Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Xenji wrote: »
    If you combine all the schemes, over 86,162 people as of last year, all of which are deemed to be off the live register as well.

Is that true?

Disgraceful if it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

JT26 wrote: »
    Have you a source?
    Also what's the total number in employment in the state? Full and part time
    Triangla wrote: »
    Is that true?

Disgraceful if it's true.

It was actually 89,704 in May last year, last figure I can find quickly, the schemes are deemed to be Activation Programmes.

http://www.inou.ie/press/2015/05/01/more-people-on-activation-programmes/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The figures are published every month by the CSO as part of the Live Register statistics. The Activation Programmes as they are known are a month behind. This is the link for the November 2015 Live Register. December will be published on 7 January. Activation Programmes were 80,576 for October, the majority being education and training placements.

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/lr/liveregisternovember2015/

See the Annex at the foot of the page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

How many thousands aren't counted at by the live register? Those people who, once their unemployment benefit runs out after 9 months are left on their own. The live register doesn't tell all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

But hasnt the actual number of full time jobs has risen by something like 120,000 in last 2 years?

There was an even bigger increase of 59,400 in full-time employment over the last 12 months, with a corresponding fall of 3,400 in part-time work. This means that more than 1,100 people are returning to full-time employment every week.

https://www.labour.ie/news/2015/11/17/employment-figures-a-landmark-moment-in-recovery/

There were only 29,000 new full time jobs added in 2014, so I doubt that number is correct unless 90,000 full time jobs were created last year.

Meanwhile, employment is growing by 3%, with the economy likely to have added around 60,000 full-time jobs last year.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/features/remarkable-things-about-the-strong-rebound-of-irish-economy-374427.html

60,000 last year, not bad.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    But hasnt the actual number of full time jobs has risen by something like 120,000 in last 2 years?

There was an even bigger increase of 59,400 in full-time employment over the last 12 months, with a corresponding fall of 3,400 in part-time work. This means that more than 1,100 people are returning to full-time employment every week.

https://www.labour.ie/news/2015/11/17/employment-figures-a-landmark-moment-in-recovery/

There were only 29,000 new full time jobs added in 2014, so I doubt that number is correct unless 90,000 full time jobs were created last year.

Also that number of 59,400 is skewed as part time jobs that were turned into full time jobs should be minused from it.

Also that number of 59,400 is skewed as part time jobs that were turned into full time jobs should be minused from it.

Why?

They were full time jobs created.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Tony EH wrote: »
    How many thousands aren't counted at by the live register? Those people who, once their unemployment benefit runs out after 9 months are left on their own. The live register doesn't tell all.

Still have to sign on to maintain your stamps IIRC.

Nate

• Advertisement

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Why?

They were full time jobs created.

In 2014 there was 39,600 full time jobs created, but 10,500 of these jobs were previously part time and turned into full time positions, so only 29,100 people actually were employed.

That is how the number is skewed, you have to minus the decrease in the number of part time jobs, from the increase in number of full time jobs, 60,000 jobs can be created, but it does not mean 60,000 new people get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

This thread has gone very quite. Has jobbridge become the norm now that there's no point in complaining about the scheme anymore? Like its acceptable to be "employed" on the scheme.

There is a position advertised now. I remember applying for it in January 2015, over a year ago. Its the same position, so there is a need in this particular organisation but they won't employ someone.

There was a post in another forum that someone was relying on jobbridge for extra money to pay the bills because they can't get anything. That is quite sad that people are relying on the scheme for a "wage".

Currently there are all sorts of assistant positions on jobbridge. Is it just me but is an assistant generally a helping hand and nothing more, i.e. free labour rather than giving them valuable work experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

The Raptor wrote: »
    This thread has gone very quite. Has jobbridge become the norm now that there's no point in complaining about the scheme anymore? Like its acceptable to be "employed" on the scheme.

There is a position advertised now. I remember applying for it in January 2015, over a year ago. Its the same position, so there is a need in this particular organisation but they won't employ someone.

There was a post in another forum that someone was relying on jobbridge for extra money to pay the bills because they can't get anything. That is quite sad that people are relying on the scheme for a "wage".

Currently there are all sorts of assistant positions on jobbridge. Is it just me but is an assistant generally a helping hand and nothing more, i.e. free labour rather than giving them valuable work experience.
    Its probably not so much of an issue with an improving labour market. Unscrupulous employers would be finding it more difficult to use it for cheap labour now.

I always thought it was blown out of proportion anyway - there were only ever around 8000 people doing jobsbridge 'internships' at any one time.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Its probably not so much of an issue with an improving labour market. Unscrupulous employers would be finding it more difficult to use it for cheap labour now.

I always thought it was blown out of proportion anyway - there were only ever around 8000 people doing jobsbridge 'internships' at any one time.

8000 is quite alot with probably more stupid positions advertised than allowed.

Its scheme after scheme that all adds up. TUS and gateway too. People should be paid for what they do.

8000 people working for free in Ireland? Yeah that's not a big problem. Honestly I always thought wages were talked up too much anyway, they're totally unnecessary and soon as they are scrapped, and everyone works for 50 euro a week, the better. I don't like how some people get proper money for not sitting on their holes while others are expected to stand up for free.

