Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

leanonme wrote: »
    But I don't see the problem with them not having a job for me, and they did'nt replace my role at the end with another internship. I was there as an extra staff, not taking a job that was already there etc. and it allowed me to gain experience.

I can't comment on your particular situation, and it's interesting they didn't replace you with another jobbridge candidate thereafter - how do you know this.

It would seem that you are one of the very few who were aware that there was no job at the end of the slave labour internship.

It's great that you got experience during the time you were with that company. Have you secured full time employment as a direct result of the internship and the experience gained on it?
    Its no different in ways to the initiative that pays company to take on long term unemployed and receive 10000 in payment to do so. The longer someone stays unemployed and not engaging in training or volunteering the harder it will be to get employment.

There is a huge difference between someone being long term unemployed and someone not engaging in training or volunteering.

It's a sad fact that there are people in this world who do not want to work nor ever will, engage in training or volunteering.

The issue that my post was highlighting is the gov't are using scambridge to manipulate the figures and have no real strategy to deal with unemployment.

Originally the employer was supposed to top-up the sw payment to the tune of €150 (iirc) but them cúnts in IBEC refused even thought there would have been incentives (such as the one you pointed out) offered to the companies participating.

The majority of companies using the scheme are abusing it and the gov't don't give a shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭garp

. They see doing part-time work as below them etc.

Part time work is still paid work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Tasden wrote: »
    The additional 50 is from social welfare not the employer, no?
    Superhorse wrote: »
    If so that's worse again. Then the employer get's free labour.

The employer pays absolutely nothing. It's free labour, they've no incentive to hire anyone as a proper employee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

I've pretty much decided, that I'm not going to the xmas party. I'm not a staff member and don't feel like. I'm fully qualified with no opportunity to learn or gain experience. Its just clean. Screw that.

I don't know what to do. I dont know how to get out of it either. Like i said, work was dry, it was an employers market, even getting a jobbridge was hard. But this came up, as helping hand (basically cleaner) in a good company. I'm doing the duties..."the intern will gain experience"... So they haven't broken their side... Unless if you add in the extra duties and expectation of washing cups, defrosting fridges, cleaning offices.

Like, seriously. Its balls. I got to do more while being a student. I have a few more weeks left. But i don't know what to do.

Miserable xmas party, i don't to go to. A secret santa, i am a part of. Should i insult them and get a miserable gift worth €5 instead of €20. Or not bother at all with that either because they give their gifts at the xmas party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

I don't know what to do. I dont know how to get out of it either.
    Have you been applying for paid jobs since you started the internship, or at least since you realised you hated it?

• Advertisement

Screw this, i've hidden it too long.

I'm a fully qualified veterinary nurse in a jobbridge as a veterinary nurse's assistant. Helping the nurses. Its a fancy cleaner.

Fully qualified but couldn't get work, it was an employer's market out there.

I went for interviews and jobbridges to be turned down.

I'm in a veterinary clinic, i should be happy, right? I love every animal that comes through the door.

But I'm cleaning cages, picking up crap, hoovering and mopping floors, washing cups.

The odd time they were fierce busy, i might watch an animal during an operation but that's it. Maybe hold an animal.

I'm not allowed to do anything else, not allowed to admit patients, to draw up medicines, give injections, take bloods. Things i see the other nurses do.

Its tough when you know you are able for more and want to learn. But you're not allowed to.

How does someone dress up their experience as a cleaner when you're qualified to do more. How does that give confidence to someone after being out of work.

Canadel wrote: »
    Have you been applying for paid jobs since you started the internship, or at least since you realised you hated it?

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I'm a fully qualified veterinary nurse in a jobbridge as a veterinary nurse's assistant. Helping the nurses. Its a fancy cleaner.

This really annoys me. We do our unpaid work placement throughout college, we pass our practicals, we take our oath with the governing body. Veterinary Ireland objects to jobbridge for vets but will advertise jobbridge positions for nurses in their own journal.
    The IVNA who supposedly represent us have yet to make any comment about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Fully qualified but couldn't get work, it was an employer's market out there.

I went for interviews and jobbridges to be turned down.

I'm in a veterinary clinic, i should be happy, right? I love every animal that comes through the door.

But I'm cleaning cages, picking up crap, hoovering and mopping floors, washing cups.

The odd time they were fierce busy, i might watch an animal during an operation but that's it. Maybe hold an animal.

I'm not allowed to do anything else, not allowed to admit patients, to draw up medicines, give injections, take bloods. Things i see the other nurses do.

Its tough when you know you are able for more and want to learn. But you're not allowed to.

How does someone dress up their experience as a cleaner when you're qualified to do more. How does that give confidence to someone after being out of work.

It's a scorn having to do jobbridge interviews and not get anywhere with them despite applying to paying, unpaid internships and short term contracts, part time work and to the public/civil service. Trying to stick with admin, business, IT, marketing and sales type jobs but not getting anywhere. Jobbridge or a minimum wage job is a last resort if I get beyond interviews. So sick of being turned down one after another after applications. I ask for feedback when I can but no always given to me.

