Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I done a springboard course so i was still receiving job seekers allowance, now working part time i am on x@o's if that makes it any clearer.

You would be better probably to ask yourself, but I think if you went on the x's and o's after your course, you would have to wait 3 months from the day you were but on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Xenji wrote: »
    You would be better probably to ask yourself, but I think if you went on the x's and o's after your course, you would have to wait 3 months from the day you were but on them.

I googled and it seems if you are on Jobbridge you can take up part-time work. But i don't know if you can go from part-time to a Jobbridge.

I will have to call down to them in the morning before the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

http://www.tv3.ie/careers.php?position=312
    Graphic Design Internship

The successful Intern will gain excellent experience in a fast-paced Television environment. More specifically you will obtain great experience in working closely with the creative, marketing and online teams. You will also gain experience across both print and online.

Proficiency in current graphic design practices and production software, such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Indesign, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Flash, Keynote, Microsoft Office etc. is required. A working knowledge of the web design is advantageous. Ability to effective manage multiple projects/tasks of varying complexities is required, with a strong typography skill in both print and digital media. We are looking for someone who thrives working under pressure and is an active team player.

A degree in graphic design is required or a relevant qualification.

To apply please send a cover letter, CV together with a sample of your work to denise.murphy@tv3.ie to arrive no later than Thursday 8th October 2015. Please ensure that you have “Graphic Design Internship” in the subject line of your email.

TV3 is an equal opportunities employer.

TV3 are now at it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

To be fair to TV3, I can't find that internship on Jobbridge, here's the list of Arts/Media/Design internships in Dublin. Still, it's bollocks that someone with the skills mentioned in that advert has to take an internship.

I'm expecting a Randroid to come along and condescend to us shortly. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Benteke wrote: »

There would be enough learning and contacts in that TV3 job to keep the intern improving for the full jobsbridge term.

(Though designer company founders do exist that disagree and say never do freebies, even making concepts and the cost of bids should be billed. Otherwise it devalues the entire profession where the customer is perfectly capable of paying...)

It's the jobs where the intern has the basics learned in a week and full proficiency in a month or two that must be cut short and converted / phased to unsubsidized employer paid work.

Internships have a place, but the real world value of the training to the intern should be in line with the unpaid wages.

• Advertisement

ressem wrote: »
    There would be enough learning and contacts in that TV3 job to keep the intern improving for the full jobsbridge term.

(Though designer company founders do exist that disagree and say never do freebies, even making concepts and the cost of bids should be billed. Otherwise it devalues the entire profession where the customer is perfectly capable of paying...)

It's the jobs where the intern has the basics learned in a week and full proficiency in a month or two that must be cut short and converted / phased to unsubsidized employer paid work.

Internships have a place, but the real world value of the training to the intern should be in line with the unpaid wages.

Proficiency in current graphic design practices and production software, such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Indesign, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Flash, Keynote, Microsoft Office etc. is required. A working knowledge of the web design is advantageous. Ability to effective manage multiple projects/tasks of varying complexities is required, with a strong typography skill in both print and digital media. We are looking for someone who thrives working under pressure and is an active team player.

A degree in graphic design is required or a relevant qualification.

They're looking for someone who is already fully trained and have done their years of training not an intern who they can train up, A multi million euro organisation is looking for cheap labor that is pretty clear from their advert and nobody should try to defend it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's not Jobsbridge, it's a 6 month internship.

Asking for any form of 3rd level education is against the rules of the scheme, although it is never enforced, my department head will take nobody without a 3rd level education now, which is a joke as it is all basic clerical work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The TV3 advert is not Jobsbridge, why is it here, it's a regular internship.

CramCycle wrote: »
    The TV3 advert is not Jobsbridge, why is it here, it's a regular internship.

That's looking for someone who are already qualified to work for nothing

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Asking for any form of 3rd level education is against the rules of the scheme, although it is never enforced, my department head will take nobody without a 3rd level education now, which is a joke as it is all basic clerical work.

i think what third level degree you have matters. i went for a jobbridge interview a while back and the interviewer was wondering why i wasnt working in the degree i had. it didnt look too well in his eyes that i was dropping down a level

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

CramCycle wrote: »
    It's not Jobsbridge, it's a 6 month internship.

It's even worse than a jobbridge as it's an unpaid internship so I don't know how that'd work with the dole office.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's even worse than a jobbridge as it's an unpaid internship so I don't know how that'd work with the dole office.

Same as doing volunteer work in a charity shop I would assume.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't think people volunteer for 38/40 hours a week in a charity shop

I don't think people volunteer for 38/40 hours a week in a charity shop

I mean it should not affect whoever takes it social welfare payment, doubt an employed person would give up his job for it.

People will go out of their way to defend slave labor

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I mean it should not affect whoever takes it social welfare payment, doubt an employed person would give up his job for it.

