh please...

Stop making excuses for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

the_syco wrote: »
    Correct. He should improve himself by going to college.

No. Seriously :pac:

I have a bachelor's degree from UCD. A 2:1 as well. I graduated in 2014...

• Advertisement

Yeah, I would too. It shows they can hold down a job, even if it isn't completely relevant.

That shows exactly why you would be part of the problem, Jobbridge should be to help young people get experience to help kicks start their career when they leave college.

A friend in his old job was helping the boss interview for an accountant Jobbridge position. He said he felt so akward as he was interviewing people who were much more experienced then he was for a jobbridge position.

He left soon after and asked the man he hired why he would do a jobbridge. he said he worked all his life and only got a few euro a week from the social welfare. Jobbridge as degrading as it was for him meant he earned something he could live on.

The youth of today and the people who paid taxes all their life's are the biggest losers in this scheme. Also the long life workers who can barely get a few euro a week when out of work.

I am sure some people are benefiting but overall i think this is in the long run going to ruin the country further. Young people who are going to end up being to lifers because they can't get a job when they leave school and end up with years of a gap on their c.v.

The only people benefiting here are the employers.

Advertisement