Moving for a jobbridge is not an option. I wouldn't be able to afford it to be honest if meant going to a city including cost of living and accommodation even to share. Could only afford to move to a city unless its a paying job and that is the reality for me. A jobbridge can only get you so far. Its a farce if you had to do two or more of them no different to doing countless of courses. Only do a jobbridge/course unless it benefit you and your career! Doing it for the sake of it will only make you unhappy!

Really trying to get something nearer to home or at least a half an hour to hours drive not more than an hour and a half. Public transport is fine when in a city but I rather rely on my car to get me places.

Another issue are recruiters not listening to what jobs I am looking for. They want me to apply for things i've no interest or experience in. I know myself whether I am suited to them or not. I've help with cv and interviews, gone to careers fairs over the years and not much happening and I am not prepared to leave Ireland either. The only thing is I didn't take up part time work while in college except worked during the summer months and joined things in college but I don't know if those things made much of a difference probably did when I finished but now its so long ago its not much news for employers/interviewers.

I've tried to improve things on my CV and fill the gaps here and there I'm just at a loss. Every time I think I get an interview for something it doesn't happen. It's been months and I am tired of it all! The one disadvantage with my degree was there was no work-placement other than the last postgrad I did. A Masters with a placement in the future is a possibility but what are employers really looking for? They expect x y and z but expect something more as well not just the main requirements. If you don't have industry experience in that area you have no hope as your examples wouldn't be sufficient enough to meet their criteria! :( If you have better candidates or they not happy with who have applied they will advertise the job again which seems to a common thing on jobbridge!

This really annoys me. We do our unpaid work placement throughout college, we pass our practicals, we take our oath with the governing body. Veterinary Ireland objects to jobbridge for vets but will advertise jobbridge positions for nurses in their own journal.
    The IVNA who supposedly represent us have yet to make any comment about it.

At the end of the day, it means nothing.

The only thing i did like about the jobbridge was the opportunity to work. And it was in a vets. But seriously, how do does someone dress up their so called new found "skills" when they got to do more as a student. Its soul destroying.

• Advertisement

But seriously, how do does someone dress up their so called new found "skills" when they got to do more as a student.

I think most employers would guess from the words internship and vet assistant exactly what it entailed so I wouldn't bother trying to dress it up. If you have skills that you want to brush up can you go back to any of the clinics you did placement in for a day or two? I've done that a few times with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

You can't really dress up an internship by much. It can vary sometimes you get more work through paying jobs more than an unpaid/low paid one sometimes it can be the opposite you get more to do in a internship but often or not its donkey work. Any one could do it!

I've had issues with some applications where I know I fall down due to lack of experience and examples despite work experience and qualifications I know what to say when answering competency type questions but sometimes find them hard to answer them with sufficient examples and interviewers are often not happy with examples I give them so don't know what to do to please them? Other times I do great in interviews and think it has gone well but nothing come of it, its annoying when that happens when you think you be sure you get the job even if it 50/50 if you get it or get another interview.

Interviews have become more rigorous even for jobbridges i've been asked technical questions/or do an assessment?! For a paying job or with a big company or grad programme be expected to do a lot more such as aptitude tests, presentations and assessments but it's getting to a point they have to reduce the number of applicants that move on. They say I have potential but not much more than that from them there is always someone better than me. For me its either a very small company or big company that either focuses on my area such as a particular department or work completely on your own without much other than your own initiative that's all fine and dandy but a little bit of direction at top level can be a help. It's been a mixture of unpaid and paying jobs i've had but nothing long term unfortunately and its really starting to annoy me. Every time I think a job I had lead to another one has rarely been the case. It's easier finding a job when already in one. Feel I am being looked down on for no reason just because I can't find work.

I basically get the impression jobbridge employers just tell you what to do or you use your own initiative and not be given much to do or too much to do for very little appreciation. Slave labour is right they should really introduce jobbridge with minimum wage or close to it rather than offering €50 a week that's fine for grads living at home with parents but how people in the working world totally on their own or have a family to support meant to live on that plus social welfare is beyond me. They haven't much of a life or they just saving all the time. Cost of living has gone up and don't know people are surviving a standard of living off that. Don't know where people get this idea that people are better off on the dole? Watch the tv series 'dole life' show you the harsh realities even in the cities of what's happening for the younger generation. You see 'better off abroad' is that a realistic way to live though?

The only thing i did like about the jobbridge was the opportunity to work. And it was in a vets. But seriously, how do does someone dress up their so called new found "skills" when they got to do more as a student. Its soul destroying.

Are you doing the work as per job description? If not, report them and move on. Crap like this and shelf stacking ones really are taking the pee and are only still happening because interns are allowing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

I met only one person so far that did JB at local council and actually liked the experience,but once contract was over he was gone and replaced,most likely with another batch.

couple pages back where someone mentioned person not being worth minimum wage,id say companies that cant afford to pay minimum wage shouldn't exist,as that shows they cant generate enough cash to make profit-thus being useless.

as mentioned many times simple change as allowing to take only 1-2 people per scheme and making guarantee that at end of it contract will be given,and dropping 6-9 ,months slave labor where experience needed can be gained within weeks should be abolished,thus only companies that really are looking for workers and will be willing to provide jobs would only advertise.

