Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Only found out, that people who are entitled to nothing from SW on means test can be placed on Jobsbridge.

That is, literally work a full 40 hour week and receive the entire sum of €50 !!

What scumbag employers would do this!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Only found out, that people who are entitled to nothing from SW on means test can be placed on Jobsbridge.

That is, literally work a full 40 hour week and receive the entire sum of €50 !!

What scumbag employers would do this!?

But if you refuse, what can they threaten to cut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

hynesie08 wrote: »
    But if you refuse, what can they threaten to cut?

Companies interviewing candidates for advertised jobs, then asking them to go Jobsbridge route with the promise of potential hire in 9 months, but waiving goodbye to them and starting the free labour cycle all over again.

THIS IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING!!

Getting about €1 per hour for a full weeks work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

Companies interviewing candidates for advertised jobs, then asking them to go Jobsbridge route with the promise of potential hire in 9 months, but waiving goodbye to them and starting the free labour cycle all over again.

****ing disgrace. I wonder would Enda or Moan Burton do it ? would they ****

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I am surprised the scrapping of the cooling off period did not make more waves, we get the intern to come in the week the other intern is leaving, so the departing intern can show the new one what to do and train them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Xenji wrote: »
    I am surprised the scrapping of the cooling off period did not make more waves, we get the intern to come in the week the other intern is leaving, so the departing intern can show the new one what to do and train them up.
    Well if there's ever a time for a person to say, 'No, sod off', that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Wailin

Seriously lads, over 5000 posts......I think we get the picture on job bridge now at this stage, it's complete bollocks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wailin wrote: »
    Seriously lads, over 5000 posts......I think we get the picture on job bridge now at this stage, it's complete bollocks.

For the most part it is. Not always. My brother got skills that have landed him a full time job (in a different company).

In theory the system is a good one. Two flaws nèd to be fixed. One, oversight, have some one employed to check over the job bridges, any company taking the Mick, red card and not allowed back onto it, ever again. At the same time, any company persistently readvertising the same or similar overy time without the participants getting employed there or elsewhere shold be investigated and the same thing happen. Two, either increase the contribution to make it a minimum payment ie no matter what your current payment is so that it becomes a minimum level eg 300 euro and have the company contribute the difference. Write it off against tax so it cost them sweet FA.

Before I got my current job I interviewed for a number of jobs and got two offers of a job withing a week or so of each other. Discussed salary and all that on the phone with both and then got calls from both telling me of this great scheme called jobbridge that would allow me to get 9 months experience and still get my JSA. They seemed ecstatic about it and kept telling me how beneficial it would be, I asked would they be topping up the payment each week so as to bring it to what they offered. You can guess the answer to that one. Jobbridge is taking jobs away, that's just two examples of it and where I'm working now the boss wants to take on at least two jobsbridge candidates for nine months and then "get two more". These are jobs which should be paid as the roles she wants to fill can be taught in a week or so. The worst part is that there are roles that need to be filled by people with experience, I'm doing all the online aspects of the business and it really needs two people, I suggested we get a second person in and was told, "only if it's jobsbridge".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

Wailin wrote: »

Nope, just people too lazy to do a weeks work an think they should be handed 238 for nothing. Doing jobbridge looks better on a C.V than sitting on your hole doing nothing. I know people who got full time jobs out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Before I got my current job I interviewed for a number of jobs and got two offers of a job withing a week or so of each other. Discussed salary and all that on the phone with both and then got calls from both telling me of this great scheme called jobbridge that would allow me to get 9 months experience and still get my JSA. They seemed ecstatic about it and kept telling me how beneficial it would be, I asked would they be topping up the payment each week so as to bring it to what they offered. You can guess the answer to that one. Jobbridge is taking jobs away, that's just two examples of it and where I'm working now the boss wants to take on at least two jobsbridge candidates for nine months and then "get two more". These are jobs which should be paid as the roles she wants to fill can be taught in a week or so. The worst part is that there are roles that need to be filled by people with experience, I'm doing all the online aspects of the business and it really needs two people, I suggested we get a second person in and was told, "only if it's jobsbridge".
    You're making the assumption that the company would take on the same number of people if Jobbridge didn't exist. That's an unrealistic assumption.

No assumption being made, if jobsbridge did not exist they would be hiring and paying two new employees, they've said as much but I'm sure you'll find a way to spin that. Jobsbridge is not creating jobs, it's being abused for all it's worth and the fact that in many places they have jobsbridge interns training their jobsbridge replacements says it all

No assumption being made, if jobsbridge did not exist they would be hiring and paying two new employees, they've said as much but I'm sure you'll find a way to spin that. Jobsbridge is not creating jobs, it's being abused for all it's worth and the fact that in many places they have jobsbridge interns training their jobsbridge replacements says it all

Ok well if your employer said these would be paid jobs if jobbridge did not exist (and I doubt he did, a least publicly) then we can take his word for it. But you can't then make a link to the wider economy extrapolating that your personal experience is indicative of the bigger picture.

