Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭satguy

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Have you considered moving to Dublin or London?

That's not nice !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I'm sorry but what do you expect if you live in a rural area? Have you considered moving to Dublin or London?
    Maybe, no matter where they live, they expect to be paid for the work they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

mickstupp wrote: »
    Maybe, no matter where they live, they expect to be paid for the work they do?

Good luck with that bud.

Xenji wrote: »
    Hardly would call Castlebar rural, I have a good job but like the majority of the people I went to school with I will be emigrating soon, and good luck in London, lived there as well as New York and it is as tough over there as it is here depending on your qualification.

Castlebar in Mayo? Of course that's rural. Sure the nearest decent sized city of > 1,000,000 people is on the other side of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Good luck with that bud.

Oh dear, does the thought of a fair day's pay for a fair day's work offend you? Is that a sin in the Church of Laissez-Faire?

• Advertisement

Oh dear, does the thought of a fair day's pay for a fair day's work offend you? Is that a sin in the Church of Laissez-Faire?

No its just not realistic to expect all work be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Castlebar in Mayo? Of course that's rural. Sure the nearest decent sized city of > 1,000,000 people is on the other side of the country.

Your always good for a laugh, so basically anywhere outside Dublin is rural, the rest of the population outside of the County better either move to Dublin or get out of the country then by your reckoning.

Your always good for a laugh, so basically anywhere outside Dublin is rural, the rest of the population outside of the County better either move to Dublin or get out of the country then by your reckoning.

Apparently it's ridiculous to expect to find paid work in rural areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

At the start of the leaders debate last night Joan Brutal was talking about another 50,000 slave people being put to work in her latest mad scheme!

Labour(they have some neck keeping this name) are planning 50,000 apprenticeships which will of course be internships/jobsbridge/unpaid slavery under a new name!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

foggy_lad wrote: »
    At the start of the leaders debate last night Joan Brutal was talking about another 50,000 slave people being put to work in her latest mad scheme!

Labour(they have some neck keeping this name) are planning 50,000 apprenticeships which will of course be internships/jobsbridge/unpaid slavery under a new name!

It would bring the number of people on job activation schemes to between 120k-130k if all those apprenticeships were filled, of course none of these would be classified as being on the live register.

• Advertisement

In this country yeah, anywhere outside Dublin is rural.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

What scheme is this? When labour gets abolished in this general election, will that be an end to these scam schemes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

It would bring the number of people on job activation schemes to between 120k-130k if all those apprenticeships were filled, of course none of these would be classified as being on the live register.

In 2011 there was 70, 000 on these schemes.

There is now 82, 000.

That's 12, 000 increase.

There is 140, 000 people back in work since 2011.

You do the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Apparently it's ridiculous to expect to find paid work in rural areas.

I know you are joking but as a Dubliner I find some of the expectations of people from rural Ireland somewhat odd. There is this weird element of ignoring reality when it comes to what people study. I met loads of people studying in very specific fields where there are very limited places to work and yet some people expect they can go back to rural Ireland and the jobs will appear around them. Then they start complaining about how they are stuck in Dublin as there is none of their type of work 'back home'. I am not saying everyone is like that but there is vocal portion.
    There is also a portion of Dubliners that do similar too. Had a friend who studied special effects in a class of 30 or so. There were years before and after them. How many special effects personnel does Ireland need? Then low and behold he couldn't find work which he was surprised by! He was actually really, really angry mostly because he could only get minimum wage type jobs. He would get fired or 'leave' quite often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Iwasfrozen wrote:
    In this country yeah, anywhere outside Dublin is rural.

Cork city is just a big farm is it? Them baxtards conned me. And I thought the ducks were just visiting.

Cork city is just a big farm is it? Them baxtards conned me. And I thought the ducks were just visiting.

Pretty much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Good luck with that bud.

If you have a business, I wouldn't pay you what I owe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I would anywhere outside the cities (Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick, and Waterford) would be classed as rural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

JustTheOne wrote: »
    In 2011 there was 70, 000 on these schemes.

There is now 82, 000.

That's 12, 000 increase.

There is 140, 000 people back in work since 2011.

You do the maths.

Wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Do you know what an apprenticeship is?

• Advertisement

MouseTail wrote: »
    Do you know what an apprenticeship is?

Do you know that creating 50,000 free trainee positions will stop people getting actual jobs?

Joan can no more create apprenticeships than she can create jobs; she can't make companies have fully paid positions for the taking, but she can offer companies the chance to take on full time employees for free.

I hope to god labour goes and brings this dirty rotten scheme with them.

A dump truck driver is advertised. But they need an articulated dump truck ticket for the job.

To get the ticket in the first place the requirements are be over 18, three months experience on site (not on a machine) and hold a safe pass. So if they have to have three months experience to get the ticket, I presume their employer is sending them on this three day course.

On completion of the course, they have to spend another six months operating the truck and completing their logbook before getting their card.

Something so wrong with this scheme. Someone holding a ticket with that amount of course work before and after is experienced.

Looking at the dump truck position that was advertised, I thought it was for collecting rubbish in a bin truck.

But I'm not sure what the company is, there was only a phone number. Looking up on the ticket they require they have pictures of trucks on construction sites.

If this was a paid position, they would fill it no bother. What happened to all those experienced construction workers that lost their jobs? They didn't all emigrate, did they?

The scheme is replacing jobs and real paid work. I'm absolutely sickened with the above position.

There is a new scheme called jobpath.

Selected people gets referred to a new company called Turas Nua. This is a recruitment agency where employers tell them what they're looking for. And Turas Nua will provide free workers while they continue receiving their payment.

Its a free supply of slaves. Why would any employer would want to hire when they can get them for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

The Raptor wrote: »

Selected people gets referred to a new company called Turas Nua. This is a recruitment agency where employers tell them what they're looking for. And Turas Nua will provide free workers while they continue receiving their payment.

Its a free supply of slaves. Why would any employer would want to hire when they can get them for free.

I see another wave of low end MNC jobs taking this up. Like call centre workers for customer care and alike. And the usual retail abuse. Great country to do business in. will they count these ahem people off the dole as jobs created you know the 200k plan ? I assume the agency gets some payment as well ?

I see another wave of low end MNC jobs taking this up. Like call centre workers for customer care and alike. And the usual retail abuse. Great country to do business in. will they count these ahem people off the dole as jobs created you know the 200k plan ? I assume the agency gets some payment as well ?

Its based on the UK system or something like that. But I remember reading something about the UK that they only get paid if they place people. So its forced slavery and the more they get, the better for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The Raptor wrote: »

Define "free workers" and "slaves"? As far as I know, it is only paid work that they set you up with, on the very least minimum wage..

Define "free workers" and "slaves"? As far as I know, it is only paid work that they set you up with, on the very least minimum wage..

It's a bit ambiguous to me, looks like it's a job seeking program, not free labour as jobbridge was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Will it only be available to people receiving JSA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Now they're even promoting these schemes in the soaps, in Corrie Audrey a salon owner I saying she going to hire a hairdresser on one of those government schemes

Advertisement