Phoebas wrote: »

Maybe in the likes of Dublin, but in the likes of Mayo and Sligo where there is no sign of a recovery it is still widely abused.

If you are in a town where there are only a handful of jobs available at any given time and the majority of them are Jobbridge or CE schemes and the same repeat offenders offering them, then that is a big issue.

Some would rather just push govt. agitprop than truly analyse the so called "improving labour market".

A large proportion of this "labour" is transitory and temporary staff, that can be culled at a moments notice.

I know a company that took on a lot of people recently, only for them to be turfed out a few days ago. All temporary, disposable, contracts and "white collar" skilled office work.

There's little in the way of full time jobs going.

Until that changes substantially, all the yap of "recovery" is utterly meaningless.

Some would rather just push govt. agitprop than truly analyse the so called "improving labour market".

A large proportion of this "labour" is transitory and temporary staff, that can be culled at a moments notice.

I know a company that took on a lot of people recently, only for them to be turfed out a few days ago. All temporary, disposable, contracts and "white collar" skilled office work.

There's little in the way of full time jobs going.

Until that changes substantially, all the yap of "recovery" is utterly meaningless.

TX Maxx is opening in Castlebar, they are offering 6-20 hours contracts as a maximum with no minimum, but the hours are spread over 7 days, not one full time job being offered, Next are in the building beside them, they are looking for people for a 12 day contract to cover their mid season sale, also another shop devoid of full time staff.

These do nothing for the unemployed as they cannot take up these positions, maybe if the social went by hours instead of days people could actually take up these positions, but zero hour contracts are now becoming more of a scourge for the country, surprised more is not said about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Thankfully I don't have to worry about these schemes for a while, got a full time job in January for 9 months, I was on a ce scheme for 2 months before I got the job, I was in a place where nearly everyone working there was on a scheme.... They are defintley taking genuine jobs.

but zero hour contracts are now becoming more of a scourge for the country, surprised more is not said about them.

Because there are vile **** that are welcoming that kind of situation and others who are so desperate that they have no choice but to take them up.

Be afraid of future labour conditions in this country, be very afraid. If the likes of the scum in power at the moment and the bottom feeders that support them have their way, it won't be too long before they've eroded everything that was fought for re: labour conditions/rights in the 20th Century.

And for those that think, naively, that it won't happen to them, think again.

• Advertisement

Any job that demands the worker to have a car should have to pay.

And the cheek of them with 5 positions at 19.5 hours a week.

That is 117.5 hours a week. Or 3 full time positions and get people of the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭satguy

The Raptor wrote: »
    Any job that demands the worker to have a car should have to pay.

And the cheek of them with 5 positions at 19.5 hours a week.

That is 117.5 hours a week. Or 3 full time positions and get people of the dole.

Yep,, and why do you need a car ? or,, will it affect your car insurance ?

It's bloody cheek ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

TX Maxx is opening in Castlebar, they are offering 6-20 hours contracts as a maximum with no minimum, but the hours are spread over 7 days, not one full time job being offered, Next are in the building beside them, they are looking for people for a 12 day contract to cover their mid season sale, also another shop devoid of full time staff.

These do nothing for the unemployed as they cannot take up these positions, maybe if the social went by hours instead of days people could actually take up these positions, but zero hour contracts are now becoming more of a scourge for the country, surprised more is not said about them.

0 hours contracts should be banned if it was possible legally, there should be banded hours contracts.

However

Modern retailing is run on a model of only having the managers working full time and that's just life its like shouting in to the wind complaining about it, there has been a huge switch to on line retailing along with cultural and sociality changes. The sort of basic jobs offered by multinational retailer are designed for student or those who can only work part time, they are not enough to live on. That is not going to change.

The whole world is becoming more urban not just Ireland and its urban areas and areas surrounding urban areas will be where all the growth in employment will come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Because there are vile **** that are welcoming that kind of situation and others who are so desperate that they have no choice but to take them up.

Be afraid of future labour conditions in this country, be very afraid. If the likes of the scum in power at the moment and the bottom feeders that support them have their way, it won't be too long before they've eroded everything that was fought for re: labour conditions/rights in the 20th Century.

And for those that think, naively, that it won't happen to them, think again.

What do you thing is the answer? French style paternalistic employment culture or do you have a different solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭satguy

mariaalice wrote: »
    That sounds odd more that anything else,

Still looks like some kind of scam to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Maybe in the likes of Dublin, but in the likes of Mayo and Sligo where there is no sign of a recovery it is still widely abused.

If you are in a town where there are only a handful of jobs available at any given time and the majority of them are Jobbridge or CE schemes and the same repeat offenders offering them, then that is a big issue.
    I'm sorry but what do you expect if you live in a rural area? Have you considered moving to Dublin or London?

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I'm sorry but what do you expect if you live in a rural area? Have you considered moving to Dublin or London?

Hardly would call Castlebar rural, I have a good job but like the majority of the people I went to school with I will be emigrating soon, and good luck in London, lived there as well as New York and it is as tough over there as it is here depending on your qualification.

Advertisement