The labor market is like any other, lower the cost of employing a person and companies will employ more people. Companies would rather pay two people 20k than one person 40k if they can get away with it. The same is true for jobbridge, it allows companies to hire more people than they otherwise would.

Do you have any evidence to back up your statement that jobbridge is reducing the number of paid jobs? Because apart from very low skilled or blue collar work I can't see how that would be feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The same is true for jobbridge, it allows companies to hire more people than they otherwise would.
    They're not hiring anyone. Hiring implies paying. They're not paying. They're getting free labour, funded by the government, while the government fiddles the unemployed numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Do you have any evidence to back up your statement that jobbridge is reducing the number of paid jobs? Because apart from very low skilled or blue collar work I can't see how that would be feasible.

Have you actually looked at JB website ?

School Secretary,Administration Assistant,Quantity Surveying Estimating Assitant,Business Support Administrator,Accounts Administrator,Childcare Worker

I could post another 100 positions just off today,but clearly your thinking isnt on par with the topic more like your views,if thats not real jobs being taken out otherwise then i dont imagine what is.

Those are real jobs that require experience and otherwise would be filled easily by hiring right candidates or training them if needed,thus resulting in proper pay not 50e a week supplement-for 9 months after they would rinse and repeat.

mickstupp wrote: »
    They're not hiring anyone. Hiring implies paying. They're not paying. They're getting free labour, funded by the government, while the government fiddles the unemployed numbers.

Evidence?

scamalert wrote: »
    Have you actually looked at JB website ?

School Secretary,Administration Assistant,Quantity Surveying Estimating Assitant,Business Support Administrator,Accounts Administrator,Childcare Worker

I could post another 100 positions just off today,but clearly your thinking isnt on par with the topic more like your views,if thats not real jobs being taken out otherwise then i dont imagine what is.

Those are real jobs that require experience and otherwise would be filled easily by hiring right candidates or training them if needed,thus resulting in proper pay not 50e a week supplement-for 9 months after they would rinse and repeat.
    Again. You're making the assumption that the same number of jobs would exist in the market if jobbridge didn't exist. That's an unrealistic assumption.

Imagine I run a company and hired one accountant. Jobbridge is brought in and I choose to hire two junior accountants on the scheme to work under the existing accountant. Jobbridge hasn't taken any jobs there and has actually provided two.

Now you might say the two junior boyos will replace the senior but that's something you would need to support with evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Jobbridge hasn't taken any jobs there and has actually provided two.

They're not jobs.

osarusan wrote: »
    They're not jobs.

Yes they are.

• Advertisement

Yes they are.

They are unpaid internships, if they were real jobs then the employer would have to be paying them, paying taxes and the employee would also have to be paying taxes.

They are unpaid internships, if they were real jobs then the employer would have to be paying them, paying taxes and the employee would also have to be paying taxes.

An internship is a job. A stipend is not a condition to classify a position as a job.

Even an unpaid job is still a job.

An internship is a job. A stipend is not a condition to classify a position as a job.

If it is a job, why are interns still classed being unemployed.

Also, further proof it is not a job as you are not an employee.
    The Social Welfare and Pensions Act 2011 introduced the JobBridge scheme and specifically provided that an intern under the scheme is “deemed not to be an employee”. The Oireachtas saw the need to provide a specific statutory exemption to what would otherwise be an employment situation, clear recognition that internships are in the nature of employment.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/are-interns-employees-or-volunteers-1.1870958

Actually that is a very good article.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Doing an unpaid job is called volunteering. No one would ever call a role that they are doing for free a job, no way and Iv'e volunteered a good bit myself and always call it that when I'm discussing it.

If it is a job, why are interns still classed being unemployed.

Also, further proof it is not a job as you are not an employee.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/are-interns-employees-or-volunteers-1.1870958

Actually that is a very good article.
    You've answered your own question. Jobbridge interns are classified as unemployed because the relevant legislation mandates it.

To answer your second point. Lots of unemployed people have jobs, they're called nixers. You don't need to be classified as employed to have a job and a job does not have to be paid to be classified as being a job.

fin12 wrote: »
    Doing an unpaid job is called volunteering. No one would ever call a role that they are doing for free a job, no way and Iv'e volunteered a good bit myself and always call it that when I'm discussing it.
    Erm, I don't know who you've been talking to but volunteers often refer to their work as a job. Which it is, an unpaid voluntary job is still a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Erm, I don't know who you've been talking to but volunteers often refer to their work as a job. Which it is, an unpaid voluntary job is still a job.

Erm....no

Wang King wrote: »
    Erm....no
    Erm.... yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Erm.... yes.

The very definition of job is paid employment, look it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

You've answered your own question. Jobbridge interns are classified as unemployed because the relevant legislation mandates it.

To answer your second point. Lots of unemployed people have jobs, they're called nixers. You don't need to be classified as employed to have a job and a job does not have to be paid to be classified as being a job.

A nixer is a bit of work done on the side by employed people, painters, carpenters, electricians etc. Anyone who is unemployed and claming the dole while working is committing fraud. To be honest it's quiet clear you haven't a clue what you're talking about in this thread.

Advertisement