Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Hermy wrote: »
    28 positions in Leitrim on Intreo today.
    20 of them are internships.

see pic

I saw post office clerk in that list, are an post hiring people on jobsbridge now, Ive been checking an post website for years and they are never hiring staff which I can never understand not even at christmas do I see them advertising for more staff, does anyone know what the story is with an post?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

fin12 wrote: »
    I saw post office clerk in that list, are an post hiring people on jobsbridge now, Ive been checking an post website for years and they are never hiring staff which I can never understand not even at christmas do I see them advertising for more staff, does anyone know what the story is with an post?

Cronyism at its best....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

mikehunts wrote: »
    Cronyism at its best....

Nepotism as well, we have 3 generations of the same family in ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

The union representing vets says it has written to the Department of Social Protection to protest over the inclusion of vet positions

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/wanted-qualified-vet-for-50-a-week-for-jobbridge-post-34141340.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Surely they should just threaten them with exclusion from the union. Bring it up at the AGM, have a vote, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Xenji wrote: »
    Nepotism as well, we have 3 generations of the same family in ours.

My local one is similar,no jobs advertised but saw a relation of one employee has started there recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

It's being abused and that's obvious to anyone who takes even the slightest bit of interest. There is no incentive for organisations to actually hire people when they can get them for free. I mean, why would they?
    Joan Burton and her ilk must be aware of this fact, but they're more concerned with massaging the numbers than making improvements that are tangible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

CramCycle wrote: »
    My brother actually.

I do not disagree. Most JBs are terrible. The companies involved should be banned or fined for abuse ( fine payable directly to the JBers, about 1 year annual salary).

There are some that are great, some companies that use it properly. All it really needs is someone to tell companies with inappropriate placements to F off.

In all fairness... it is still not you in the system having to go through the mill, do the paper work, search through dredges of stupity only to land a job where majority of the time it's sh*t... it's your brother.

Like I said. It's easier to support the programme if your not in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

CramCycle wrote: »
    Surely they should just threaten them with exclusion from the union. Bring it up at the AGM, have a vote, job done.

Veterinary Ireland isn't actually a union, it's a representative body. There is no union for vets or vet nurses in Ireland but it gets suggested at various meetings quite often.
    I'm glad they've commented on this but they've been silent on the issue of jobbridges for vet nurses and have even advertised them in their journal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056987239&page=351

Qualified vet position offered on Jobsbridge.

That's Cork people for you. Mean as ****e!!

huey1975 wrote: »
    That's Cork people for you. Mean as ****e!!

Well if you read the article you would have seen that there was a similar job adverertised on jobsbridge in Donegal so Its not just in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Well if you read the article you would have seen that there was a similar job adverertised on jobsbridge in Donegal so Its not just in Cork.

One thing that annoys me about the way actual veterinary jobs are advertised is that the contact details are usually just a mobile phone number or a generic sounding email address like vetjob@gmail or similar. You often haven't a clue what county the job might be in let alone the actual name of the place. That kind of anonymity makes it very handy for advertising something like a jobbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

I have a few more weeks left on my internship.

I'll give you my experience. I am fully qualified for a few years but couldn't get work. There was too much coming out of college that was the same. It was an employer's market.

I tried for work abroad but i had to save my dole for a few months to move away. I couldn't get up and go. This took a year. I got more feedback from abroad than i did here. They thought i wouldn't have the confidence.

Came home. I applied for some jobs and jobbridges. I didn't hear back. What was the whole point of a jobbridge, to gain experience but not to get a reply back.

I got a reply back eventually but i didn't get it. They didn't tell me why either. But they have more qualified people with more experience than me. I figured it was just a cheap form of labour with more desperate, young people.

I eventually got a jobbridge. It was a helping hand in what im qualified in. So I'm meant to help the people i have same qualifications. Its nothing but restocking shelves and mopping floors.

But i was in a building working beneath these people. I thought i could maybe get a chance to do extra things over time. Like, stuff in what I'm qualified in. Like, get real experience. Nope.