It would , if anyone went into any dole office and said they were doing 30 to 40 hours a week voluntary work they would cut them off saying that they couldn't be actively seeking a job. There really strange like that. They seem to have a weird issue with people doing voluntary work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Benteke wrote: »
    They're looking for someone who is already fully trained and have done their years of training not an intern who they can train up, A multi million euro organisation is looking for cheap labor that is pretty clear from their advert and nobody should try to defend it

There's the issue. They are not fully trained. They have the skills from their degree projects, and maybe a few small projects beyond.

Graphic design has long since been a nasty profession to try and get started in for a graduate, with the viscous cycle of employers demanding the portfolio of prior commercial work.

If we did things properly in this country, just about every industry should have a designed apprenticeship scheme to bridge this gap. Not fobbed off on Fas/Solas.
    Without it we have the dis-functional experience gap, as with the setup which exports medical graduates abroad.

Even the pro-business Tories in the UK are looking at charging a levy on businesses to provide apprenticeships to 600,000 people a year.
    Chancellor George Osborne announced the levy in his summer budget as a key part of his bid to show he was on the side of working people. The government has pitched it to business as a way to end years of under-investment in training and solve skills shortages with 3m new apprenticeships by 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

fin12 wrote: »
    It would , if anyone went into any dole office and said they were doing 30 to 40 hours a week voluntary work they would cut them off saying that they couldn't be actively seeking a job.

I know someone who did a few bits for a charity, now and again, before she emigrated. They made the mistake of mentioning it in the DSW. She was accused of not only doing far more for them than she was, but also that she was being paid for it.

So yeah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

If you are doing volunteer work you aren't actively searching for a job. No JSA for people doing that.

I thought the propose of the scheme was to give graduates experience who might not have completed a work placement as part of their course?

Of course what it was meant to be and what it is now are different things.

• Advertisement

If you are doing volunteer work you aren't actively searching for a job. No JSA for people doing that.

You can actively be searching for a job and doing some volunteer work. Getting out of the house with a purpose beyond looking for a job can do wonders for your mental health and I'd see a job seeker who is volunteering as one likely to actually be looking for a job.

I thought the propose of the scheme was to give graduates experience who might not have completed a work placement as part of their course?

Of course what it was meant to be and what it is now are different things.

You can do as much volunteer work as you want, just do not tell them, it is easy to volunteer and also be looking for jobs.

That was the original idea yes, but when you see internships involving shelf stocking looking for 3rd level qualifications they are taking the piss, even clerical ones are a joke.

The scheme was let mutate and be exploited as it has no regulation or screening, hopefully the review will be damming on it and it gets scrapped and replaced with something that is highly regulated and is not allowed to deviate from its intended form.

I know someone who did a few bits for a charity, now and again, before she emigrated. They made the mistake of mentioning it in the DSW. She was accused of not only doing far more for them than she was, but also that she was being paid for it.

So yeah...

ya Ive worked in the DSP and also been unemployed and when someone mentioned that they were volunteering they make some big song and dance about it, I mean its a good thing that you are out doing volunteering work and instead you get a load of hasssle from them for getting out and doing something while looking for work.

And volunteering is also good while looking for work because you can get references from the organisation you are volunteering with and put it on your CV also so you dont have gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

ya Ive worked in the DSP and also been unemployed and when someone mentioned that they were volunteering they make some big song and dance about it, I mean its a good thing that you are out doing volunteering work and instead you get a load of hasssle from them for getting out and doing something while looking for work.

Seriously?? When I was on the dole I volunteered and that experience is the only reason I was hired for my current job. Mind you I didn't tell the DSP but they have bigger things to worry them than someone volunteering for six hours a week.

You can actively be searching for a job and doing some volunteer work. Getting out of the house with a purpose beyond looking for a job can do wonders for your mental health and I'd see a job seeker who is volunteering as one likely to actually be looking for a job.

Nice little lecture there, and no one, certainly not myself anyway, would dispute what you say is true, EXCEPT the DSP, and in matters of dole, it's their opinion that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

ya Ive worked in the DSP and also been unemployed and when someone mentioned that they were volunteering they make some big song and dance about it

It's almost like they're saying, "free labour is our racket"

NPI Engineering Assistant- Job Bridge Internship only
    PERSONNEL SPECIFICATIONS

ESSENTIAL:
    • Ability to effectively present information to customers and internal personnel at all levels.

DESIRABLE:
    • Degree / Diploma in an Engineering discipline
    • Experience in a high volume electronic manufacturing /similar environment.
    • Good communication and influencing skills
    Experience in using Aegis
    • Experience in pcb design and layout
    • Experience in generating validation documentation such as IQ/OQ/PQ
    • Green Belt (Lean Six Sigma)
    • Experienced in working with multiple discipline projects
    http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1485141

Joke Bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

NPI Engineering Assistant- Job Bridge Internship only

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1485141

Joke Bridge

Anyone who has a six sigma qualification is already past the intern stage, as people tend to earn those whilst working. Joke Bridge indeed. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

28 positions in Leitrim on Intreo today.
    20 of them are internships.

see pic

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement