Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Quazzie wrote: »
    I know people who have done courses to learn how to properly valet a car. They spent big money on these courses too. If that person was on unemployment benefit then doing that internship might give them the necessary training and skills to do the job adequately thus negating the need for the expensive course. At the end of the day, if it does that, then it's fulfilled the objective of the job-bridge scheme.

Yeah but they would not have that pretty sheet of paper at the end of it saying that they are qualified to properly valet a car. They are just relying on a good reference from the host organisation and if they do not get kept on it is not like they will get another job, as they are all Jobsbridge and if he emigrated he has no proof of his skills as he has no recognized qualification. Plus has it taken the these people you know over 1638 hours ( average length of a Jobsbridge ) to be told they can properly valet cars, I think not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Insulation installer in Wexford.

It takes about 10 mins to learn how to do it.Love how the ad is embellished with phrases such as "learn to work within the code of practice of the NSAI & SEAI".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

This post has been deleted.

Sorry Fred, but I don't agree. WHOEVER is in office, this scam will continue. Employers have found it too much of a good thing. Why PAY for someone when the Government will provide labour for FREE? :D

Now that the 'scheme' is to be extended to 18 months (why?), the amount of real jobs advertised will decrease further. With the extension of the JB scam to 18 months, watch the multi-nationals jumping on the bandwagon too. Most contract roles don't last 18 months FFS!

The Government (whichever party in in power) dare say nothing. These companies bring in too much money and jobs.

What I do not understand is that the retailers are telling us that sales are down and people are not spending like the used to and then the same retailer takes on a intern who gets paid a pittance, of course people will not be spending like they used to when everyone is on a Jobsbridge scheme and has hardly any money to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I know people who have done courses to learn how to properly valet a car. They spent big money on these courses too. If that person was on unemployment benefit then doing that internship might give them the necessary training and skills to do the job adequately thus negating the need for the expensive course. At the end of the day, if it does that, then it's fulfilled the objective of the job-bridge scheme.

Well these type of jobs in the past have been advertise as no experience necessary,full training given, were not talking detailing here,wash and hover thats what most of these places are,they make money by a quick turn around,this should just be offered as a full time job at €8.65hr,
    its nothing to do with training its just cheap labour for €50 a week ,rather then €8.65 hr/39 hrs , its a no brainer for the employer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Xenji wrote: »
    Yeah but they would not have that pretty sheet of paper at the end of it saying that they are qualified to properly valet a car. They are just relying on a good reference from the host organisation and if they do not get kept on it is not like they will get another job, as they are all Jobsbridge and if he emigrated he has no proof of his skills as he has no recognized qualification. Plus has it taken the these people you know over 1638 hours ( average length of a Jobsbridge ) to be told they can properly valet cars, I think not :)
    SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Well these type of jobs in the past have been advertise as no experience necessary,full training given, were not talking detailing here,wash and hover thats what most of these places are,they make money by a quick turn around,this should just be offered as a full time job at €8.65hr,
    its nothing to do with training its just cheap labour for €50 a week ,rather then €8.65 hr/39 hrs , its a no brainer for the employer.
    Sorry I should've stated that at least one of the people I know who done these courses set up their own valeting business based on the back of it. That's not to say that the jobsbridge scheme will give everyone the knowledge to do such a thing, but I wouldn't knock valeting back as an internship type job, as long as proper training and guidance is given as part of the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

Great post, employer taking the piss over this, just how long would it take for a person to learn how to use ...
    1: a power hose and brush
    2: pledge and a duster
    3: a Hoover ..
    Give it a week and the "intern" would be right up to scratch leaving the other 8mths and 3 weeks or is it now 17mths and 3 weeks free for the employer to gain maximum profit for minimum effort... The yanks had a civil war over slavery, now our masters deem it fit for their rich business friends to really milk the golden cow that's called an "internship"...disgracful ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

I don't think the company even has to pay €50 a week, the government pays it

Shout Dust wrote: »
    I don't think the company even has to pay €50 a week, the government pays it

Yeah, the company does not pay anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Yossarian: They all say I'm crazy...why can't you let me out of doing a jobbridge?
    Doc Daneeka: I can't, you have to get experience to get a job.
    Yossarian: But it's driving me real crazy, there aren't any jobs because of jobbridge.
    Doc Daneeka: I can't let you off Yossarian, you need jobbridge experience to get a job.
    Yossarian: You mean there's a catch?
    Doc Daneeka: Sure there's a catch, Catch-22. Anyone who wants to get a real job instead of doing jobbridge isn't really crazy.
    Yossarian: That's some catch, that Catch-22.
    Doc Daneeka: It's the best there is.
    ...Just thought I'd butcher a classic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

denlaw wrote: »
    Great post, employer taking the piss over this, just how long would it take for a person to learn how to use ...
    Give it a week and the "intern" would be right up to scratch leaving the other 8mths and 3 weeks or is it now 17mths and 3 weeks free for the employer to gain maximum profit for minimum effort... The yanks had a civil war over slavery, now our masters deem it fit for their rich business friends to really milk the golden cow that's called an "internship"...disgracful ..

And Enda Kenny came out during the week with a speech or it was in the paper about ending welfare entitlement/culture. How about ending corporate welfare and entitlement.

Saw one today for a Digital Production Operative Assistant, I know the store and it is basically a photocopier, so it takes 9 months to know how to use a photocopier these days, reminds me of the old full injection technicians :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I am not reading all 35 pages but I get the jist of peoples feelings and people are right to be annoyed with companies trying to abuse the system but its not all companies.

I work for a small company and about half the full time staff came through jobbridge or similar. They were given internships and trained on the job and if they were an asset to the company, a position was made for them. I am currently working with 2 interns and giving them invaluable training and mentoring that they wouldn't get in college. I spend one full day a week purely training and educating and developing their skillsets. When they finish their internships, if they have proved themselves they are given a job, if not, then they have great experience and training.

We do this voluntarily but I think there needs to be a process in place to weed out the exploiters and have definitive goals in place for candidates and companies. There needs to be specific training timetables to ensure a candidate leaves in a better situation and didn't just act as an inexpensive solution to a staffing issue.

RoboRat wrote: »
    I am not reading all 35 pages but I get the jist of peoples feelings and people are right to be annoyed with companies trying to abuse the system but its not all companies.

I work for a small company and about half the full time staff came through jobbridge or similar. They were given internships and trained on the job and if they were an asset to the company, a position was made for them. I am currently working with 2 interns and giving them invaluable training and mentoring that they wouldn't get in college. I spend one full day a week purely training and educating and developing their skillsets. When they finish their internships, if they have proved themselves they are given a job, if not, then they have great experience and training.

We do this voluntarily but I think there needs to be a process in place to weed out the exploiters and have definitive goals in place for candidates and companies. There needs to be specific training timetables to ensure a candidate leaves in a better situation and didn't just act as an inexpensive solution to a staffing issue.

That is the way to do it, I am sure people would love a lot more people like you and your company involved in the scheme, as you seem to be in a minority as it stands unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

The sad thing is, for people struggling, an extra €50 a week is a big incentive if they have a mortgage to pay. Businesses will continue to exploit as long as this scheme is in existence.

The government will continue to run this scheme as to stop people going back on the live register. I don't see the scheme ending anytime soon. Win-win for businesses and a big loss for people wanting real, paid jobs.

This is something students will study in school in years to come. It is just appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I know a guy who just got an internship. He is happy about it. So good on him :) Hopefully it won't be a load of balls.

But the whole load of balls things is what's stopping me from doing one :P Like with the guy I know, this internship marks the first step in a new career for him. So even if he doesnt get a job at the end of it he still has gotten experience and a foot in the door.

But most of these internships are a joke :pac: I mean, retail internship? lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kalel

A full professional valet costs at least €100 and is a lot different than what you stated above. That's €100 for 1h-1.5h work which if you think about it is more than what you pay to see a Doctor. The fact that you actually don't know what a Professional Car valet consists of maybe you shouldn't be posting negatively about an internship in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Kalel wrote: »
    A full professional valet costs at least €100 and is a lot different than what you stated above. That's €100 for 1h-1.5h work which if you think about it is more than what you pay to see a Doctor. The fact that you actually don't know what a Professional Car valet consists of maybe you shouldn't be posting negatively about an internship in that area.

It's in Thurles in a car dealer out the Nenagh road not some fancy come to your house valeting company. The dealer doesn't valet cars for the public.

These jobs around the town were always given to CBS students during the summer to earn a few quid. Ely's Texaco on the Slievenamon road for example employs teenagers during the summer to do this work. Most the teenagers they employ have never had a job before and I don't think Ely's expects them to work 9 months just to learn how to clean a car.