I was only a few weeks in when, they added extra shyte, cleaning canteen, toilets, offices.

Only a few weeks ago, i was with the boss with a customer and he told them i was in training as my own profession instead of a fooking cleaner.

I have a few more weeks left and there isn't a hope or any sign of any job out of this. They get a free worker (slave) to train and its not happening. To say its depressing is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I'll give you my experience. I am fully qualified for a few years but couldn't get work. There was too much coming out of college that was the same. It was an employer's market.

I tried for work abroad but i had to save my dole for a few months to move away. I couldn't get up and go. This took a year. I got more feedback from abroad than i did here. They thought i wouldn't have the confidence.

Came home. I applied for some jobs and jobbridges. I didn't hear back. What was the whole point of a jobbridge, to gain experience but not to get a reply back.

I got a reply back eventually but i didn't get it. They didn't tell me why either. But they have more qualified people with more experience than me. I figured it was just a cheap form of labour with more desperate, young people.

I eventually got a jobbridge. It was a helping hand in what im qualified in. So I'm meant to help the people i have same qualifications. Its nothing but restocking shelves and mopping floors.

But i was in a building working beneath these people. I thought i could maybe get a chance to do extra things over time. Like, stuff in what I'm qualified in. Like, get real experience. Nope.

I was only a few weeks in when, they added extra shyte, cleaning canteen, toilets, offices.

Only a few weeks ago, i was with the boss with a customer and he told them i was in training as my own profession instead of a fooking cleaner.

I have a few more weeks left and there isn't a hope or any sign of any job out of this. They get a free worker (slave) to train and its not happening. To say its depressing is an understatement.

That's a shame. You've wasted 9 months working for free and you didn't get any experience. I respect you for hanging in there for as long as you did. I would have left after a month of that ****e. They took advantage of you and Joan Burton facilitated it.

Liamario wrote: »
    That's a shame. You've wasted 9 months working for free and you didn't get any experience. I respect you for hanging in there for as long as you did. I would have left after a month of that ****e. They took advantage of you and Joan Burton facilitated it.

What killed me was seeing students get more experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

What killed me was seeing students get more experience.

Seek your vengeance at the ballot box ;)

I'm just tired. I don't know what to do anymore. I want to work but this is killing me. I am so depressed. I'm not worth anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I'm just tired. I don't know what to do anymore. I want to work but this is killing me. I am so depressed. I'm not worth anything.

You're not worth nothing. You're just worth less than minimum wage. But minimum wage campaigners have kicked the ladder out from under your feet so you can't get the experience that would increase your market value.

I don't mind not getting work out of it, if i got experience out of it.

Why would they train me when they have no use for me?

Total abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i definitely would not leave without causing a few headaches. unless you feel you need a reference.

i definitely would not leave without causing a few headaches. unless you feel you need a reference.

To be honest, i didn't need to cause a few headaches. Anything that went wrong, i would get the blame anyway.

I'm surprised they asked me to their Christmas party at all but who am i to turn down a free dinner, ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    You're not worth nothing. You're just worth less than minimum wage. But minimum wage campaigners have kicked the ladder out from under your feet so you can't get the experience that would increase your market value.

Laissez-faire fundamentalism at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The response was slower than I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

@ The Dogs Bollix - what industry are you in/looking for work in?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

The minimum wage laws have left him sitting cold on the curb, given the choice I imagine he'd rather be working for his market value than job bridge.

Nothing extreme about the concept of minimum wage laws causing unemployment. It's in any first year economics book you care to pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

You're not worth nothing. You're just worth less than minimum wage.

Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Its Slave LABOUR

And no one has a hope in hell to
    save labour

Reality bites!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Job-bridge isn't a true reflection of the market; without job-bridge that poster most likely wouldn't be working for the company at all as the position would not exist in the real market place. The problem isn't the minimum wage, it's the companies who are exploiting job-bridge. And of course you can't really blame them when the government is practically encouraging them to do so.

Advertisement