As now its better to take a hit on your dole then spend,more then half of it what you loose in commuting,food,and time that will eventually give you skills at best that otherwise they could be learned in few weeks and actual job been in place rather then JB joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

scamalert wrote: »
    I met only one person so far that did JB at local council and actually liked the experience,but once contract was over he was gone and replaced,most likely with another batch.

couple pages back where someone mentioned person not being worth minimum wage,id say companies that cant afford to pay minimum wage shouldn't exist,as that shows they cant generate enough cash to make profit-thus being useless.

as mentioned many times simple change as allowing to take only 1-2 people per scheme and making guarantee that at end of it contract will be given,and dropping 6-9 ,months slave labor where experience needed can be gained within weeks should be abolished,thus only companies that really are looking for workers and will be willing to provide jobs would only advertise.

As now its better to take a hit on your dole then spend,more then half of it what you loose in commuting,food,and time that will eventually give you skills at best that otherwise they could be learned in few weeks and actual job been in place rather then JB joke.

Yeah they cannot be kept on after they finish, we have a revolving door system in my CC, when the intern is in their last week, the new intern comes in and they then train them up, the same positions have been filled for the last 3 years with multiple interns, you could have 4-6 interns at anytime in the same department.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

are TUS schemes designed just to p!ss you off, so you'll take any employment just to get out of it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

fryup wrote: »
    are TUS schemes designed just to p!ss you off, so you'll take any employment just to get out of it??

I think it's another way to try get ppl off the live register.

I did it and loved my job. I wanted to keep on the position or even take the managerial position for same pay. I just loved the job. But I wasn't allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^

what were you doing??

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^

what were you doing??

It was in a touism job. I was a sales assistant and tour guide sorta. It was self guided tours but we gave everyone the history and information for the place and surrounding areas. I was also helping the manager by taking in orders and makin them, keeping up with the website and helping with the books.

I was so sorry to see it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

RHJ wrote: »
    Why don't you use the info you learned to set up your own tour company?

It was in a historical settlement. Don't know if I w/o be able to do the whole tour thin myself!!! I did love that side of things though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

doovdela wrote: »
    Another issue are recruiters not listening to what jobs I am looking for. They want me to apply for things i've no interest or experience in. I know myself whether I am suited to them or not.

Recruiters are paid by companies to find someone to fill a position available. The applicants aren't paying recruiters, so they have no incentive to find you a specific job, only to fill the available jobs in their portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Recruiters are paid by companies to find someone to fill a position available. The applicants aren't paying recruiters, so they have no incentive to find you a specific job, only to fill the available jobs in their portfolio.

Unless you get to a certain point that they see the $ signs. When they see that you have the potential to bring in a huge hourly rate or have a specialized set of skills they will go out of their way to try and find a company that needs you. Then it becomes a p1ssing match between them and other recruitment companies. Or at least that's what I see in the US. They get a nice kick back as a finders fee and if you also contract through their company, that company gets a hugely inflated rate for the work you're doing.

Got asked about the missing bin today.

I feel so alive!

Got asked about the missing bin today.

I feel so alive!

I'm really curious to know where this place is so I can avoid ever applying there...although with the way the veterinary journal jobs page is you never know where you are applying to anyway!

I'm really curious to know where this place is so I can avoid ever applying there...although with the way the veterinary journal jobs page is you never know where you are applying to anyway!

I'll leave it unnamed. But how many more people and i get asked about the bin. Its my sole responsibility. It goes missing, so i must have moved it.

Drives me up the walls with the way those jobs are advertised. You don't know where or what town/county you are applying to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It goes missing, so i must have moved it.

Tell them you sold it to pay your rent.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Tell them you sold it to pay your rent.

Ha ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Unless you get to a certain point that they see the $ signs. When they see that you have the potential to bring in a huge hourly rate or have a specialized set of skills they will go out of their way to try and find a company that needs you. Then it becomes a p1ssing match between them and other recruitment companies. Or at least that's what I see in the US. They get a nice kick back as a finders fee and if you also contract through their company, that company gets a hugely inflated rate for the work you're doing.

That's not really the set up here. We use a recruiting agency for entry level positions, anything senior, specialised or well-paying is direct applications only.

We basically call the recruiters when we need staff and give them the job spec. They go through the current CVs on their database to find candidates that best match the requirements, interview them then put forward the best 5-6 candidates for interviews with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,958 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

RHJ wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Problem with self startup is know-how (entrepreneurship) as well as the associated costs and other barriers to entry. And after your initial investment (which could be heavy - thousands or tens of thousands of Euro) you have no guarantee of breaking even, much less profit. That and don't you abandon benefit pay if you're self employed?

Advertisement