It was either Templemore motors or Youngs Templemore can't remember which dealer but they had a job up there a few months ago for a car valet and it was no experience required and A PAID JOB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

They ain't known as the Grab All Association for nothing! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

RoboRat wrote: »

Just one thing on your post, you state that if they were asset to the company then a position was made for them, this would imply that before taking them on as internships, you could easily afford to take them on a contract. This is something that I would have an issue with, if the company like yours can afford to give them a contract, then I believe you shouldn't be taking advantage of the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Here is another good one http://jobseeker.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1zaMUPiFEeNrNWjviinu490thmC2C0u+DBwX41+rfPzP2yIFmnHdoZrtSZu2pfu8FAvLAU5XZl5ZwaAgqeRzQgCneMMQrTtyEfD11tVCDA5H/n+IyyyoG02PuFH+IyyGyOOzjBkP3Jr89NHCTSj5i8Xs1vnAp2dNKQMT5MoGO77fYchuosxGGNL8sw+kWjk7/MQ1f0u/peZDBFr2Z3TLcAKF97D+2+/2rFNmeLkxJzyFl/kljgcERKKHU7GUwXjolje0oFxtfM2LuqRuzx9BOMbKwfjfUAIiN0J1CNO8CKKGEnSAjLPJBWbNu0fdzqj0AREyB5yWPL+OIPQc5FZYlXQbj+0VghoCcy47hp+oqxSFwph4qYfY+Qsot17kQEBh90vxA5+Jz1qtCg7f162P7mpqELzBnziYtAEhkOl0c+ah9YzHm2IkZJwdKnqyXfsqQf8EdzW7zBJkwSVaA3gYN5o=
    Leaving Certificate, ECDL & PLC Course in Office administration
    The intern will gain practical experience in anwsering the phone, writing correspondance, bookkeeping, typing, data entry, filing, faxing etc.
    All covered in the Business Administration courses run by the VEC. You also do work experience in a local business.
    The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: inputting information on computer package (Word, Excel, etc.), filing, faxing, dealing with the public and working in a team.
    Again all covered in Business Administration
    On completion the intern will have attained skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and Communication Skills
    On completion of his/her ECDL they would have already attained these skills.

And we all thought these internships were for people with no qualifications to gain experience

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

Doesn't take 9mths to learn how to do this, I worked in a factory for 27 yrs where you got 78hrs to learn how to work the machine you were working on, the cheapest machine in the place cost €340k going up to €1.5m, kind of puts your defence of slave labour in its place ..

Oh, by the way, so when you "professionally" clean a car you DON'T USE ..
    1 a power hose and brush
    2 pledge and a duster
    3 a Hoover ...

So genius, what magic special tools do the "pro" car valet use or is that like a secret you can only reveal to other valets via a secret handshake and a nod and wink!

Oh, by the way, so when you "professionally" clean a car you DON'T USE ..
    1 a power hose and brush
    2 pledge and a duster
    3 a Hoover ...

So genius, what magic special tools do the "pro" car valet use or is that like a secret you can only reveal to other valets via a secret handshake and a nod and wink!

Why don't you apply for the internship and find out, instead of shíte talking on the internet about it?

Why don't you apply for the internship and find out, instead of shíte talking on the internet about it?

Are you one of these "professionals" ?
    Did it take you 4 yrs of an apprenticeship to learn how to wash a car ?
    Are you the one looking for the intern so you can make dog**** of them and when they're 9 mths are up kick them to the kerb and get some other hard up gob****e to come and work for nothing while the scum that took him on reaps the rewards ..****e talking indeed, good one coming from a ****e hawk

Are you one of these "professionals" ?
    Did it take you 4 yrs of an apprenticeship to learn how to wash a car ?
    Are you the one looking for the intern so you can make dog**** of them and when they're 9 mths are up kick them to the kerb and get some other hard up gob****e to come and work for nothing while the scum that took him on reaps the rewards ..****e talking indeed, good one coming from a ****e hawk

:rolleyes:

I aint employing anyone, I just know from experience that valeting cars is more than just a duster and a can of pledge and to claim as such shows extreme ignorance.

But hey, what would a shítehawk like me know ;)

:rolleyes:

I aint employing anyone, I just know from experience that valeting cars is more than just a duster and a can of pledge and to claim as such shows extreme ignorance.

But hey, what would a shítehawk like me know ;)

So come on then, tell the good people on boards what or why it takes 9mths to train some how to do this mystical job, I'd love to know where I'm going wrong on a Saturday morning giving the car a clean out, you can defend this all you want but if it looks like a scam smells like a scam .. It is a scam ..9mths indeed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

So come on then, tell the good people on boards what or why it takes 9mths to train some how to do this mystical job, I'd love to know where I'm going wrong on a Saturday morning giving the car a clean out, you can defend this all you want but if it looks like a scam smells like a scam .. It is a scam ..9mths indeed
    It's 18mths now!

Advertisement